Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If anything, hopefully our scouts will value natural technical ability above the other aspects of an attackers skill-set, for now on.

Ludens the Red

I'm devastated that Memphis hasn't burst onto the PL scene because he definitely has the potential and has shown it at times throughout the season and moreso for the Dutch national team and PSV.

However, this shouldn't be ok much of a shock that a young, creative player has struggled in this United team.

Di Maria looked like Tom Cleverley, Nani played like Bebe, Rooney has for the most part looked like a Sunday league player, Januzaj forgot how to dribble with the ball whilst Young, Valencia, Fellaini... Players who are way less talented but able to play less with instinct and follow rigid instructions, have prospered.

I remember watching the Bayern team under van Gaal and being extremely impressed at how controlled they were in their approach to the game so I know our system CAN work with creative, instinctive players but it seems the United players, Memphis included, have been unable to adjust so well.

The fact Robben and Ribery have also featured in Pep's teams would suggest they are flexible enough to play both styles.
I think you're fishing a bit here tbh. Nani had a very good first season at United, you could see the talent was there it was just getting it out of him, the same thing goes for Januzaj who was very good in his first season, hell even Di Maria did well for 3 months. Fellaini and Valencia have also definitely not 'prospered' under van Gaal.
With Memphis there is literally no positive from his first season. There's no sign of a talented young player, there's no sign of a determined youngster, there's nothing, just some bloke who likes tattoos, haircuts and going to the gym.
I loathe van Gaal as much as the next person but he's not to blame for Memphis. Martial, Rashford and Lingaard , our other attacking youngsters don't turn in the same tumescent displays that he does.

Hed Zitin

I can only see Martial owning the left wing next season, so I don't see him getting a run of games for him to improve on. Maybe the EL will give him the games.

Eredivisie is an unreliable barometer of a player. Maybe he simply isn't all that.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Hopefully that's his season finished now. Needs a good long break and a fresh start in next pre-season.

He got a chance today and didn't use it. Shouldn't be in the team for the next games. Januzaj should get a chance from the bench.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Tough to say many good things. Got a full 90 in his preferred position against a piss poor opposition, and showed virtually nothing.

Definitely worth keeping as we're hardly going to get much dosh for him AND we'd have to replace him. Let's see how he does with a new manager.

kundalini

Says everything about LVG's poor judgement that Memphis gets tons of playing time while Pereira and Januzaj barely get any. Memphis must be one of the worst performers in the PL this season.

JackXX

We need to loan him out preferably back to a Dutch side or sell him in the summer. He looks completely lost on a football pitch. I think moving to United was far too much for him mentally. I don't know if he was ever good enough to come and play here but I can cross better than he can it's embarrassing to watch.

amolbhatia50k

We need to loan him out preferably back to a Dutch side or sell him in the summer. He looks completely lost on a football pitch. I think moving to United was far too much for him mentally. I don't know if he was ever good enough to come and play here but I can cross better than he can it's embarrassing to watch.
Loan him to an Italian, French or German side. I don't think it makes sense for him to go to such an easy league like the Dutch one again.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Loan him to an Italian, French or German side. I don't think it makes sense for him to go to such an easy league like the Dutch one again.
I don't think it'll work out for him in the Italian or the German league. He doesn't have the work rate, skill, speed or the desire to be a success against resolute and organized teams he'll encounter in those leagues.

We should check if PSG are stupid enough to take him off our hands, or this is a 50m+ write off (wages included).

amolbhatia50k

I don't think it'll work out for him in the Italian or the German league. He doesn't have the work rate, skill, speed or the desire to be a success against resolute and organized teams he'll encounter in those leagues.

We should check if PSG are stupid enough to take him off our hands, or this is a 50m+ write off (wages included).
Even they aren't that stupid. Noone is going to buy him for a good fee right now. Our only hope (other than him being a hit next season) is that he does well enough in another league to be ready for the PL and Manchester United, or not quite good enough for us to resign/bring him back but good enough for another team to pay an acceptable fee.

It's an important decision because we can't afford to have him stinking up our left flank next season. We need someone who can take a bit of pressure of Martial and be a threat himself. And I'm sure there are enough other talents we can go for. So we have to make sure we get this decision right rather than just be lazy about it and hope for the best.

settembrini

I think if we sell him this summer we could get most of our money back. If we keep him and he has another poor season then his value will really start to plummet.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Even they aren't that stupid. Noone is going to buy him for a good fee right now. Our only hope (other than him being a hit next season) is that he does well enough in another league to be ready for the PL and Manchester United, or not quite good enough for us to resign/bring him back but good enough for another team to pay an acceptable fee.

It's an important decision because we can't afford to have him stinking up our left flank next season. We need someone who can take a bit of pressure of Martial and be a threat himself. And I'm sure there are enough other talents we can go for. So we have to make sure we get this decision right rather than just be lazy about it and hope for the best.
I agree. Don't think anyone is going to buy him, and there is no point keeping him as Martial owns the left attacking position. We should send him on loan; though I don't see him succeeding in any of the top leagues. Plus, I think we'll be subsidising most of his exorbitant wages on loan.

I can't see it panning any other way than a write off. Would love to be proven wrong though.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
This young, talented, give him time nonsense should stop right now. The guy is fecking shit and nowhere near good enough as has been obvious for a long time now. Young players need to show talent and potential to deserve more time.

Keeping him for another couple of years will not increase his price tag not that we get good prices in any case. Nani is light years ahead of him and we sold him for pittance. Advertise him to clubs with the midgetland youtube videio and maybe we'll find someone gullible enough to sign him. Seems to be plenty of them on the caf at any rate. Just get rid.

Hard to know what Mourinho would do but it didn't take him long to bin Quaresma who was more talented and brought by Mourinho himself.

Devil81

Honestly can't believe he wasn't subbed, he was beyond useless during the match.

amolbhatia50k

I agree. Don't think anyone is going to buy him, and there is no point keeping him as Martial owns the left attacking position. We should send him on loan; though I don't see him succeeding in any of the top leagues. Plus, I think we'll be subsidising most of his exorbitant wages on loan.

I can't see it panning any other way than a write off. Would love to be proven wrong though.
I just hope we get this one right. We really need to. This season we banked on Memphis, Rooney and Mata, and it turned out to be a terrible decision. While Martial is our LW, we need another left winger to give a threat and provide genuine quality. Even someone who can perform as well as a Tadic, Montero etc.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I just hope we get this one right. We really need to. This season we banked on Memphis, Rooney and Mata, and it turned out to be a terrible decision. While Martial is our LW, we need another left winger to give a threat and provide genuine quality. Even someone who can perform as well as a Tadic, Montero etc.
Our attack is so bare that I don't know how many we need.

We definitely need a pacey right winger
We definitely need a top striker
I would love for us to go for Griezmann to play behind the striker

For the LW, I would be happy if we put our trust in Januzaj as a back-up; and hopefully he can replicate his early form from the season under Moyes.

hobbers

Genuinely awful today. Not a single positive to take from that performance.

Ship him off on loan.

Bojan11

Tough to say many good things. Got a full 90 in his preferred position against a piss poor opposition, and showed virtually nothing.

Definitely worth keeping as we're hardly going to get much dosh for him AND we'd have to replace him. Let's see how he does with a new manager.
If we keep him longer we might not get much for him too.

I don't think he's good enough. He does well against Brugge and midtjylland. But in the premier league he has struggled to show any performances like the above two.

tom33

If he starts next season in the same form, I'd be on the phone with PSV asking whether they are interested in taking him back on loan. I don't understand how he's been as terrible as he has this year.

Keenst

I'm willing to give him a chance. Who knows, maybe he can turn it round next season. His head does not seem right at the moment, needs to sort himself out.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I'm willing to give him a chance. Who knows, maybe he can turn it round next season. His head does not seem right at the moment, needs to sort himself out.
Play a game against the midgets tonight and he'll score 5 again.

decorativeed

Bebe showed more for us than he has. That was one of the worst individual performances I've ever seen from a United player.

decorativeed

Maybe there is some exaggeration there but it is easily one of the worst matches I've seen from a player. He didn't get a single thing right today. To think we've spent almost £90m on two players to fill that number 7 shirt and we're worse off than when we had Nani in the side.

Acole9

Outstanding
He was very lucky not to be subbed today, he almost looked like he wanted to be judging by the way he played. That cross in the first five minutes summed up his day.

Adebesi

Ive been saying we should give him another season to prove himself for some time, and the fair minded part of me still thinks we should but he is making it very difficult. He was woeful today.

But I do believe he has more to offer than he's shown and I dont see we have much to lose keeping him around next season. He will have to up his game considerably or he will end up going the way of Obertan.

JackXX

The way he has played I'd be delighted if PSV took him back tbh. I doubt he's going to be picking and choosing where to go.

The United

The guy is odd that he couldn't beat anyone or bring the ball forward often enough while being a winger.

I am still giving him another season at least though.

stu_1992

This was a great chance for him today, and he didn't put in a good performance at all. Very disappointing.

C'est Moi Cantona

What's happened to Depay is crazy, he's way better than this but he just can't seem to get going under LvG, you do fear who we could bin if LvG stays next season, Depay, Herrera, Schneiderlin, Mata, the list goes on, I just hope he isn't given the chance.

Eddy_JukeZ

He is absolutely terrible. And I don't think even think it's the adjustment thing that's the issue.

I don't think he's that talented. Like a few others eluded, what talent is he showing? Where is the talent? Should be nowhere near the team. Wouldn't be bothered if he was sold this summer. Plenty of better players out there.

Kopral Jono

This young, talented, give him time nonsense should stop right now. The guy is fecking shit and nowhere near good enough as has been obvious for a long time now. Young players need to show talent and potential to deserve more time.

Keeping him for another couple of years will not increase his price tag not that we get good prices in any case. Nani is light years ahead of him and we sold him for pittance. Advertise him to clubs with the midgetland youtube videio and maybe we'll find someone gullible enough to sign him. Seems to be plenty of them on the caf at any rate. Just get rid.

Hard to know what Mourinho would do but it didn't take him long to bin Quaresma who was more talented and brought by Mourinho himself.
Amen, brother. Amen.

Classical Mechanic

I haven't rated him since for a long time. It was as Hargreaves's said during commentary, 'if you are young and talented it means nothing (aimed at Januzaj) too, you have to work hard and show for the ball and cause havoc. Depay seems to want the game to come to him and when it does he lacks the quality from there. He can't handle the pace and pressure of the league either. He is deceptively weak and cumbersome. I suspect this is from weight lifting.

Ryan7

Appalling today. Laughable how he remained on the pitch for almost the entire match.

Ibi Dreams

He is absolutely terrible. And I don't think even think it's the adjustment thing that's the issue.

I don't think he's that talented. Like a few others eluded, what talent is he showing? Where is the talent? Should be nowhere near the team. Wouldn't be bothered if he was sold this summer. Plenty of better players out there.
Just because he isn't showing much talent at the moment doesn't mean he doesn't have any. I think he's just mentally not with it at the moment and nothing he tries to do works. He obviously isn't as poor a player as he looked today, he can do and has done much much better. I think his free kicks tell a story - he scored 7 of them last season and the players keep letting him take them, so he must be doing them in training. Yet when he actually does it in game they are nearly always useless. It isn't that he is just shit at them, he demonstrably isn't, but they're just not happening for whatever reason. I think it's the same for his all round game, he is definitely a better player than he is showing at the moment.

RRCE

He really was dreadful today. It's not an exaggeration to say that it was one of the worst performances in a United shirt in quite some time. How he was allowed to stay on for the entire match is beyond me. He hasn't played much, so some rust is excusable. Similarly, I have no problem letting him try to play his way out of the rut he's in. That said, there's a point where, as a Manager, you have to take the blinders off and make a change. It was a must win game, and we spent the majority of it chasing a goal but creating virtually nothing. Memphis killed the play almost every time he got the ball. It was baffling that Van Gaal persisted with him. He must really lack faith in Januzaj.

I'm not sure what to think of Memphis at this point. He played well in the World Cup, which can sometimes be misleading (Kleberson). He also played very well in Holland last season, although success in the Dutch league doesn't always translate (Kezman). Van Gaal worked with him with the national team. If Memphis lacked skill, work ethic or character, I can't imagine he would have advocated to make the transfer happen the way he did. Memphis clearly has physical attributes, and has shown flashes of skill. He's so far out in the wilderness right now, though, you have to wonder whether he can find his way back, at least at Old Trafford. At the moment, his decision making is shocking, his technique is lacking and his confidence is shot. He needs a good off-season program and a fresh start next season. If he focuses on his football, he can hopefully find his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.