Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Jardel didn't succeed at bolton and ended up back at beira-mar, though admittedly i didn't know of his drug issues. Also, his record for Galatasaray is much better than i remembered.
He was a complete wreck already when he was released before joining Bolton. He scored over a goal per game before that even at Galatasaray (where he was dispatched because of his drug issues).

He scored a few of these, pretty good first touch eh?

A true legend, lacked brains off the field. He recently became a politician in Brazil before being found out again completely high in multiple interviews. Shame really. When you had a cross in the area you felt like you had gained a penalty kick, because Mario was there.

acnumber9

His movement in the box is miles better than Zlatan's. I really liked his performance.
I thought that was the best part of his game. He wasn't afraid to get into the 6 yard box which opens up the space around the penalty spot for others. Our strikers don't do enough of that.

TsuWave

He was a complete wreck already when he was released before joining Bolton. He scored over a goal per game before that even at Galatasaray (where he was dispatched because of his drug issues).

He scored a few of these, pretty good first touch eh?

A true legend, lacked brains off the field. He recently became a politician in Brazil before being found out again completely high in multiple interviews. Shame really. When you had a cross in the area you felt like you had gained a penalty kick, because Mario was there.
I know Jardel well, killer instinct, apex predator, i watched him weekly (VIVA O GLORIOSO BENFICA), still i didn't/don't rate him. but i don't want to derail the thread further. good stuff.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Scoring in every other game is absolutely fine, especially when you are at Everton and the service that you get might not be at the same level it's eventually going to end up being at at United. If he can score in 20-22 games a season, and he can, he would be absolutely lethal here and it would probably win us several titles during his entire spell at United.

He's a target man first and foremost. Our overall play is not going to hugely benefit from him being here, his link up play and playmaking abilites are not at Zlatan's level nor they will ever be IMO but we have signed him for his finishing and in that area he will almost certainly quickly become our best option.
He's said himself he's not a target man and has never been his natural game.

AdNani

Thats damning from Mourinho. Pretty much says Lukaku was 2nd choice.
We paid more money go lukaku than what Madrid were asking for Morata, strange for a second choice...

ash_86

I think Lukaku played well. More than once i saw him take 2-3 defenders with him yesterday, opening up space for Martial and others to get a free shot. Martial/Mkhi/Mata/Rash can utilize this space.

Web of Bissaka

My main concern is not his first touch as much as his lack of link up play in closed spaces. Now I know he has his moments now and then (before someone pops up with a video of some one-touch assists), but it's simply not good enough for our play. The counter-argument usually is 'who cares if he scores 20+ goals every season?' but will he at United? How many times have Everton had to break down a parked bus of a defence? We had Zlatan linking up play beautifully last season, laying it off consistently and accurately to runners around him, and yet we failed to convert most of those. How many of those chances will Lukaku create, assuming the others will finish? He is infamous for not being able to hold up the ball despite being a target man (evidence in case today, too) - how will he manage to do it when he's surrounded by three of the oppo defenders and needs to place the perfect ball to find Mkhi's run into the box?

I don't have high expectations from him this season. He might be a PL proven scorer, but there's a lot of learning and adapting to do. I hope Mkhi, Martial and Pogba step up their numbers to compensate for Zlatan because honestly, I think we're worse off than we were last season without Zlatan.
Yeah, another potential weakness of Lukaku.. which I'm still not sure, based from just one game with us.

Assuming that'll be clearer the more games he played with us, that can be an issue, but I'm not that worried though.

a) He can improve this.. well actually he showed Jose and his teammates from that one game, his willingness to pass and lay it off to others.

b) Even if not an effective hold-up play and creating chances for others... he compensate that by attracting more players on to him, means more spaces for our other players, because of one of his trademark attacking pattern of scoring ~ common, lethal and effective.
EPL defenders especially should be aware of this, one-one-one or just one defender marking him, Lukaku can bully the poor guy even in tight spaces with his pace, strength and turning dribbles (depends on the ability of the defenders though, tops teams have good defenders, I mean even Blind negated him easily, then again we need him to score against the majority of EPL teams ~ the midtable and lower teams.)

Nick7

I mean I love Zlatan but do people really have that short a memory to say he was linking up beautifully consistently? Forgetting about the countless games we were exasperated about him not being involved or losing the ball?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Feels a bit weird seeing him play for us

Web of Bissaka

Okay.. his hold-up play and laying it off to team mates today plus first-touch crossfield passess are impressive.. didn't know he had that in his locker. :lol: Who was it that said he had bad first touches? Good performance.

Eddy_JukeZ

His link-up play was pretty good that half.

Played a part in that 1st goal too.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Very calm finish. Being used to Rashford's one on one misses, I thought that one was a goner. Had no problems whatsoever.

Dazzmondo

Thought he played well today. Goal was very well taken, great composure. Involved in some excellent link up play, especially with Lingard. Used his strength well. Solid

Gearbox Paddy

Wasn't really sure about us signing him and after what I've seen he's defiantly not what we need. Fair enough he's guaranteed to bag us 20+ goals next season, no doubt about it. But the amount of chances he'll miss and attacks he'll kill to get them 20 goals would break your heart.

He's got a ferocious shot on him though went close a couple of times tonight.

Wasn't really sure about us signing him and after what I've seen he's defiantly not what we need. Fair enough he's guaranteed to bag us 20+ goals next season, no doubt about it. But the amount of chances he'll miss and attacks he'll kill to get them 20 goals would break your heart.

He's got a ferocious shot on him though went close a couple of times tonight.
I hope during the season we use him as a target man only and beyond that keep him away from the build up. He should be the guy getting on the end of crosses and through balls to finish them.

Once he's in his stride he's impossible to stop.

el3mel

Great finish. I'm sure anyone of our other attackers would have shot it directly from the first touch and miss it as thousands of chances last season, but Lukaku is a goal scorers and knows exactly how to deal with these chances. Great goal.

His hold up play was very good and he's starting to link up well with other teammates more than in LA game, played a big part in the first goal with his ability to hold the ball. His first touch is decent and not as disastrous as people were claiming, decent.

He gets what we need and I'm sure of his success in Jose's system. Him, Pogba and Mikhi will be the main keys of our success next season.

Robbie Boy

But, but I thought he had the first touch of a tree and he couldn't link-up with his teammates. Just shows how much some actually saw of him before we signed him.

Jonno

Really pleased he got his first goal out of the way, he seemed relaxed and confident about it too.

Many more to come from the big man.

pghcc

Great finish. I'm sure anyone of our other attackers would have shot it directly from the first touch and miss it as thousands of chances last season, but Lukaku is a goal scorers and knows exactly how to deal with these chances. Great goal.
"Rad first touch"

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He's been playing in the league since 2011 chap.

See all them memes on Facebook, theres a reason for that because he's brutal.
He's scored the second-highest number of goals in the league since then, chap.

I also think our scouting department is a little more sophisticated than seeing what memes are going around on Facebook

Last edited:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

This is actually a step below judging him off the back of Football manager.

TsuWave

But, but I thought he had the first touch of a tree and he couldn't link-up with his teammates. Just shows how much some actually saw of him before we signed him.
lukaku has been playing in this league for a while. this was just a preseason match.

Kapardin

Seeing that clip of him scoring, those are the sort of goals our forwards missed on a regular basis, so it was almost surreal to see a United player clinical with his finishing. Last season scarred me for sure.

Thisistheone

Took his goal well. The kind of goal we want from him. Pulling away from the last man and stretching teams.

Think he's gonna be brilliant.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He's got a thunderous shot on him, expecting a beaut somewhere down the line

pascell

If you judge everything off the back of some memes on Facebook then no one will ever be a great player. It's like posting a video of Lukakus missed chances, every striker missed sitters but it's how they bounce back from them that defines their character. I remember Fraizer Campbell's debut and he missed a sitter and look where he is now, then you look at Rashford who went through a long goal drought last season and helped drag us to win the EL.

I don't know if you're trying to be a WUM here but it's not really worked, you've made yourself look a bit silly really.

Jose has a good transfer acumen, I have full faith in his knowledge and how he'll utilise Lukaku, he's going to be a big hit for us this season.

Nick7

Yet by reading some of the guff on here, I get the impression that some have barely seen him play.
Nah a two minute video showing his worst touches is all the need to watch to decide if he's a good player or not.

Despite the fact you could make the same video about pretty much every single footballer.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The goal was GREAT :) because he could have shot first time but he he seemed to have an idea what he wanted to do and he had the time to mess it up but kept his composure. Martial, Rashford will learn a lot from this lad.

Robbie Boy

Nah a two minute video showing his worst touches is all the need to watch to decide if he's a good player or not.

Despite the fact you could make the same video about pretty much every single footballer.
But now that video makes it a 'Caf thing' that he has a shit first touch.

Nick7

But now that video makes it a 'Caf thing' that he has a shit first touch.
Well if it's mentioned just know that they form their opinion on football based around a two minute video. It's clear as day who already have the knives out for him and will use any poor touch, or decision as confirmation bias.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very encouraging performance so far, loved how he is always available in the box and very direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.