g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Your are spending an awful lot of time talking about a club you are claiming to not support anymore. If you are really moving on, why not just move on then?
It hasn't been finalized yet so I'm still hoping Chelsea will gazump us, and I keep getting quoted so I am trying to respond civily to other posters. As soon as it's official I'll not comment on Lukaku and just focus on other threads as there's lots going on.

Acquire Me

:lol: Christ, this thread really went full retard. I'm expecting 'my dad can beat your dad' comments any second now.

Is there a digital equivalent to a nuclear bomb? This thread needs one.
The Caf is lovely in the summer :drool:

EyeInTheSky

I only mentioned the price in relation to once you spend that money you are tied to that player for a considerable amount of time, there's no way out.

No.
please get to a point, you are sounding like an attention seeker. Your response sounds like you are trying to back peddle by doing mental gymnastics with the obvious connotations of your post. So is your issue with the fact we spent the money on Lukaku?

if so please give us your available alternatives.

AlexUTD

Success without quality football isn't worth anything IMO, but each to their own.
Well IMO mate the quality will rise but we still have to support the club in bad and good times. If not then we would only be glory hunters.

I respect that you are passionate about United but feel that to stop watching United are alittle extreme tbh but that is just my opinion. :)

Devil may care

please get to a point, you are sounding like an attention seeker. Your response sounds like you are trying to back peddle by doing mental gymnastics with the obvious connotations of your post. So is your issue with the fact we spent the money on Lukaku?

if so please give us your available alternatives.
No, it's very straight forward, by paying as much as we have it's not like we can offload him next summer and move on, we are stuck with him and the style of play he brings for the foreseeable future, which I detest, that's it.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Nope, not a foreign fan, I don't see why where I am from should be a factor, there were plenty of Manchester born reds that walked out with the Glazer takover and chose to support Salford City.
Taking your allegiance away from the club in protest at the way the club was sold and a wider disenchantment with the way football is becoming increasingly money-driven is not quite the same as ending your support because you don't like the way the team plays.

Devil may care

Well IMO mate the quality will rise but we still have to support the club in bad and good times. If not then we would only be glory hunters.

I respect that you are passionate about United but feel that to stop watching United are alittle extreme tbh but that is just my opinion. :)
A glory hunter cares about trophies, I am not concerned about trophies, I just want to be entertained by United, excited to sit and watch my team play football, not sit through a dull slog.

EyeInTheSky

No, it's very straight forward, by paying as much as we have it's not like we can offload him next summer and move on, we are stuck with him and the style of play he brings for the foreseeable future, which I detest, that's it.
how is his style of playing any worse than other strikers on a like for like position? His scores tonnes of goals by powering his way through defences and belts them in. What is there not to like in that? He is no less exciting than other strikers we have had.

It's a miracle you have tolerated United for so long...

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yes, I hate the route we are going and £75M on this type of striker is the final straw as we'll be stuck with him for years.
Aren't you a tad overreacting? There're players in world football who have got a better ball controll (not many), that's for sure, but as far as i'm concerned i believe that Lukaku is capable of executing a hold up play which would be up for the required job. As a team Lukaku enabled his Everton team mates -by playing some good passes, clear cut chances (IMO), so i think the quality to do that is there. Mourinho and his staff just have to exploit that, so at the end of the day he can show it more often. Yes, he fecked up some passes, but that's not only because he's bad, i think it has also got something to do with concentration. Something one can work on.

Lukaku seems to be quite ambitious, comes across as a hard worker, he's got power and can bully most of the defenders. On top of that he's still only 24 years of age. What's not to like here?

Maybe i'm in the wrong here, but taking everything there's into consideration, why is Morata overall the better player for United?

If you remember, last year in november we both had a discussion (public and private) about a certain defender (hint Lindelöf). You did come across reasonable, therefore i'm surprised that you go down the binary route. I get that you'd prefer another player, but -despite the possible signing of a player who's already shown what he's got in the league and moreover who could really prosper here, threatening not to watch United anymore because he might me coming, seems like throwing a tantrum.

At the end of the day Lukaku will most likely make United a better team and it increases the chances of winning big trophies with him in the team. If i were a betting man, i would definitely say that Lukaku would become a hit at United.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
:lol: Christ, this thread really went full retard. I'm expecting 'my dad can beat your dad' comments any second now.

Is there a digital equivalent to a nuclear bomb? This thread needs one.
Are you kidding? This thread is pure gold

Silly season is the caf's equivalent of the RAWK goes into meltdown thread :lol:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Guy on SSN live at OT says we have agreed a fee to start with but there are still add-ons to discuss.

shaky

Player quality is really going down hill to where clubs are having to pay fortunes for good to decent players, not exceptional talent.
It's nothing to do with player quality going downhill and all to do with the amount of money the big teams have now. Players are the most valuable commodity in the game, so it stands to reason that they go up in price as the teams get richer. If teams now have transfer budgets of £100/200m compared to the £25/50m they once had, the player costs will increase at the same rate. If teams had £1bn transfer budgets, top players would cost £500m, it doesn't really make the players any more or less valuable than they used to be. Paying £75m now for Lukaku isn't really much different to paying £7m for Andy Cole 20 years ago. I honestly don't get why anyone gets worked up about what we pay in transfer fees. It's all monopoly money to me.

Devil may care

how is his style of playing any worse than other strikers on a like for like position? His scores tonnes of goals by powering his way through defences and belts them in. What is there not to like in that? He is no less exciting than other strikers we have had.

It's a miracle you have tolerated United for so long...
I've answered this in several other threads, he's a very limited footballer, doesn't bring the rest of the attack into the game, has poor control, is poor in tight spaces and lumbers about waiting for the game to come to him, he offers no press on the CB's, not good to watch IMO and not the type of striker you can build a fluid, free flowing attack around.

Terminator

I really like Lukaku and think he's going to be a huge hit at this club. Very surprised with some of the backlash so far considering the other alternatives were not too great.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
And if we dont limit 'Spanish strikers' to nationality but extend to those who plied their trade in La Liga before coming to England, Aguero and Costa both excelled in this league.

The 'PL proven' nonsense is just tiresome. Sure, it takes some time to acclimatise but that holds true for every league. Good players will overcome those obstacles more often than not.
You might find it tiresome, but a lot of players take time to acclimatise to our league.

Some Premier league players can also find it hard stepping up to our level of club.
But then you can have a mix of both of the above, to make it even harder

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I really like Lukaku and think he's going to be a huge hit at this club. Very surprised with some of the backlash so far considering the other alternatives were not too great.
Lingard might not be happy not being Pogba's best buddy any longer. He seems to have attached himself to Rashford and I thought Marcus was a sensible lad.

Devil may care

Aren't you a tad overreacting? There're players in world football who have got a better ball controll (not many), that's for sure, but as far as i'm concerned i believe that Lukaku is capable of executing a hold up play which would be up for the required job. As a team Lukaku enabled his Everton team mates -by playing some good passes, clear cut chances (IMO), so i think the quality to do that is there. Mourinho and his staff just have to exploit that, so at the end of the day he can show it more often. Yes, he fecked up some passes, but that's not only because he's bad, i think it has also got something to do with concentration. Something one can work on.

Lukaku seems to be quite ambitious, comes across as a hard worker, he's got power and can bully most of the defenders. On top of that he's still only 24 years of age. What's not to like here?

Maybe i'm in the wrong here, but taking everything there's into consideration, why is Morata overall the better player for United?

If you remember, last year in november we both had a discussion (public and private) about a certain defender (hint Lindelöf). You did come across reasonable, therefore i'm surprised that you go down the binary route. I get that you'd prefer another player, but -despite the possible signing of a player who's already shown what he's got in the league and moreover who could really prosper here, threatening not to watch United anymore because he might me coming, seems like throwing a tantrum.

At the end of the day Lukaku will most likely make United a better team and it increases the chances of winning big trophies with him in the team. If i were a betting man, i would definitely say that Lukaku would become a hit at United.
The thing here mate is we clearly are of a complete differenc eof opinion on what Lukaku can offer, I've seen a lot of him, he's not unlike current day Rooney in the way attacks break down when he gets the ball due to his poor first touch and lack of control. Morata on the other hand is very good in this regard and is the kind of player that can be used as a fulcrum of an attack.

As far as my reaction goes, I am passionate about United and I am reacting how I feel, I see this buy as the road to nowhere, and the path to play more atrocious football, I have tried to voice that in an fair manner and not insult anyone despite provocation, like I say I will not comment on Lukaku at all once he signs, just discussing is all.

cjg-888

As long he keeps scoring 20+ a season for us, i dont think i can/will complain.

I have a worry it could go all Carroll or Benteke on us, for some reason.

Motorman

When is this likely to be announced? Thought it would be today if I'm honest. Hopefully will be tomorrow

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The thing here mate is we clearly are of a complete differenc eof opinion on what Lukaku can offer, I've seen a lot of him, he's not unlike current day Rooney in the way attacks break down when he gets the ball due to his poor first touch and lack of control. Morata on the other hand is very good in this regard and is the kind of player that can be used as a fulcrum of an attack.

As far as my reaction goes, I am passionate about United and I am reacting how I feel, I see this buy as the road to nowhere, and the path to play more atrocious football, I have tried to voice that in an fair manner and not insult anyone despite provocation, like I say I will not comment on Lukaku at all once he signs, just discussing is all.
Retreat. We have been outflanked.:D

EyeInTheSky

I've answered this in several other threads, he's a very limited footballer, doesn't bring the rest of the attack into the game, has poor control, is poor in tight spaces and lumbers about waiting for the game to come to him, he offers no press on the CB's, not good to watch IMO and not the type of striker you can build a fluid, free flowing attack around.
I could name you a long, long list of players worse than him that we have had at the club in all aspects of their game and every aspect that you have mentioned. Yet you persisted with the club. How about you wait and see what he brings next season and make an informed decision from there and for an improvement alongside other signings. I have a feeling his explosive style will bring goals (no one can argue about this) and excitement.

Devil may care

Retreat. We have been outflanked.:D
To the hills! :D

I could name you a long, long list of players worse than him that we have had at the club in all aspects of their game and every aspect that you have mentioned. Yet you persisted with the club. How about you wait and see what he brings next season and make an informed decision from there and for an improvement alongside other signings. I have a feeling his explosive style will bring goals (no one can argue about this) and excitement.
I have been watching since 1987 and I can't think of one main #9 we've had that was so limited, you could argue Cole maybe but not McLair, Hughes, Saha, Ruud, Tevez, Berbatov, RvP or Ibra, but the rest of your post is the most reasonable response I've read all day, appreciate it.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It hasn't been finalized yet so I'm still hoping Chelsea will gazump us, and I keep getting quoted so I am trying to respond civily to other posters. As soon as it's official I'll not comment on Lukaku and just focus on other threads as there's lots going on.
I think Lukaku will surprise you mate. He would have turned quite a few of those draws into wins if he'd been playing for us last season.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
It's nothing to do with player quality going downhill and all to do with the amount of money the big teams have now. Players are the most valuable commodity in the game, so it stands to reason that they go up in price as the teams get richer. If teams now have transfer budgets of £100/200m compared to the £25/50m they once had, the player costs will increase at the same rate. If teams had £1bn transfer budgets, top players would cost £500m, it doesn't really make the players any more or less valuable than they used to be. Paying £75m now for Lukaku isn't really much different to paying £7m for Andy Cole 20 years ago. I honestly don't get why anyone gets worked up about what we pay in transfer fees. It's all monopoly money to me.
Yeah, it's also a common thing in other sports, in the last 10 years NBA salary cap has almost doubled, this happens with football transfer fees too.

But when a guy like Lukaku goes for 75M it just makes me think we're in a huge sports bubble, and millionaires that bought teams just came here to inflate that bubble and will leave before it explodes, it doesn't make any sense that in a 10 year gap Lukaku is valued like a Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo, the global economy hasn't doubled in the last 10 years

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
:D one of the worst photoshops ever. Anyone with a decent screen can see a huge difference in skin colour on the neck :D
Phil Neville has fallen for it. There again it's Phil Neville. Although you would think he is one person who might know if the transfer has gone through.

Status
Not open for further replies.