Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Memphis has not looked as good as Lingard at all.

And not through a lack of chances either.

Memphis is woeful at right wing too.So much so that Van Gaal had to move Martial to the right just get Memphis on his preferred spot. Mata is a far better right winger than Memphis has ever been.
I'd rather go with Young than Lingard personally. I think Lingard is very average and won't be here in 2 seasons like Tom Cleverly

Brophs

The One and Only
He was pretty rubbish last season, even after being given plenty of chances, but this season it's impossible to know, as he comes in for the odd 10 mins here or there which doesn't really give any basis for getting the best out of him.

If I had to make a judgement, based on what I've seen so far, he's not good enough and lacks the footballing intelligence to make it at a top club, but with a dozen games in a row and a bit of confidence it's possible he might be able to save himself. The problem is, he won't get those games in this set up.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
But Lingard is playing well now.
That's my point.

And he could turn out being another Fletcher.We don't know.
I hope your right buddy but I can't see it.

SirScholes

:lol:

You are being harsh.
I agree with your post above and he should be a squad player

My problem is you know what you are going to get....very little, so how would you use him? he isnt an impact player because he has no impact, he isnt strong enough to use as a wall like fellaini gets used for.
If you play him against weaker sides you run the risk of not having an attacking threat on which ever wing he plays on and may end up with a 0-0
So his only use is when we are already a head and comfortable, those games are few and far between.

Atleast with depay you havent a clue what will happen, he hasnt had the chances lingard has had, Lingards one advantage is for all he is useless, he does keep it simple so wont look as bad as Depay who may try something, certainly like to see
Depay given some time but only because he cant be any worse.

MD7

But Lingard is playing well now.
But Memphis hasn't been given the chance this season to show that he is able to play well. That's the issue, even more so since Lingard wasn't even average, and United shouldn't settle for average. It could be that Memphis fails, and just isn't cut out for it, but not giving him any proper chances seems a bit silly when we didn't sell him in the summer.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
But Memphis hasn't been given the chance this season to show that he is able to play well. That's the issue, even more so since Lingard wasn't even average, and United shouldn't settle for average. It could be that Memphis fails, and just isn't cut out for it, but not giving him any proper chances seems a bit silly when we didn't sell him in the summer.
Lingard has been much better than Memphis. Especially last season, when Memphis got far more chances.

Imo, Memphis simply isnt good enough. I mentioned it when Jose was hired that Memphis simply didnt have the skills that Jose looks for in a player and thus this wouldnt turn out well for him. Thats exactly how its turned out.

K2K

I agree with your post above and he should be a squad player

My problem is you know what you are going to get....very little, so how would you use him? he isnt an impact player because he has no impact, he isnt strong enough to use as a wall like fellaini gets used for.
If you play him against weaker sides you run the risk of not having an attacking threat on which ever wing he plays on and may end up with a 0-0
So his only use is when we are already a head and comfortable, those games are few and far between.

Atleast with depay you havent a clue what will happen, he hasnt had the chances lingard has had, Lingards one advantage is for all he is useless, he does keep it simple so wont look as bad as Depay who may try something, certainly like to see
Depay given some time but only because he cant be any worse.
You do.

A failure to beat his man being one of his specialties. Depay got plenty of chances last season and failed everytime. We cant just ignore that. Lingard made the best of the time he got on the field, which was less than Memphis last season.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He'll do well at Galatasaray.

They're regulary in Champs League, he'll get well paid and the League is easy so he'll beat one or two mens here and there.

Hopefully we'll manage to sell him around 15M

SirScholes

You do.

A failure to beat his man being one of his specialties. Depay got plenty of chances last season and failed everytime. We cant just ignore that. Lingard made the best of the time he got on the field, which was less than Memphis last season.
Different manager, all players within reason should be given a second chance, it was also depays first season in a competitive league, Lingard continues to offer little other than being young and running around a lot

MD7

You do.

Yeah because that's a specialty of Lingard who has less creativity in his play than Rooney.

Indeed Lingard did better last year, but I don't see that as a reason to not give Memphis more chances, even more so since Memphis has shown more in 1 game (Midtjylland), than Lingard will ever show. If were gonna grade players only based on their first season we can ship off Mahrez, should've sold Ronaldo, and there are many many more cases.

K2K

Yeah because that's a specialty of Lingard who has less creativity in his play than Rooney.

Indeed Lingard did better last year, but I don't see that as a reason to not give Memphis more chances, even more so since Memphis has shown more in 1 game (Midtjylland), than Lingard will ever show. If were gonna grade players only based on their first season we can ship off Mahrez, should've sold Ronaldo, and there are many many more cases.
It was just FC Midtyland. For that one game, they are countless other games where he failed miserably. It would take hours naming them, so I wont.

Lingard scored a winner in a FA cup final for example. But that is beside the point.

That is a rather poor argument using Mahrez and Ronaldo, especially as they have been many more players that have flopped in their first season and continued to flop thereafter relative the the outlier that turn things around. Memphis lacks in basic fundamentals. Time wont fix that. He was one of those I expected Jose to sell simply because he isnt good enough, and sadly, that seems like it will occur.

MD7

That is a rather poor argument using Mahrez and Ronaldo, especially as they have been many more players that have flopped in their first season and continued to flop thereafter relative the the outlier that turn things around. Memphis lacks in basic fundamentals. Time wont fix that. He was one of those I expected Jose to sell simply because he isnt good enough, and sadly, that seems like it will occur.
The point I'm trying to make is that I think it would be better if we found out if Memphis has the capabilities, thus giving him more chances, and another season, instead of selling him. Of course for each Ronaldo there are 10 Kezman's but we should find out at least. Next thing you know we sell him, and we buy him back after 4 years for 100mil.

Btw Jose isn't going to sell because he stated multiple times that he believes in Memphis.

MD7

Any idea why he hasn't traveled to Turkey?
According to Manchester United Evening News (not sure if credible source):

M.E.N. Sport understands the 22-year-old Dutchman has not distinguished himself in Jose Mourinho's recent training sessions and some teammates were surprised he even came on as a substitute in the weekend draw against Burnley.

mewnew11

MEN is mostly rubbish, however i think its games like these where players like memphis, morgan and fosu mensah should be confirmed starters.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If that were true he wouldn't have come on vs Burnley

Loublaze

ATLien
Losing faith in this guy. I really thought he'd have forced his way back into the team but I was wrong. He's just not fulfilling his early promise and he's looked mentally weak and short of confidence since Lingard usurped him from the starting 11 last season. I think he should stay on but if he doesn't improve he should be sold in the summer. He's been a flop

Scholesy

To be fair, he has not been given a kick all season

Should be first choice left winger. When boring players like Lingard and Young are ahead of you, it is time to leave for his own good. Could have been great aswell.

acnumber9

The point I'm trying to make is that I think it would be better if we found out if Memphis has the capabilities, thus giving him more chances, and another season, instead of selling him. Of course for each Ronaldo there are 10 Kezman's but we should find out at least. Next thing you know we sell him, and we buy him back after 4 years for 100mil.

Btw Jose isn't going to sell because he stated multiple times that he believes in Memphis.
That will never be happening. He's nowhere near good enough. He's more Ryan Babel than Paul Pogba.

acnumber9

Should be first choice left winger. When boring players like Lingard and Young are ahead of you, it is time to leave for his own good. Could have been great aswell.
Lingard hasn't once started on the left wing and Young started just once.

Kant-ona

Disappointing really. (Not the decision from Mou, but that the whole story "not good enough in training" sounds realistic.)

I thought that the Europa League could be a good chance for him to get some self confidence and find his way "back" into the team, but so far you have to say, that the signing of this young man didn't work out at all.

He seems to be more gone than Schweinsteiger in August.

Boycott

Seems like the club have written him off.

The transfer has gone badly wrong but it's a combination of factors.

Memphis arrived with a cock-sure attitude and that probably wasn't a good image to reflect, particularly as he was making a big step up from the Dutch league to Manchester United. So when he's not performing he becomes an easy target to scapegoat since he puts himself out there. But better players have struggled in their first year in England or at a big club.

I made the point at the time that he should have been eased in and earn his place and that Ashley Young should have kept his starter place (ideally buy an upgrade but that didn't happen). LvG obviously had belief in Memphis but those poor displays eroded his belief. The coaches didn't help his case in that way.

Borden

My god. He's been turd almost every time he's played for us.

It's simple really: he's just not nearly as talented as we thought. Get rid.

sugar_kane

Van Gaal didn't fancy him either. To blame Mourinho for Memphis's shortcomings is ludicrous. He's had plenty of chances.

Bwuk

Hope for his sake he leaves in January. Think the talent is obvious, but he's never going to consistently get a run in our side. He's at an age where he has to play every week if he's to fulfil his potential. He won't do that here.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
How odd to give a reason why he isn't travelling and a contradiction to it in the same article :houllier:

stevoc

Lingard hasn't once started on the left wing and Young started just once.

He has to be fair, off the top of my head he started against City on the left with Mkhitaryan on the right. Might have been one or two other times also.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I could sympathise with his struggles but I just don't get the impression that he cares very much.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
i think he has to be our number 1 most likely player to be transferred in january. not that selling anyone is altogether likely, but he's still top of the list regardless.

acnumber9

He has to be fair, off the top of my head he started against City on the left with Mkhitaryan on the right. Might have been one or two other times also.
Fair point. It's mostly been Martial and Rashford starting there though as anyone who has watched us would know. It doesn't make as hyperbolic a statement though. Easier to blame it on a player that started once in a role that Depay would never have been able to perform.

K2K

We've wasted countless money and time by not letting players go.

We also have never willingly sold players and bought them back at this club.Never for 100m either.Because we all know we never wanted to sell Pogba so that's another poor example.
Jose has said that.But his actions tell a whole different story.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
£27m down the drain. Will go down as one of the worst transfers in this club's history, if not the worst.
Fellaini has been a much better signing and that's saying something.

Status
Not open for further replies.