OFFICIAL: Jose Mourinho is Manchester United manager | Megathread closed, start new Mourinho threads

How do feel about José Mourinho's appointment as Man Utd manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan11

...and, if rumours are true, different teams very soon. FFS! I know they play in different positions. The point... ah... never mind.
Are you going to call Jose insane when he signs better players than Blind or Mata? Which isn't really hard to do.

So Jose is insane apparently for selling two average players.

DenisIrwin

Are you going to call Jose insane when he signs better players than Blind or Mata? Which isn't really hard to do.

So Jose is insane apparently for selling two average players.
There is more to it than that, but yes, I believe it is madness to sell two of our best players and offer an extension to one of our worst performers.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
There is more to it than that, but yes, I believe it is madness to sell two of our best players and offer an extension to one of our worst performers.
If they don't figure highly in his plans then it probably makes sense to sell them whilst they'd get a decent fee, rather than leave them on the sidelines and watch their value drop accordingly. Carrick at this point knows the club like the back of his hand and is one of the few remaining figures at the club that have won everything there is to offer - invaluable experience, particularly with so many young 'uns around. Letting him go on a free seems a bit of a waste when I'm sure he'd gladly take a back-up squad role.

That said, I doubt we're selling Mata and Blind straight away to be honest.

DenisIrwin

If they don't figure highly in his plans then it probably makes sense to sell them whilst they'd get a decent fee, rather than leave them on the sidelines and watch their value drop accordingly. Carrick at this point knows the club like the back of his hand and is one of the few remaining figures at the club that have won everything there is to offer - invaluable experience, particularly with so many young 'uns around. Letting him go on a free seems a bit of a waste when I'm sure he'd gladly take a back-up squad role.

That said, I doubt we're selling Mata and Blind straight away to be honest.
Letting him go on a free or offering him an extension.... Hmmmm... We couldn't sell him - obviously. Who else would be so insane as to offer him a contract that he'd accept?

DenisIrwin

The state of our team if Mata/Blind are our best players.
I don't think anyone is saying they're our best players are they? They are among our best though. How well do you think we'd have done this season without them? Blind was important in our very good defense. Mata was second only to Rooney for goals/assists. Why am I arguing this? It's entirely self-evident. I'm going to sleep. Good night.

carlosp

He didn't say Mata/Blind are our best players. However Blind has been excellent for the majority of the season and no one can really dispute that. Yes you get one or two games that didn't go well but he is an intelligent player. One would think Mourinho would like such players. Mata I can understand however we need a replacement before we sell either. Yes there's three months to go before the end of the contract window but stranger things have happened where we have not got the players we wanted. I would be happy to see Blind stay.

Last edited:

Bojan11

I don't think anyone is saying they're our best players are they? They are among our best though. How well do you think we'd have done this season without them? Blind was important in our very good defense. Mata was second only to Rooney for goals/assists. Why am I arguing this? It's entirely self-evident. I'm going to sleep. Good night.
You just said they our best players.

Speaking of insanity.:wenger:

stevoc

Yes, like Blind and Mata are world class players who can't be replaced.

We'd have no problems replacing the above two.
Yeah sounds like great business sell two players bought for a combined £50m+, no doubt for knock down fees. And replace them with yet more expensive purchases who may not even turn out to be better players.

Buy high, sell low the United way of recent years. Perhaps we should just streamline the process and start withdrawing cash from the clubs accounts and burn it on bonfires. Save ourselves some time.

Honestly our squad is thin enough as it is, we can't really afford more massive squad turnover this summer. All thats needs doing to this squad is 1-2 players out and 4-6 quality players in.

Bojan11

Yeah sounds like great business sell two players bought for a combined £50m+, no doubt for knock down fees. And replace them with yet more expensive purchases who may not even turn out to be better players.

Buy high, sell low the United way of recent years. Perhaps we should just streamline the process and start withdrawing cash from the clubs accounts and burn it on bonfires. Save ourselves some time.

Honestly our squad is thin enough as it is, we can't really afford more massive squad turnover this summer. All thats needs doing to this squad is 1-2 players out and 4-6 quality players in.
Yeah or even better business is just keeping them on the bench and basically get nothing for them.

I trust Mourinhos judgement on what we need rather than Moyes or Van Gaal. He's been planning since December.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Like Blind and Mata for example? :p

stevoc

Yeah or even better business is just keeping them on the bench and basically get nothing for them.

I trust Mourinhos judgement on what we need rather than Moyes or Van Gaal. He's been planning since December.
Both would prove very useful squad players we will have a shit load of games next year with the Europa league. And i actually agree i also trust Mourinhos judgement over Moyes and Van Gaal's any day when it comes to squad building.

But LVG did a real number on United's squad in my opinion, stripped it to the fecking bone. I was hoping Mourinho would just reinforce what we currently have instead of another clear out. And who knows he might still do just that. The Mata/Blind story could be bullshit, it certainly seems like it. A player he has already sold and one of Van Gaals favourite dutch players, seem like obvious guesses to me.

Like Blind and Mata for example? :p
Well maybe but i was hoping more 1 than 2 and more Darmian or Fellaini than Blind or Mata if someone had to go. Personally hope they all stay for another year at least.

Bojan11

Both would prove very useful squad players we will have a shit load of games next year with the Europa league. And i actually agree i also trust Mourinhos judgement over Moyes and Van Gaal's any day when it comes to squad building.

But LVG did a real number on United's squad in my opinion, stripped it to the fecking bone. I was hoping Mourinho would just reinforce what we currently have instead of another clear out. And who knows he might still do just that. The Mata/Blind story could be bullshit, it certainly seems like it. A player he has already sold and one of Van Gaals favourite dutch players, seem like obvious guesses to me.

Well maybe but i was hoping more 1 than 2 and more Darmian or Fellaini than Blind or Mata if someone had to go. Personally hope they all stay for another year at least.
Do you think Mata and Blind are going to be happy being squad players? I don't think so.

It's one of the reasons Mata left Chelsea. Mourinho would have kept him if he wanted to sit on the bench.

Blind doesn't fit in as a Mourinho CB. It's alright saying he can do a squad role. Borthwick Jackson will be backup to Shaw. Mensah will most likely play more games. We going to sign another midfielder. I expect Schweinsteiger to be better next season.

I also don't think he'd be happy going from starting every game to not starting.

stevoc

Do you think Mata and Blind are going to be happy being squad players? I don't think so.

It's one of the reasons Mata left Chelsea. Mourinho would have kept him if he wanted to sit on the bench.

Blind doesn't fit in as a Mourinho CB. It's alright saying he can do a squad role. Borthwick Jackson will be backup to Shaw. Mensah will most likely play more games. We going to sign another midfielder. I expect Schweinsteiger to be better next season.

I also don't think he'd be happy going from starting every game to not starting.
I honestly don't care, they are both professionals under contract unlikely to kick up a fuss. Whether or not they prefer to play more games at another team is irrelevant to United's plans.

We have to move past this shit, we let Di Maria leave because he wasn't happy and we suffered because of that decision.

carlosp

Blind has never put up a fuss at being a squad player since he plays in what ever position the manager feels he needs Blind so saying he won't like being a squad player in mind boggling.

He has played LCB, LB, LCM and LM and people say he isn't a squad player. :lol::wenger:

Bojan11

Blind has never put up a fuss at being a squad player since he plays in what ever position the manager feels he needs Blind so saying he won't like being a squad player in mind boggling.

He has played LCB, LB, LCM and LM and people say he isn't a squad player. :lol::wenger:
How is he a squad player when he has been virtually starting every game? Versatile player, yeah. But he's been a regular starter the last two seasons.

Everyone used to say the same about Hernandez never putting up a fuss. Once Fergie left he started moaning.

Going from being a regular to squad player doesn't work for some players.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

Since when did being versatile and following manager's orders make you a squad player? He's started pretty much every game for us this season in one position - left centre back.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Hi mate. Question is who are those 2 players?! We need incomings who can dramatically impact the 1st XI and in positions that make biggest impact: centre back and no 10/wide right are two such positions.

There is little point getting rid of the likes of Valencia and Yiung right now, they are experienced squad players who are very good fall back options for injuries and rotations.

So that leaves the LVG 1st XI. I actually really like Blind, after Martial he is my fab player, and I think he can develop even more under Mourinho, point is case, Barcelona are rumoured to be interested in him. so I'd be sad to see him leave.

But Mata, as nice a chap as he seems to be I don't think is good enough. Else he'd still be at Chelsea, have made a far bigger impact in his 2.5 years or won more caps for Spain. We had huge problems creating and finishing chances under LVG and that needs to significantly change.

Replacing him with a genuine improvement seems like a plausible strategy.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Vast majority of last season he was the defacto left centre back

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I hope he quits that shite he was doing last year: shaking hands and leaving early, before the end of the match. It is unbecoming of a top class manager.

Andy Voon

I hope we will do well in the transfer market in the summer... But letting go Blind will be a mistake... he is quite versatile... but with Mou playing style, he would like players who can play in specific roles... let's see what happen in coming weeks... Bring in a sporting director will sure help MU to move forward... :)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I hope he quits that shite he was doing last year: shaking hands and leaving early, before the end of the match. It is unbecoming of a top class manager.
Oh god I forgot this.

Was the reason something daft like he wanted to let his wife know the result? Fecking stupid it was.

Marcelinho87

Yes, like Carrick has been better than Blind and Mata. Is insanity contagious?
Carrick has won more than Blind and Mata ever hope to win. The winning mentality and the experience he can offer younger players is FAR more valuable than the 6/10 performances from Mata/Blind.

IMO of course.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Carrick has won more than Blind and Mata ever hope to win. The winning mentality and the experience he can offer younger players is FAR more valuable than the 6/10 performances from Mata/Blind.

IMO of course.
Blinds average performance for United has not been 6/10.

The United

The state of our team if Mata/Blind are our best players.
The state of our team said we need to reinforce in other areas if we say they are 2 of our best players.

One having pretty much the best or 2nd best in term of attacking/goals/assist contributions past 2-3 years and the other being one of two defenders who played almost every game last season and had the best or 2nd best defensive record in the league.

Not so ridiculous to claim or laughable that they have been some of the best players lately for us if you have a moment to slow down a bit and think about it. Rationally.

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Mata I can see leaving, Blind would be a mistake imo. He's not a bad player and his versatility can be important during a season

stevoc

Hi mate. Question is who are those 2 players?! We need incomings who can dramatically impact the 1st XI and in positions that make biggest impact: centre back and no 10/wide right are two such positions.

There is little point getting rid of the likes of Valencia and Yiung right now, they are experienced squad players who are very good fall back options for injuries and rotations.

So that leaves the LVG 1st XI. I actually really like Blind, after Martial he is my fab player, and I think he can develop even more under Mourinho, point is case, Barcelona are rumoured to be interested in him. so I'd be sad to see him leave.

But Mata, as nice a chap as he seems to be I don't think is good enough. Else he'd still be at Chelsea, have made a far bigger impact in his 2.5 years or won more caps for Spain. We had huge problems creating and finishing chances under LVG and that needs to significantly change.

Replacing him with a genuine improvement seems like a plausible strategy.
Well that's the question mate. As i've been saying in other posts i think the squad is thin as it is, and i don't imagine more huge squad turnover of players coming and going is going to have a positive effect on things. We've sold/released 20+ players in the last two summer windows at some point that has to stop as it's not healthy for the team.

Personally for the first year least i hope Mourinho retains the current squad and simply just adds some quality to it and then decides on his departures next year.

Mata hasn't been as good for United as he was for Chelsea i agree, but he hasn't been as bad as some think either. Perhaps because he's mostly been played out of position on the wing which is a common theme under Van Gaal with other players, he's rarely been given a run in the position most people seem to agree is his best, the no.10 role.

Varun

Staff
He wouldn't be on massive money, he's been one of our most consistent players the past two seasons and he can play a number of positions. Doesn't make much sense to sell in my opinion.
It's not about the money. What role do we need him for? Mourinho will never use him at CB. CBJ is our cover for LB and he won't be back up in the midfield positions wither given we are adding to what we have already. So why is he required?

stevoc

It's not about the money. What role do we need him for? Mourinho will never use him at CB. CBJ is our cover for LB and he won't be back up in the midfield positions wither given we are adding to what we have already. So why is he required?
I could see Mourinho keeping him with our defensive injuries over recent years. Someone who is useful in 3-4 positions isn't a bad thing to have.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho favours Blind over Jackson at LB either.

Status
Not open for further replies.