RAWK Goes into Meltdown 2014/2015 - The "We go again" Edition

C'est Moi Cantona

Yeah, a decent chance too. A good win against Ludo and they'll likely just need a home draw against Basel.

Same as City - they could both go through with some shit total like 7 points.
Away at Ludogorets is not going to be easy, especially as they will need to go all out for the win.

Personally hope Liverpool get second rather than dropping in the Europa, as the (unlikely) danger of them winning it and getting CL, and us missing out by finishing in 4th would be too much to take.

acnumber9

Yeah, a decent chance too. A good win against Ludo and they'll likely just need a home draw against Basel.

They need to win both games. A draw against Basel an they're out. As far as I know they'll need a two goal win at that.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

A home draw against Basel won't be enough. Both will have 7 points and Basel will go through on head-to-head.

montpelier

They need to win both games. A draw against Basel an they're out. As far as I know they'll need a two goal win at that.
Except if Basel lose to Madrid as expected, LFC beating Basle will be enough, even if LFC lose to Ludo. Unless Ludo get someting off Real (possibly)

I'm confused now, though.

Sir A1ex

Oh yeah, you're right actually. Well partly... if they beat Basel, then the margin probably won't matter, presuming they've get something off Ludo and Madrid have beaten Basel.

acnumber9

Except if Basel lose to Madrid as expected, LFC beating Basle will be enough, even if LFC lose to Ludo. Unless Ludo get someting off Real (possibly)

I'm confused now, though.
Not really. Is it head to head or goal difference? Either way that scenario doesn't guarantee tey go through. They have four goals to catch up and Basel beat them.

The Man Himself

Away at Ludogorets is not going to be easy, especially as they will need to go all out for the win.

Personally hope Liverpool get second rather than dropping in the Europa, as the (unlikely) danger of them winning it and getting CL, and us missing out by finishing in 4th would be too much to take.
Nope, Europa League winner spot for CL doesn't come in way of 4th place. In that case PL will have 5 teams.Read format rule changes in wiki link below:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_UEFA_Champions_League

brian017

Not really. Is it head to head or goal difference? Either way that scenario doesn't guarantee tey go through. They have four goals to catch up and Basel beat them.
Head-to-head first. So they need to win 1-0 to go through on GD or if Basel score, a win by 2 or more. A one goal with Basel scoring, and they're out on away goals (assuming Real beat Basel and they beat Ludo)

EDIT: Actually I think I may have mis-calculated :lol: I confused myself

acnumber9

Head-to-head first. So they need to win 1-0 to go through on GD or if Basel score, a win by 2 or more. A one goal with Basel scoring, and they're out on away goals (assuming Real beat Basel and they beat Ludo)
Only if there's a 5 goal swing in the game before they play each other. Basel boosted their goal difference nicely tonight. Real Madrid did Liverpool a favour by taking it easy.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Courtesy of twitter: Can't believe we played Kolo, Lucas AND Borini at the Bernabeu and still got out-bantered by Arsenal. Fair play to 'em

:lol:

montpelier

They don't have to beat Ludo to get level on points with Basel if they beat Basel because they get the points for beating Basel. It might leave 3 teams on 6pts though, which'll be fun.

Sir A1ex

That's not right - if they beat Basel and Ludo, and Real beat Basel, then they're 3 points ahead of Basel.

The Man Himself

90% sure that they've changed the rules so that there's no way any country can have more than 4.

I suspect that they would potentially even take it off 3rd if English clubs won both, but I'm not sure.
Some of you should read wiki and official format rules than simply guessing. The maximum limit for top 3 coefficient nations is increased to 5 starting next season.

They have done this Europa format change to make teams take it more seriously thus teams fielding strong teams and thus helping revenue.

Top 3 coefficient nations will retain their usual 4 spots if EL winner finishes outside top 4 and will have this additional spot. The 4th spot of league will go away in the unlikely scenario where CL winner and EL winner are from same country and both finish outside top 4 in domestic season.

In short, Nothing to worry on this front.

montpelier

Right all that's gotten too complicated for me, I'm now thinking UEFA ought to say that Liverpool group's been far too shite to justify anyone other than Real qualifying from it. Or they could have a lucky dip, which the lucky dippers would probably win, so that's a bad idea as well.

Anyway, what can 16th Century philosophy from the French Renaissance tell us....

Proud of these boys tonight, <---- not this bit

"There are some defeats more triumphant than victories." - Michel de Montaigne

and this isn't MdM either

excellent performance from the players and especially the manager. the closest we've come to midfield solidity, and defensive security, that made madrid look average, and ronaldo look like a championship player. a single moment of magic was the difference - other than that, we were by far the better side.

Dumbat12

Honestly, I haven't seen so many people being happy about the loss of their team, and make it like they played magnificently, but only luck wasn't on their side. Holy shit, Madrid had like 30 shots and Liverpool only 4 and neither one of Liverpool's shots threatened Casillas.

On another day this match could have easily ended with a 5-0.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
It's similar to some of the posts on here after we lost to City. They could have had 2 pens.
Give the scouse a little credit for this. I'm sure they'll be positive.

Dumbat12

It's similar to some of the posts on here after we lost to City. They could have had 2 pens.
Give the scouse a little credit for this. I'm sure they'll be positive.
We were with 10 men for the most part though. And we actually threatened City even with 10 men while Liverpool didn't have a single decent shot against Madrid.

Anyway, I was not happy with our loss against City, but you could argue that Smalling cost us.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Meanwhile at Sparta RAWK, every member of the board is posting stuff like: 'Shame on those heretics who gave us no chance. Viva Brenitez.'

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
I see Mcnair has been called up by Northern Ireland.

I wonder if that would be the case if he'd played 2-3 first team games at someone like West Brom or Burnley?
Northern Ireland well known for their incredible strength in defence.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That would indicate he's a Burnley level defender wouldn't it?

Not someone who's signed professional terms and impressed in the first team of a club like Manchester United.

Tarrou

I wonder if they can follow up Tuesday with another brilliant Brentonesque 1-0 defeat.

NoPace

There seems to be a 20 year old Liverpool defender in the squad who first got capped after a few games on loan for Barnsley. Oliver Norwood has 20 caps for them already!