Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northstand

Beeb saying it's done?

Interesting. If true, I read that as the Morata deal being dead. We might sign another forward but surely not an out and out striker.

For me that sends the message that we can't be held to random by Madrid or anyone else. Which is probably a positive signal to be sending out to other clubs we're dealing with.
Yes, and love how it now leaves Madrid with a very unhappy player, and a scenario where nobody else is likely to pay anywhere close to the fee United offered. Nice one Ed.

TrueRed79

Obviously he can score goals, and on his day is unstoppable due to his size and pace, but his all round game is not that great. Need to sign Morata as well. If not i'll be disappointed.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
RVP, Yorke, Cole, Sheringham were all qualified successes.

What the hell is wrong with Caf?
Insane not to deem all those mentioned as success stories. Can only imagine it's an age thing, because there's no way anyone old enough to witness Yorke, Cole, Sheringham et al would say otherwise.

Mihai

He better step up in games that actually matter. Yes he scores against the lesser lights, but we now don't have Ibra to score in the big games. Morata would be perfect for that. We just have to hope he can perform for a big club, because he hasn't shown it yet. When Chelsea tried to give him a chance he failed.
I can't seem to remember Ibra scoring in the big games last season. Actually, he scored one against man city in september.

WPMUFC

are we all forgetting that athletic bilbao tweeted they had not sold Herrera to MUFC when Herrera was in london? :lol:

Everton will not confirm until everything is confirmed. Woodward is briefing the press because it's all done.

Minimalist

The 'style of play' argument is bizarre to me. I have no idea what these people expected with Mourinho. Morata is a bit different but he's still ultimately a target man at his best (from what I've seem of him).

I was one of many last season who hated how our attack performed but that wasn't down to the 'style' - it was clearly a mix of bad performances by individual players (bad selection at times I felt) and bad coaching. The style we play is very much Mourinho territory and that usually comes with a Drogba type forward. Well, here we are.

renatosanches85

He's not the best striker in the PL, for one.

Of those you posted, only Rooney can be considered a qualified success, and we moulded him from a teenager. Lukaku will more likely than not end up like Yorke.
Depends what you define as an unqualified success? Longevity, with 3/4 years of mediocrity towards the end or short term success that makes you want to watch football. RVP, Tevez, Yorke all made me excited to watch UTD, if only for a season or two. Sherongham and Cole were both successes for UTD if you look at their goals/trophies. Rooney was undoubtedly a success but the last 3/4 years he has made me want to stop watching UTD.

Enigma_87

You know who
Why are people against this signing seriously? Morata, Auba, Lukaku - those are our options in terms of quality strikers on the market.

We don't seem to be in for Auba, whilst there isn't much between Morata and Lukaku and Real seems to hold out for crazy money. If not those three then who?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

You're both using the wrong word. Those players were unqualified successes.

You can't call them a qualified success. They did absolutely everything they were bought for.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Insane not to deem all those mentioned as success stories. Can only imagine it's an age thing, because there's no way anyone old enough to witness Yorke, Cole, Sheringham et al would say otherwise.
Unbelievable statement.

Pogba... not really a "proper signing". Not a "fergie signing".

I'd put Pogba in the "we've got money to spend and don't know what to spend it on" category, similar to Di Maria. That's not to say I don't want Pogba, or that he's comparable in failure to DM, but it was part of our "floundering" phase.

The Romulan is "Prem Proven" (Berbatov, Tevez, Cole, Sheringham, Shearer (not that we got him), etc). Strong, young and a proven goal scorer.

Think he is a classic fergie signing. We get Lukaku and it makes everyone else weaker.
Sorry to break it to you, but Fergie left 4 years ago. Fergie bought pleanty of talented players from abroad, Ronaldo, RVN and Veron etc. We certaintly needed Pogba, he's not a luxury player.

However I do see similarities between him and Cole, and Cole did very well for us, scored a shed load of goals and won league after league without ever being the very best.

Lukaku has nearly 150 career goals at 24. That's immense.

InfiniteBoredom

RVP had one great season, one with decent output marred by injuries and a useless one.

Yorke had one great season.

Cole was good for 3 years and one great year, then lost his focus.

Sheringham score 31 goals for us over 4 seasons. Hardly 'qualified success'. He was also part of a 4 men strike force on heavy rotation.

If we are shelling out 75m for a lead striker, I sure damn hope he will do better than all of them, even as I dont generally give a damn about the money we pay.
You don't think Cole was a success?
See above.

Dobbs

My point at least, is not saying we should use Fellaini up top, but what is the difference with him being up top or Lukaku. Both of them are lump it to them guys. It's a limited style of play, one dimensional, and boring (for me personally). I want us to have players with better technique, not only for entertainment, but also because in Europe you really need players like that.
The bid difference is that one of them is an actual striker proven to be a top goalscorer by the age of 24.

Just because he's big doesn't mean we're going long ball all of a sudden. Though I don't think there's anything wrong with having a big, strong, striker.

If anything Lukaku's weakness is dealing with long balls chucked upto him. So I wouldn't worry about us going down that road.

ZAGREB RED

Honestly not sure about this one, I would rather have Morata - I said that before today's news - but I hope to be proved wrong if Lukaku signs, although Everton are denying the bid has been accepted according to some reports, Talksport I think ?

Mister_Stubbs

Excellent signing. Premier League proven, will only improve with better players around him. Fee is high but that's modern day football for you.

Kaos

Not that thrilled by this but considering our attackers have been queuing up to miss clear cut chances, I'd take one of the PL top scorers.

As for him being a flat track bully that mostly scores against the cannon fodder teams....well isn't that exactly what we need? If we didn't draw as many games against relegation fodder because of missed chances we'd probably have been title contenders.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Why are the mirror and Jon White both reporting its not been completed and that the stories are false , also talksport said they have been advised by everton its not true?

Utd7

Great news to wake up to! We finally pulled a swift and fast negotiation, Bayern Munich style and in the process screwed Chelsea. Beautiful.

RedStarUnited

haha a United transfer is never smooth is it. There's always a last minute potential hiccup just for shits and giggles.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Negativity.... on Red Cafe? Well there's a shock :lol:

We're buying one of the Premier Leagues most proven out and out goalscorers who's homegrown and only 24!!!!

Fantastic news!
This forum is depressing at times. I can understand preferring one over the other but Lukaku is literally one of 2-3 top strikers in the PL (therefore proven).
:rolleyes: Plenty of people are happy. Do you really expect everyone to be happy about a player that divided opinion even in their best season, or to pretend that they are for the sake of those that are pleased?
There's loads of people being positive too.

settembrini

What type of striker is Lukaku? What's his strengths? Is he a striker who gets in the right positions and tap it in or is he more of a distance shooter?
He scores all types of goals. That's his strength really and why he is such a consistent scorer.

His movement, strength, speed, finishing (both feet) and heading are all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.