Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
A lot of the criticism against him is understandable to me. Last season Di Maria got lots of chances even when his form dropped, all while Young sat on the bench, and people got pissed off because it looked like Di Maria was getting minutes because he was a bigger name on a bigger contract etc. A similar thing could happen with Memphis instead, which really would be a Van Gaal issue not a Memphis one.

As for the player himself, I like what I've seen so far. People have latched on to a couple anonymous games, but overall he's been what you'd expect a talented young winger at a new club to be.

El-Manos

Has moments of brilliance but is also very wasteful. I'm sure he'll come good, at times he looks phenomenal. Expecting him to be more consistent in his performances come January though. Not sure why people are having a go at him, he is performing pretty much as I expected him to to be honest. The talent is there anyway, no doubt about that. Can't imagine many wingers his age, toy with Carvajal the way he did anyway.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Everyone needs to remember he's also having to adjust to the philosophy. He's not played under it before.

ChaddyP

Frustrating player at times. Brilliant at the other times. Young attacking winger that just came to a bug club in a new country. It happens. I have bug hopes for him and knew he would have been hot and cold. Happy with his progress so far. Will get 10 goals this season which is what I saw him getting. Just needs to settle and stop trying too hard.

Everyone needs to remember he's also having to adjust to the philosophy. He's not played under it before.
He has though.

keener

Cut in - cut in- cut in...

Needs a bit of diversity in his attack IMHO. Go left for a change.

He is frustrating for me to watch as well but a few rays of light are shining down as we see his combinations with Martial. Hopefully they get on the same page and blossom as a partnership.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well the poster said he has never played under the philosophy before. That in fact is false. And yes I'm referring to the NT.
If we are strict, you are right, but national managers have next to no influence in the players tactical teaching. In reality only Blind and Schweinsteiger knew Van gaal or the philosophy. The only time LVG really had the time to to work with the players was just before the world cup and he "taught" them how to counter attack together, which is not the philosophy.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Well the poster said he has never played under the philosophy before. That in fact is false. And yes I'm referring to the NT.
Played a different system with Holland for the world cup, one based more on counter attacking not on our current possession domination. So he didn't have it with the NT nor under PSV. So the fact is true It's also taking Schneirdelin a bit to adapt.

ChaddyP

If we are strict, you are right, but national managers have next to no influence in the players tactical teaching. In reality only Blind and Schweinsteiger knew Van gaal or the philosophy. The only time LVG really had the time to to work with the players was just before the world cup and he "taught" them how to counter attack together, which is not the philosophy.
Played a different system with Holland for the world cup, one based more on counter attacking not on our current possession domination. So he didn't have it with the NT nor under PSV. So the fact is true It's also taking Schneirdelin a bit to adapt.
the philosophy has alot more to do than formation and whether or not we counter attack (btw we also counterattack in this side but thats for another debate) . Fact still remains Depay is not new to LVG's style of management, methods etc, and its not true to say he has not played under the philosophy. Is he still finding his feet? definitely

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
the philosophy has alot more to do than formation and whether or not we counter attack (btw we also counterattack in this side but thats for another debate) . Fact still remains Depay is not new to LVG's style of management, methods etc, and its not true to say he has not played under the philosophy. Is he still finding his feet? definitely
He is totally new to LVG style of management, a national manager isn't a club manager they don't have the same job and don't act the same way. Depay has next to no experience with LVG and he isn't familiar with possession football, he played 13 games, world cup included, that represents around 2 months with LVG, 75% of that time have been played in a philosophy totally different to what we do.

ChaddyP

He is totally new to LVG style of management, a national manager isn't a club manager they don't have the same job and don't act the same way. Depay has next to no experience with LVG and he isn't familiar with possession football, he played 13 games, world cup included, that represents around 2 months with LVG, 75% of that time have been played in a philosophy totally different to what we do.
ok i think we have vastly different views on exactly what LVG means by philosophy

prath92

Pereira has played 1 senior game. Memphis has played 2 full seasons for PSV and is a full starter for his national team where he is a regular source of creativity. He is in a new league which is at least 2-3 levels above the Dutch league and playing here he has been decent and hasn't disappointed. His inexperience in the league is the only reason he isn't getting better end products.

Right now playing Memphis is definitely better than playing pereira

Man Utd 2:1 Wolfsburg

Sam

He's so laid back in everything he does, and its really starting to irritate me. Have some conviction in what you're doing lad.

Eddy_JukeZ

His finishing is indeed too nonchalant at times. Hopefully he'll get better at it.

Thought he played well though.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Good half for him yet again in the UCL.

pseudo_canadian

He gets in fantastic scoring situations but is generally pretty gash with his finishing, just too relaxed it seems. It's really frustrating.

diarm

I don't know if it's fair to criticise his style too much. He was laid back last year but tore sides apart.

I reckon he's overthinking things a little. Just trying a bit too hard and gets in his own head when the chances fall to him. He's so young and it's all so new for him but you can see in the way he finds space and the attacking lines he runs that he's going to be top class.

Another thing that struck me in that half is that maybe with all the fuss that's made of the "physicality of the premier league", I hope he hasn't spent the summer focusing too much on building himself up and not enough on his touch and final ball. Either way, I have total faith in his quality. It was similar in the beginning with Ronaldo - people got frustrated at him while he developed.

CG1010

He gets in fantastic scoring situations but is generally pretty gash with his finishing, just too relaxed it seems. It's really frustrating.
If anything he seems too stressed. It will click for him eventually. Can't forget how Ronaldo would miss chance after chance before eventually scoring. Atleast he is able to get into those positions - often with world class play.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Good half from him. A few losses of the ball of course but he's been a big threat and getting in behind. Probably should've scored though. His heading could use some work.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
I don't know if it's fair to criticise his style too much. He was laid back last year but tore sides apart.

I reckon he's overthinking things a little. Just trying a bit too hard and gets in his own head when the chances fall to him. He's so young and it's all so new for him but you can see in the way he finds space and the attacking lines he runs that he's going to be top class.

Another thing that struck me in that half is that maybe with all the fuss that's made of the "physicality of the premier league", I hope he hasn't spent the summer focusing too much on building himself up and not enough on his touch and final ball. Either way, I have total faith in his quality. It was similar in the beginning with Ronaldo - people got frustrated at him while he developed.
He was a physical beast from a very young age, he's gotten a bit bigger at PSV as he got older but he said he hasn't bulked up in a while. He's very conscious about his body (and the risks of gaining mass) and works with professionals, I doubt he's done stupid things by himself.

dirkey

He's playing well, stick he's getting in the match thread is idiotic.
I disagree. Think he's been very poor. Getting in good positions and squandering it either with bad execution or bad decision making. Also gave the ball away very cheaply a few times in the opening minutes.

Hopefully he'll have me eating my words by the end.

Sam

With respect, you can afford to be laid back in the Dutch league...in the PL and against top European opposition, you just don't get that luxury.

Skills

Snitch
I like him. The only thing that really annoys me is that if and when he beats a man, he seems to almost feel obliged to then take a shot as if it's his right. Too predictable - needs to work on it.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He's playing well, stick he's getting in the match thread is idiotic.
Yeah. He's fluffed a few chances, sure, but done good work to get himself there. Plus his two best ones have been a ball played slightly behind him, and a header - which I don't think anyone thinks is his forte

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Gives the ball away far too much

diarm

He was a physical beast from a very young age, he's gotten a bit bigger at PSV as he got older but he said he hasn't bulked up in a while. He's very conscious about his body (and the risks of gaining mass) and works with professionals, I doubt he's done stupid things by himself.
That's good to hear. He'll be alright. Once he gets a few more goals under his belt and starts to feel comfortable within the system, we'll start to see some real fireworks from the guy.

diarm

With respect, you can afford to be laid back in the Dutch league...in the PL and against top European opposition, you just don't get that luxury.
Yeah I get that. The issue at the moment is that he is getting that space and time because he has the quality to make it for himself, even at this level. I just think when he gets the ball and has a second, he's just overthinking it a little.

Ricardo de la Vega

Playing well. Just wait until this guy puts it all together and learns how to play in this team, league and system. He will be an absolute star. I honestly feel he's got potential to be a top echelon player (Ballon D'or nominee).

dirkey

Not remotely surprised to see him go off. Very poor tonight. Baffled so many here praising him.

Varun

Staff
Memphis needs to learn that this isn't the Dutch league and he isn't going to keep besting players. When he can't, he has to learn to make a yard and put the ball in to use his good crossing ability or play a good pass. Wastes the ball again and again. Has to learn.

Young should take his spot soon if this carries on. Gotta earn your spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.