4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

Think he's the sort of player who needs to play every week to be at his best, and it's just not going to happen here.

Martial, Mkhitayan, Mata, Lingard and Rashford are all ahead of him going off of the charity shield squad.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wouldn't mind selling him, really. Reckon we could recoup a fair fee, somewhere.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Think he's the sort of player who needs to play every week to be at his best, and it's just not going to happen here.

Martial, Mkhitayan, Mata, Lingard and Rashford are all ahead of him going off of the charity shield squad.
Out of the ones you have mentioned only one is in direct competition with Memphis.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
thought he did ok v Everton.

He may come good. Many were writing off Lingard some time back too.
I'd hope he's gonna turn out a lot better than Lingard is at this moment. Lingard's a great little player but I can't see him being anything more than a squad player for the next 2/3 years under Mourinho (assuming Mkhi is first choice RW). We paid a fair whack for Memphis, I'm hoping by the time he's Lingard's age he'd be a lot better.

If there's no improvement by the end of this season I think it'd be wise for us to at least loan him out, possibly even sell him. He's 22, Lingard broke into the team aged 23ish.

MD7

Where does he play this season?

Rashford has his squad position and I suspect he's well down the pecking order with other players as well.
He's the first replacement of Martial on the left is my guess. So if Martial keeps playing like he's doing currently, we'll see Memphis starting in September

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
He's the first replacement of Martial on the left is my guess. So if Martial keeps playing like he's doing currently, we'll see Memphis starting in September
Yes, lets drop Martial because of 1 average performance after only training 1 week. :houllier:

MD7

Yes, lets drop Martial because of 1 average performance after only training 1 week. :houllier:
That's not what I'm saying at all. We have 6 matches before the end of September in the Premier League, I would think that if he's playing like he did against Leicester (which wasn't average, but poor) we will bench him, right?

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
That's not what I'm saying at all. We have 6 matches before the end of September in the Premier League, I would think that if he's playing like he did against Leicester (which wasn't average, but poor) we will bench him, right?
No, every player goes through a rough patch of form. Martial is one of the greatest talents and benching him won't make it better.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Young and Rashford are ahead of him there. And if Lingard doesn't start, he will be used there aead of him.

MD7

Young and Rashford are ahead of him there. And if Lingard doesn't start, he will be used there aead of him.
They really aren't... Young hasn't shown any sign of being ahead in the pecking order, and Rashford replaced Martial only because others weren't available on the left (Leicester). Rashford was included in the squad because he is so versatile, he can play as a striker, but also on both wings, while Memphis can't. When both are on the bench, and Martial needs to be replaced, I'm certain Memphis will be the substitute.

We'll see this weekend. I hope Martial is starting to get his form back, and doesn't need to be replaced, but after such a long season, and only back for 2 weeks, I'm not expecting him to shine yet. Thus he will be replaced in the second halve, we'll see then if it's by Memphis or Rashford.

Litch

Memphis has some way to go but the critical point for me is Jose looks like he's prepared to give him the opportunity. I think the spotlight will be off him and onto the huge names that have been signed, and also he'll be playing in team that will have less shackles on them. I've already seen more from him in two games than most of last season. There's a good player in there but the legacy of last season, not to mention the pressure of playing when there's some much negativity given the man that bought you is Dutch too.....he was probably one of the most relieved when LVG left.....

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
We have been disappointed all of last season, but if Memphis finds his mojo, gets his head and place and lets the football do the talking this season, it would be something. Pogba's arrival and the return of some flair in the squad to inspire him is what he needs.

Midtjylland level performances week in week out, with Zlatan, Pogba and Mkhitaryan around him would humiliate defences. I genuinely hope Jose can do his magic on this fella and turn him into the world-beater we all thought he would be.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
We need to find him a new position, otherwise he'll stay in Martial's shadow.

acnumber9

They really aren't... Young hasn't shown any sign of being ahead in the pecking order, and Rashford replaced Martial only because others weren't available on the left (Leicester). Rashford was included in the squad because he is so versatile, he can play as a striker, but also on both wings, while Memphis can't. When both are on the bench, and Martial needs to be replaced, I'm certain Memphis will be the substitute.

We'll see this weekend. I hope Martial is starting to get his form back, and doesn't need to be replaced, but after such a long season, and only back for 2 weeks, I'm not expecting him to shine yet. Thus he will be replaced in the second halve, we'll see then if it's by Memphis or Rashford.
Apart from playing more minutes in the team than Depay in pre season.

pascell

Why do we have to find him a new position or sell him? There's more than enough games for him to play this season. Granted they might not all come at the start of the season but once we're in the FA Cup, Capital One Cup and Europa League and PL games come thick and fast he'll get his game time, it's then up to him to stake his claim in the team.

Turamb

Give him another season

He's only had one season here and it was under Louie

Let him use the Cups and EL to prove himself

If he hasn't improved by next summer, then we can sell

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
We need to find him a new position, otherwise he'll stay in Martial's shadow.
We need to find him a new club and grab our chance to recoup some money. He's the worst attacking player at the club currently and utterly pointless.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
We need to find him a new club and grab our chance to recoup some money. He's the worst attacking player at the club currently and utterly pointless.
Can't really disagree with any of that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bloody hate these suspense building tweeters.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Jose completely rubbishes the image the media tried to make of Memphis. I'm still a firm believer Memphis will be a success here under the guidance of Jose Mourinho.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
JM: “Depay is very much part of my squad,” Mourinho said. “I know you look at the last match and he was not even on the bench but in September we have the EFL Cup, Europa League and Premier League, so that will be the end of the frustration for the players not being selected at the moment. I was impressed with Depay at the last World Cup and that was two years ago when he was a very young kid.

“I watched him many times at PSV, and having that player in mind, I want to keep him. Especially as I see a good boy, a good professional. You can see him driving a nice car and think his mind is not on football but that is not the case. I don’t care what people think, I believe in him. He is frustrated with what happened last season when he lost all his confidence but he will be back.”

Utdstar01

JM: “Depay is very much part of my squad,” Mourinho said. “I know you look at the last match and he was not even on the bench but in September we have the EFL Cup, Europa League and Premier League, so that will be the end of the frustration for the players not being selected at the moment. I was impressed with Depay at the last World Cup and that was two years ago when he was a very young kid.

“I watched him many times at PSV, and having that player in mind, I want to keep him. Especially as I see a good boy, a good professional. You can see him driving a nice car and think his mind is not on football but that is not the case. I don’t care what people think, I believe in him. He is frustrated with what happened last season when he lost all his confidence but he will be back.”
Must be so reassuring having a manager speak about you in that way in public. Let's hope Jose can get him playing the way we all thought he would.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Even as a Memphis fan, Lingard, Martial, Miki, Mata and even Rooney are significantly better, it will be very unlikely for him to get game time, unless we get those injuries again.
He's only competing with Martial for that left wing spot.

Litch

Despite the many thoughts about him, Jose's opinion is the only one that counts. More than anything, the crap written and talked about on here about a young lad who's more interested in fancy cars than football clearly simply arent true.

Status
Not open for further replies.