Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
You will find many posters on here who criticize Lukaku during the EPL match day threads and calling him out for being a one-tricky pony, lazy, one-dimensional, a lump etc and these were live matches taking place so its not like people were biased specifically towards him. I guess this is what 4 years of mediocrity does to the club's fans that we've lowered our expectations so much that 3/4 of the forum are delighted with this signing. Under Fergie, he would be seen as a Saha esque signing and it would just be meh for us. He can be very clinical in the league but he's not the kind of striker who takes us to the next level to challenge in Europe. The fee we've paid for him is ridiculous, there's a reason why he is a Chelsea reject and he's only performing well in mid-table clubs. His best goal tally came from clubs like West Brom and Everton, with no disrespect. For £75 m, we should be getting one of the top 5 strikers in the world like Lewandowski or Muller. If you factor in inflation, I'd rather we pay another £20 to £30 m more to get a strikers of this calibre. If we can pay £75 m for this donkey, why can't we pay more to tempt Lewandowski? Weren't there reports of him unhappy with Bayern Munich cause he missed out on the top scorer in the league last season, with his agent trying to angle a move for him and you have Aubameyang who looks set to move from Dortmund. These are proven strikers in Europe as well. In fact, I'd rather we take a punt on Morata, I think he has a higher ceiling and is obviously more technical.
Very silly and naive post.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Only an idiot would call him a Chelsea reject if for no other reason THEY WERE TRYING TO SIGN HIM THEIRSELVES!!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You will find many posters on here who criticize Lukaku during the EPL match day threads and calling him out for being a one-tricky pony, lazy, one-dimensional, a lump etc and these were live matches taking place so its not like people were biased specifically towards him. I guess this is what 4 years of mediocrity does to the club's fans that we've lowered our expectations so much that 3/4 of the forum are delighted with this signing. Under Fergie, he would be seen as a Saha esque signing and it would just be meh for us. He can be very clinical in the league but he's not the kind of striker who takes us to the next level to challenge in Europe. The fee we've paid for him is ridiculous, there's a reason why he is a Chelsea reject and he's only performing well in mid-table clubs. His best goal tally came from clubs like West Brom and Everton, with no disrespect. For £75 m, we should be getting one of the top 5 strikers in the world like Lewandowski or Muller. If you factor in inflation, I'd rather we pay another £20 to £30 m more to get a strikers of this calibre. If we can pay £75 m for this donkey, why can't we pay more to tempt Lewandowski? Weren't there reports of him unhappy with Bayern Munich cause he missed out on the top scorer in the league last season, with his agent trying to angle a move for him and you have Aubameyang who looks set to move from Dortmund. These are proven strikers in Europe as well. In fact, I'd rather we take a punt on Morata, I think he has a higher ceiling and is obviously more technical.
I actually read all of that. Word for word.

Wish I could turn back time.

Mark McMaw

What a load of rubbish you'd rather we take a punt on Morata?? Why on earth would we take a punt on Morata when Lukaku has proven he can do it playing around really average players he's just turned 24 I love the way people know for fact he can't develop his hold up game and his touch etc pure madness what some people type these days.

cheeky_backheel

I am not Lukaku's biggest fan (as I feel he is yet to live up to the potential he showed as a teenager) but he is no more a Chelsea reject than De Bruyne is.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Always wonder if people disputing the price of players go up to their friends and tell them their paying too much for a steak and that there's either more value in getting the 3 course meal instead, or simply opting for a cheaper dish like pie and mash because, you know, it's just as filling in the end.

Because that's honestly what the discussion sounds like sometimes.

Reactions: Varun

Hojoon

Always wonder if people disputing the price of players go up to their friends and tell them their paying too much for a steak and that there's either more value in getting the 3 course meal instead, or simply opting for a cheaper dish like pie and mash because, you know, it's just as filling in the end.

:lol: So true. It's a weird phenomena.

ChaddyP

"MullerUnited" , you don't have to guess who that poster wanted here. Such a shite post.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States

:lol:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

This is what Everton fans valued him at 6 months ago
Clearly none of them know what they are talking about (aside from maybe the guy who said £50-60m). How would he be worth less than Lacazette for example, when he's got a couple of years on him and he's scored similar levels of goals - penalties aside - in a much better league?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
There are so many things wrong with this post. By all means have reservations about Lukaku, you're not alone in that, and there's loads of people who would have preferred other options. But the argument's you've made seem a bit odd.

OL29

:lol:

VanGaalyTime

Those worrying about his hold up player and general ability should watch any one of his random match compilations on YouTube. I suggest the Chelsea one, for example:

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Clearly none of them know what they are talking about (aside from maybe the guy who said £50-60m). How would he be worth less than Lacazette for example, when he's got a couple of years on him and he's scored similar levels of goals - penalties aside - in a much better league?
One thing of modern elite strikers is being able to create chances on their own, Lacazette has that potential I think. Very good dribbler, excellent technique, lethal, fast, quick, agile, skillful. Lukaku is an excellent finisher, so is Kane, but is that enough to provide against the elite defences? Thats why Aguero, Suarez, Lewandowski, Aubameyang, Messi, Benzema, Tevez, van Persie, Rooney in recent years were in a class of their own. Lukaku needs to work a lot on that. He is very good running into space imo, thats one.

Status
Not open for further replies.