Paul Pogba | Undergoing Medical | Helping out the Laundry Ladies

Do you want Pogba for £100 million?

• Total voters

ReDDHDevilS

@Everyone who quoted my post

Give me some time to answer :lol:

We'll see next season. I'm quite confident that a lot of people will lower their rating of Pogba once they see him play week in week out.

I stick by saying Fernandinho is more or less equally as good as Pogba
I totally agree with the first part. I firmly believe it'd be a sense of Deja vu to a lot on here!

Not with the second though. Not least because they're two different players occupying different positions with different skill sets which is not the best way to compare players.

The funny thing though, a lot on here have no idea what Pogba's best position is even though they believe he's a must buy because he's the cure for our all midfield problems. Some think he's a physically imposing central midfielder who dominates the game, some think he's one of those rare breed marauding box-to-box midfielders while others think he's at his best when played further up the pitch!

Those who have watched Pogba for just more than the Euro and YouTube clips would hope if Jose does get the man he's been chasing since his Chelsea days, he knows where he should play Pogba. Otherwise, it'd not only be a waste of an absolutely outrageous sum but also Pogba's talents.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
My best guess is that these rumors of Real Madrid appearing to join the bidding, when we are so close to securing the transfer, is a negotiating tactic to push us to close the deal on Juve's terms. You can see how effective it's been getting supporters worried.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
He would want to play for us, but that doesn't mean we're his first choice, and seemingly Real weren't in it until very late. It's a simple idea.
Real were in a while ago. They said they wanted Pogba but they couldn't afford the transfer fee. It was no secret, which is why everyone had us in pole position, because Real wanted him but couldn't afford him.
Thats not changed, they still want him, but they still can't afford him unless James or Morata leaves.

If i remember rightly, it was only reported that Real had contacted Juventus about Pogba when news was out that we were very close to agreeing a deal. Apparently Zidane contacted Pogba directly, and we can only speculate that it was to ask him to stay at Juve until Real can come back for him at a later date

JohnnyFive

Love the player and would be happy to spend 100m + on him but this is getting ridiculous. At this point I would give Juve and the agent a deadline or drop out entirely. Juve and Raiola will come crying back to United once they realize how Real do business. No way are they willing to pay what we are to sign the player. Again, I would love to have the Pogba here but we all know he wants Madrid anyway so whatever. I have 100% faith that Mourinho can get someone in to do the job.

Bestie07

My best guess is that these rumors of Real Madrid appearing to join the bidding, when we are so close to securing the transfer, is a negotiating tactic to push us to close the deal on Juve's terms. You can see how effective it's been getting supporters worried.
Rumors are originating directly from Zidane's quotes, there has been no leak from any Italian source.

RedStarUnited

I think we're desperate for quality this time around. And Pogba is a bit of a one of kind. He does possess more varied qualities and attributes than any midfielder in the world right now.
Doesnt change the fact that he would still not want to come. Any other manager id agree with you but with Jose who has experienced first hand just a few months ago on what happens when a team doesnt want to play for you. He would back out the deal and go for some else and change his plans.

God i hate how we have literally no one in the UK to tell our side of things in these negotiations. Everything thats coming out is from France and Italy - all the English journalists have no clue whats going on in the biggest transfer in the history of English football.

Bestie07

Doesnt change the fact that he would still not want to come. Any other manager id agree with you but with Jose who has experienced first hand just a few months ago on what happens when a team doesnt want to play for you. He would back out the deal and go for some else and change his plans.

God i hate how we have literally no one in the UK to tell our side of things in these negotiations. Everything thats coming out is from France and Italy - all the English journalists have no clue whats going on in the biggest transfer in the history of English football.
Even Castles is quiet on this one.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I never said he won't. But Real won't be able to afford his buying price on the first couple of years of his contract with us that's for sure. We aren't complete fools.
Never. Ever. Ever underestimate how foolish the MUFC board (and management) can be. :lol:

In the last 3 years:
1, replaced a Galactico class manager (Fergie) with Moyes and gave him a 6 year contract. Jose (the ideal replacement) was available but, they thought it would be better to hire a manager who has never won a trophy in his life.
2, got rid of our entire (experienced) defensive line, in a single transfer window.
3, bought Fellaini for above his release clause
4, kept faith with Moyes even after he'd basically given up on our entire team and the season. And only sacked him once the season was completely wrecked.
5, bought Di Maria - British Transfer Record. The only player listed in the World FIFA XI, who was playing in the EPL. Arguably Madrid's best player. MOTM in their final game (CL Final). We did not know how/where to play him and sold him within 12 months, for a significant loss.
6, attempted to sell DDG (our best player for many years) - they only failed because of Madrid's mess-up.
7, LVG was allowed to implement his non-goal scoring philosophy, even though the fans/media were getting on his back. He was even booed. The OT fans chanted "attack attack attack". He was eventually sacked, but was given approximately half a season to rectify the boring football which he had implemented...but he failed to change.

I'm sure there other errors in judgement, but it would not shock me if they sold Pogba a few years later for a cut price deal, to our rivals.

IhabX7

Real were in a while ago. They said they wanted Pogba but they couldn't afford the transfer fee. It was no secret, which is why everyone had us in pole position, because Real wanted him but couldn't afford him.
Thats not changed, they still want him, but they still can't afford him unless James or Morata leaves.
And this is exactly why nothing is happening right now. If Real don't cough up the money or manage to convince Pogba to stay for another year at Juve then we're definitely getting him.

SirAF

Ageist
Never. Ever. Ever underestimate how foolish the MUFC board (and management) can be. :lol:

In the last 3 years:
1, replaced a Galactico class manager (Fergie) with Moyes and gave him a 6 year contract. Jose (the ideal replacement) was available but, they thought it would be better to hire a manager who has never won a trophy in his life.
2, got rid of our entire (experienced) defensive line, in a single transfer window.
4, kept faith with Moyes even after he'd basically given up on our entire team and the season. And only sacked him once the season was completely wrecked.
5, bought Di Maria - British Transfer Record. The only player listed in the World FIFA XI, who was playing in the EPL. Arguably Madrid's best player. MOTM in their final game (CL Final). We did not know how/where to play him and sold him within 12 months, for a significant loss.
6, attempted to sell DDG (our best player for many years) - they only failed because of Madrid's mess-up.
7, LVG was allowed to implement his non-goal scoring philosophy, even though the fans/media were getting on his back. He was even booed. The OT fans chanted "attack attack attack". He was eventually sacked, but was given approximately half a season to rectify the boring football which he had implemented...but he failed to change.

I'm sure there other errors in judgement, but it would not shock me if they sold Pogba a few years later for a cut price deal, to our rivals.
To be fair, that is pretty shocking when you see it out in writing!

Shimo

Credible source or not, can anyone come up with one reason (assuming they match the money on offer) why he wouldn't prefer to play CL football under the current CL champions, managed by a French legend?
Depends - if you are firmly in the camp of Real Madrid are the be all end all - and more importantly Pogba feels the same, then there is no possible reason why'd he'd choose us over them.

However, there definitely are reasons based on what he is thinking for his future, his image - just his mindset over several topics.

1) Going to Madrid means competing with 2 top CM for a starting spot in Kroos and Modric - so he might think it is better for him to establish himself as a player that has no peer and at United right now he'd have that

2) Does he have a dream like Ronaldo did but, that his is to play at United - a place he has friends and a club he has long admired? Possible

3) Even if he sees Madrid as the end goal, maybe he is being advised that should he come to United - sign a 300k deal now, in 2, 3, 5 years whatever - he can sign a 500k/week deal with them to go into his prime years. Should he sign right now with them, maybe he does succeed but, his subsquent contract ups won't get him anywhere near if he did a jump to them later.

4) Playing for Mourinho - Zidane is footballing great but, anyone that knows anything about Real is that even the best managers don't stay around much. Zidane has not proven himself as a manager and there is every possibility that he could even be gone as early as December. With Mou - probably at least get 2-3 years if not longer under a proven coach that can really up his game.

5) CL yes that's a draw but, again depends on his mindset - thinking what if I help United first to win Europa this season, be integral to either winning the league or at least being up there. At Real he's got Bale and Ronaldo ahead of him in terms of the people leading the charge to winning trophies. At United he could be seen as the absolute main guy. Then the following season having lead United back to CL - is the headline name in the competition.

There is no doubt that Real offer a lot but, to me it's not a clear cut - soon as they come that's the only choice for a player, it depends on what they are thinking/looking for in their career/life.

IhabX7

In the last 3 years:

I agree that the board can be complete muppets, the Herrera shambles come to mind every time this is mentioned. But we aren't were we are in world football by chance mate, there are things we're doing right.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!

In the last 3 years:

You are right Sunama, and there are more!

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
And this is exactly why nothing is happening right now. If Real don't cough up the money or manage to convince Pogba to stay for another year at Juve then we're definitely getting him.
It wouldn't be another year though. Real are facing a possible transfer ban which means by the time they go back for him, if he hasn't signed a new contract at Juve, he'd be approaching the end of his contract, and would be available for peanuts, which is exactly what Real would want in all honesty

0161_UNITED

Credible source or not, can anyone come up with one reason (assuming they match the money on offer) why he wouldn't prefer to play CL football under the current CL champions, managed by a French legend?
I'll bite, Pogue.

First, because, United fans are special in that we overrate the impact, because of Sir Alex, of a manager to such extraordinary lengths that some forget just how good a manager like Mourinho actually is. Many managers, like Zidane IMO, can and have accomplished many things purely through the quality of the players at their disposal. I firmly believe Mourinho is a better manager than Zidane. I don't think Mourinho is perfect, a God, or better than Sir Alex. But I do think he's better than Zidane.

Second, if Pogba comes back to United, he'd be coming back to a place he knows. He knows the passion of the fans, what MUFC means to Manchester, and exactly how large his impact could be on this team. It's not the unknown of the circus that is Madrid, competing with Ronaldo, Bale and worrying about every single flavour of the month player of the moment in every transfer window. It's Manchester United. He'd have a chance to work with Mourinho and make history here. He could be looking over his shoulder every window at Real and Zidane could be gone 10 matches into next season.

RedStarUnited

Or its done and we are just playing it cool for now? If it is done the only anxious people is us fans who dont know.

Sigma

I totally agree with the first part. I firmly believe it'd be a sense of Deja vu to a lot on here!

Not with the second though. Not least because they're two different players occupying different positions with different skill sets which is not the best way to compare players.

The funny thing though, a lot on here have no idea what Pogba's best position is even though they believe he's a must buy because he's the cure for our all midfield problems. Some think he's a physically imposing central midfielder who dominates the game, some think he's one of those rare breed marauding box-to-box midfielders while others think he's at his best when played further up the pitch!

Those who have watched Pogba for just more than the Euro and YouTube clips would hope if Jose does get the man he's been chasing since his Chelsea days, he knows where he should play Pogba. Otherwise, it'd not only be a waste of an absolutely outrageous sum but also Pogba's talents.
Good post

I completely agree with you, of course they are different players and it was possibly my fault but the original post was that I thought there are many midfielders (not really thinking about role in the team) better than him.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I agree that the board can be complete muppets, the Herrera shambles come to mind every time this is mentioned. But we aren't were we are in world football by chance mate, there are things we're doing right.
Right now we are nowhere in world football and that's why Mourinho is here now because he's entrusted to, hopefully, get us there again.

worldinmotion66

This is the most logical explanation I feel. It would do Real Madrid no favours to have their interest made public in the Spanish press, if they know that the fee is beyond them and they will likely lose out. However, my only concern would be their losing out on Andre Gomes, as it could force their hand to move on a player (James, Morata) to subsidize a deal for Pogba (if they feel that the central midfield needs strength or depth, and they aren't impressed by other potential targets).

Skywarden

Jose said he only let Mata go cos he said he didnt want to stay at Chelsea. With that in mind, and what happened last season, does anyone really think Jose will want a player that doesnt want to come? Let alone pay a huge fee for him?
Absolutely not. José isn't blind or oblivious to these matas, he will turn his back and aim for the next midfield target in line the moment he sense cold feet from Pogba.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Honestly thought after La Stampa update we'd hear more today.

Was that deal agreed report nonsense like the rest of this thread?

mu4c_20le

Surely you can see the business side of this? There is a clause in his contract about making top 4, and he was let go as soon as it was mathematically impossible. There was no guarantee that we would have improved at all had we brought in a temporary manager, most likely would have been Giggs anyway.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
United: "Hey Paul, fancy coming back to play for us? We'll make you star of the team and you're guaranteed a whole shit ton of money and a starting place every game"
Pogba: "Yeah sounds awesome mate, i'm well up for that... just gonna let you know tho, i'm gonna have to hold the deal up for a while just incase Real Madrid want me. You good with that?"
United: "That won't be a problem lad, we'll just go ahead and get everything sorted with Juve anyway, you know, just incase the don't bother"
This is exactly what Woodward would do. :lol:

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Honestly thought after La Stampa update we'd hear more today.

Was that deal agreed report nonsense like the rest of this thread?
Yep. Also those weekend reports about deal being done tuesday or wednesday at the latest... Just shows how much bs is being chatted.