Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

superdry

touched by a genius
I see this said a lot about Ronaldo, about him working and working at it. I think he's explosively quick, lithe, and athletic, with fantastic timing and technique. I'd say natural talents, rather than gained.
Memphis needs to work at it, to gain more skills, get lighter, lither, and improve his off the mark running technique, much more than Ronaldo ever had to.

Parma Dewol

BBC: United have confirmed striker Memphis Depay will miss Saturday's trip to Crystal Palace, although they have not said what injury he is suffering.
Doesn't look good for him, sounds like he's being left out of the weekend's game completely.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Doesn't look good for him, sounds like he's being left out of the weekend's game completely.
Doesnt deserve to be in it. The problem is that United are in a spot where we really require results now, if he doesnt step up, he'll find himself behind a long queue of attackers..Id consider bringing in a world class winger that can play either side if the opportunity presents itself.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Happy he's dropped. He doesn't bring anything to the team anyway, and now we have Young, Lingard and Pereira who can play in his position, and all 3 are better than him. He should be taken out of the spotlight for a while.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I know it's unpopular,but I don't think he's good enough. It's not knee jerk, I said it before we signed him. If you don't believe me check his thread in the newbies from the summer. Apart from his shooting and his movement, I didn't see anything to convince me he would be a star for us, while watching PSV last season.
I hope he turns it round.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
If he's not injured i'm disappointed he's been dropped from the squad all together, we should try to slowly play him back into form from the bench, he would also be a good player to bring on at the end of games against tired legs.

Smores

Some of the stuff in this thread is as laughable as it gets. He's 21 and it's October of his first season. He's obviously got stacks of ability. Wind your fecking necks in.
Indeed. Far too early to make a judgement on the lad, he does need to show us something at some point though.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Some of the stuff in this thread is as laughable as it gets. He's 21 and it's October of his first season. He's obviously got stacks of ability. Wind your fecking necks in.
Some people weren't convinced before his poor form. For everyone saying he is a nothing player, they are those saying he will definitely make it and all he needs is time. To be fair, based on the past history of players coming from the Dutch league, the latter group cannot be too sure either.

I'm in the "I dont know group". that is the safest bet here. Either side of that is too quick a judgement imo.

Fergies Formula

He comes with a big reputation, self generated to some degree, but he isn't ready to be a starter week in week out. He obviously believes in himself but needs to remain humble and hardworking as he still has a massive amount to learn. I cant really understand why we didn't keep Nani, who is a lot better than him at this stage, but he could have also provided some experience to Depay, as well as someone to offer a challenge to the left wing spot. We are too reliant on him as we dont have the depth and his role in the team has been forced, he has essentially become a crucial first team member.

I would like to see him try and go on both sides of the defender as he is becoming too predictable and easy to defend against with his drop of the shoulder and shift onto the right foot - Add some variety and he will make it a lot more difficult for the defenders. Not to mention he sometimes crowds the game too much by cutting in, he should know when to stretch the game and use the wing and when to cut in. I guess this comes with experience and developing his footballing intelligence.

Adisa

Some people weren't convinced before his poor form. For everyone saying he is a nothing player, they are those saying he will definitely make it and all he needs is time. To be fair, based on the past history of players coming from the Dutch league, the latter group cannot be too sure either.

I'm in the "I dont know group". that is the safest bet here. Either side of that is too quick a judgement imo.
Even before he joined the club.

Sam

'Injured'

Its not very 'obvious' looking at his performances so far this season.

Adisa

Yes, thats the point I am making. Not all posters not tooting his horn are necessarily being rash. Some weren't convinced before that.
I thought we needed a dribbler in the summer and I never considered him as one. We still need a skillful player with pace. Although I expect Menphis to improve, people thinking he will start taking players on are in for a shock. His game is to make movements to find space to get his shot away. He's not a creative player or a flair player imo. Never was and I don't think he ever will be.

Shurou

I haven't watched the match but I guess it's that moment. Why the hell would he shoot there?
Maybe he only saw Rooney and thought, "He'll mess it up anyways, might as well go for it myself" - without realizing that he's not very good these days himself, of course :p

ice-bionic red

Can't believe the amount of stick some are giving this young player. He's not in great form but he is trying. Some saying he can't beat his man? I think he does with ease. But instead of looking for a pass he is trying to beat the 2nd or sometimes even 3rd man! It's decision making that he must improve and he will. Go easy on him guys he needs our support.

Devil81

He's been awful for the last few months, but we still created far more chances with him in our starting eleven.

C'est Moi Cantona

Seemed very harsh to leave him out completely today, wonder if he'll be turning up for the U21's some time soon.

khoazany

Seemed very harsh to leave him out completely today, wonder if he'll be turning up for the U21's some time soon.
Even if he's fit Lingard and Pereira all deserve to be on the bench ahead of him at the moment and we can't have a bench full of attacking players.

Would be a very unpopular opinion but I think we should loan him out to a PL team comes January.He needs to play regularly to adapt to PL football but I don't think he has contributed or will contribute enough to get that here this season.That would leave us short but will benefit us more in the long run if he turns out to be class.

C'est Moi Cantona

Even if he's fit Lingard and Pereira all deserve to be on the bench ahead of him at the moment and we can't have a bench full of attacking players.

Would be a very unpopular opinion but I think we should loan him out to a PL team comes January.He needs to play regularly to adapt to PL football but I don't think he has contributed or will contribute enough to get that here this season.That would leave us short but will benefit us more in the long run if he turns out to be class.
Personally I think he could be one of our best players in the later part of the season, the ability is there it's all just a question of how he pushes out of this bad spell, no way i'd be loaning him.

Gerald G

He's been poor when he's played in the last month but I feel we still looked more threatening with him in the side.

Adisa

Ther have been a number of articles, claiming LVG and Giggs are working on his attitude. The word being used is "reeducation".

C'est Moi Cantona

Lvg doesn't like his attitude.
This I find odd, Memphis knew exactly what to expect from LvG yet isn't buying into the philosophy? Of all the players that should have got over that hurdle the quickest from our new signings it was him.

I do wonder if lvG foresore this though, after he banged in those great goals against Brugge all LvG couid say was thing like he's going to struggle soon, or it won't always be so easy etc, maybe he knew he was a way off been ready physically and espcially mentally just yet.

Although the Shaw injury has certainly not helped the situation.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I'm not so fussed about his lack of invention or flair in beating men on the wings. I'm mostly disappointed he isn't extremely quick, strong or clinical. Those were the attributes I thought he'd bring in abundance.

Sam

Just been looking back at some of his match compilations from earlier in the season, he really has been poor. His early season performances look a lot worse in the cold light of day, with the 'shiny new signing' gloss taken off.

He just hasn't done anything in the PL. Get the ball, run a bit, either pass it backwards/sideways or lose it. Its like Ashley Young from two years back.

Skills

Snitch
Just been looking back at some of his match compilations from earlier in the season, he really has been poor. His early season performances look a lot worse in the cold light of day, with the 'shiny new signing' gloss taken off.

He just hasn't done anything in the PL. Get the ball, run a bit, either pass it backwards/sideways or lose it. Its like Ashley Young from two years back.
I found his early season performances annoying because he kept on ignoring Shaw who was making brilliant runs from left back and was looking like our biggest threat on the left. Probably gave him a bit more space to cut in though, but defenders would have sussed him out by now anyway.

Skills

Snitch
I see this said a lot about Ronaldo, about him working and working at it. I think he's explosively quick, lithe, and athletic, with fantastic timing and technique. I'd say natural talents, rather than gained.
Memphis needs to work at it, to gain more skills, get lighter, lither, and improve his off the mark running technique, much more than Ronaldo ever had to.
Ronaldo has 3-4 inches on him and is a bit of a freak athlete in football - same for Bale. There's no point comparing monsters to more normal athletes for football. He was always going to massively fall short there.

Oo0AahCantona

Think the step up has shocked him a bit. Next season is the real testing point for him, im not too fussed over his current form. if he was supposed to be the focus of our attack this season, then that's the fault of the club, he was never ready for that.

Adisa

He's injured..or thats what we were told..I hope its not an attitude issue..I cant stand that.
Club never said what injury he had. Stuart from MEN said club was unusually silent when asked about the injury and extent. Now we hear he's trining on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.