Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Young stays on as he can play fullback. I'm hopeful Rooney stays on because he definitely isn't playing/starting Saturday.

Bwuk

He was probably the best of our front four, why was he subbed? It's not like hell play against Leicester.

MD7

He was probably the best of our front four, why was he subbed? It's not like hell play against Leicester.
Mourinho might have liked what he has seen, and I'm not sure what Martial's injury status is, but if he can't play I think he wants to play Memphis instead. Memphis-Zlatan-Rashford as our front 3 then. Or wants him fresh to make a 60/70-min substitution.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Don't really get your point.
My point is that 'talent' is relative. You can look good in any league and at any age, but that doesn't mean you're going to make it. Depay showed enough that it worth gambling on his potential, but since buying him he hasn't shown anywhere near enough quality so we can't keep pointing back to his eredivisie days as a reason for keeping faith in him. At some point, that faith runs out.

Dyslexic Untied

Was fresh and a bit more on today. Positive. Harsh to be subbed so early but may be that he is included on the weekend.

hirotan69er

I didn't like how kept on cutting into the middle, but at least he's not much of a ball hog anymore. So, that is good.

Devil may care

He doesn't cut in he goes sideways, and he's too slow to be a wide man, I just don't see much to get enthusiastic about, there are 3 players in the squad that look better than him in his favoured position.

Sam M

Who gives us that? Genuine question. All our attacker bar Rashford play average, even Martial.
Dunno, you would hope Martial, Micki and co will explode soon, they all posses greater talent. Depay, has his strengths - good off the ball movements etc, but we'll only see that if we build the side around him, and he isn't talented enough for that

Oldham

Did ok. Best of what I've seen of him for a while. Shame he was subbed I think.

Reddevildans

I get the feeling the other 10 players out there dont know what he'll do next, whether its a cross, dribble, step over, simple pass, etc. Therein lies the problem. He's too unpredictable and often gets confused himself. He should stick to the basics.

tomaldinho1

If Martial is out I think he can cause problems for Danny Simpson. Would love to see him simplify his game a little, seems fit and fast enough to be a great player. I don't get the ppl saying he is too slow to be a winger, he is clearly quite quick. Maybe not Rashford quick but still fast enough to get past defenders.

snk123

Harshly taken off. Was tormenting the RB - but needs to do this in the PL.

Litch

Best I've seen him for ages and 100% harshly taken off

ChaddyP

Probably taken off as he is in the managers plans for the weekend, just as Rooney wasnt taken off because of the opposite , i hope

Djemba-Djemba

I was no where near as impressed with him as most seem to be on here but he was ok I suppose.

Definitely can feel harshly treated to be taken off before Rooney.

AndyJ1985

The best thing I can say about him is he wasn't as bad as he normally is. Certainly wasn't good enough to earn himself a start against Leicester, though. It was unfair to take him off, simply because there was a potato headed donkey roaming around the vicinity of the pitch who should have been taken off first.

kr0nix

I think he would have buried the chance that Rooney scuffed.

Shark

@NotShark
I wasn't that impressed with him last night, think Jose will send him packing any chance he gets.

Red_Beans

Thought he played alright actually. Focussed on the basics and wasn't as selfish with the ball. I don't think he will ever be the all conquering winger I hoped when we signed him but he is better than what he showed last season

AR87

The reason his cutting in to the middle produced nothing was mostly because Rooney kept dropping back right into the area he was driving into, because Rooney refuses to even attempt to make runs in behind anymore. Also Young was weirdly coming very far in field at times, though I think he was attempting to make diagonal runs in the channel in behind his man and the CBs, just unsuccessfully.

Rojo also wasn't consistently providing width in attack, but when he did the space Memphis created by driving in was creating very good crossing opportunities for him. There were a few times Rojo whipped in lovely balls that a better striker than Rooney would have been on the end of. The specific one I'm thinking of Memphis drove in, then played it back to Herrera at the top of the box, who played a one time ball into Rojo making an overlapping run into loads of space which he whipped in to the 6 yard box first time, which Rooney failed to make contact on.

m1y2

would be a good chance for him to kickstart his career here again against Leicester if Martial is out, mabye it would be too attacking set up for Jose if we also played rashford out wide, I am giving him this season to prove

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think if he was given as many chances as Rooney this season who wouldn't do much worse. At the moment though, I'm not sure why Mourinho insisted on keeping him with the squad.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I think if he was given as many chances as Rooney this season who wouldn't do much worse. At the moment though, I'm not sure why Mourinho insisted on keeping him with the squad.
Rooney has already matched Memphis' goals/assists output in the league last season in 30% of the minutes played this season.

mewnew11

I think Memphis is unfairly judged on the cafe. I think Memphis will come good under Mourinho because of the different style of football we will adapt under Mourinho.

I was just going through some videos of Memphis before joining United. Here is a video of the goals he scored before joining United.

If you observe how he scored his goals you will see the type of player Memphis is, what his strong suits are:
1) He likes to make runs into the box and be the furthest man forward waiting for a cross to tap in.
2) He is always on the move making runs behind defenders and dribbles well when he has some acceleration.
3) He likes shooting from outside the box coming in from the wing.
3) Scores some brilliant free kicks.

Now Under Van Gal Memphis suffered because whenever he started to make runs he just wouldnt have anyone to play him in. He always had to comeback because our passing was sideways. You would have rooney , fellaini and mata all passing the ball behind and not playing a through ball. I remember in one of the interview Memphis had said that he needs to learn to dribble when he has the ball at his feet and he has not built up any acceleration. This is quiet a admission by Memphis as i think he knows this is where his game suffered the most and it does take time to adapt to the pace and physicality of the premier league.

I think with players like myktaryan , pogba and harrera settling into the team Memphis will benefit because of the vision these players bring into the game. Mourinho will clearly want a faster transition from defense to attack and would want midfielders to adapt this gameplan which would suit players like Memphis and rashford. All his strong suits would come into play when we play counter attacking football rather than a possession based football.

At the moment the man is a shadow of himself with low confidence and yes there is no question that he must improve his defensive work and commitment. However lets give the boy a chance before writing him off. If he could replicate his PSV form ( especially his free kicks ability ) he could be a great asset to the team.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Rooney isn't the only player stinking up our squad.
This is true. But Rooney is undroppable.
Memphis is almost always on the bench or doesn't even make the bench, so won't attract so much flack.

And for the record, I have said since last season: Memphis is a Championship level player. He can't do any damage to an EPL team, but he can definitely hurt a lower league team.
Unfortunately, he was not able to do anything against Northampton, so perhaps even Championship/League One is a little too tough for him now.
League Two, maybe?

Devil81

All skills but no brain to go with it, seems more clueless with every game.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I think Memphis is unfairly judged on the cafe. I think Memphis will come good under Mourinho because of the different style of football we will adapt under Mourinho.

I was just going through some videos of Memphis before joining United. Here is a video of the goals he scored before joining United.

If you observe how he scored his goals you will see the type of player Memphis is, what his strong suits are:
1) He likes to make runs into the box and be the furthest man forward waiting for a cross to tap in.
2) He is always on the move making runs behind defenders and dribbles well when he has some acceleration.
3) He likes shooting from outside the box coming in from the wing.
3) Scores some brilliant free kicks.

Now Under Van Gal Memphis suffered because whenever he started to make runs he just wouldnt have anyone to play him in. He always had to comeback because our passing was sideways. You would have rooney , fellaini and mata all passing the ball behind and not playing a through ball. I remember in one of the interview Memphis had said that he needs to learn to dribble when he has the ball at his feet and he has not built up any acceleration. This is quiet a admission by Memphis as i think he knows this is where his game suffered the most and it does take time to adapt to the pace and physicality of the premier league.

I think with players like myktaryan , pogba and harrera settling into the team Memphis will benefit because of the vision these players bring into the game. Mourinho will clearly want a faster transition from defense to attack and would want midfielders to adapt this gameplan which would suit players like Memphis and rashford. All his strong suits would come into play when we play counter attacking football rather than a possession based football.

At the moment the man is a shadow of himself with low confidence and yes there is no question that he must improve his defensive work and commitment. However lets give the boy a chance before writing him off. If he could replicate his PSV form ( especially his free kicks ability ) he could be a great asset to the team.
I think Jose simply isn't a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.