Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akshay

Staff
They are at the same age, but the lowest amount of goals Lukaku scored since 5 seasons is 16, playing for inferior teams like WBA and Everton. Morata had his best season at "just" 20.

Lukaku has been an efficient and consistent goalscorer in all competitions he has taken part in. I'd preferred Morata as the more rounded one as I've said but in terms of a pure finisher I'd take Lukaku.

Mind boggles why some are not happy if this transfer goes through. He's as quality striker who is on the market as any.
Lukaku scores more goals because he plays far more minutes. He's also the main focal point by far in the teams he plays for, which won't be the case at United where there are other quality attackers alongside him. I think people who expect him to be more clinical than Zlatan was for us are going to be disappointed. Overall our attack is still weaker than it was last season.

He's not the best striker in the PL, for one.

Of those you posted, only Rooney can be considered a qualified success, and we moulded him from a teenager. Lukaku will more likely than not end up like Yorke.

So he'll win us the treble? I'll take that. Yorke was brilliant for us, so were Cole and Sheringham from that era.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Feckin hell.. got more excited when I thought we had signed Stormzy.

Adebesi

Yes, and love how it now leaves Madrid with a very unhappy player, and a scenario where nobody else is likely to pay anywhere close to the fee United offered. Nice one Ed.
That's definitely the thing I like most about this, NOT dealing with Madrid. I mean, if they had accepted a reasonable offer I would have been fine with it, but if we had ended up relenting and paying some ridiculous price for Morata out of desperation it would have taken the shine off what I think would have been a good signing. I like the fact we look at have done a good deal and on our own terms.

Happy days.

Yagami

Good post resistant
RVP, Yorke, Cole, Sheringham were all qualified successes.

What the hell is wrong with Caf?
To add to those 4 I'd say Tevez was, too. A key player in our double season.

Berbatov probably was as well. He may not have lived up to everyone's expectations but he was integral in some great moments for the club.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Fantastic news, prefer him over morata too.

KN5

Paying the same price we could have got Morata, I'm at a loss for words, mental.
PL proven and starter for his last clubs, I prefer Morata too but he isn't a starter and wasn't for Juve either and also he isn't proven in the PL. Probably the thought process behind it for Jose.

InfiniteBoredom

Wait what?? :lol:

Half of those weren't the best strikers in the Prem at the time. You get the best players that are available.

Berbatov was pure class with a first touch like a fictional character in a romance novel. I'd put him far down on that list of successes. Saha was a beautiful player but injury prone.

But you get the best you can and make everyone else weaker.
Sorry, this doesn't wash with me.

I hope we buy the player best suited to our football, and success comes from there. Buying with the mindset of 'make everyone else weaker' hardly ever came out well. You focus on yourself, not others.

Anyway, to save myself from others misintepreting what I meant, a qualified success in my eye is someone who gave 5+ years of stellar football to the club, being an unquestioned name on the team sheet. I don't see Lukaku being that man.

CG1010

Why are the mirror and Jon White both reporting its not been completed and that the stories are false , also talksport said they have been advised by everton its not true?
Because the deal isn't done yet and Everton probably know Lukaku wants to go to Chelsea. #burn

Flytan

I mean if we really signed him for 75M after Everton throwing out 100M numbers for over a year now I think that qualifies as a success in the transfer market...

Smudge

Guessing the fee is at £75m due to United covering some of Rooney's wages and no loan fee involved in the Rooney transfer?

CG1010

Wouldn't put past Jose to pursue Lukaku to spite Chelsea and Conte mainly. :D

Enigma_87

You know who
Lukaku scores more goals because he plays far more minutes. He's also the main focal point by far in the teams he plays for, which won't be the case at United where there are other quality attackers alongside him. I think people who expect him to be more clinical than Zlatan was for us are going to be disappointed. Overall our attack is still weaker than it was last season.
Morata has played more minutes at Juve yet, he was far off what Lukaku posted at the end of the season. Both are excellent options and given who is on the market I see no reason anyone to be unhappy with either.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
25% sell on fee to Chelsea, Raiola surely to receive around 20%, how much will actually end up with Everton I wonder?

Jev

Good news. Expensive but considering his age and scoring rate it doesn't seem over the top in the current market. Always preferred him to Morata. Should guarantee goals galore.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
RVP had one great season, one with decent output marred by injuries and a useless one.

Yorke had one great season.

Cole was good for 3 years and one great year, then lost his focus.

Sheringham score 31 goals for us over 4 seasons. Hardly 'qualified success'. He was also part of a 4 men strike force on heavy rotation.

If we are shelling out 75m for a lead striker, I sure damn hope he will do better than all of them, even as I dont generally give a damn about the money we pay.

See above.
So if he fires us to a treble winning season and two or three league titles it won't be enough?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's definitely the thing I like most about this, NOT dealing with Madrid. I mean, if they had accepted a reasonable offer I would have been fine with it, but if we had ended up relenting and paying some ridiculous price for Morata out of desperation it would have taken the shine off what I think would have been a good signing. I like the fact we look at have done a good deal and on our own terms.

Happy days.
This feels like small time mentality to me. The only I'd be happy was signing him for not such a stupid fee and since that wasn't to be happening, no scenario could make me "happy". We are seen as a club that can be fleeced and hopefully refusing to buy Morata will help us destroy this image.

CG1010

Sorry, this doesn't wash with me.

I hope we buy the player best suited to our football, and success comes from there. Buying with the mindset of 'make everyone else weaker' hardly ever came out well. You focus on yourself, not others.

Anyway, to save myself from others misintepreting what I meant, a qualified success in my eye is someone who gave 5+ years of stellar football to the club, being an unquestioned name on the team sheet. I don't see Lukaku being that man.
*unqualified you mean.

Under your definition, we won titles after titles without having a successful striker in the team except Rooney. Wouldn't mind the same now :)

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Sorry to break it to you, but Fergie left 4 years ago. Fergie bought pleanty of talented players from abroad, Ronaldo, RVN and Veron etc. We certaintly needed Pogba, he's not a luxury player.

However I do see similarities between him and Cole, and Cole did very well for us, scored a shed load of goals and won league after league without ever being the very best.

Lukaku has nearly 150 career goals at 24. That's immense.
Yes, if he is a qualified failure here, it will be immensely depressing.

And yes, we certainly bought some great players from abroad. You can add to that Ronaldinho who we tried and didn't get, and maybe a few others.

I'd say Pogba is a "finishing piece" to a team, not the "bread and water" players that you need to raise the average level.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Excited to see what he can do for us, think he can easily bag 30 goals for us. Decent fee too, considering what players are going for now. I think the Rooney transfer played a part in it.

Won't lie though, had my heart set on Morata. But Jose knows both players well, so I'm sure he made the right choice.

doomy20

To the ones who prefer him over Morata - why?

I think Luk+Morata would boost us, just him alone not enough. His static style of play combined with our slow game and not creating many chances per game ... critical

Minimalist

He scores all types of goals. That's his strength really and why he is such a consistent scorer.

His movement, strength, speed, finishing (both feet) and heading are all good.
Find it hard to believe people can watch that, seeing the range of goals he's scored and think 'we don't need that'.

Mental stuff. Great buy, I'm convinced of it.

Enigma_87

You know who
What type of striker is Lukaku? What's his strengths? Is he a striker who gets in the right positions and tap it in or is he more of a distance shooter?
He's a proper #9 who can also play with his back to the goal. Strong, fast, very good positioning and excellent in the air. He's not very technical and his first touch is not the best, but as a striker you can hardly do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.