Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Should spend the summer purely working on acceleration and trimming some weight imo. He has the skill to beat a man, but it's pointless as he's not fast enough to use the space he creates.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wonder how he will get on with Ibrahimovic. Can imagine being called out on his lack of effort and silly mottos if he doesn't pull his weight. If he really does believe everything he says hopefully he will step up next year.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Not really. Martial doesn't appear to have that arrogance. Same with De Gea. Taking another extreme, Hernandez has definitely made it big, and has never had an arrogant attitude either. It works for some players, but it's not really a necessity.
I'm sure they do, you have to at a certain level but they don't display like Depay does. To become a top class professional, you have to believe in yourself, that you're the best etc etc..

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Wonder how he will get on with Ibrahimovic. Can imagine being called out on his lack of effort and silly mottos if he doesn't pull his weight. If he really does believe everything he says hopefully he will step up next year.
You kidding me, Ibra will come in like a father figure and convince him he can do everything.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm sure they do, you have to at a certain level but they don't display like Depay does. To become a top class professional, you have to believe in yourself, that you're the best etc etc..
Believing in yourself is not arrogance, it is confidence.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Its arrogance when you can't back it up with performance
De Gea and Martial do just that.

Confidence can easily become arrogance. You cannot be a top player if you don't have some form of ego and high self believe.
But it hasn't with them (on the face of it).

And again, most people have some sort of self belief and ego. It doesn't mean they are arrogant.

Arrogant - having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

It's not really this big necessity. Humble players who are confident but arrogant have also been great players.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

And again, most people have some sort of self belief and ego. It doesn't mean they are arrogant.

Arrogant - having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

It's not really this big necessity. Humble players who are confident but arrogant have also been great players.
I'm basing this on no real proof but I'm 100% sure they are arrogant, I don't see it as a bad thing tbh. How they behave publicly can differ from player to player of course.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Netherlands could play with 10 men and not notice the difference. He has a tendency to do things the easy way and that doesn't cut it on a level above the Eredivisie. He seems to have problems with focus and intensity. Nothing too problematic IMO. Should improve next season though.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

They certainly do, Memphis does not.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Hopefully! Though I fear it may very much depend on who comes in this summer and what team starts the season.

I don't think he'll ever thrive from the bench, too reliant on form an confidence it seems. If he gets a good fullback behind him and a run of games he could be a player for us.

Would love him to start well and fulfill his talent with us.
Why is that? Was there a period when he gained some confidence and played well? Have I missed something?

I think that after "the Shaw" myth this cliche about condifence is the second I disagree the most with (no offence to you mate, just I can hear it often on the caf). He seems to have plenty of confidence and self belief, the more he struggles the more difficult shots or ridiculous driblings he tries. He could be some player if he only had some skills.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
A plus that he's not at the Euros. Take the summer (few weeks) to sort himself put mentally. Come back for pre-season determined and focussed. Prove yourself on the tour when, players like Martial and Rooney will be resting from the Euros, and earn your place in this team.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If he's smart, he'll come in lean and agile, not strong and bulked up. As I've been saying for a while, it'll work miracles for him. Whoever gave him the advice to bulk up is an idiot. That's not the type of player he is at all.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Getting slaughtered on Twitter. I simply don't think he has the talent to play at the highest level. It's nothing to do with confidence IMO.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think a lot of its confidence personally, form is one of the biggest drivers in football and hugely understated

Laphroaig

He's arrogant and deluded (it hasn't been 50/50, more like 10/90)
No, he's spot on. The 50/50 stuff was about the amount of games, and yes, he's started 27 games out of 59. Close enough.
Hate to say it, but no, it was a bad year. Lots of improvement needed if he wishes to survive under Jose.
He's probably talking from his own perspective, not yours... He's not just talking about how good he's been, but about his experience. Nothing wrong with what he's saying, actually I think it's good to hear that he's not too down about the season despite not doing well enough (which is his opinion too, you know) and reports of clashes with coaches.

He's basically saying it's been a tough year, it's been a new and difficult experience, but he's optimistic and he's going to work hard to get better. How is that used against him? I like the video, but he should probably stop doing them, because the fans will twist his words and used them against him, even when they're just making stuff up.

JeffBoomTetris

Is it the first time that a player has come to the PL and been told to bulk down? He has too much lean muscle mass and seems so laboured in his movements. Not very agile for a forward let alone a winger

Shark

@NotShark
I think a lot of its confidence personally, form is one of the biggest drivers in football and hugely understated
Confidence could be a big contributor, but we could have another Nani on our hands or worse if his confidence continues to be this brittle. In saying that, I honestly think he deserves another season, and I'm looking toward to seeing how Mourinho handles him.

Gerald G

His confidence is absolutely shot. I'm quite sad for him. I remember watching him vs Spain - before he signed for United - and he was brilliant and deservedly won the MOTM award. I was really excited for him to play for us but it's been a very disappointing season.

I just really hope that with Mourinho next season he can improve and get back to the player he was before. He has talent but I just hope he can fulfill it. Not sure if it's LVG's fault or Memphis' or a bit of both, whatever it was, I hope he can improve next season to a good player - the player it looked like we had signed.

El Zoido

Getting slaughtered on Twitter. I simply don't think he has the talent to play at the highest level. It's nothing to do with confidence IMO.
Nonsense, many less talented players have made a name for themselves in the premier league. He needs to take a break over summer and start fresh next season under Jose.

dichinero

His confidence is absolutely shot. I'm quite sad for him. I remember watching him vs Spain - before he signed for United - and he was brilliant and deservedly won the MOTM award. I was really excited for him to play for us but it's been a very disappointing season.

I just really hope that with Mourinho next season he can improve and get back to the player he was before. He has talent but I just hope he can fulfill it. Not sure if it's LVG's fault or Memphis' or a bit of both, whatever it was, I hope he can improve next season to a good player - the player it looked like we had signed.
I prefer to read this kind of comments. Funny how people are defining confidence on the pitch by what they see off the pitch. It's one thing to force confidence from within its another to have confidence from your manager. What he does for his national team hold little importance. I hope José can get the best out of him.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
This kid just need an arm around the shoulders and kick in the butt. JM should man him up a bit, too much stupid publicity and less focus in the game. He is only young and its only fair to give him another chance. I hope JM will play the kid to his strength. He thinks he is messi, somebody have to tell him to keep it simple so he can involve in the game a bit more. Jm is the man, or his staffs, our current bunch actually regressed the guy. Not that he is helping his own case, mind.

Phil

I feel for him, really hope JoMo (sorry) can improve him this year. He's a kid in a new country and no one knows what sort of effort he puts in before, during and after training.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I think Mourinho should sell him or send him on loan. Too risky having him as back up next season because if he doesn't greatly improve he is completely useless. We need proper back up for Martial

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
This kid just need an arm around the shoulders and kick in the butt. JM should man him up a bit, too much stupid publicity and less focus in the game. He is only young and its only fair to give him another chance. I hope JM will play the kid to his strength. He thinks he is messi, somebody have to tell him to keep it simple so he can involve in the game a bit more. Jm is the man, or his staffs, our current bunch actually regressed the guy. Not that he is helping his own case, mind.
I feel for him, really hope Mourinho (sorry) can improve him this year. He's a kid in a new country and no one knows what sort of effort he puts in before, during and after training.
I can just about tolerate someone like Rashford being referred to as a kid. Depay is 22 years old, he's not a kid that needs mollycoddling.

Idiot needs to lose muscle and realise he's not the next Ronaldo who can stroll around up front without putting any effort in.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The thing that frustrates me the most isn't is awful record at beating his makers but the lack of intensity in his game. The two might go hand in hand. Whatever you want to do do it quick. It's like he wants to do everything at his own pace then he expects defenders to fall for his tricks.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
No, he's spot on. The 50/50 stuff was about the amount of games, and yes, he's started 27 games out of 59. Close enough.
He's probably talking from his own perspective, not yours... He's not just talking about how good he's been, but about his experience. Nothing wrong with what he's saying, actually I think it's good to hear that he's not too down about the season despite not doing well enough (which is his opinion too, you know) and reports of clashes with coaches.

He's basically saying it's been a tough year, it's been a new and difficult experience, but he's optimistic and he's going to work hard to get better. How is that used against him? I like the video, but he should probably stop doing them, because the fans will twist his words and used them against him, even when they're just making stuff up.
Fair enough, good points. It’s actually good he’ll have the summer off, has to show what he’s capable of and work harder on the pitch, otherwise I feel he’ll be out by summer 2017.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If he really isn't a hard worker in training than Mourinho will sort him out by getting rid of him our change his tune. I think LvG would have done the same after this season.

He will rightly get another chance under Mourinho. He's clearly got the talent but his size and his lack of confidence are hindering him. He's not trying things anymore and when he does he is not nimble enough to pull it off. He set himself up for the fall by coming in like he was already a star but its still sad to see. Hopefully he will do a Luke Shaw over the summer.

dogwithabone

In a nutshell that's it. He just does not possess the talent at this level. I feel a tad sorry for him because he's out of his depth and people are hammering him for it but what can he do if he just doesn't have the ability ? You cannot coach ability into a player, there has to be a basis to work from and Depay needs to head back to the Dutch league and carve a great career at that level. His level.

Varun

Staff
Should spend the summer purely working on acceleration and trimming some weight imo. He has the skill to beat a man, but it's pointless as he's not fast enough to use the space he creates.
This is something I have never agreed to even while we still hadnt signed him. I dont see any great dribbling ability in Memphis. If I had to put money on one of Memphis or Young to beat their man, I'd put it on Young every single time and even he is no great shakes when it comes to dribbling.

I do agree that he needs to shed some weight though, seems to cost him his agility.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Playing in a far less passive style of football will help him great imo, he needs that little extra bit of space to perform and that's why we missed Shaw on the left, a genuine threat who could create him that space. Will need to muck in hell of a lot more though.

Status
Not open for further replies.