Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Felt sorry for the bloke... had a decent game up front, and then got shunted out to the left wing again... the place where he completely lost his form and confidence in the first place.

All to make way for Martial, who clearly wasn't fully fit anyway.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I feel sorry for the guy because he seems to be trying too hard at times and beats himself up a bit when things go wrong. He's such a confidence player but doesn't seem to have inner belief, so one bad moment sends his game spiralling out of control.

I don't think this environment is good for him right now. The fans are getting fed up with what they're seeing and you can visibly see the groans getting to Memphis when he cocks up.

Having said that, I argued that I wasn't sure he was ever as good as made out when we were linked to him. There were many convinced that I was wrong, so I'd love to hear from them again just for reassurance that he isn't just average, as he currently looks.

Swaters16

I feel sorry for the guy because he seems to be trying too hard at times and beats himself up a bit when things go wrong. He's such a confidence player but doesn't seem to have inner belief, so one bad moment sends his game spiralling out of control.

I don't think this environment is good for him right now. The fans are getting fed up with what they're seeing and you can visibly see the groans getting to Memphis when he cocks up.

Having said that, I argued that I wasn't sure he was ever as good as made out when we were linked to him. There were many convinced that I was wrong, so I'd love to hear from them again just for reassurance that he isn't just average, as he currently looks.
I don't think there's any doubt whatsoever that he's better than what we're seeing. I mean he was the best player in Holland, and he can't perform against a Dutch team. That's a pretty good sign his form has fallen off a cliff

Sam

He's not really a winger is he? I mean, he can't dribble particularly well, and he's rather average paced.

His best asset seems to be his movement, maybe he'd make a better striker? He certainly looked better on Saturday in that strikers role. And he does have that bit of acceleration, off the ball at least, to get into good positions.

Last edited:

m1tch

Offers nothing on the wing, just gives it away all the time. For someone that is fairly stocky he gets bullied off the ball by opposition full backs far too often.

He's a young player, playing in a real league for the first time, in a team that's playing awful football. If we used him from the bench it'd take some pressure away. Young was one of our best players last year so its not like we don't have a better option ready to come in.

Eddy_JukeZ

He can't beat a player to save his life. Disappointing in every game almost.

I don't know if he'll make it here.

legball

I'm reserving judgement on this lad until season ends. But one thing is safe to say, I don't think he's anything special, like Hazard or that caliber, he's another good player, nothing more.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Van Gaal put all his eggs in the Memphis basket this season (foolishly, in my opinion) and it's not worked out. If we have to watch a frustrating developing young player on the wings, I'd rather watch Januzaj. At least he's done more in the Moyes season than Depay has all season.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Van Gaal put all his eggs in the Memphis basket this season (foolishly, in my opinion) and it's not worked out. If we have to watch a frustrating developing young player on the wings, I'd rather watch Januzaj. At least he's done more in the Moyes season than Depay has all season.
Januzaj has far better general play and is more fun to watch, only that Depay now has already been as much involved in goals and assists as Januzaj has been in his two seasons here. If Depay were to kick on, and fulfill his potential he'd basically be a Ronaldo of less quality. His general play isnt special, he plays out wide but he doesnt really beat defender or create much but he has a knack of scoring goals and got good movement to get in those positions in the final third. Memphis also had a good finish at PSV, not too sure what happened to that as he should have had at least 2-3 goals more than he currently has.

Devil81

I'd bring back Januzaj for competition for places, he'd walk into the current side.

Depay has been a disaster so far, anyone saying any different has been watching someone else. Whether he bulked up too much I do not know but the fast pacey winger from World cup 2014 is gone. I still believe he has the ability, I just don't know if we will get the chance to see it at United.

NinjaZombie

Januzaj has far better general play and is more fun to watch, only that Depay now has already been as much involved in goals and assists as Januzaj has been in his two seasons here. If Depay were to kick on, and fulfill his potential he'd basically be a Ronaldo of less quality. His general play isnt special, he plays out wide but he doesnt really beat defender or create much but he has a knack of scoring goals and got good movement to get in those positions in the final third. Memphis also had a good finish at PSV, not too sure what happened to that as he should have had at least 2-3 goals more than he currently has.
The annoying thing about this is that now that Memphis is having a hard time (which was always likely considering his age and him being new), we could use Januzaj out there. I've no issue with Memphis in the squad, but expecting him to be our Robben in his first season (especially after losing Di Maria) is downright idiotic on Van Gaal's part.

NinjaZombie

Ah, Memphis is back to being shite, I see.
Not many are saying that. My issue with him is that Van Gaal is expecting too much out of him. We never relied on Ronaldo in his first season with us, and he looked a far better player back then than Memphis does now.

I have an issue with Van Gaal getting rid of alternatives the first chance he gets.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'd bring back Januzaj for competition for places, he'd walk into the current side.

Depay has been a disaster so far, anyone saying any different has been watching someone else. Whether he bulked up too much I do not know but the fast pacey winger from World cup 2014 is gone. I still believe he has the ability, I just don't know if we will get the chance to see it at United.
Yeah Januzaj is the answer, couldn't get in the United side prior to his loan and he can't get in the Dortmund side now.

The problem we are having for our wide men is they have absolutely nothing in front of them, their only means of creating anything is to try to take on a man themselves. They're essentially having to run at a set up defense, there's nothing happening to get them on the back foot or stretch them and there aren't too many players that can beat a player in those situations. As soon as a defender has to cover for the early cross or the through ball as well as the potential of being taken on it makes their jobs a whole lot harder.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Not many are saying that. My issue with him is that Van Gaal is expecting too much out of him. We never relied on Ronaldo in his first season with us, and he looked a far better player back then than Memphis does now.

I have an issue with Van Gaal getting rid of alternatives the first chance he gets.
I don't think Van Gaal is relying too much on him. Prior to the Watford game, Memphis had spent a prolonged period on the sidelines.

Memphis is in the standard 'frustrating youngster' stage.

We need to stop using Ronaldo as a benchmark and let young players develop in their own right. Comparing to an all time great is counter productive.

Devil81

Yeah Januzaj is the answer, couldn't get in the United side prior to his loan and he can't get in the Dortmund side now.

The problem we are having for our wide men is they have absolutely nothing in front of them, their only means of creating anything is to try to take on a man themselves. They're essentially having to run at a set up defense, there's nothing happening to get them on the back foot or stretch them and there aren't too many players that can beat a player in those situations. As soon as a defender has to cover for the early cross or the through ball as well as the potential of being taken on it makes their jobs a whole lot harder.

Did you overlooked the competition for places part of my post?

And yeah I do believe he'd walk into our current side, we're lacking creativity, which he could supply. Regarding getting into the Dortmund side, I think there is far greater competition there.

NinjaZombie

I don't think Van Gaal is relying too much on him. Prior to the Watford game, Memphis had spent a prolonged period on the sidelines.

Memphis is in the standard 'frustrating youngster' stage.

We need to stop using Ronaldo as a benchmark and let young players develop in their own right. Comparing to an all time great is counter productive.
Van Gaal loaned Januzaj out, has seemingly given up on Young at left wing, and persisted with Memphis earlier in the season when other players got dropped for far less prolonged periods of being out of form. It was only the need to play Rooney and Martial's form that saw him get dropped. One goalscoring performance later, he's back in the side, and not playing in the role he played in the previous game.

Read again. I'm not comparing him to Ronaldo. I'm saying we rarely relied on young players in their first seasons at the club, including Ronaldo.

edit*

Also.

wiz4231

Depay - plays well on Saturday as a striker (goal) = moved to LW
Martial - plays well in internationals on the LW (assist) = moved to ST

:houllier:

To be honest during the game, the times that they did briefly switch positions both players looked better and that says it all.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Did you overlooked the competition for places part of my post?

And yeah I do believe he'd walk into our current side, we're lacking creativity, which he could supply. Regarding getting into the Dortmund side, I think there is far greater competition there.
No but I did read the 'walk into our side' part which my post was directed at, and if he is going to walk back into the side it makes your competition for places point a little redundant. He made zero impact when he was at the club before he went out on loan, he's not going to come back twice the player after playing next to no minutes at Dortmund.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
What I dont understand is how he can be brushed off the ball so easily looking at his physics

Welbeckham

What I dont understand is how he can be brushed off the ball so easily looking at his physics
Doesn't seem mentally strong. Weak, slow, full of bad decisions and sloppy technical effort. I've never found much strenghts in him so I'm really doubtful about his future. I really badly hope I'm wrong. To be fair to him, we were even worse without him yesterday.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Doesn't seem mentally strong. Weak, slow, full of bad decisions and sloppy technical effort. I've never found much strenghts in him so I'm really doubtful about his future. I really badly hope I'm wrong. To be fair to him, we were even worse without him yesterday.
Being mentally weak doesnt explain why he can be pushed around like a little weak kid

Bwuk

Aye he's dross. I wonder why all the top sides in Europe were looking at him.

Memphis is clearly a very talented player.

Ludens the Red

He's muscular but not big (rugby player) so his overall body strength is shit unless he works on his legs and stature which he blatantly doesn't.
Maybe this is one for the protein powder thread people.

Parma Dewol

I can understand him being annoyed about being subbed, but when your time is up and the manager has made the call, get the hell off the pitch. We were already lacking urgency and players taking an age to trudge off when we need a goal really doesn't help.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Lack of balance, being big means nothing on the pitch if you don't have balance

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He's muscular but not big (rugby player) so his overall body strength is shit unless he works on his legs and stature which he blatantly doesn't.
Maybe this is one for the protein powder thread people.
He obviously has upper body strength and is not a lightwight. So I'd expect him to use his body much better

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
In football you don't need a strong body to win duels, you just gotta be very flexible in your movement and need to think faster than the other guy. Memphis is a little bit too slow in his turns and overall body movement.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I was hoping we'd see him up front again, and still hope he'll be given another crack in that position.
I thought it was completely unfair on him to shunt him back to the left wing again (the position where he has barely played well and lost all his confidence in the first place) - all in favour of Martial who didn't even look fully fit.

Adebesi

I thought it was completely unfair on him to shunt him back to the left wing again (the position where he has barely played well and lost all his confidence in the first place) - all in favour of Martial who didn't even look fully fit.
I dont know if you have already recorded the latest podcast. But if not, could you please work yourself up into a bit of a frenzy and rant about it for a few minutes? That always brings a smile to my face.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I dont know if you have already recorded the latest podcast. But if not, could you please work yourself up into a bit of a frenzy and rant about it for a few minutes? That always brings a smile to my face.
We're doing it after the Leicester game... so I'll probably have calmed down by then (though I suppose it depends what happens at Leicester)

Probably for the best too... If we'd done it as soon as we'd got home last night I'd probably have gone wild a few times.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
That argument does not hold considering the number of players that were successful in the dutch and and experience greater sucess in other top leagues like Spain, England and Italy.
yes and a lot of players havn't stepped up.

last season pretty much every league game Depay stepped on the pitch knowing he was the best player on it, this season he isn't. some players find it hard to adjust to that.

doesn't mean he isn't talented, just means he has to adapt.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Play him up front, Martial on the left and Herrera in behind. We are so shite that it's worth trying.

Empire

I think this is the game for him to shine, I expect him to start with all our injuries, Young most likely as a full back. And Leicester will attack us, he will probably make several good runs into space, we'll see if he gets picked out and if so he needs to take his chance if it's a clean one.

Godfather

Good cameo from him. Think he can be better up front for us than on the wing. Would also mean to drop Rooney which I'd very much welcome

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
One of our more dangerous players when he came on.

Varun

Staff
Decent cameo but he should have been able to control that ball from the Darmian header much better. Martial would have scored imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.