4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AXVnee7

Definitely he needs a run of games if went to bring the best out of him. As others have mentioned he's currently stuck in a vicious cycle where he's been dropped, and mostly has cameos in which he tries too hard to impress. He then gets loads of stick, but nevertheless he is still a bit-part player right now.

I thought Jose would've given him the Europa league games but he hasn't featured as much as I thought he would. He has however been brought on in the PL at times when I wouldn't expect him to and that tells me Jose does have faith in him. I would be for a loan move ASAP. This guy has got talent but I don't think he was right for LVG's system. If Jose doesn't give him a proper chance or at least a chance to improve himself somewhere else it'll be a real shame.

Ah well as I mentioned in the newbies if we let him go and he goes on to become world class, we can just buy him back for
riduclous money!

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Yep, his shots are nearly always struggling to make it on goal and most of the time he barely hits it cleanly.

Good shots in the video, on target and powerful, both things i havent seen 99% of the time for us in games
It must be something mental as well, sure he isnt good enough and sure the level is too high for him but he was scoring some crackers left right and centre in the EL, Eredivisie and for the NT team, it's so strange that it has completely vanished when he plays for usm

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He hasn't shown much since he came. And all his attempts to prove his worth have been in vain. I don't see how anyone can paint his stint in the Premier League in a positive light. I don't think we should let him go yet but i definitely don't think we should hold him in case he thinks he has been treated unfairly. I'm also unsure about what he thinks is acceptable at this level. And this kind of statements in the press aren't helping at all.

In this moment, he's just one of the many very promising players who did not rise to the expected level. He needs to shut up and finally produce something.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He hasn't shown much since he came. And all his attempts to prove his worth have been in vain. I don't see how anyone can paint his stint in the Premier League in a positive light. I don't think we should let him go yet but i definitely don't think we should hold him in case he thinks he has been treated unfairly. I'm also unsure about what he thinks is acceptable at this level. And this kind of statements in the press aren't helping at all.

In this moment, he's just one of the many very promising players who did not rise to the expected level. He needs to shut up and finally produce something.
How can he do that when he's being brought on for 7 minutes at the end of the game?

Im convinced it's a mental block for him, IF we can get him playing consistent football with confidence we'll see the player we thought we had signed.

Borden

How can he do that when he's being brought on for 7 minutes at the end of the game?

Im convinced it's a mental block for him, IF we can get him playing consistent football with confidence we'll see the player we thought we had signed.
Probably a reason for that. He hasn't played much, but what he has played he's shown about as little as he did last year.

I can't see him ever making it at United unfortunately.

George Beast

Just came on after 15 mins for the Netherlands vs France due to an injury. Great opportunity for him out of nowhere. Hopes he takes it.

Litch

Come on Memphis another solid half and a bit of a confidence boost as there is a player in there....

sport2793

Mixed bag from Memphis today. Has shown the ability and inability to beat a man in the same match. His loss/lack of pace reminds me of Rooney which is shocking considering Memphis is much younger. At the same time, he has demonstrated technical ability at times in the match and was unlucky to not score the equalizer against Lloris with that volley at the end.

Litch

Still looks like he's trying too hard but had some moments and looked more likely to score than any other Dutch player. The biggest thing for me is his complete lack of pace which appears more evident than before. If the tricks don't come off, he's completely fecked..

Irrational.

He doesn't have pace, he can't beat a man, goes down far too easily, questionable finishing and his crosses verge from the abominable to a semi-decent delivery.

£30 million. :houllier:

EDIT: On reading this does seem overly harsh, but he definitely needs to build his confidence somewhere. Definitely not a starter for us at present.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Definitely he needs a run of games if went to bring the best out of him. As others have mentioned he's currently stuck in a vicious cycle where he's been dropped, and mostly has cameos in which he tries too hard to impress. He then gets loads of stick, but nevertheless he is still a bit-part player right now.

I thought Jose would've given him the Europa league games but he hasn't featured as much as I thought he would. He has however been brought on in the PL at times when I wouldn't expect him to and that tells me Jose does have faith in him. I would be for a loan move ASAP. This guy has got talent but I don't think he was right for LVG's system. If Jose doesn't give him a proper chance or at least a chance to improve himself somewhere else it'll be a real shame.

Ah well as I mentioned in the newbies if we let him go and he goes on to become world class, we can just buy him back for
riduclous money!
Most players we let go and up flopping even more.

Pogba is one we didn't want to let go.People should stop using that as a comparison.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
His lack of pace has been talked about previously.
But here is a question: at PSV, was he not known for having great pace?
My understanding was that at PSV, he was a fast player who knew how to score/create goals.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
My understanding was that at PSV, he was a fast player who knew how to score/create goals.
He added some weight when he arrived here and lost some of his pace, but some act as if he's some slouch or a winger version of Carrick, which is exaggerating. He wasnt really a creator, more a finisher with good runs, a good shot and he was decent coming inside.

Bwuk

He's not electric, but he's not slow either.

Memphis needs confidence. It's clear there's a player there.

Ferguson would of had him firing.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

He got more than enough opportunities last season.He was in every match day squad last season except for the cup final.

Remember that Van Gaal even moved Martial to the right last season just to fit him in the team.He then flopped and was benched.He has shown nothing to suggest that such a decision was incorrect.

Irrational.

This is a personal opinion, but I believe he tanked up once he came to United, and most of that bulk has gone to his thighs slowing him down.

At PSV he definitely seemed lighter on his feet.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He put on far too much muscle last year which made him too immobile, seems to have lost a fair bit though as he looks a lot leaner. He doesn't seem to have that burst of pace to beat his man like Martial though.

Litch

Not suggesting he's fast when talking about lack of pace but I'm sure he appeared 'faster' when he first came here. That said I still think he has a good skill set and we payed too much without making sure we make the right decision going forward.....

ti vu

Hulk esque is what should be used to describe Memphis' style of play. That's would be better start to see how to utilize him in a team.

ti vu

Without the long-range shots though.
With better marker, opposition's defensive organization... There is a reason big clubs stayed clear off Hulk (with that price tag in mind). No too dissimilar if you put it into context and Memphis was prolific scoring from distance in Dutch league.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He got more than enough opportunities last season.He was in every match day squad last season except for the cup final.

Remember that Van Gaal even moved Martial to the right last season just to fit him in the team.He then flopped and was benched.He has shown nothing to suggest that such a decision was incorrect.
It doesn't make my point any less pertinent though, he's a confidence player and he'll never regain that confidence unless he is played. Whether he's worth the investment is another matter all together.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The most worrying thing with him isn't the lack of pace and agility for me. He just seems to be making wrong decisions too often, just take that late FK for instance, he tried to score from it whereas Netherlands had brought all their biggest players inside the box.

MD7

Played a good game, was together with Blind, and Karsdorp the best dutch man on the pitch. Knowing that he doesn't have any game form he did very well.
Pro's:
  • Good runs, and good positioning
  • Nice flicks
  • Nice crossing, and freekicks
Con's
  • Makes really weird decisions sometimes when he get the ball, and holds up the play
  • Sometimes his opponents should be booked, but he seems to do some schwalbes now and then

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The most worrying thing with him isn't the lack of pace and agility for me. He just seems to be making wrong decisions too often, just take that late FK for instance, he tried to score from it whereas Netherlands had brought all their biggest players inside the box.
The real problem is his love affair with the grass, he is built like an aurochs but acts like a fragile little flower.

Kopral Jono

He was okay tonight. Come to think of it, each time I've seen him play this season he hasn't been as atrocious as he was last season.

ti vu

Yeah now, it was a big element of his game before though. Just like Ronaldo and his free kicks, completely dissappeared.
Completely soaked in LVG' philosophy I say. Pass pass and pass into the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.