Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

Bit like Darwin Nunez?

And what were Darwin’s numbers in his season before going to the dippers?

The levels of hype with this now are just daft.

Fans ‘not concerned whether he’s ready’ to be Utd’s lead CF after scoring 9 goals in Serie A and nothing else…

It’s absolutely batshit and I genuinely worry for the kid walking into a situation like that.
What hype? I would say most of this thread is people concerned about his readiness for the PL.

MonkeysMagic

If we need a bring a striker in (we all agree that we do) I can't see how we are going to get any value in the market by pulling off a signing for €30-40m that is going to get us 20-25 goals.

I dont believe paying €70-80m for Hojlund makes any sense but it's a necessity and our scouts are awful are unearthing the kind of gems in the transfer market that would avoid this level of payout. We just have to take it on the chin and hope that he is a success because the strikers that are a surething we cant get!

mu4c_20le

He’s scored more than 9 goals though at club level and is running at a goal per game internationally. Him, Marcus and Martial will share the striker role. I’m not concerned as Ten Hag will manage him very well and is pushing the club to sign him as he can see how he fits in.
Goals against Finland and Kazakhstan. ETH is probably pushing because he is desperate for a striker now. Kane was his first choice.

crossy1686

career ending
I agree with a previous poster that he is like this years Antony. Solid player, probably worth £35-40m, but we are getting taken to the cleaners and will end up paying twice his value. There will then be a lot more expectation and pressure on the player to hit the ground running and immediately step up.
Yep, at that valuation he’s destined to fail. We should go for a stop gap this season, Toney, Watkins, even Lukaku on loan for one year just to get to next summer. I think every United fan would understand and be patient with the situation as long as we go big next year on forwards. Feels like we’re setting ourselves up at the moment.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Common problem in Nigeria that they lie about their ages to get European visas. I think there’s a chance he’s older than he actually is, strikers don’t usually come good until they’re over 26.
So you have nothing other than his nationality?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I agree with a previous poster that he is like this years Antony. Solid player, probably worth £35-40m, but we are getting taken to the cleaners and will end up paying twice his value. There will then be a lot more expectation and pressure on the player to hit the ground running and immediately step up.
That’s on fans to temper their expectations

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
And that he doesn’t look 24 and he’s a lot better than strikers his age statistically are. I have nothing to go on but a hunch.
Its highly unlikely he faked his age for a visa, its more of a tinfoil hat theory with nothing but anecdotal evidence.

JPRouve

Scout
:lol: Digging what?
You started with a prejudiced claim and followed it by a stupid one. Osimhen doesn't look older than his age and every above average player stats aren't in line with the average stats of their age class it's kind of a why they are above average or elite.

Dempsey19

Common problem in Nigeria that they lie about their ages to get European visas. I think there’s a chance he’s older than he actually is, strikers don’t usually come good until they’re over 26.
Reading this gave me flashbacks of 17 year old Joseph Minala signing for Lazio. The dude looked at least 50.

Investigation was done and all was legit. He's 26 now and playing in the Latvian league.

JPRouve

Scout
Reading this gave me flashbacks of 17 year old Joseph Minala signing for Lazio. The dude looked at least 50.

Investigation was done and all was legit. He's 26 now and playing in the Latvian league.
At least Minala looked old, which isn't the case for Osimhen.

crossy1686

career ending

Yeah that bloke could have passed for 45 easily. There’s no way he was getting ID at the off licence.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
That’s on fans to temper their expectations
Partially, yes. But equally, when the club blows a large chunk of its transfer budget on a player, there has to be some expectation that the play is going to be able to make an impact. I havent been impressed at all by Antony this season, but if we had got him for £30-40m then I would probably have a more positive opinion. Dan James never set the world alight, but he didnt cost much and we ended up making a profit, whereas the likes of Sancho and Martial came in for big fees and so are expected to contribute more.

Laurencio

With Onana done, this one will be next probably. Kind of refreshing that we are getting deals done for once.

Laurencio

For emptying his own pockets and signing us players out of the goodness of his heart. Tearing up here pal.
:lol: How kind of him. Clearly the best thing that has ever happened the club that lad. Who would have thought a hard working salt of the earth guy like him would end up a wealthy billionaire who is this charitable! It makes your heart sing, doesn't it?

Eddy_JukeZ

I'd prefer Ferguson over him, but I do think Hojlund has traits that could suit us extremely well if he develops well.

But both are a fairly high risk.

pastyfool

From your second link:

In January 2023, 32 Cameroonian players in the country’s under-17 team failed MRI age testing in the build up to qualification games for the 2023 Africa U-17 Cup of Nations. The tests had been requested by the president of Fecafoot, Samuel Eto’o.

That's insane.

———

I found this one quite funny:

One of the best known examples of a player falsifying documentations is Cameroon's international football defender Tobie Mimboe* who held several documents during the course of his career that indicated he became younger as time went by.

*He is best remembered for his 'Peter Pan' birth certificates. At the 1996 African Cup of Nations he would have been 31 had he used the same documents that he had used in South America which indicated he was born in 1964. When he joined Gençlerbirliği after that tournament, his documents revealed him to be in his twenties (30 June 1974). At the 1998 African Cup of Nations he gave the date of birth as 30 June 1970.

Bojan Djordjic

Gabriel Jesus - 11 in 33 last season
Eddie Nketiah - 9 in 39 last season
Darwin Nunez - 15 in 42 last season
Cody Gakpo - 7 in 26 last season
Son Heung-Min - 14 in 47 last season
Evan Ferguson - 10 in 25 last season (everyones new darling on here)
Aleksander Isak - 10 in 27 last season

I could go on and on
Tbh I think this is understating Hojlund's performance as his 9 goal tally was for Serie A alone. This looks like you're comparing this against the EPL players' all competition tallies.

Zed is not dead

Partially, yes. But equally, when the club blows a large chunk of its transfer budget on a player, there has to be some expectation that the play is going to be able to make an impact. I havent been impressed at all by Antony this season, but if we had got him for £30-40m then I would probably have a more positive opinion. Dan James never set the world alight, but he didnt cost much and we ended up making a profit, whereas the likes of Sancho and Martial came in for big fees and so are expected to contribute more.
I’d agree if the Caf didn’t shite on Dan James after two games.

I’ve read in the Amrabat thread posts along the lines of : « why do we keep paying small sums for shite mediocre players instead of splashing for real class players ».

Truth is no matter the cost of the player, this place will always moan.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If no one whom we need is available; that does not make it right to go for something we don’t need.
Yeah we don’t need talented strikers with huge potential.

Do not want.

dinostar77

Its the price thats bothering people right? Too much for a 20 year old?

I recall what fergie used to say, "Utd dont buy superstars, they make them".

Lots of young players are a risk, sure things are few and far between. Cristiano was a risk, martial was a risk. Sometimes they work sometimes they dont.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Hilarious people criticising what we’re potentially paying, surely we trust and back the manager? If he thinks he’s right and worth whatever we end up agreeing then I’m fully behind it!

A-man

Yeah we don’t need talented strikers with huge potential.

Do not want.
We need a goal scorer. We are not in a position where we can buy multiple Antonies and hope one turn our world class unfortunately.

A-man

Hilarious people criticising what we’re potentially paying, surely we trust and back the manager? If he thinks he’s right and worth whatever we end up agreeing then I’m fully behind it!
People expressing their own opinions is a little bit the point with forums like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.