Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GM K

and yet he is still just turned 24 and so has lots more developing to do. We don't know what the final version of Lukaku looks like, but it's a very exciting prospect.
Good point. Drogba was about 26 when Jose bought him from ligue 1. He had not exactly set the world on fire at that age. His first season at Chelsea was also average. It took him some time to explode. I have a feeling Lukaku will become a beast at United. His combo with Jose makes for an interesting story line. The rejected stone becoming the cornerstone.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I was going to put that too but thought two financial mantras was pushing it. I spend all day in corporate banking and come on Caf for football chats and still end up talking finance! (Bet the B of E are discussing Lukaku move as we speak).
Point is i really like this mantra. Whenever i ask for profit calculations of my deal proposals the finance people do magic with cost allocations so deals become negative or postive as they wish. The only indicator that is sacres is marginal income.

NYAS

Yeah, it's also a common thing in other sports, in the last 10 years NBA salary cap has almost doubled, this happens with football transfer fees too.

But when a guy like Lukaku goes for 75M it just makes me think we're in a huge sports bubble, and millionaires that bought teams just came here to inflate that bubble and will leave before it explodes, it doesn't make any sense that in a 10 year gap Lukaku is valued like a Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo, the global economy hasn't doubled in the last 10 years
That's not how industry-specific inflation works. The global economy doesn't have much to do with it. The money in football nowadays is there because the demand is there. More fans want to watch more football and the suppliers value that at very large amounts of money. As long as that continues then you'll see much more of this happen at a faster rate.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Paying £75m now for Lukaku isn't really much different to paying £7m for Andy Cole 20 years ago. I honestly don't get why anyone gets worked up about what we pay in transfer fees. It's all monopoly money to me.
Especially since it was double our previous record at the time. And when we signed Yorke for £13m it was only 4 shy of the then current World Record fee. But we were less spoiled back then by the lure and ubiquitous YouTube videos of glamorous flashy foreign options, so the idea of smashing the British record for a player with one good season for newly promoted Newcastle under his belt, or an Aston Villa player who'd never scored 20 league goals in a season was less of an issue to whine about.

EyeInTheSky

To the hills! :D

I have been watching since 1987 and I can't think of one main #9 we've had that was so limited, you could argue Cole maybe but not McLair, Hughes, Saha, Ruud, Tevez, Berbatov, RvP or Ibra, but the rest of your post is the most reasonable response I've read all day, appreciate it.
I would argue with that list but if we are only sticking to forwards strikers/ not other players who were limited like Bebe, Dejamba etc.. Off the top of my head:

David Bellion
Dion Dublin
Forlan (Was good elsewhere but utter gash for us)
Biram Diouf
Bebe
Dong Fangzhuo

THere are many more as well. No way in hell he is not far better than them.

Moonred

Have to be honest. Enjoyed poking fun at this clumsy oaf and will need to get used to backing him and hoping he bangs them in. I don't really expect Jose to play free flowing beauiful football so that's not a concern.

vidic blood & sand

It's nothing to do with player quality going downhill and all to do with the amount of money the big teams have now. Players are the most valuable commodity in the game, so it stands to reason that they go up in price as the teams get richer. If teams now have transfer budgets of £100/200m compared to the £25/50m they once had, the player costs will increase at the same rate. If teams had £1bn transfer budgets, top players would cost £500m, it doesn't really make the players any more or less valuable than they used to be. Paying £75m now for Lukaku isn't really much different to paying £7m for Andy Cole 20 years ago. I honestly don't get why anyone gets worked up about what we pay in transfer fees. It's all monopoly money to me.
Well you're talking to someone who used to turn up on the day and pay £2 to watch United. No one was priced out from watching their team.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
The thing here mate is we clearly are of a complete differenc eof opinion on what Lukaku can offer, I've seen a lot of him, he's not unlike current day Rooney in the way attacks break down when he gets the ball due to his poor first touch and lack of control. Morata on the other hand is very good in this regard and is the kind of player that can be used as a fulcrum of an attack.

As far as my reaction goes, I am passionate about United and I am reacting how I feel, I see this buy as the road to nowhere, and the path to play more atrocious football, I have tried to voice that in an fair manner and not insult anyone despite provocation, like I say I will not comment on Lukaku at all once he signs, just discussing is all.
Sorry your passion seems a bit thin if you are going to quit because of Lukaku. That's more a throwing the toys out of the pram response, than being a passionate supporter.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Especially since it was double our previous record at the time. And when we signed Yorke for £13m it was only 4 shy of the then current World Record fee. But we were less spoiled back then by the lure and ubiquitous YouTube videos of glamorous flashy foreign options, so the idea of smashing the British record for a player with one good season for newly promoted Newcastle under his belt, or an Aston Villa player who'd never scored 20 league goals in a season was less of an issue to whine about.
Jesus, can you imagine the "we've signed Andy Cole" thread if today's caf was running back then?

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Well you're talking to someone who used to turn up on the day and pay £2 to watch United. No one was priced out from watching their team.
As long as fans are willing to pay for the tickets and tv packages, prices will increase. It's the nature of the beast.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Have to be honest. Enjoyed poking fun at this clumsy oaf and will need to get used to backing him and hoping he bangs them in. I don't really expect Jose to play free flowing beauiful football so that's not a concern.
Aye, I think he's just after another Zlatan type of player - i.e. one who feeds most of the goals and chances to be fed entirely to him, rather than a fluid attack that has them more evenly divided.

Devil may care

I would argue with that list but if we are only sticking to forwards strikers/ not other players who were limited like Bebe, Dejamba etc.. Off the top of my head:

David Bellion
Dion Dublin
Biram Diouf
Bebe
Dong Fangzhuo

I was talking about players that were the main starting #9 and integral part of the team, not players that barely made a dozen appearences. Lukaku has to be compared with our main #9's as that is his role, not a guy who'll make the odd game in a cup. Off that list Forlan is the only one that was close to playing regularly for us and even then he was more of a sub.

Sorry your passion seems a bit thin if you are going to quit because of Lukaku. That's more a throwing the toys out of the pram response, than being a passionate supporter.
You're entitled to your opinion.

Nick7

David Bellion
Dion Dublin
Biram Diouf
Bebe
Dong Fangzhuo

Chicharito.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Jesus, can you imagine the "we've signed Andy Cole" thread if today's caf was running back then?
Kinda want to look back at the Fellaini signing thread. I wasn't around here then, was it a deadly cauldron of hate and hair?

lsd

The Oracle
So who bangs in more goals in 2017/2018 Lacazette, Lukaku, Sandro and whoever Chelsea buys lol

I think if Lukaku scores 15 to 20 that will be a success for us and him. Like Andy Cole I can see him having to adapt his game to suit the team and that could take time .

I'm happy with this deal the guy is proven and I sense he has the drive to keep improving his game which can only be good for us

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I think if Lukaku scores 15 to 20 that will be a success for us and him. Like Andy Cole I can see him having to adapt his game to suit the team and that could take time .

I'm happy with this deal the guy is proven and I sense he has the drive to keep improving his game which can only be good for us
Anything less than 25 and the critics will be out in full force.

RedorDead21

He will need to change his game quite a lot to suit Jose in terms of running the channels and not losing the ball as often. It's not like he has the aggression of Costa or the all round game of drogs. Whatever Jose wants should be our philosophy right now mind I just think when someone like this lad isn't scoring he'll get a shed load of criticism from fans for other elements of his game which we kinda look for whereas his previous clubs were happy to let slip. I'd never have thought he was Jose top 2 number 9 picks.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

If we don't get another goal scorer then that tally will get us nowhere. There will need to be 4 or 5 others in double figures and that isn't going to happen, or he will not be our top goalscorer, someone else will be. I would want 15-20 from a support striker and over 20 from my main striker.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
We need to get this over the line. We can't have a situation where Lukaku joins Chelsea. We staked too much on this happening, we can't have it fail. Real Madrid are probably a bit mad and Morata who was probably planning on starting his season in Manchester United colors suddenly got that taken away from him.

Redondo_Pirri

Supports
Real Madrid

With Pogba settling in after his first season, I think Lukaku will benefit greatly from that, I am more interested to see what Jose is intending to do tactically. But 15 should be easy for him, 20 par and 25+ brilliant for Man Utd

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Sure he scored 42 goals without taking pens, but he does nothing in the build up. Plus the majority were against the likes of Swindon and Oldham. Pace merchant/flat track bully really, he's nothing without Beardsley, etc etc.

vidic blood & sand

Sure he scored 42 goals without taking pens, but he does nothing in the build up. Plus the majority were against the likes of Swindon and Oldham. Pace merchant/flat track bully really, he's nothing without Beardsley, etc etc.
Cole was a goal scoring beast for Newcastle.

izzydiggler

Anything less than 25 and the critics will be out in full force.
In all competitions, of course and justifiably so - it'll be one of, if not the biggest transfer of all time and in a league he doesn't need to adjust to. So if he isn't hitting them highs, he will be questioned - especially as he's not really going to provide much else.

vidic blood & sand

The York signing surprised me back in 98, I thought he was punching above his weight, but proved me wrong. Hope Lukaku does as well.

Andy_Cole

We need to get this over the line. We can't have a situation where Lukaku joins Chelsea. We staked too much on this happening, we can't have it fail. Real Madrid are probably a bit mad and Morata who was probably planning on starting his season in Manchester United colors suddenly got that taken away from him.

Think that Pogba tweet has confirmed it mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.