Mourinho tells Paul Pogba he'll never captain Manchester United again

Schneckerl

Agree, you’d think common sense would prevail with some people but obviously not! Should be a bannable offense.

Logic: Pogba is the seasons best player scoring and/or creating in most of our games this season after leading the French team to a world cup win. Jose calls a squad meeting to tell everyone he isn’t captain material.

Jose has warned our fans time and time again about listening to the press and yet some people don’t listen!! Bumholes!
Common sense is to listen to the press because they are more often right than not about any Mourinho stories.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Going off to media to mouth when club has problems? Undermining the manager publicly?

I don't really think Jose is doing a great job, but a player can't really be mouthing in the public all the time and not expect repercussions.
What did he said exactly? If its the attack attack attack tweet then Mou pretty much said the same thing during the post match against Derby. In fact he couldn't understand why we seem to vanish the moment we are a goal up.

Its evident that we're passing from a bad patch. The last thing we need is a spat between the manager and one of the most talented players we have. As said before, Pally once spilled the beans regarding United's tactics prior to an important game. I am sure the gaffer gave him one of his classical hairdryers after that but that was it. No empty threats about losing the captain's band at a time when the manager is lucky to remain here for another year, nothing. That's the difference between SAF and a man who seem losing the dressing room wherever he goes.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
If I'm honest, I don't see how you turn around to a player and say.....you'll never captain the club again.....and continue to play them ??

Whoever that player is, I just don't see how that can work ?

Name Changed

weso26
Mourinho seems to fall out with everybody these days. Personally I don't really mind Pogba's comments. The players are clearly frustrated with the tactics or lack of. It's only going to get worse and worse under Mourinho.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If I'm honest, I don't see how you turn around to a player and say.....you'll never captain the club again.....and continue to play them ??

Yeah, it will be interesting how this will develop. Dont see them patching up.

Berba's_Flick

Miguel Delaney is badging it Woodward backs Mourinho so it looks like it.
Love it if it’s true! Pogba can feck right off. Not getting along with a manager is common, but going to the press every time he’s on his period just isn’t right.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Mourinho seems to fall out with everybody these days. Personally I don't really mind Pogba's comments. The players are clearly frustrated with the tactics or lack of. It's only going to get worse and worse under Mourinho.
I'm also on the players side. Jose is not getting it right and picks fights everywhere. It is clear that the players dont agree with him and it clearly shows.

Name Changed

weso26
Love it if it’s true! Pogba can feck right off. Not getting along with a manager is common, but going to the press every time he’s on his period just isn’t right.
Well maybe if united didn't keep sending their most marketable player out to do all the interviews. ......

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Love watching Pogba but he's being a troublemaker. Yes, we could possibly be better off with him than with Mourinho, but what's to stop him criticising the next manager's tactics? This just isn't something that we as a club should tolerate because it undermines the manager's authority, even if the manager is not someone who is popular with many fans right now. Pogba moans about all the chatter in the press but then creates all the drama that fuels the fire.

I just wish we had a fully backed manager, whoever it may be. Plus a tough stance on players who try to undermine their authority. Instead we have this mess where there's now a cloud hanging over the current manager and we've barely begun the season.
Sorry but Mourinho taking swipes at his players constantly and many times just to bail himself out is going to cause the reactions we see - Mourinho cannot have it both ways and expect everything to be hunky dory. Pogba was in his line of fire during the off-season and he made comments against him that ensured he got an upset player back in camp, one with the status to actually feud with him and be backed by a club who don't want to lose him.

Even if you're going to conduct yourself in the way Mourinho does, you've got to do it from a position of strength during a successful period where your word and authority is as close to absolute as possible... he didn't do that either - in terms of setting himself up for a fall, Mourinho has done practically everything in his power to isolate himself and not be supported by a board who don't fully back him and have been given no reason whatsoever to. It brings dismay to see him, continually, flinging his players into the meat grinder, as he did post-match yesterday with Bailly and Jones - how can that not cause friction behind the scenes when all but his favourites can be turned on at his whim?

It does boggle the mind that he was kept on if the stance was that he wouldn't be backed, though, but he's doing absolutely nothing to redeem himself during the interim. Mourinho's problems are entirely of his own making and he's shown poor reading of his players, which has led to this circus.
Respect is earned though.
Jose has not done anything in his current job to earn any.
Which is a major issue and why any comparison with Fergie is a false equivalency in the extreme.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I wonder what the consensus would be on here if SAF came out in support of Jose.
I know I didn't always agree with SAF when he was winning us titles regarding certain issues (not investing in midfield, Obertan :lol:). SAF is a legend but that doesn't mean he cannot be wrong, the whole Moyes episode taught us that

Brophs

The One and Only
Really enjoying watching Pogba and Mourinho fighting for control at a club that neither of them seem to want to be at.

Berba's_Flick

Well maybe if united didn't keep sending their most marketable player out to do all the interviews. ......
Maybe if Pogba grew up and acted like a professional and took responsibility for his actions we’d probably have a great player on our hands. Not sending our most marketable player isn’t happening

iamkiranks

What Pogba said was true, yes.

Jose basically said the same that we need to attack more, finish the game off etc., yes.

But what was the need for Pogba to go public and he's done it for the second time. Jose even tried to make amends by giving him the armband in the first place.

Tactics and our approach are poor, agreed. But Pogba shouldn't have gone public.

Name Changed

weso26
Maybe if Pogba grew up and acted like a professional and took responsibility for his actions we’d probably have a great player on our hands. Not sending our most marketable player isn’t happening
Maybe I misread but did he not do exactly that and take responsibility for giving the ball away for the goal ?

tonnas

Cant blame pogba, football is currently lethargic atm and season is already over after just 6 weeks. What do you expect? Pogba just shutting his mouth and another season down the drain?

Berba's_Flick

Cant blame pogba, football is currently lethargic atm and season is already over after just 6 weeks. What do you expect? Pogba just shutting his mouth and another season down the drain?
Yes! That’s what I expect. That’s what every other player is doing. He is a player and his only job is to perform on the pitch. Being frustrated is natural and I understand it. Not saying Mourinho is amazing but the day you give players a free hand that’s when you go to shit as a club. He said what he wanted to and these are the repercussions. Serves him right

roonster09

Scout
So Jose blaming players in press conference is all good, it's the kick in the arse players needed. When player says we should attack more, need more movement, then he is wrong. Somehow manager/coach is bigger than club.

Players didn't do their job and Jose called them out few times and it was right, our attacking game is nothing but pile of crap and one frustrated player rightly said that in press.

Also it's funny when people praise ex players for speaking to press without PR crap, now in this era player said what most fans think, somehow it's wrong.

I don't care what happens to Pogba, whether he is benched for whole season or sold to some random leagues, I'm happy he said that in press that we should attack and need better movement.

redIndianDevil

Mourinho set the precedent when he kept throwing the players to the press dogs every chance he got last season to save his face. Why didn't you guys support the players back then? Respect has to go both ways, Mourinho is not the supreme commander here, he is just like any other player working for a salary. Mourinho has earned zero rights to act like he does, if this was SAF no player would have dared to pull this stuff, Mourinho hasn't earned that respect from this squad.

Even if we assume players like Pogba and Martial are not giving their all for the manager why are Mourinho's favorites like Matic, Lukaku and Sanchez look dogshite most games? The point is there is an issue with the coaching, I'd rather players speak out against this crap coaching instead of knuckling under and keep playing like shit every game.

Litch

No problem if the manager isn't happy with players but why does he have to publicly share it? Which manager in the world of football tells the press you've stripped the player of the captaincy. The focus then moves away from the football and circus starts between him and the player. The dressing room becomes split between Jose and Paul, and here it starts. There is a big black cloud over OT, and it's not going away anytime soon....

Litch

Mourinho set the precedent when he kept throwing the players to the press dogs every chance he got last season to save his face. Why didn't you guys support the players back then? Respect has to go both ways, Mourinho is not the supreme commander here, he is just like any other player working for a salary. Mourinho has earned zero rights to act like he does, if this was SAF no player would have dared to pull this stuff, Mourinho hasn't earned that respect from this squad.

Even if we assume players like Pogba and Martial are not giving their all for the manager why are Mourinho's favorites like Matic, Lukaku and Sanchez look dogshite most games? The point is there is an issue with the coaching, I'd rather players speak out against this crap coaching instead of knuckling under and keep playing like shit every game.
Totally agree and this is vintage Jose. Deflect, deflect, deflect. It's somebody else fault problem, not his unless it's the win. Pogba is a big personality and I'm in no doubt, there is a split. No expert but I've been watching Pogs relationship with Rom for a while on the pitch. Where's the love we saw between them when Rom first came? I suspect there are players in that dressing room thing, might be me next going under the bus....

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

At this point that's speculation, wouldn't surprise me to see Pogba on the bench Saturday

redIndianDevil

I see nothing wrong with what Pogba said(may be could have left out the "manager has to do it" bit). You don't see Bayern fans turning on their players when they got rid of Ancelotti for not coaching properly. It's the United fan base that's refusing to move on with the time. Wake up and smell the coffee people, there won't be another Alex Ferguson and Jose fecking Mourinho is not even fit to lace the boots off the great man. He hasn't earned the respect to do whatever the feck he wants here. Our attacking play is shite and the fecker hasn't still fixed it.

Drz

Found this hilarious, as for the first time in my life I heard United news/gossip on the local radio here in France before leaving for work lol
Can't believe this was news-worthy at 7 in the morning xD

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I see nothing wrong with what Pogba said(may be could have left out the "manager has to do it" bit). You don't see Bayern fans turning on their players when they got rid of Ancelotti for not coaching properly. It's the United fan base that's refusing to move on with the time. Wake up and smell the coffee people, there won't be another Alex Ferguson and Jose fecking Mourinho is not even fit to lace the boots off the great man. He hasn't earned the respect to do whatever the feck he wants here. Our attacking play is shite and the fecker hasn't still fixed it.
100%

People have been brainwashed into thinking managers deserve to be at the club as long as possible, even when doing a poor job.

Just because Fergie turned it around (in completely different circumstances) doesn't mean others will. This is a different era and there is 0 signs of improvement.

Lampard has this Derby team playing MUCH better football within 12 games with loan signings FFS!

roonster09

Scout
100%

People have been brainwashed into thinking managers deserve to be at the club as long as possible, even when doing a poor job.

Just because Fergie turned it around (in completely different circumstances) doesn't mean others will. This is a different era and there is 0 signs of improvement.

Lampard has this Derby team playing MUCH better football within 12 games with loan signings FFS!
Exactly. Just like no player is bigger than club, manager is also not above the club. Don't know what Jose achieved by saying that Pogba won't captain again in the press. Looks like Jose is not happy with someone else playing his games.

settembrini

Don't worry guys Pogba and Mourinho have a great relationship and this is just more lies from the press.

Here are five reasons we can be optimistic for the rest of the season:

Water Melon

If the quote in the post above is true, then Mou is a goner. Now it's on Ed. Think we will miss top 4 and Jose is gone