4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldTrevil

Decent cameo, some good and some bad moments. Expected really given his lack of game time, it's a long season so hopefully he puts it all together at some point.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
If you call that performance good I'd hate to see what you consider to be bad.
It seems as though you have a problem with our Memphis. He was decent today, and certainly not as terrible as so many posters on this forum want to claim.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm interested in what you think would've been the right decision when he played through Mata in the centre, and his heel pass again to Mata towards the end.
Rooney was in the box and he could've easily have crossed but he didn't and tried to skin one or two players and ran out of room. He took a pot shot at the goal which he does in nearly every game he plays when there's no chance of scoring. Also the failed attempt to pass to Martial when he was through on goal definitely should've been executed better.

Jaybomb

Had a few good moments. His link up play with Mata in particular has been very good when he's come on recently.

Unfortunately for him, Lingard's after scoring an absolute banger. It will take something special for Memphis to get his name on the team sheet. I was hoping he would score a big long shot tonight but it just didn't happen.

Wow, it feels like a lifetime ago when everyone was buzzing about this guy being the next Ronaldo.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
,started poor and played better gradually. Good pass to set up Mata for a 100% chance, good strength to hold off the defender, good pass to Rooney who fecks it up. Good back heel for mata which could have resulted in an even more dangerous opportunity. Even that counter with Rooney in which he didnt pass immediately, he did well to beat the defender but should have passes earlier, the angle was tight tho.

khoazany

Decent performance from him but still that won't do him much favour looking at his competitors - Lingard had a better game today, Young is useful for his workrate and Martial is just a superior talent and player. There's no reason to start Memphis in any serious game so Europa League is the best he can hope for some game times.

Sammyjunn

Decent performance from him but still that won't do him much favour looking at his competitors - Lingard had a better game today, Young is useful for his workrate and Martial is just a superior talent and player. There's no reason to start Memphis in any serious game so Europa League is the best he can hope for some game times.
Agree but surely we can put him above Young, Young really has no use on the wing offensively. He gives his all everytime and he's a stable player but if you expect anything attackingly, he wont give you anything. Martial, Miki, Lingard, Rashford are all better than Memphis on the wing, I'd make him an Euro League starter.

khoazany

Agree but surely we can put him above Young, Young really has no use on the wing offensively. He gives his all everytime and he's a stable player but if you expect anything attackingly, he wont give you anything. Martial, Miki, Lingard, Rashford are all better than Memphis on the wing, I'd make him an Euro League starter.
For games that we're expected to dominant then yes he would be a better option than Young but again in those games Martial,Lingard or Rashford would probably start so we're back to square one. For games like Liverpool Young or Lingard's workrate would surely be prioritized.

Basically it brings back to my point in the summer that 23 outfield players are too many and someone are bound to not getting anywhere near enough game times and becomes unhappy. Maybe Jose just want to take extra number to reduce the risks on his first season of players underperforming.

kr0nix

Needs an extended run of games. With United already behind the other top teams, there's hardly any chance for him to play in the league.

Looks like a talented player, but is going the way Ryan Babel went. He looks very lonely when he comes on, as if he is not on great terms with his team mates.
This, pretty much covers it. Feel a bit sorry for him, I think he has a lot more to give than what he has shown so far.
His off-the-ball movement is quite good, and he's not picked out often enough. Mata had the chance to set him up for a tap in late in the game but he took it on himself and failed to score.
Unlike some others, I don't see a brash or arrogant lad there at all, more the opposite.

dichinero

Unfortunate to have the players ahead of him. He needs a run of game to build his confi

Golden Nugget

,started poor and played better gradually. Good pass to set up Mata for a 100% chance, good strength to hold off the defender, good pass to Rooney who fecks it up. Good back heel for mata which could have resulted in an even more dangerous opportunity. Even that counter with Rooney in which he didnt pass immediately, he did well to beat the defender but should have passes earlier, the angle was tight tho.
My exact thoughts. Started poorly, but grew into the game. Not enough to start for us at the moment, but there's definitely signs.

Sammyjunn

For games that we're expected to dominant then yes he would be a better option than Young but again in those games Martial,Lingard or Rashford would probably start so we're back to square one. For games like Liverpool Young or Lingard's workrate would surely be prioritized.

Basically it brings back to my point in the summer that 23 outfield players are too many and someone are bound to not getting anywhere near enough game times and becomes unhappy. Maybe Jose just want to take extra number to reduce the risks on his first season of players underperforming.
I agree, but Memphis last start against top opposition (vs Arsenal) he showed that he can do the defensive job as well of he's instructed to, kept Bellerin very quiet that day. But I agree with your assessment, it's really unlikely that he'll make it here, too many players in front of him. I do hope that he can evolve into a useful squad option though.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He just came one for 15 minutes or so and has been really bad. Typical from an out of shape and out of confidence player.

We have to admit that he's worth nothing and his displays never give us anything more. Crosses ? Assists ?

It's painful to watch and even more when you see him with the number 7.

I don't want to compare them, but Di Maria was also out of favour, but provided things when he came in. Why ? Because he's talented.

I'm not really sure about his real level. Disapoint me a lot and I just hope he leaves this January on loan to PSV or in Italy

Sammyjunn

He just came one for 15 minutes or so and has been really bad. Typical from an out of shape and out of confidence player.

We have to admit that he's worth nothing and his displays never give us anything more. Crosses ? Assists ?

It's painful to watch and even more when you see him with the number 7.

I don't want to compare them, but Di Maria was also out of favour, but provided things when he came in. Why ? Because he's talented.

I'm not really sure about his real level. Disapoint me a lot and I just hope he leaves this January on loan to PSV or in Italy
Did you watch the match? He played for 25 min (without added time) and he should easily have an assist that Mata didnt bury.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Did you watch the match? He played for 25 min (without added time) and he should easily have an assist that Mata didnt bury.
He was bad. He could have one or two assists, but finished with nothing. He has a 1 vs 1 with a defender and the ball came off the pitch.

Absolute waste of time. He'll never impact games coming on as a sub

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I feel sorry for him. His Man Utd career has really been a trainwreck. He also seems so hellbent on impressing when he comes on, that he tries to much and ends up doing something stupid (decent enough cameo yesterday though)

Also, with the players in stock now, he really is far behind in the pecking order.

Mata, Marial, Rashford, Lingaard, Miki and Young are all ahead of him imo for those two wide spots, so he will have a really hard time getting any games. When you come on as a sub in the fecking Europa League, it tells the story really

The best thing now would either be a loan in January, or just cutting our losses and getting rid.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I just don't get it. He was simply too good for the Eredivisie and ready for a step up. You can argue Utd was a step too big but then you see Martial and Rashford performing well and you just wonder why Memphis can't.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I feel we should be starting him in europa matches.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think he deserves a run of games to show what he can do. If not, I can see him leaving in the summer with a collective shrug of the shoulders from everyone involved. The talent is in there somewhere.

Sammyjunn

He was bad. He could have one or two assists, but finished with nothing. He has a 1 vs 1 with a defender and the ball came off the pitch.

Absolute waste of time. He'll never impact games coming on as a sub
Should he have forced Mata to score? He delivered the same pass so if Mata did bury that chance, would that change his performance? He had some poor moments agreed, but was again one of our most dangerous players when he came on. Which 1 vs 1 are you referring to, the counter one when he went up with Rooney?

MD7

I thought he was actually better than Martial (again), who barely showed anything. Even more so for someone who barely played, and only gets 20-30min here, and there. He should leave, his talent is wasted here currently since he's not getting enough game time

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I thought he was actually better than Martial (again), who barely showed anything. Even more so for someone who barely played, and only gets 20-30min here, and there. He should leave, his talent is wasted here currently since he's not getting enough game time
Better than Martial?
I don't think we watched the same game.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought Martial had an average to poor game. Still nowhere near his best. Memphis started really badly when he messed up that simple left-footed pass but did very well after that. If you were to base the team selection for Chelsea on last night's performance alone, you'd start Depay ahead of Martial.

kr0nix

Better than Martial?
I don't think we watched the same game.
If Martial was better than Memphis it wasn't by much. Aside from a couple of good runs in behind the defence, Martial hardly attempted any dribbles, which is the strongest part of his game. This highlights video shows as much.
That's not to say Martial had a bad game, but Memphis laid on a chance for Mata himself and dribbled past his opponent at least once from memory. He did fluff one chance to put Martial in on goal but aside from that he was fine.
Personally I believe that if Memphis does leave, he will have left without showing his full range of qualities from us. I think there's more to come from him, and I wouldn't be surprised if he left and went on to be successful with another club.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If Martial was better than Memphis it wasn't by much. Aside from a couple of good runs in behind the defence, Martial hardly attempted any dribbles, which is the strongest part of his game. This highlights video shows as much.
That's not to say Martial had a bad game, but Memphis laid on a chance for Mata himself and dribbled past his opponent at least once from memory. He did fluff one chance to put Martial in on goal but aside from that he was fine.
Personally I believe that if Memphis does leave, he will have left without showing his full range of qualities from us. I think there's more to come from him, and I wouldn't be surprised if he left and went on to be successful with another club.

Martial played like a forward yesterday with most of his work done off the ball. That has been his biggest criticism this season. I'm not surprised his dribbling stats were ow for the game. And he did it, very well. Although, I would like him to shoot more.
As for Memphis, whatever potential he has, won't be fulfilled here. He simply won't get the chance. I would prefer we get rid and then sign an attacker Mourinho believes in.

ants7

I do not want to see him near the first team. Simply doesn't make the cut and we cannot afford a gamble considering where we are in the PL table.

A loan move to a team where he would start would be perfect for him.

To chaps posting above, I have much more confidence in Martial having a good game rather than Memphis doing so.

NL-Wessel

Supports
NEC
It was mentioned here earlier, the "confrontation" between Memphis and van Persie in the game. Both had once a quarrel during a traning session of the Dutch team. Memphis displayed an arrogant attitude and van Persie didnt like that. Perhaps van Persie said perhaps to Memphis during the game something like " hey, are you granted some minutes to play now", haha.

In Holland I didnt like Memphis so much because of his attitude. Dutch press is very kind compared to the English press but he didnt want to talk wtth them and ignored them completely. His attitude in the game too was one of arrogance. And of selfishness. I think he latter is hindering him in his play, especially in Manchester. Too often he has played his own game and was he not a real teamplayer. Too often he wants to make a solo action, also when it is not wise to do so. If he doesnt change this he wll never be a good player. And he has certainlyi some capabilities but comparing him with a Ronaldo or a Dutch player like Robben is simply ridiculous. He is by far not that good. Dutch national players say he will e eventually make it in the Pl. I doubt. I think he is too slow to be a winger of the extra class. Perhaps at an other position or in an other competition, fe in Germany or Italy.

Last edited:

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's done well a few times this season Which is good, he did alright for Holland against France as well. I think he needs to go in the summer though, I wouldn't want him to I'd be quite happy to have him as a squad player, but it would be selfish to hamper a young players career like that. He can probably still make something for himself if he lands himself at a decent side and builds from there. I'm not so sure that he's a winger though, he's just not got the raw pace of a winger, yet his link up play and shooting is pretty good. He might be alright as a centre forward behind a number nine.

Minimalist

Think people are saying the same but he just looks like he's overthinking it and trying too hard.

I've said it before but I'd rather ship out dead weight like Ashley Young and give this lad a squad place for another year or two before cutting our losses.

I mean jesus christ, we have people on here who still believe in that fool Phil Fecking Jones, we can at least give Memphis another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.