5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

m1y2

As Van Gaal said it's his best position in which he played him for Netherlands, the robben role, I sense the change of formation until one of our strikers is fit to play. It's a bit worrying if it's the case, the interchanging with Lingard was really good to watch though, both players worked hard even though Memphis loked off the steam in the second half, hopefully its the match rhytm. I hope he will now put in as much effort as he did today.

One thing, he just need to work on his shooting which is too hit and miss, there was a good chance he created with his good movement but wasn't able to hit it well..

dasty

Some of the so called "fans" here should have a talk with themselves. It's getting embarrassing really.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Today's performance kind of made me wonder what a trio of Martial - Lingard - Depay could do. Everybody is interchangeable and if Depay had one thing, it's a good understand with Martial.

Lowkey

He is Nani 2.0. Will be loved by many, but also hated and used as a scapegoat when things are not going well. Personally, i love him :drool:

Iron Stove

Judging by Van Gaal's comments it looks as if he'll get a run of games as the no 9. He looks more a striker than a winger to me with his strength and finishing skills so I'd be interested to see it tried. Martial is just as good on the wing where he plays for France as he is as the striker IMO. We all know Rooney will play regardless. I think we might try this if all of them are fit to play against PSV:

Lingard-Rooney-Martial
--------Memphis

GledTheRed

Very pleased for him today, lovely finish too.

Hope he keeps his head down and stops wearing shitty clothes and hanging around with daft cnuts.

NoPace

He is Nani 2.0. Will be loved by many, but also hated and used as a scapegoat when things are not going well. Personally, i love him :drool:
I think the difference is that he'll score consistently by virtue of his runs into the box and aerial ability. Nani had neither. So, even when he's playing poorly for 5-6 games he might get a couple goals to justify his existence. Sort of like Callejon seems to.

He's struggled a lot this year, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he won't be a 1 in 3 type goalscorer from the wing, which I think only Cristiano, Bale (sort of) Hazard and Pires (and now Sanchez) have done over more than 2 seasons in the Prem's history, unless I'm forgetting someone. He has a real desire to get between the fullback and centerback, he can score from crosses more than his height would suggest and if we countered more or pressed higher he'd get goals on the break, too.

His overall footballing is a different matter, but I really do think he'll be a serious goalscorer for his position. This year, only Mahrez and Sanchez play the majority of their time out wide and have more than 5 goals. I think if Memphis had started every game he'd be around 4-5 instead of the 2 he has. Not bad for a 21 year old.

Long-term, we'll have Memphis pushed up out left like Cristiano does for Madrid or Neymar for Barca and Martial as the 9. The next big question is who we buy/develop to start on the right wing.

itso 7

Judging by Van Gaal's comments it looks as if he'll get a run of games as the no 9. He looks more a striker than a winger to me with his strength and finishing skills so I'd be interested to see it tried. Martial is just as good on the wing where he plays for France as he is as the striker IMO. We all know Rooney will play regardless. I think we might try this if all of them are fit to play against PSV:

Lingard-Rooney-Martial
--------Memphis
That could work but Van Gaal would have to allow greater movement and interchanging of positions especially between Memphis and Martial. Rooney looked like he was getting into some form and if that continues after illness then it would definitely work because he would thrive with the sort of movement these players can make.

Lowkey

I think the difference is that he'll score consistently by virtue of his runs into the box and aerial ability. Nani had neither. So, even when he's playing poorly for 5-6 games he might get a couple goals to justify his existence. Sort of like Callejon seems to.

He's struggled a lot this year, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he won't be a 1 in 3 type goalscorer from the wing, which I think only Cristiano, Bale (sort of) Hazard and Pires (and now Sanchez) have done over more than 2 seasons in the Prem's history, unless I'm forgetting someone. He has a real desire to get between the fullback and centerback, he can score from crosses more than his height would suggest and if we countered more or pressed higher he'd get goals on the break, too.

His overall footballing is a different matter, but I really do think he'll be a serious goalscorer for his position. This year, only Mahrez and Sanchez play the majority of their time out wide and have more than 5 goals. I think if Memphis had started every game he'd be around 4-5 instead of the 2 he has. Not bad for a 21 year old.

Long-term, we'll have Memphis pushed up out left like Cristiano does for Madrid or Neymar for Barca and Martial as the 9. The next big question is who we buy/develop to start on the right wing.
I don't doubt his ability as a footballer. When i meant Nani 2.0 i just mean in terms of popularity and slander on these forums. He is just a kid and has already received lots of criticism on here and is like marmite. Either you love him or hate him. I think every successful club needs a player who has genuine unpredictability and can just blow a team out of the water in the first 10 minutes of a game. Cristiano had it, Nani had it for a while and i think Memphis has it too.

Geordopolous

Really happy with his response, you can see that he worked really really hard and is trying to rectify his past laziness.

He's movement was great and he played like a leader out there. He's finish was something too... Not easy to do that

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Lingard-Rooney-Martial
--------Memphis
I reckon we might continue with the 4222 and go for:

Mata Rooney
Martial Memphis

Mata got a lot of criticism for his performance but I thought prior to the formation change he was very influential and really enjoying his football. Memphis didn't really play as a #9 and I think he'd struggle if he was that isolated. With Martial up front alongside him I could definitely see him flourish.

Unlikely lad

I reckon we might continue with the 4222 and go for:

Mata Rooney
Martial Memphis

Mata got a lot of criticism for his performance but I thought prior to the formation change he was very influential and really enjoying his football.
That looks really exciting on paper

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'm not for a second trying to pretend he's been as good as Martial or anything, more that what the Caf currently considers apocalyptically bad isn't actually, objectively, that bad at all. I mean, even if he doesn't improve his game at all this season - which he's bound to do - and just continues this current rate of return, we're still looking at a 10+ goal debut season, which is fairly decent. Not amazing, but definitely not deserving of the kind of batshit attitude directed at him throughout most of this thread.
Well said. Many have taken leave of their senses when it comes to Memphis.. actively wanting a young player with potential to fail or refusing to be patient with him is bizarre.

C'est Moi Cantona

Mad to think we should keep Martial on the left and give Depay a run up front, but could be the way to go for a while.

Lingard--------Herrera/Mata--------Martial
-------------------Depay--------------------

Would love to see it, plenty of scope for lots of interchanging also.

Red_Beans

I'm not for a second trying to pretend he's been as good as Martial or anything, more that what the Caf currently considers apocalyptically bad isn't actually, objectively, that bad at all. I mean, even if he doesn't improve his game at all this season - which he's bound to do - and just continues this current rate of return, we're still looking at a 10+ goal debut season, which is fairly decent. Not amazing, but definitely not deserving of the kind of batshit attitude directed at him throughout most of this thread.
Good post.
A new young player coming into the league and getting 10 goals and 10 assists in his debut season, that's not bad at all.

For me the frustration comes from his inability/unwillingness to keep it simple. He is having a bad patch for whatever reason, why does he just not go back to basics? Short passes, using his movement and making runs, keeping possession and tracking back. Maybe its a personality thing for him

Bwuk

Well said. Many have taken leave of their senses when it comes to Memphis.. actively wanting a young player with potential to fail or refusing to be patient with him is bizarre.
Caf being a complete knee jerk once again.

Memphis is a good player with a lot of potential. He'll get plenty of goals and assists, yet people will want him out the team for far less productive players.

Similar to AdM situation of last season.

Rossa

I think he can become a great player for us, but is anybody else disappointed that he ultimately is a little sluggish for a winger? Nani was much faster and a more accomplished dribbler. He is a very good finisher though and has a good shot on him. Like so many wide players these days, he is not a particularly good out and out winger.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I think he can become a great player for us, but is anybody else disappointed that he ultimately is a little sluggish for a winger? Nani was much faster and a more accomplished dribbler. He is a very good finisher though and has a good shot on him. Like so many wide players these days, he is not a particularly good out and out winger.
I dont think he's a winger, he's more a wide forward. He was lightening when he first broke into the scene tho, all these muscles have maid him heavier and slower. It would be better for go into a more athletic and slimmer build, to stay strong and fast. His strength has its advantages tho, he wins battles vs even CB's quite easily.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think it's clear now that his physique is holding him back. He's slow in everything he does.

m1y2

hes good in robben role but as a winger he fails to convince me completely, at least he tries this game but we dont have any real options out wide, in fact andy pereiras been decent there as well but id rther sub off rooney/bsti to ply him through the middle

Welbeckham

I think it's clear now that his physique is holding him back. He's slow in everything he does.
Add to that, he loses the ball all the time by failing the simplest things. Awful one-one player who can hardly pass the ball at all. Not much strenghts in him.

Manny

Grammar Police
Struggles more then you would expect to beat a man.

And he plays too close to the touchline. Theres no need for him to be that wide when Rojo is providing good width. He needs to be moving inside sooner imo.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Well benching him didn't sort his form out, so I guess try to play him back into it.

He's much better than this.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He hasn't been that bad, some sloppy passes and touches but also doing a great job with his back to goal. Anything bad he does seems to be exaggerated. Not a great game, not as bad as most here are making out either.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This, he's been involved in quite good moments of play especially hold up play because of his strength.
Aye he's been better than the rest of our attacking players but has come in for far more criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.