g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Memphis Depay image 7

Memphis Depay Netherlands flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

finneh

He needs another season, LVG really does not know how to handle certain players. He'd have probably dropped Ronaldo because he was too greedy and alienated him from the club. His man management is shocking, sure you can talk about how the modern footballer is a prima donna, and even if that is the case, you still need to know how to manage them. This guy isn't a lost cause like Ravel Morrison, he's a talented young player who is frustrated at how his season has turned out. It would be a huge mistake to sell him already, we wouldn't recoup the money and he could still become a top player.
The bolded is why I'm so willing to let him go. I haven't seen a shred this season, particularly against semi-decent opposition that backs up that he's talented or that he could ever be a top player.

The closest he's come to either is making Lingard look like a very talented, potentially top class player by comparison.

Fer

I still have no idea what happened with him. He is definitely talented, I watched most of PSV games last season. But now, he looks like a different player.

He was also good taking freekicks, I hope he can improve next season. I think he would be better in a 433 because as far as I remember, he used to be more a finisher than a creator.

izec

At least he knows he is shit and doesnt deserve to be there on merit. Like it, hopefully he feels embarrassed of himself and starts to focus. Make or break season if we keep him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
LvG specifically waited one year before signing him. Perhaps he should wait more... doesn't mean the player is finished here.

DocRockter

Playing without Shaw is the biggest reason.. It has nothing to do with LVG, playing in the PL was just too hard for him and without his LB, it became impossible. Hoping he can get some rest and comes beck all guns blazing staring pre-season..

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Whether it's true or not - is of no actual relevance. Anybody who watch us play this season saw that Depay is extremely unprofessional and uncommitted. He simply gets his huge paycheck and could not be bother really.
And clearly LVG methods are not working, with the exception of couple of solid games he was awful even when LVG finally dropped him. So LVG could not motivate him.
Dont agree with that. Yes he's been shite but im sure he's as annoyed about that as anyone.

From what ive seen and heard of him in interviews he seems incredibly driven. Plenty of articles when we signed him about the work he does on the training ground and adamant about wanting to work hard to be the best player in the world. You can also tell by his incredible physique that this is a player that looks after himself.

He's young and in his first season in a new country. He's already admitted to struggling hugely with the speed of the game in england. He has the weight of a big money transfer, being hopelessly out of form and being in and out of the side.

I have my doubts with him but i dont think its a bad thing if hes threw the toys out at being dropped. Again it shows he cares, and contradicts what you're saying about collecting his paycheck and not being bothered.

Morpheus 7

I would rather Depay in the squad if we need a goal late on.I hope he keeps working hard over the summer, he is a talented boy. Maybe the attitude is the problem, more than likely lvg is the problem. He has shattered his confidence on the pitch. Hopefully tomorrow is the last of Van Gaal's decisions. A new manager and Depay could get a new lease of life, just hope he's still here and we reap the rewards.

Walters_19_MuFc

Playing without Shaw is the biggest reason.. It has nothing to do with LVG, playing in the PL was just too hard for him and without his LB, it became impossible. Hoping he can get some rest and comes beck all guns blazing staring pre-season..
Playing without Shaw doesn't give him a bad touch or make him look clumsy. I like Depay, but he doesn't look like he could be a top player at the moment.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

It's clear that he is struggling against better players now that he has arrived in the Premier League.

The fact that we are playing a slow style isn't helping him as he is mostly suited to counter attacking football.
But it doesn't excuse him for being too slow to react or making wrong decisions.

Should he get a chance next season? Probably, but Martial is the LW for now and the coming future and the idea of him playing on the right doesn't seem realistic because that isn't his position.
He could waste another year staying with us, and being the ambitious guy i think he is, maybe he will ask for a loan or to be sold.

dichinero

Whether it's true or not - is of no actual relevance. Anybody who watch us play this season saw that Depay is extremely unprofessional and uncommitted. He simply gets his huge paycheck and could not be bother really.
And clearly LVG methods are not working, with the exception of couple of solid games he was awful even when LVG finally dropped him. So LVG could not motivate him.
Are you a sports psychologist?

adamwest

Not surprising though is it? He's clearly fallen way out of favour with LVG.

Definitely something to this lad though. Early on him and Shaw were ripping it up down the left and although it was against minnows he tore it up during that Europa League match. Put in a seriously mature and dedicated display against Arsenal at home as well. He's had an abundance of shocking moments, abject displays and underwhelming sub appearances but for some reason I can see him succeeding here providing the next manager believes in him (and he puts in the effort).

khoazany

I would send him on loan next season to another PL team.We need to see whether he can adapt/raise his game to play the PL but we can't afford to carry a passenger for another season.Both Lingard and Januzaj have shown more in the PL than him and we definitely are going to sign some attackers.

Esquire

If the various articles are true, then he has an attitude problem. He needs to adjust mentally and I don't think he has come around to the fact that this is United he is playing for and that he is no longer the main man.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Players have known about the team selection for 2 days according to van Gaal, unless Memphis has some off the scale cognitive problems then I'd suggest he probably didn't storm off.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
There were a few stories/leaks sometime ago that Giggs was coaching him, one on one....
About a month later, there were stories that Giggs had given up on him.

For what it's worth, I never did rate him. His attitude is ridiculous, he has cost us several points and he hasn't seemed to have adapted his game at all

crossy1686

career ending
A lot of talk of Depay being finished at United due to being dropped for the final but is he really thought?

If LvG feels he can't trust Memphis to put in a performance, in what is probably his last game in charge of United, then no wonder he's not picked him.

Parry Gallister

Should be on the bench imho, if we need someone who can get a goal late on we're very short on options (not that he's a particularly good one)

Status
Not open for further replies.