g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteBoredom

RVP, Tevez, Berbatov, Alan Smith, Rooney, Saha, Sherringham, Yorke, Cole

It's a classic fergie thing to buy the best Strikers in the Premier League
He's not the best striker in the PL, for one.

Of those you posted, only Rooney can be considered a qualified success, and we moulded him from a teenager. Lukaku will more likely than not end up like Yorke.

SapperBRed75

Morata's move blown by Perez. Lukaku potentially done for £75M. I'm happy with the signing, but also the conduct of it - we have proven that we are not going to be held to ransom, and that we have plan. Gone are the days of flailing about throwing ridiculous money around 48hrs before the deadline (yes £75M is a lot, but compared to market conditions given what we are securing in terms of EPL goals, ok). Good work Woody - get this over the line, and then a worldy DM, maybe a winger, and I'm HAPPY!:drool:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Imagine if this was a joint bluff from United and Everton to get Chelsea/Madrid to get on with it...

I mean, it's a mental thought, but then there was the fax machine...

Enigma_87

You know who
What makes Lukaku more clinical? I think Morata is the more efficient scorer tbh, the only questions for me over him would have been adjusting to the PL and playing a lot more minutes.
They are at the same age, but the lowest amount of goals Lukaku scored since 5 seasons is 16, playing for inferior teams like WBA and Everton. Morata had his best season at "just" 20.

Lukaku has been an efficient and consistent goalscorer in all competitions he has taken part in. I'd preferred Morata as the more rounded one as I've said but in terms of a pure finisher I'd take Lukaku.

Mind boggles why some are not happy if this transfer goes through. He's as quality striker who is on the market as any.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.

all credible media are on one side.

No one credible is dismissing this and the club obviosuly briefed everyone.

BBC/Ducker/MEN/Norwood all reporting the same thing at the same time.

ITS DONE!
Oh dear Madrid... can't believe they turned down 75M euros. I guess understandable from our point of view for pulling out. Reckon Chelsea will go in and probably get him cheaper though..

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

Of those you posted, only Rooney can be considered a qualified success, and we moulded him from a teenager. Lukaku will more likely than not end up like Yorke.
You don't think Cole was a success?

Mihai

They can come with a higher offer to Everton and unless the papers are already signed, Everton can take the new offer if we dont match it. Dont think Lukaku is averse to Chelsea.
Chelsea don't have Rooney to include in the deal, do they? just kidding, you are right obviously

AshRK

It's like fans can never be satisfied. We are linked to morata: people say he is a bench warmer
Linked to belotti: unproven
Now linked to lukaku: bad first touch, overrated.

I bet lacazatte has become the best striker since yesterday

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

RVP, Yorke, Cole, Sheringham were all qualified successes.

What the hell is wrong with Caf?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Oh dear Madrid... can't believe they turned down 75M euros. I guess understandable from our point of view for pulling out. Reckon Chelsea will go in and probably get him cheaper though..
If Chelsea goes in, I think Hazard might become a part of the deal.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
@Damien can you put a space after Lukaku and before the vertical bar in the title, it's driving me insane it being spaced wrong.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Might be me but considering Lukaku's age and goal scoring record, the fee is reasonable.
It's absolutely reasonable in this current climate. Still only about 24 and been consistently amongst the top scorers in the league for about 5 years.

You've only got to look at Everton spending 30mil on a goalkeeper that got relegated last season to see it.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

:houllier:

RVP won us the league
Tevez was a huge part of us winning two leagues and a CL
Yorke and Cole won us many leagues and the treble
Sherringham took a while to get going but won Player of the Year.
Saha was ruined by injury but still was brilliant in 2006-7.

Halftrack

I don't understand why you are saying it then?
Did your eyes fall out halfway through? I thought I made it pretty clear why I wrote what I wrote. Going "scores 25 for Everton last season, some people on the Caf think he's not good enough :lol:" is a dumb, because putting up good numbers as a striker does not make you United quality (as exemplified by the players I listed). No one has disputed his goal tally, that's not even up for debate. People who have misgivings about him are likely concerned about other facets of his game, so pointing to his goal tally alone as proof of his quality (and to laugh at the doubters) is unlikely to win any of them over.
So what do you use to measure the value of a forward then? I assume you'd criticise Ibrahimovic as well because "all" he did was stick the ball in the back of the net.
What are you even on about? I said using goals alone as a measure of quality was near enough meaningless, not that goals are meaningless.
Lukaku has consistently, and at a young age, scored goals in over numerous seasons in the PL. We lacked goals last year and he has them and in a better side you would expect him to improve again.
This is true, and I agree. However, there are legitimate concerns about what he has to offer besides goals, and quoting his goal tally to those expressing those concerns isn't going to magically change their minds, especially not when you do it like he did.

witchtrials

The state of this place when Lukaku, Perisic and Fellaini are in the same line-up.
Rightly so, in my opinion - throw in Matic as well and it would be supremely depressing. I'm still giving Mourinho the benefit of the doubt in assuming the model isn't just a bunch of big, strong, fast lads that can physically dominate the opposition, but a lining up like that would kill off any faith that the long-term goal is creative and exciting football. Still hypothetical at the moment though.

Thaumaste

This is an odd comparison. So, he'll end up forming a legendary partnership with a current striker (after we fail to sign whoever this year's equivalent of Kluivert is - Morata?) and leading us to a treble before finishing 11th on the Ballon D'Or list? Sounds alright to me.

Boycott

Jim White has a hotline to Farhad Moshiri tbf but all the other journos are reporting from the Utd end so I imagine there is just a few formalities to be completed.

davidmichael

Great age, proven in our league, regularly one of the top scorers in the league, strong, good finisher, good in the air, bullies pretty much every single team outside of the top 6, holds the ball up well, pacey for a big man and runs in behind the defence so I don't see any negatives other than him not having played in the Champions League and as of yet not being great against the biggest teams although he was at Everton.

Morata is technically a better player and played at the highest level but his goal record isn't great and he's never been the main man up front for anybody and then there's the fact that he's never played in our league, one thing Sir Alex always did was buy proven Premier League players and mix them with our youngsters and one or two players from abroad which was a perfect mix.

Maybe that's why we've been linked with Danny Rose instead of Mendy or Matic and Dier instead of Fabinho as Jose is going down the same route as Sir Alex with buying proven domestic players and mixing them with the likes of Mkhitaryan, Lindelof, Martial and Bailly as the foreign signings then the likes of Rashford, Lingard, Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah from the youth team.

redshaw

Good deal in terms of he's in the North West, good friend of Pogba and PL proven. Still would've liked to see Morata here but maybe he'll like London better or stay on the continent.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Would be funny see people's opinion here change if you guys sign him after so many of you constantly call him a donkey.

Would also be very interesting to see what we would do if our supposed #1 striker choice was off the table. Belotti?
He is a donkey. It's possible he'll be a goalscoring machine and a game changer in our counter-attacking game. It's also possible he'll struggle to play in tight spaces and we'll become very one dimensional, reliant on a notoriously streaky goalscorer. Regardless of which one of this is true, he's still a donkey. Absolutely terrible core technical skills.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Wait what?? :lol:

Half of those weren't the best strikers in the Prem at the time. You get the best players that are available.

Berbatov was pure class with a first touch like a fictional character in a romance novel. I'd put him far down on that list of successes. Saha was a beautiful player but injury prone.

But you get the best you can and make everyone else weaker.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I think he'll do well for us.

He scored 24 league goals playing alongside shite at Everton - think what he can do with quality around him.

It is a bit crazy though how Mourinho sold him for 28m now buying him back for 75m?

redflair

Always felt this would happen when Koeman came out with that diatribe against the club - and that Lukaku wouldn't 'improve' if he came here.

If you add in his friendship with Pogba and the old Mourinho links, it was a no-brainer really.

A much-needed signing at a good price, in today's inflated market.

GM K

Can someone please wake me up?

Wayne Rooney leaving?

One of the top three under 25 strikers in world football in for 75m?

Real Madrid put in their place?

Chelsea stunned?

All in just about three days?

I can't wait for the next news. Bring in Fabinho, Rodriguez and Perisic or Costa.

Status
Not open for further replies.