Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
There's definitely talent there he's just very low on confidence and his attitude is questionable. Maybe a season long loan would've been a better option this season rather than just being a squad player and low in the pecking order.

dichinero

Think people are saying the same but he just looks like he's overthinking it and trying too hard.

I've said it before but I'd rather ship out dead weight like Ashley Young and give this lad a squad place for another year or two before cutting our losses.

I mean jesus christ, we have people on here who still believe in that fool Phil Fecking Jones, we can at least give Memphis another year.
Thank you very much!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
There's definitely talent there he's just very low on confidence and his attitude is questionable. Maybe a season long loan would've been a better option this season rather than just being a squad player and low in the pecking order.
What do we know about his attitude though? He's very cocky, which I kind of like. From what I have seen of him, he is working hard, but it's just not working for him right now.

I do agree there is talent in there though. He grew into the half when he came on. It was a good half an hour. After he made that shite pass, he seemed to give his head a wobble and he came to life a bit. Made some good passes and runs. Some good defensive dirty work down the wing too.

AXVnee7

It's not easy when the game is already long over, and most of your team-mates have already switched off. He had a decent cameo, did nothing particularly special but did show us some nice flashes of his ability (360 turn, scoop to Mata). Unfortunately it's just going to continue like this until he gets a consistent run of games. So hopefully Jose gives him that, or allows him to get it somewhere else.

Bogga

All I could think of last night was "7 - Griezmann"...

He tries so hard, but nothing comes out of it, kind of the same feeling I had with Falcao who in my eyes tried so hard but somehow managed to get no result out of it. I doubt he'll get much game time. Either sent on loan, sold or get some playing time in games we've won by the 60th minute

Ibi Dreams

He would have had a very nice assist yesterday if Mata had done better with that chance. Nothing he can do about that.

DanClancy

Plays with such an arrogance for a player who's achieved nothing, he's shown nothing to suggest he'll be here next year. He's got talent but doesn't appear to have the attitude to be a success here, he's not mature enough perhaps that will come a few years down the line.

MD7

He would have had a very nice assist yesterday if Mata had done better with that chance. Nothing he can do about that.
When Mata missed that chance he was angry, not verbally, but you could see it in the way he reacted with his body. The same when Mata didn't pass the ball to him, or Rooney but took the chance himself. At least we know by this he still cares :)

Asger

Now its time to try him on the left for few games with Mata as 10 and Mhki as right winger.... Surely that can't be worse than Martial, Lingard, Young and Rashford have show us in the last few weeks..

kr0nix

Plays with such an arrogance for a player who's achieved nothing, he's shown nothing to suggest he'll be here next year. He's got talent but doesn't appear to have the attitude to be a success here, he's not mature enough perhaps that will come a few years down the line.
To me it doesn't look like Memphis plays with arrogance at all, more the opposite. He seems to lack belief at the moment which is a crucial attribute for players in his position. Hope he can turn it around because I wouldn't be surprised to see him go on to become successful elsewhere if he rediscovered his mojo.

Lentwood

Does anybody think we are being a little bit overly critical of Memphis?

I think he is suffering slightly from "Rojo Syndrome" where after playing in a period where the whole team where particularly poor and uninspiring he seems to have been completely written off despite others seemingly getting far more leeway for poor performances

I'm not saying he was great last year by a long stretch but he has had a few games at least where he has single handedly taken apart the opposition and displayed real talent. I would certainly favour playing Memphis over Rashford as a winger, Lingard or Mata out wide

m1y2

I think he is suffering slightly from "Rojo Syndrome" where after playing in a period where the whole team where particularly poor and uninspiring he seems to have been completely written off despite others seemingly getting far more leeway for poor performances

I'm not saying he was great last year by a long stretch but he has had a few games at least where he has single handedly taken apart the opposition and displayed real talent. I would certainly favour playing Memphis over Rashford as a winger, Lingard or Mata out wide
I think he's not bad at all, he just doesn't show the passion, if only he worked harder on the pitch nobody would ever criticize him, he could then build on it... He's actually very good crosser of the ball so he does not necessarilly need to go past player in every game.. he's strong boy but he needs to learn howto use his body better in that regard, he has a lot of trickery in his lokcer just need confidence to pull it of but as long as he works hard, he can be as effective as rashford from the wing...

but maybe I am overly excited about anyone after Rojo made himself look like Maldini last couple of games or MAYBE Mourinho can make some palyers perform better, Herrera is all of a sudden the best midfielder in the league and Valencia best rightback in the world, I think the players have in themselves but they need to totally commit to the club and listen Jose, they wouldn't be here if they were not half decent, still our worst player is three times better than Danny Simpson and he started for Leicester in their title winning campaign so everyone can be motivated to higher level performances and if we play like second half against city then we are winning the title and maybe Depay will start performing like we expected from him from the day one.

Red_Beans

I am not writing off Memphis just yet, but to suggest that he should be regularly starting ahead of those three at the moment is just silly

MD7

At the moment I'm just not getting why he isn't getting any play time. Last year he got a lot of playtime, and I thought he got this because he performed in training (since he wasn't that great on the pitch). This year he never starts, and barely makes minutes while Mourinho is saying he's working the hardest at training. I expected him to start Euro League games, and make appearances in the PL, but apparently Young is ahead of the picking order.

Memphis has been playing decent this season, and should get more time since I don't see any reason why Martial, Lingard, or Rashford should be picked before him (based on this season). Rashford is more of a striker, Martial is out of form, and I don't even understand why Lingard is part of this team. A loan in January would be good for him.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

I don't.

From what I've seen,unfortunately I doubt that he has the talent to make it here.

I mentioned even over the Summer that he was unlikely to be a player Mourinho would take a liking to.

pascell

Watching him for PSV the season after the WC, he was top quality and went past players for fun. Last season was a write off for him, this season I was hoping Mourinho would bring his confidence back and he'd be flying again but unfortunately that's not happened yet.

It's hard to judge him off 20 minutes here 15 minutes there. He needs a run of 10 games to judge him off but it doesn't seem like coming. A loan in January I think is going to happen.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
At the moment I'm just not getting why he isn't getting any play time. Last year he got a lot of playtime, and I thought he got this because he performed in training (since he wasn't that great on the pitch). This year he never starts, and barely makes minutes while Mourinho is saying he's working the hardest at training. I expected him to start Euro League games, and make appearances in the PL, but apparently Young is ahead of the picking order.

Memphis has been playing decent this season, and should get more time since I don't see any reason why Martial, Lingard, or Rashford should be picked before him (based on this season). Rashford is more of a striker, Martial is out of form, and I don't even understand why Lingard is part of this team. A loan in January would be good for him.
What do you consider decent?

MD7

What do you consider decent?
For example his performance against Fenerbahce. Worked hard, did some good passes, and nice flicks. In such an amount of time he only made 1 mistake, which was the bad pass that could've put Martial alone in front of the keeper. Based on that, and also his game against France where he was practically on of the best players on the field, and knowing the amount of time he has been playing (only 118min, mostly substitution when there's nothing to do anymore), I would say he is actually in decent form, and now just needs match rhythm.

Ole90+3

What was the point in keeping him and not playing him at all? I mean, he hasn't even been given a chance. I find it odd. Surely Mourinho had the time during pre-season to come to a conclusion whether he was good enough or not.

These are important years for such a young footballer to establish their skills but it looks likely that it's going to be another year totally wasted.
He's obviously banging Mourinho's son

Stacks

I really wonder how come his shot has been so woeful for us. This is footage from today's training but I havent seen him hit a decent ball almost once..
Yep, his shots are nearly always struggling to make it on goal and most of the time he barely hits it cleanly.

Good shots in the video, on target and powerful, both things i havent seen 99% of the time for us in games
If you are a pro footballer, you should have the technique to hit a shot on target, at least when not under pressure. These guys play football daily with professional coaching. The better players have the mental side on lock as well

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
For example his performance against Fenerbahce. Worked hard, did some good passes, and nice flicks. In such an amount of time he only made 1 mistake, which was the bad pass that could've put Martial alone in front of the keeper. Based on that, and also his game against France where he was practically on of the best players on the field, and knowing the amount of time he has been playing (only 118min, mostly substitution when there's nothing to do anymore), I would say he is actually in decent form, and now just needs match rhythm.
It's not so much about the mistakes for me, but rather what he creates, it wasn't poor, but a far cry from decent. A decent performer for a winger is to score or assist, granted he has had limited opportunities, my memory isn't perfect so I checked Who Scored (link) and apparently he hasn't had two games worth of minutes yet, so it's hard to say he has poor stats, he just hasn't had the chance, how you can consider him decent while doing nothing is note though, how can you hold that opinion?

MD7

It's not so much about the mistakes for me, but rather what he creates, it wasn't poor, but a far cry from decent. A decent performer for a winger is to score or assist, granted he has had limited opportunities, my memory isn't perfect so I checked Who Scored (link) and apparently he hasn't had two games worth of minutes yet, so it's hard to say he has poor stats, he just hasn't had the chance, how you can consider him decent while doing nothing is note though, how can you hold that opinion?
Like you said, he barely had any playtime. Which is why I call it a decent performance based on what he has shown, and the amount of time he has gotten. At least for me he did some nice things against Fenerbahce: the pass to Mata (which should've been an assist), getting past a player in the box using his acceleration, the pass between two player to Rooney (who has the worst ball control lately), the backheel to Mata after a corner.

All nice stuff in such a short time, and that with a team that was taking their foot from the gas since it was already 4-0. For me it warrants more minutes, but the next game he wasn't even on the bench (EPL), and against City Mourinho preferred Lingard (probably due to his defensive skills)

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He began the season last year as a starter but slowly became crap.

He played last season to be honest. He didn't had a lot of time, but he played.

Di Maria was in a similar situation expect that Angel came in a had assists.

Memphis is useless when he comes in.

Our club really need to be ruthless again and we have to show him the door.

Paid 30M or 40M for him and he did nothing.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Like you said, he barely had any playtime. Which is why I call it a decent performance based on what he has shown, and the amount of time he has gotten. At least for me he did some nice things against Fenerbahce: the pass to Mata (which should've been an assist), getting past a player in the box using his acceleration, the pass between two player to Rooney (who has the worst ball control lately), the backheel to Mata after a corner.

All nice stuff in such a short time, and that with a team that was taking their foot from the gas since it was already 4-0. For me it warrants more minutes, but the next game he wasn't even on the bench (EPL), and against City Mourinho preferred Lingard (probably due to his defensive skills)
I get your point and perhaps he deserves more chances, I just can't call no goals or assists in whatever minutes he has had as decent..

Member 39557

I get your point and perhaps he deserves more chances, I just can't call no goals or assists in whatever minutes he has had as decent..
I pretty much agree with MD7. You can't blame the lack of assists on him in this particular instance. He created a good chance, but it wasn't converted. If Mata had scored, it wouldn't have made Memphis' pass any better.

Memphis still needs to improve, especially those wild shots from distance, but he's showing signs of a bit more confidence.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I pretty much agree with MD7. You can't blame the lack of assists on him in this particular instance. He created a good chance, but it wasn't converted. If Mata had scored, it wouldn't have made Memphis' pass any better.

Memphis still needs to improve, especially those wild shots from distance, but he's showing signs of a bit more confidence.
He is, I agree, I just wouldn't call it decent for a United winger, average at best, whereas previously he had been poor..

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Don't think he'l make it at United regardless of talent. Mourinho isn't going to play him. Though I have to say some other players are hardly doing better than him. It's also an attitude thing. He doesn't look hungry when he comes on. It's like he gave up. Sell during the winter break for his own sake.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He began the season last year as a starter but slowly became crap.

He played last season to be honest. He didn't had a lot of time, but he played.

Di Maria was in a similar situation expect that Angel came in a had assists.

Memphis is useless when he comes in.

Our club really need to be ruthless again and we have to show him the door.

Paid 30M or 40M for him and he did nothing.
Wasnt it 60m?

AXVnee7

Still got lots of faith in this guy. 10 minute cameos aren't going to do him any good when he's low on confidence. He needs a run of successive games, whether that's for us or on loan. I hope Jose maintains his faith in him.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He will come good, whether with us or somebody else. Maybe not hitting the levels we once anticipated, but I have a hunch he will become a very good player. If I were the manager, from what I can see of him from a fan's perspective, I wouldn't sell him.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Still got lots of faith in this guy. 10 minute cameos aren't going to do him any good when he's low on confidence. He needs a run of successive games, whether that's for us or on loan. I hope Jose maintains his faith in him.
This. We have given much worse players more game time in recent seasons (Adnan-Lingard) and as much as Mata is looking the real deal at 10 he's woefully limited out in right wing.

Boycott

He will come good, whether with us or somebody else. Maybe not hitting the levels we once anticipated, but I have a hunch he will become a very good player. If I were the manager, from what I can see of him from a fan's perspective, I wouldn't sell him.
I agree but it will most likely be with another club. It's a shame how this transfer has ended up.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
This. We have given much worse players more game time in recent seasons (Adnan-Lingard) and as much as Mata is looking the real deal at 10 he's woefully limited out in right wing.
Memphis has not looked as good as Lingard at all.

And not through a lack of chances either.

Memphis is woeful at right wing too.So much so that Van Gaal had to move Martial to the right just get Memphis on his preferred spot. Mata is a far better right winger than Memphis has ever been.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He's not done anything to force himself back into the side since LVG sidelined him - rightly so - for a series of horror shows.

Can't see him turning it around, and frankly, never seen that much talent in him at United.

kr0nix

I feel for him. He's the sort of player that needs to feel the trust from his manager, and he knows he doesn't have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.