RvP Transfer | Signed with Fenerbahce | See thread in the footy forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantonaaa!

[/QUOTE]
I can't sit here and tell you that for the last couple of years van persie hasen't been poor because quite simply he hasn't been anywhere near good enough and to some this combined with his age is enough to point to a decline that he will never recover from. I'm just not convinced this decline is as severe as people make out and may instead be down to other factors.

Firstly, under David Moyes two years ago we were very poor as a unit as we all know and so robins decline was not exclusive and it was instead a massive dip in the whole squad. Last year people expected a lot better but for the first half of the season Van Gaal tested new formations eg 3-5-2 and this lowered the output of all our strikers. I don't believe that RVP has been given the same amount of opportunities playing as a lone striker in a 4-3-3 as say Rooney has been given and I still believe that RVP can be the more effective striker for us. For this reason without feeling he's had the proper opportunity I just can't agree with this 'decline' message and I instead put it down to poor form, unfortunate circumstances and injures(which are still a problem I must admit).

Overall this just makes me question those that are so quick to right off van persie and turn so mid level, average strikers such as Benteke that have shown nothing compared to what RVP is capable of. He needs one more year played with Rooney and Wilson as strike options and providing we have a good window improving our defence and midfield I expect him to dramatically improve in his form and maybe even rediscover some of his very best play.

The striker market is a weak as I have seen it with very few strikers of the overall quality that RVP has. I will happily write of RVP with the rest of this forum if next year RVP is given chances to perform and doesn't provide the goods but until then he's still a top striker.

You should take into account that starting February 2013 he went 10 games without scoring before he scored a penalty, and then went on to injurying himself falling on a tv camera.
That's more or less 2,5 years with declining. It's sad if we let him go because he is a top drawer striker some days and a nice guy it seems, but at the end of the day he's on 250k and he's probably free to leave or stay as he wish so it's really his choice. I can't see Van Gaal chasing him out the gates of OT anytime soon.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I love RVP and a part of me still believes he'll be back to his scoring form. But honestly, I have a lot of confidence in Rooney banging in a lot of goals he's given the pure striker role. Rooney was made for that and despite all this midfield BS messing with his career he can still give us 1-2 excellent seasons being the man upfront.

Cantonaaa!

excuse me if it's an obvious question, but what does an offform Benteke do?

Look like a lumbering carthorse I'd say. and not score.
That sounds about right. He's probably like a shit version of an off form Van Persie.
Imagine an off form Benteke with Rooney coming back from injury. Couldn't string together a single pass in an open field most likely. :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I love RVP and a part of me still believes he'll be back to his scoring form. But honestly, I have a lot of confidence in Rooney banging in a lot of goals he's given the pure striker role. Rooney was made for that and despite all this midfield BS messing with his career he can still give us 1-2 excellent seasons being the man upfront.
I agree with this. Annoys me when so many people criticise his goal output as if he's some kind of Darren Bent/Charlie Austin tap in meister in teams built completely round them.
A full season up front, and he'll get a haul I'm certain.

That footy manager nonsense of Van Persie, Falcao and Rooney all shoehorned into one lineup last year was glamorous on paper, but utter garbage in reality.

If we do ship VP off, we now don't have the awful choice of either having 3 heavyweights not working well together, or benching 500k of wages per week!

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Im not really bothered if he stays or leaves, but if it means the difference in whether we sign a new striker or not (which it probably does) then I would rather replace him. I like RVP but I feel that our options (other than Rooney) need to give us...well, options. Pace, strength, work rate.... RVP is a clinical finisher but I dont feel that is enough by itself to merit him being here anymore. Even Hernandez can at least add pace to his good finishing. Its also why I wanted to keep Welbeck and/or Hernandez last summer instead of getting Falcao.

To be honest I wouldnt be fussed if we got rid of Rooney as well and went for a new first choice striker, but cant see that happening. My hope is that LVG will buy someone who can at least compete with Rooney though, and potentially displace him in the team (although not if this means Rooney being played in midfield instead..)

Loublaze

ATLien
Beckham, Scholes, Neville, Butt etc etc
I think we're definitely buying a quality forward. I know LVG trusts youth but Wilson is too big a gamble IMO. LVG will take a lot of criticism if the kid doesn't step up.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It will be a sad way to finish his time at Utd

I would prefer the club to give him a chance. If we could keep him fit he will get goals.

ravi2

It will be a sad way to finish his time at Utd

I would prefer the club to give him a chance. If we could keep him fit he will get goals.
The sadder way for him to end his time at mufc would be to ride the bench for his final season. I don't see him displacing Rooney up top so he either has to be content with backup ST or leave the the club.
With the euros next year I think he would want to be playing regularly.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Has anything actually happened? Or is this just speculation at this point?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I like the bloke, but I'm genuinely happy to see him go.

If he knew then what he knows now, do you think he would have still made the move from Arsenal? He's obviously ecstatic that he managed to get one title win under his belt, but was it worth throwing away what could have become a great legacy, probably legendary status at Arsenal? I would probably be regretting making the move now.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I like the bloke, but I'm genuinely happy to see him go.

If he knew then what he knows now, do you think he would have still made the move from Arsenal? He's obviously ecstatic that he managed to get one title win under his belt, but was it worth throwing away what could have become a great legacy, probably legendary status at Arsenal? I would probably be regretting making the move now.
I wouldn't have regretted it at all. His premier league trophy with us more than makes up for that, especially since he wasn't a passenger willing to play a small part to get a medal, but rather the main reason we won it.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I wouldn't have regretted it at all. His premier league trophy with us more than makes up for that, especially since he wasn't a passenger willing to play a small part to get a medal, but rather the main reason we won it.
That's fair. I was thinking along the lines of, would I trade 1 title win but no legacy to speak of at any club for no title win (Arsenal have won 2 FA cups while he's been here) but a possible long-lasting legacy and be worshiped by a fanbase long, long after I've retired? Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but if I knew it would only be 1 title here, I don't think I would have made that trade.

Hitchcocker

That's fair. I was thinking along the lines of, would I trade 1 title win but no legacy to speak of at any club for no title win (Arsenal have won 2 FA cups while he's been here) but a possible long-lasting legacy and be worshiped by a fanbase long, long after I've retired? Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but if I knew it would only be 1 title here, I don't think I would have made that trade.
This. Feel a bit sorry for him, as this was clearly not what he signed up for.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Well I, for one, am loving it! Hope he goes to Fenerbahce. No disrespect to Fenerbahce's fans but it'll be a great case of how the mighty have fallen!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
http://www.thesportbible.com/articl...-social-media-ahead-of-his-move-to-fenerbahce

Funny reading tweets from bitter Arsenal fans forgetting that he won the Premier League.
In fairness, I'd expect that from them. I think I'd behave in the same way if the shoe was on the other foot.

I did have a chuckle at the bloke who asked which Arsenal player had won a title and someone answered "Petr Cech". Are the trophies Cech won with Chelsea a source of pride for Arsenal fans now? :lol:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Van Persie is ace and always talks well. He's possible he could do a job still but our movement at times last season, we so bad. I understand he would want to play in a big tournament but I think to reach his best, it would be better for him to get rests during the season but maybe he wants to play week in week out. It's a pity we didn't sign him earlier and Sir Alex retiring but if he leaves, he can leave with the respect of the support. If he stays, they would support him also since he's a model professional. Of course I mean in the sense he's a handsome guy and many are gay for him. I think the club want to introduce some 'freshness' into the team. Some legs. So I think it will happen. Best of luck Robin.

lalloyd

Hasn't pulled his weight for a while, doesn't deserve a place in the team. Too old, too injury prone, not what we need looking to the future. Will be glad to see him go.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He's still got plenty to offer here, aslong as he's not lumped up top with a past it crock Falcao alongside him he should thrive more with more space and more creativity supplying him. Rooney and RVP should rotate as our strikers with Wilson getting minutes here and there. They are both of about the same level now. RVP can easily still bag 15 goals next year with all the games we'll hopefully have (CL, cups)

Fener1907

I reckon most would say they same

Gala are current champs and have won the league the most, and have the best record in Europe

Sorry :)
Gosh darn it, that's a checkmate if ever I saw one!

I'm still waiting for the Turkish government to buy a new ground for us and let us incur hundreds of millions in debt and keep buying players. Eh. What can you do.

dinners85

I know little about Turkish football but I assumed Galatasaray were the biggest team.

I reckon most would say they same

Gala are current champs and have won the league the most, and have the best record in Europe

Sorry :)
Playing devils advocate - we (United) claimed to be the 'biggest team in England back in the day when all your points mentioned were relevant to Liverpool.

Fener1907

I know little about Turkish football but I assumed Galatasaray were the biggest team.

Playing devils advocate - we (United) claimed to be the 'biggest team in England back in the day when all your points mentioned were relevant to Liverpool.
Probably because of how loud they are. They annually celebrate their UEFA Cup win, and I don't mean posting a YouTube video on a forum and getting nostalgic, I mean celebrating it as if they've actually won it again. Small time. I remember how they even went and stabbed a Fener fan in Istanbul after they won the title. Not sure what else to expect from the government's club.

Your point about Liverpool is a fair one, but I'm not going there because I was a United fan long before I even knew about Fener.

Anyway, van Persie still hasn't signed, and I'm wondering why it's taking Kuyt so long to convince him (he's left us, but he can still put in a good word).

Rake

Speculations circulating that he actually asked for money in order to sign for Fenerbahche. Sum in the region of GBP10-12 mil being quoted which is probably BS since he gets around 10 million per season

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
Fenerbahche are linked to the market, they need to confirm wether they bid or not for van Persie. As long as they don't mention it, there hasn't been a bid.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Probably because of how loud they are. They annually celebrate their UEFA Cup win, and I don't mean posting a YouTube video on a forum and getting nostalgic, I mean celebrating it as if they've actually won it again. Small time. I remember how they even went and stabbed a Fener fan in Istanbul after they won the title. Not sure what else to expect from the government's club.

Your point about Liverpool is a fair one, but I'm not going there because I was a United fan long before I even knew about Fener.

Anyway, van Persie still hasn't signed, and I'm wondering why it's taking Kuyt so long to convince him (he's left us, but he can still put in a good word).
Wow :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.