5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

Lingard is currently a better option on the wing than Memphis despite not in the first team picture of some posters.Pereira is better too if he's used properly as shown today.Martial is by far the best of the lot.
Lingard will be playing for a lower prem/championship in a year or two. He is not better than Memphis.

Kopral Jono

I feel sorry for him because he seems to believe in his own hype when in reality he isn't even good enough to play for us in the first place. Average squad player at best.

Ekeke

Talent is nothing if you dont perform. He clearly has the talent to be a fairly good player, that isnt the issue. He needs to work a lot harder

Chicharito_

All comedy aside that was very worrying from Memphis, his attitude seems extremely poor also which will turn the fans on him quickly.

Happytom82

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Some of you will be proved wrong. That being said, for the time being he is not great at all.

khoazany

Lingard will be playing for a lower prem/championship in a year or two. He is not better than Memphis.
I don't know.Memphis obviously has more raw talents but his current self isn't better than the current Lingard and that's all matter at the moment (my original post didn't say anything about their future).

Goalfather

Memphis looks like he lacks self belief. That kid needs a hand around the shoulder rather than a kick up the arse!

Bojan11

He needs a experienced head in front of him or somebody shouting at him.

Rooney can't do that because he himself is not good enough. But other players need to get on his back about decision making.

He's much better than he is showing. I think people are being harsh and writing him off too easily. He needs a kick up the bum.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Still has a lot to learn about the team aspect of the game. Doesn't work back enough and isn't contributing as a forward either. Still plenty of time, but he needs to start showing signs of commitment and a few signs of improvement soon.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I actually feel sorry for him. Not because he doesn't deserve the criticism, he absolutely does, he's been dire recently and he has shown selfishness and a poor attitude. But because he shouldn't be under so much pressure and scrutiny, because he should not be a first team regular. He's simply not ready.

It seemed evident that we needed another winger for this season, particularly with Young filling in at full-back, but we failed to bring anyone in. Now we have a badly out-of-form 21 (?) year old and barely any alternatives.
great post.

Devil may care

Needs to realize he's not in the Ererdivisie anymore where he had ages to dwell on the ball, and he also needs to get his working boots on, he should take a look at Pereira and Lingard when it comes to the latter.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Confidence? He was trying to lob the keeper from 50yards. He's not the brightest footballer. That is just how he is.

Born2Lose

It's down to him, he's obviously got talent, it's just a question of if he wants to reach his potential or be the next Nani.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Memphis looks like he lacks self belief. That kid needs a hand around the shoulder rather than a kick up the arse!
i have never looked at memphis and thought he lacked self belief, i look at him and think he needs a taking down a peg or two, cos if he actually tracked back and played for the team a bit more, then considering our lack of options in the final third, fans would get off his back and give him the time he needs to adapt and improve

he just needs to try a little harder, and by that i dont mean try a little harder to do something spectacular every time he gets the ball, just protect his full back when he needs it, and occasionally play the simple pass that might allow someone else shine, thats all im asking at this stage.

justboy68

It's down to him, he's obviously got talent, it's just a question of if he wants to reach his potential or be the next Nani.
I really wish people would stop with this shite. You'd think Nani was fecking Obertan and not a former player of the year in a title winning season the way some go on.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
He's always been better? The hope is that Memphis might develop into a player as good or better one day. They are also nothing alike in the way they play or what they can do. Valencia seems a much closer comparison.
valencia tracks back, and is happy to play the simple pass if thats whats best for the team.

Memphis at this stage utterly refuses to defend, and tries to do the spectacular every time he gets the ball, because he could pull it off in the dutch league, but just isnt good enough to pull it off against even championship defenders in this country.

justboy68

valencia tracks back, and is happy to play the sinple pass if thats whats best for the team.

Memphis at this stage utterly refuses to defend, and tries to do the spectacular every time he gets the ball.
True he isn't a good comparison by any means either now that I think about it. Still he at least has somewhat of a powerhouse build in the same way as Valencia. I don't see any comparison whatsoever between him and Nani so I'm not sure why he keeps being brought up.

m1y2

he's even worse than black Ronaldo a coupl seasons back...

his posts on fb and twitter are fecking irritating, comparing to what he showed us on the pitch, look how modest Martial is and you will know what I'm talking about...

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Low on confidence and struggling to settle in, still believe he will come good, just needs more time. Might have wait until next season for that.

But, he's not the player I expected. I thought we would see him taking on more players, a bit more pace. He's fast, but just lacks that raw pace. Needs to keep it more simple too. I feel sorry for him though, LVG put a lot of pressure on him and he's struggling with that. If we had a good winger then this wouldn't be an issue, but we don't and we need him and Martial to be on top form.

Boycott

He probably thought he'd be an instant hit and certainly carries himself like he's made it. And he's now had an almighty reality check which has slapped him hard in the face and taken him down a lot of pegs.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
True he isn't a good comparison either now that I think about it. Still he at least has somewhat of a powerhouse build in the same way as Valencia. I don't see any comparison whatsoever between him and Nani so I'm not sure why he keeps being brought up.
the comparison, is both players go for the spectacular all the time, and steadfastly refuse to track back and work for the team.

course nani did go through spells where he could pull of great plays, and some fans still remember those moments very fondly and have an affection for Nani becuase of it, Others remember the the inconstancy the sulking, the ball hogging and the injuries. people will never agree on Nani cos at times he was great and other times he was utterly $hite!!!!!

but so far in the league at least (he has had his momnets in the CL) Memphis has just been all the bad bits of nani, without any of the good

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
He probably thought he'd be an instant hit and certainly carries himself like he's made it. And he's now had an almighty reality check which has slapped him hard in the face and taken him down a lot of pegs.
This.
How he reacts to the reality of not being as good as he assumed he would be will decide his future here.

surf

15 appearances already, 4 goals, 4 assists, average caf rating 5.9. It's not that bad for a new young player. He needs to put his head down now and get back to some semblance of form.

justboy68

the comparison, is both players go for the spectacular all the time, and steadfastly refuse to track back and work for the team.

course nani did go through spells where he could pull of great plays, and some fans still remember those moments very fondly and have an affection for Nani becuase of it, Others remember the the inconstancy the sulking, the ball hogging and the injuries. people will never agree on Nani cos at times he was great and other times he was utterly $hite!!!!!
Go for the spectacular a lot, yes. But Nani always, always tracked back. He was shite at defending to be sure but he always got back and at least tried to help.

legball

I don't know what to make of him, I don't think he's lacking in confidence, neither is he lacking in talent but he's not very smart, which means he dwells a lot on the ball. In the Eredivise, that might not be a problem, but at this level, it is and I think that's why he's struggling. Look at Martial, even Lingard & Perreira, they have that speed of thought, before the ball comes to them, they know what they want to do, once the ball gets to them they go ahead with it, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't, but you can see what they wanted to do, their intention. With Memphis, I get the feeling that he's always caught in two minds, he lacks that speed of thought & he generally over thinks the whole thing. And one thing i noticed, his footwork is not impressive, the ball is always stuck under his feet, or something like that, he's never really in control of the ball.

legball

Disclaimer: I am not saying he's shit, but there's a lot he can improve upon, and he has the talent & time on his side.

Born2Lose

I really wish people would stop with this shite. You'd think Nani was fecking Obertan and not a former player of the year in a title winning season the way some go on.
Which is my point, Nani had potential but not the attitude to back it up.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
What @legball said, he needs to learn to decide what he wants to do before it happens.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
“I’ve seen enough talent before to know he will come good” seems to be a common expression on here. What is it exactly that people see in him? I’m genuinely curious as I’ve not seen anything that makes him more talented than, lets say, Lingard. Not to mention Pereira (or Januzaj).

Second cliché is “he’s inconsistent”. Well that’s not true, because if he was inconsistent he would do some positive things from time to time, but unfortunately he doesn’t.

The third is “he’s shot on confidence”. I don’t think that’s the case either, otherwise he wouldn’t be attempting those ridiculous long range shots or dribbling past 3 defenders. But that might be because he moves with his head down.

Also, the comparisons to Nani are a bit weird. I believe Nani had all the tools- great both feet, close touch, dribbling- but it never came into one piece, and he was truly inconsistent and frustrating. I never thought he had the brain to make it at top level. In that regard I agree there are some similarities to Memphis, although Depay doesn’t have the tools at the moment.

I just hope we give his playing time to better youngsters like Pereira for example.

Halftrack

I don't think it's a lack of confidence, it seems more like he's incredibly frustrated and trying to force it. He also needs to improve his decission making, as he got too used to clowning poor defenders in the Dutch league, and keeps trying to do the same stuff here. That obviously isn't working, and it could probably take a while for him to unlearn some of that.

In the meantime, people really need to learn to have some fecking patience. A lot of cringeworthy shite being written here. He's 21, trying to adapt to playing in a much stronger league and he's off form at the moment.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think part of the problem is the level of expectation which he's had from coming in. With most young players, we expect them to show some potential, get some game time, and then eventually work their way into a permanent first team place as they hit their primes. Martial's an example. Despite the fee, when he first came many of us didn't expect him to be an instant starter, because we didn't realise how good he'd be. Youngsters like Phil Jones and Chris Smalling when the first came are also examples. No one expected them to be instant hits, yet they got game time, and we hoped that in time they'd develop into top players. Smalling's doing that now. Jones still has a lot more to prove.

With Depay though, he's still young, but we expected him to be very good from the start, before eventually getting even better as time went on. He's undoubtedly one of the most hyped up youngsters we've had in recent years, with whispering's that he had Ronaldo level potential back when he came, and the fact that he's far from the finished article and is very frustrating to watch at times isn't helping at all. Hopefully he'll still come good for us, but I think we need to adjust our expectations slightly. It may be the case that he's a player who is still developing more than we thought, as opposed to being developed already, and that's probably why his end product and ability in dangerous areas has been found lacking more than we'd hoped.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Go for the spectacular a lot, yes. But Nani always, always tracked back. He was shite at defending to be sure but he always got back and at least tried to help.
thats not the nani i remember, the nani i remember was the player who either pulled somthing great off and was doing back flips, or sat on the floor sulking that it didnt come of while his team mates tried to win the ball back.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
15 appearances already, 4 goals, 4 assists, average caf rating 5.9. It's not that bad for a new young player. He needs to put his head down now and get back to some semblance of form.
2 of those goals and apparently 3 assists (whoscored has him down for 1 assist in all other matches) came in the UCL qualifiers against a crippled Brugge side.

It should really read 13 matches, 2 goals and 1 assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.