5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilev

You are still recycling the same thing. You know nothing beyond what everyone sees on the pitch and what you hear in the media.
Of course. I never disputed that. The thing you fail to understand is it is more that enough to judge whether he was professional or not.

dichinero

Of course. I never disputed that. The thing you fail to understand is it is more that enough to judge whether he was professional or not.
We will just agree to disagree, which I have no problem with. I just don't know how a fan can call a footballer severely unprofessional, uncommitted, ill disciplined and whatever else you called him without being privy to any inside knowledge or working with the player. You, like any other fan don't how much work he puts in the gym, how well he looks after himself, how much work he does individually, how much ambition he has, what his personal goals are, whether he is happy or not etc and yet with only a couple minutes a month you have more than enough to decide on his professionalism.
I'm not sure how he would have led his team to a league victory in the Eredivisie, be the best player in the league, make the WC squad and do reasonably well enough to earn a move to Manchester United. But after 9 months under LVG you have concluded on your opinion. Each to their own.

Mark Pawelek

I just don't know how a fan can call a footballer severely unprofessional, uncommitted, ill disciplined and whatever else you called him without being privy to any inside knowledge or working with the player.
Because football fans are a bunch of conceited loudmouths who love nothing better than slagging off whoever is the current most hated person at their club.

Vilev

I'm not sure how he would have led his team to a league victory in the Eredivisie, be the best player in the league, make the WC squad and do reasonably well enough to earn a move to Manchester United. But after 9 months under LVG you have concluded on your opinion. Each to their own.
Easy, when he was doing all that he was not getting crazy money.
I just don't know how a fan can call a footballer severely unprofessional, uncommitted, ill disciplined and whatever else
And I have explained it at length. If a player can't even pt in work-rate, something that has nothing to do with confidence, level of play etc, it's obvious he is just not determined enough.

ricky-romeo

do you not think Martial will be moved to a central position in the near future - bit like Henry. That would open up the position for Memphis. Not given up on the kid yet. Might thrive under a different manager.
just saying it is going to be tough for him, never said it is definitely over.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I would give Memphis another season. You don't turn into a shit player after such a good season with club and country. Lack of confidence can make or break these type of players.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We aren't selling a player that cost us 30m last year, don't see why people think we would. 1 season doesn't make or break a young player. Just because some fans have taken him on as their scapegoat.

izec

I dont think it is a coincidence they bonded so quickly, both have the biggest butts in the squad. They probably squat together everyday.

NoLogo

While I just don't see him ever being world class, I think he simply lacks the football inteligence for that, he deserves a second chance under a new coach and show what he can do if has a manager that will give him some confidence in his ability.

dichinero

Memphis and Luke,
Playing on the wings
K-I-C-K-I-N-G
First comes a cross
Then comes a feint
Here comes the hat trick in the last minute!

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Things have gone from bad to worse, if we believe the rumors his no 7 will be taken away from him as well, I can understand it, but it will demolish his confidence even more. Hope he has the drive to work his way back, otherwise he wont be here for long it seems.

TehRed

If he doesn't improve next season under Jose, it's time to show him the door. He's got everything you'd want in a young wing prospect, except confidence. If he can't get back to somewhere near where he should be after a run in the side under Jose, it'll be time to cut our losses. Same goes for Januzaj, really. Ashley Young and Valencia are ready and waiting to take those backup winger spots.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If he doesn't improve next season under Jose, it's time to show him the door. He's got everything you'd want in a young wing prospect, except confidence. If he can't get back to somewhere near where he should be after a run in the side under Jose, it'll be time to cut our losses. Same goes for Januzaj, really. Ashley Young and Valencia are ready and waiting to take those backup winger spots.
Yeah this. I really want him to succeed. He needs another year. I think that goes for the majority who faltered this season, especially the new signings. Give them another go under a manager who won't totally sap all confidence out of everyone (at least I hope not) and see if there are signs of improvement. Hard to say if Memphis's future is here, but either way I think he is and will be a much better player than we saw this season.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Things have gone from bad to worse, if we believe the rumors his no 7 will be taken away from him as well, I can understand it, but it will demolish his confidence even more. Hope he has the drive to work his way back, otherwise he wont be here for long it seems.
Are there rumours of that? It'll be ridiculous if they do it and frankly fecking childish. It is a number and people need to get over it. He has the number now and he should keep it.

tomaldinho1

Someone needs to have a word with him about that upholstery...

I think of all our players he is the one I will be most interested to watch develop (nor not develop) under Mou. I really want him to do well and like the fact he is a bit arrogant and deluded with his own image - I think you kind of need that to become a great player. Fingers crossed he will be.

If this message is being rerecorded this time next year, on your bike Memphis

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
That video says a lot to me about him. All these bollocks mottos and telling us how much he's dreaming, when the bottom line is he's been shit. He's all about his image. He's clearly not working as hard as he should be!

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

khoazany

It's a given that he won't be sold this summer but I don't have any confidence on him turning the tide.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
never bought the hype when we bought him and I've been critic of him, but i definitely want him to have more chances this new season. He is young and knows he has to do better. Sometimes shit doesn't come out the first try the way you wanted, but you keep trying.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Very terrible season but I'd give him another go. However, before memphis, I'd like us to give Januzaj a change. At least Janu has proved that he can do it on the highest level.

ti vu

Very terrible season but I'd give him another go. However, before memphis, I'd like us to give Januzaj a change. At least Janu has proved that he can do it on the highest level.
I disagree. Both ain't deserved any privileges. They both start a new chapter with the new manager. They need to impress him and earn the game time. There should be no order of who need the game time first, among those with unproven quality. Our priority is getting a strong starting XI and substitutes in order to meet / overachieve any expectations for this first season. Mourinho's not here to vindicate/criticize our past failed managers' man management or integrate youth, but to build his own team. I can't think of any serious team that change the formations and players every game like we was the last 3 years

Last edited:

Golden Nugget

He's arrogant and deluded (it hasn't been 50/50, more like 10/90), but it's good to see that his head hasn't dropped despite obviously falling out of favour with the previous manager. You need that arrogance to make it big - and despite what other posters say, I still think he is a talented player. He's 22, played under a manager that doesn't play to his style - lets see how he does under Mourinho - a manager that is known to be loved by players and getting the best out of them.

Don't take the number 7 off him either - it's plain stupid and it's just a number

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's arrogant and deluded (it hasn't been 50/50, more like 10/90), but it's good to see that his head hasn't dropped despite obviously falling out of favour with the previous manager. You need that arrogance to make it big - and despite what other posters say, I still think he is a talented player. He's 22, played under a manager that doesn't play to his style - lets see how he does under Mourinho - a manager that is known to be loved by players and getting the best out of them.

Don't take the number 7 off him either - it's plain stupid and it's just a number
Not really. Martial doesn't appear to have that arrogance. Same with De Gea. Taking another extreme, Hernandez has definitely made it big, and has never had an arrogant attitude either. It works for some players, but it's not really a necessity.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He won't be sold but he's going to spend most of next season on the bench.

jem

While I just don't see him ever being world class, I think he simply lacks the football inteligence for that, he deserves a second chance under a new coach and show what he can do if has a manager that will give him some confidence in his ability.
I blame LVG for much of the underperformance throughout the squad, but I fail to see how he held Depay back. Memphis is one of the few players who didn't look like he was being shackled; in other words, he appeared to have the freedom to attack and make things happen. He just failed miserably at doing so.

El Jefe

He will be an option on the right wing next season and rightly so imo. I think we missed a trick by not trying him there a bit more. In the second half against PSV away he played there and was our motm.

He had a stinker of a season of course but I think he will be even more motivated under Jose and hopefully he can turn it around.

SSSSnake

Unless he can change his mentality he has no chance. Jose expects the very best from everyone and he'll see in training if he's not working hard. I hope he can turn it around but I just don't see it personally.

dichinero

He will be an option on the right wing next season and rightly so imo. I think we missed a trick by not trying him there a bit more. In the second half against PSV away he played there and was our motm.

He had a stinker of a season of course but I think he will be even more motivated under Jose and hopefully he can turn it around.
:)

Duafc

Village Lemon
I can see him exploding under Jose to be honest.
Hopefully! Though I fear it may very much depend on who comes in this summer and what team starts the season.

I don't think he'll ever thrive from the bench, too reliant on form an confidence it seems. If he gets a good fullback behind him and a run of games he could be a player for us.

Would love him to start well and fulfill his talent with us.

NoLogo

I blame LVG for much of the underperformance throughout the squad, but I fail to see how he held Depay back. Memphis is one of the few players who didn't look like he was being shackled; in other words, he appeared to have the freedom to attack and make things happen. He just failed miserably at doing so.
I agree to some extend, he certainly did shoot a lot and it was horrible apart from a handful of shots, but as we know now that LvG sent his players e-mails in which he detailed all their mistakes, other players who had him before were complaining about that he sometimes endlessly treated around on any little mistake they made, constantly tried to correct them and while I'm sure he and his coaching staff did that to help his players improve it the constant criticism can have a detrimental effect on some players.

That being said I simply don't believe Depay has what it takes to be among the very best players, neither ability wise nor mentally. Somehow I get the same vibe from him that I get from Shaqiri, talented players but somehow it all doesn't really fit together to form a convincing package.

Status
Not open for further replies.