RAWK Goes into Meltdown 2014/2015 - The "We go again" Edition

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
A collective noun such as 'team' can be singular or plural so are/is can be interchangeable to some extent. For example, it would be acceptable to say 'Manchester United are a team that play in England'. Similarly, the phraseology on the Liverpool poster is acceptable.
*Agrees*

Still cringeworthy though.

nimic

something nice
Scout
True, but I still think from an etymological standpoint it's grammatically incorrect. I'm pretty sure every other language, at least European language, would use the third-person singular when it comes to team. For example, "L'equipe est ...", not "L'equipe sont ... ". Then again, I could be completely and utterly wrong.

Either way, the way it's written on the poster doesn't quite read right.
That sentence is meaningless, though. I assure you, it is perfectly grammatical to refer to team either as "it is" or "they are", since it is a collective noun. Whether it used to be the case or not is irrelevant, but I suspect it did.

Deleted member 78215

That sentence is meaningless, though. I assure you, it is perfectly grammatical to refer to team either as "it is" or "they are", since it is a collective noun. Whether it used to be the case or not is irrelevant, but I suspect it did.
Pfft, tell that to a linguist! Which I'm not, by the way. But you can't ignore the origins of the English language. Normative grammatical usage doesn't make it technically correct. Our language is a grand melange and amalgamation of other European languages, all of which use team in a third-person singular sense. Hence, and I do mean technically, surely its grammatical context applies to the English language, too.

Another grammatical error that gets me: when people use plural verb conjugations after "none". Like, "None of them were good." It should be, "None of them was good." None = not one = singular.

Anyway, that Liverpool poster sucks!

nimic

something nice
Scout
Pfft, tell that to a linguist! Which I'm not, by the way. But you can't ignore the origins of the English language. Normative grammatical usage doesn't make it technically correct.

Another grammatical error that gets me: when people use plural verb conjugations after "none". Like, "None of them were good." It should be, "None of them was good." None = not one = singular.
Here's the thing, though: it is technically correct. It is all kinds of correct. I have at least two grammar books that will tell me about how collective nouns can be considered both singular and plural. There is no controversy here.

Deleted member 78215

Here's the thing, though: it is technically correct. It is all kinds of correct. I have at least two grammar books that will tell me about how collective nouns can be considered both singular and plural. There is no controversy here.
Meh, stupid English language subverting its etymological origins ...

Deleted member 78215

I'm not sure where you got the idea that this is different from its etymological origins. Just because it sounds funny to you doesn't mean it isn't correct, and hasn't always been correct ;)
No, I'm just saying that the languages that, kind of, 'make up' the English language use team in a singular sense, so I presumed it was technically correct to do so in English. I stand corrected. Lo, the thread has been derailed. I shall say no more.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
Hey please stop. I never thought I'd live to see the day a RAWK Meltdown thread was derailed by an argument over grammar. We need delusional quotes. Start a conversation to continue your discussion.

Deleted member 78215

Hey, please stop. I never thought I'd live to see the day a RAWK Meltdown thread was derailed by an argument over grammar. We need delusional quotes. Start a conversation to continue your discussion.
Fixed.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm trying to hard to understand that but I failed. Could someone try to summarise how that argument works?
I think he means that in some roundabout way, the money Arsenal paid for Sanchez to Barca went toward Barca buying Suarez, denying Arsenal the opportunity to have Suarez, despite "spending" 35m.

Idiots like the rest of us would just say Arsenal have got themselves a fantastic player in Sanchez for 35m but we're not the hallowed ones chosen to support a great club like Liverpool and blessed to mutter "YAWN" at the end of every sentence aren't we?

crossy1686

career ending
Quote taken from their Facebook page:

Other clubs buy class players & make them average as liverpool buys average players and makes them class, thats the difference. Suaraz +Sturridge= SAS
Lallana+ORIGI+Lambert= LOL

mic.m

I hate these cringeworthy farewell letters from players who
manage to engineere a move somwhere else but then spout
bollock about pride, fans, etc
... Please Luis, give me a break.
That being said, you're a boss player, I enjoyed watching you
wear the only football shirt that matters,
especially live. Thanx for
the good times and brilliant football.
I thought you said he loved the club and it's people. What has changed?

mic.m

On Stevie G and hope for next season
Poor guy...title slipping through his hands, world cup humiliation , Suarez left. The guy just can`t catch a break.Hopefully this new season there is something in the store for him to make this wheel of fortune turn around.Last time we won CL was in a season after a big name strikerleft us...food for thought.
Well the last time a big name striker left we had the shittest league season in memory...

Truedevil

United fans have not quite realised they are not fishing in that pond anymore. Vanja Milinković, Ander Herrera & Luke Shaw are all going to be good signings but none of them are proven world class at the moment. Those players don't want to spend a season (maybe more) without European football. United being a top club doesn´t even come into it because they have offers from the likes of Real, Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Juventus etc who all offer European Football, similar wages and that same "signing for one of the top clubs in the world" feeling.
There's so much wrong in this post, i don't even know where to start

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
The biggest fault i could find was Liverpool.
Oh, and the romantic tune that money can't buy quality players into a team that aren't in europe.

None of our signings are proven and recognized world class players (top bracket stuff).
Players of the top ilk will most likely get offers from big clubs with great history, good wage offers and champions league football.

That said, claiming it is impossible is daft.

GloryHunter07

Wierdo

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
SAF: Still manager of Manchester United, despite his controversial signings of Juan Mata and...erm...Vernon:

Vernon, Cantona, RVP, Ruud van Nistelroy, Mata - also the talented youngsters he bought alot of them cost over 20 million - he paid 20 mill for Anderson, hardly bargains high potential youngsters

Parry Gallister

This is abridged - the rest can stay on RAWK where it bloody well belongs.

April 24, 2014, 03:05:06 PM Why the neutrals are rooting for Liverpool
You must have noticed it, especially if you live outside Liverpool. It’s impossible not to. Every football supporter you know who doesn’t have his own dog in the race wants the Reds to win the Title. This isn’t just a slight preference either. It can come with a zeal which is strange in a world where allegiance to the crest demands you speak cautiously or grudgingly before offering a compliment to someone else’s colours. But that’s what is happening. The neutrals want Liverpool to win. Not the referees – as the demented Mourinho is now saying – but the fans.

A lot of you will already be saying ‘who cares?’ Football is so tribal that, in truth, it’s often gratifying to be feared, envied and even hated. I certainly look forward to the day when people are pig-sick of us lifting yet another trophy in yet another one-horse title race or predictably one-sided cup final. But in the meantime I like the acclaim. We deserve it too.

For, let’s be honest, there’s another side to being a footy supporter (we’re complex, subtle and multi-dimensional figures, us fans!) that warms to third-party appreciation. I’ll never forget in 1994 overhearing a group of Geordies on a train leaving Lime Street soon after they’d seen the standing Kop for the last time. They were marvelling to each other about that final ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ when, in response to the away supporters’ chant, we’d hoisted the flags and scarves a few minutes before the end and given them a last, cherished, memory of the anthem. These Geordies had loved it – and I’d loved hearing them. I recall, too, a good friend, a Man United fan since boyhood, telling me after we’d watched Johnny Barnes tearing his team apart at Old Trafford in 1990, that our man was better than Best. The same feeling – tribute was being paid and it was nice to receive it.

We like that don’t we? The sincere, freely-given compliment, the tone of affection, respect or awe when your club is mentioned. Imagine if you were a Chelsea fan. You’d never hear it. That’s why I like it right now, in this month of April, when yet another mate takes the claret and blue or lilywhite scales from his eyes, forgets the spite and drops the sarcasm for a moment, and says “Christ, I really hope Liverpool do it.” The neutrals are now on our side folks and there’s nothing we can do about it....

Show me a mate you know who likes football and doesn’t want to see Gerrard get his medal? I’ll show you someone who doesn’t love life enough!

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
More nonsense from RAWK:

If by battling for 4th for the Mancs you mean constantly hoping other sides lose so you can gain on them for the 4th spot, then i'd agree with you.
you're overpaying because you're desperate
Very good signings so far? 30 million on a 18 year old left back way over priced don't care how good he is and Herrera? Herrwho?
prickhead looked quite happy to win 3rd place
Someone finally gets it:

Some of our fans are moany, whiny, embarrassing bastards. The mancs must been laughing their heads of reading this thread. It's only going to get worse next week when Van Gaal sets about trying to rebuild the Utd squad.