SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

SiRed

Stick your tier 3 up your ass you absolute cretins. feck off.

If London hadn’t gone into tier 3 we’d have come into tier 2. Typical fecking horrible elitist Tory cnuts. feck off
Agreed. Makes no odds to me anymore. Im doing what i want. Ill still wear a mask and all that jazz. But i will be visiting family without a second thought from now on. Tamesides rate of infection is one of the lowest in GM. Absolutley no reason for me to be a prisoner in my own home anymore.

To be honest, i live a very dull life. There is not a lot of difference between my normal life and tier 3 life. I just want to see family again. and i will be doing.

massi83

Uruguay’s a new one to me. What’s been the secret of their success?
Normal stuff. Test and trace, closing borders (arg and bra are among worst neighbours to have), not accepting failure. Although seems like their cases are rising fast this month, hadn't checked for a while. But still only about 100 death with population of 3.5m.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I’m starting to get the impression that the one and only thing the Italian government has done well this pandemic is fooling everyone into thinking they’re doing a great job. I know I’m getting repetitive here but I find it so weird to keep reading praise for the Italian handling of the pandemic when they’ve managed to combine some of the most draconic forced social distancing measures in Europe with the highest death rate. In the first and second wave. Something doesn’t add up!
No, it’s not that. I’m not praising the response.

I’m acknowledging the sheer shock factor over a truly disjointed government getting a wild populace singing from the same song sheet.

I love Italy. People, culture, country. Naples is one of my favourite places on the planet.

But I couldn’t possibly see that country getting it together the way it has. The togetherness. Not really talking to the Death toll.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
That's pretty similar to the UK - 29,000 in +85s and 23,000 in 75-84. And there's also strong link between deprivation and numbers of deaths in the UK. So I don't see that there's anything unique about the Italian situation.

I have to agree with Pogue here - I don't see that Italy have much to be proud of.
Well, we spent a month back in the UK in September. It was as if the pandemic had never happened, which made me quite fearful. I feel much safer here and I have more confidence in the Italian government than I do in Johnson and his pals.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Actually quite surprised that Boris hasn’t used Manchester as a political pawn again.

“Tiers work. Manchester was in 3, it’s now in 2 for two weeks”

Seems like an easy win. cnuty to the extreme but that’s what these people do.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Totally agree. Europe as a whole has just accepted and normalised failure for some reason. Great countries are the likes of Taiwan, Vietnam and NZ. Then there are good countries like Japan, Uruguay and maybe Norway (probably just average not good). Almost all of Europe has totally failed, Italy being one of the worst.
I seem to remember reading something along the lines of Japan doing better in spite of the Government and am I correct that Japan have only tested in clusters?

There’s actually not much difference between the average age in Italy vs UK and even if we ignore the first wave completely, Italy is doing worse - in terms of covid deaths - than the UK right now and has been for some time. Which makes you wonder how much of their terrible experience during the first wave was about being unprepared and how much was down to whatever factors are causing the same scenario to happen all over again. And let’s not pretend that the UK doesn’t have its own issues of high density population in some of the most deprived areas in the country.

Anyway. Covid as a competitive sport is slightly pathetic and I don’t like the way my inner argumentative twat keeps getting flushed out in discussions like this. I just find it odd the way Italy keeps getting praise in this thread, while the UK keeps getting crucified. From the outside looking in, both countries are standing out as having done particularly badly, throughout this pandemic. Whether that’s through bad government, poor implementation of government guidance by the citizens, or just bad luck is hard to know. I don’t think we ever will know for certain.
That's quite wrong.

Median age is significantly higher, Italy has the highest in Europe whilst only Luxembourg, Iceland and Cyprus have a lower median than the UK.

23% of Italians are over 65, again the highest in Europe, compared to 18% in the UK, which is again among the lowest. The same holds true for over 80s.

Italy will not come out of this covered in glory, but thats quite different to the almost purposeful sabotage going on in the UK.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Well, we spent a month back in the UK in September. It was as if the pandemic had never happened, which made me quite fearful. I feel much safer here and I have more confidence in the Italian government than I do in Johnson and his pals.
Quite right Penna.

People trot out shite like “The additional cost of the pandemic and lockdowns... depression... loneliness... etc”

Then COMPLETELY IGNORE the key principle that is; The UK is a more divided Nation this December than last. Italy is a more unified nation.

Instilling a sense of collective good is healthy for a nation. My friends speak constantly of how they’ve never seen Italy like this. They’ve been back twice this year. They can’t get back for Christmas but they get it. They’re not losing their minds the way British people do over the idea they may miss Christmas.

The UK had that collective spirit for maybe a month of the first faux-lockdown. Community spirit. Neighbours acquainting themselves. Then we set fire to it and started blaming “the other side” for everything again. This country is eating itself alive.

Comparing death tolls is a crass generalisation.

F-Red

Agreed. Makes no odds to me anymore. Im doing what i want. Ill still wear a mask and all that jazz. But i will be visiting family without a second thought from now on. Tamesides rate of infection is one of the lowest in GM. Absolutley no reason for me to be a prisoner in my own home anymore.

To be honest, i live a very dull life. There is not a lot of difference between my normal life and tier 3 life. I just want to see family again. and i will be doing.
This is why it's still in Tier 3, from a Tameside MP as well - https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...anchesters-hospitals-struggling-keep-19455621

Case rate falls can't be looked at in isolation as an answer to the current tier level.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Quite right Penna.

People trot out shite like “The additional cost of the pandemic and lockdowns... depression... loneliness... etc”

Then COMPLETELY IGNORE the key principle that is; The UK is a more divided Nation this December than last. Italy is a more unified nation.

Instilling a sense of collective good is healthy for a nation. My friends speak constantly of how they’ve never seen Italy like this. They’ve been back twice this year. They can’t get back for Christmas but they get it. They’re not losing their minds the way British people do over the idea they may miss Christmas.

The UK had that collective spirit for maybe a month of the first faux-lockdown. Community spirit. Neighbours acquainting themselves. Then we set fire to it and started blaming “the other side” for everything again. This country is eating itself alive.

Quick question, no idea on stats but do you have a feeling that the devolved govts in the UK are doing a better job than England?

UnrelatedPsuedo

Quick question, no idea on stats but do you have a feeling that the devolved govts in the UK are doing a better job than England?
Without question.

I have family in Wales and my best friend relocated from London to family in Inverness in July so I’ve got half an eye on both Those two.

Nobody expects politicians in this environment to get everything right. Bad decisions lead to people dying. It’s ridiculous to pretend this is easy.

But if you want to make unpopular decisions you need to be Transparent, Honest, Explain your reasoning, and be humble enough to admit mistakes. Does any of that sound like Westminster Tories? Even one of them?

I know nothing about Ireland. But the Welsh and Scottish first ministers have Led. It’s that simple.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Without question.

I have family in Wales and my best friend relocated from London to family in Inverness in July so I’ve got half an eye on both Those two.

Nobody expects politicians in this environment to get everything right. Bad decisions lead to people dying. It’s ridiculous to pretend this is easy.

But if you want to make unpopular decisions you need to be Transparent, Honest, Explain your reasoning, and be humble enough to admit mistakes. Does any of that sound like Westminster Tories? Even one of them?

I know nothing about Ireland. But the Welsh and Scottish first ministers have Led. It’s that simple.
There may be a better community spirit in N Ireland, Wales and Scotland but they don’t seem to be doing any better than England. Northern Ireland has been a fecking disaster and is seriously in the shit right now. And you only imagine the crap Boris et al would be getting if this happened in England.

The whole of Europe has been a train wreck, with almost nobody coming out looking well. Goes without saying that the faffing of BoJo has made a bad situation worse but it’s incredibly difficult to come up with a country anywhere nearby that has done any better. Arguably (the republic of) Ireland but I think our reckoning is due in January, judging by the crowd scenes in town these last couple of weeks.

massi83

I seem to remember reading something along the lines of Japan doing better in spite of the Government and am I correct that Japan have only tested in clusters?
Yes. But it is harder to differentiate between governments actions and that of the people. So I rather look at it as society as a whole.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
I'm trying to imagine what it will be like in two or three months time. Hordes of vaccinated over-65s swanning around freely won't encourage the still-vulnerable to follow any rules themselves, there are plenty that don't as it is. Maybe the virus will just spread freely in the younger population for a while, albeit causing fewer deaths of course. People protecting themselves as best they can, or not, as they choose. Then again I'm no nostrodamus.
Quite right Penna.

You're right that there was a change after about a month, and I don't care how simplistic it sounds but the biggest reason for that was the Cummings incident. Even now I hear it mentioned quite often. It immediately became one rule for us and one rule for them, the privileged. It could have been so different had Johnson sacked him and the police fined him a few quid.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Yes. But it is harder to differentiate between governments actions and that of the people. So I rather look at it as society as a whole.
Yeah, very useful.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
There may be a better community spirit in N Ireland, Wales and Scotland but they don’t seem to be doing any better than England. Northern Ireland has been a fecking disaster and is seriously in the shit right now. And you only imagine the crap Boris et al would be getting if this happened in England.

The whole of Europe has been a train wreck, with almost nobody coming out looking well. Goes without saying that the faffing of BoJo has made a bad situation worse but it’s incredibly difficult to come up with a country anywhere nearby that has done any better. Arguably (the republic of) Ireland but I think our reckoning is due in January, judging by the crowd scenes in town these last couple of weeks.
It depends who you ask.

The people in the south of Italy certainly don't think this has been a shining moment of national unity. The same people that talk about this beautiful moment of unity and collective spirit in Italy also say that the south might as well be considered a different country. It's the very definition of a divided nation. We are just hearing from the part of the nation that isn't feeling the brunt of it right now, and isn't feeling the worst effects.

Same in NI. My mum and her wider family are talking about how this is a moment to cherish the community spirit. They are tucked away in their warm homes keeping safe and just imagining a brighter future, because what else can you do. Meanwhile my cousin's in Antrim hospital despairing at the mess to deal with while still seeing people walking around without masks in shops. We like to hear stories about where the grass is greener and generalise, because the idea that this level of pain and distrust is commonplace is inconceivable. We want to pretend this isn't the norm. So we jump on the anecdotes that confirm our views and overlook the rest.

TheReligion

Abusive
What’s the point of all this intense UK Government and media discussion on what will and won’t be allowed over XMAS when whatever is decided won’t be policed or legally enforced anyway?
This is the biggest issue imo. There’s literally no enforcement. It’s embarrassing.
How do you both suggest it's enforced differently?

Simply has to be led by self policing and discipline.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
How do you both suggest it's enforced differently?

Simply has to be led by self policing and discipline.
You could put curfews in place, ban travel over the Xmas period unless you can prove its for work, stop and searches on trains motorways...

Not saying it should be done, but if the government wanted to it would be fairly doable!

NinjaFletch

Tier 3, baby.

I think I have to now talk about how I have to cough on my grandparents as a feck you to the London centric central government now, don't I?

Classical Mechanic

Brwned

Also a NI hospitality lobbying group blowing up the fallacy that a harsher lockdown does more damage to businesses in the long-run.

BBC said:
"I think we can all see the situation at our hospitals," he said. "We need to go back to what we did in March and April."

Earlier, Mr Neill accepted a lockdown would have a big impact on the hospitality sector but added "what is worse is opening and closing all the time" .

"Every time you have to reopen costs a lot of money and every time you have to close costs a lot of money because of wastage," he told BBC's Stephen Nolan Show.

"If we are going for lockdown, then we will support a total lockdown until we get this thing under control," he said.

hurstafus

I'm not quite sure how you've come to this as a solid conclusion. Given that it's been deemed too risky to move GM down to Tier 2, I don't think thats a signal to engage in more activities that could potential lead to further spreading. The whole point of the tier system isn't to control what you do, it's to limit the potential spread routes of the virus (arguments of whether they're cutting the correct routes could be had). I understand it's frustrating. Particularly to those who work in hospitality or are reliant on the industry. As an individual you can make your own decisions, but I would plead with you to stick by the rules and guidance as much as you can do. The best way to get out of this is by a collective approach. The virus spreads via contact. It's not in any way possible to ban all contact so we've had to make difficult decisions on what is and isn't appropriate. Yes it's infuriating to see some blatent disregard for rules. Yes it's upsetting that we can't see friends and family. Unfortunately, the virus doesn't care how we feel. You are free to make your own decisions, but please try to do as much as you possibly can to limit the spread of the virus.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

djembatheking

Wales is no better than England , my grandson had to wait 2 weeks for a scan as the whole department were isolating because of covid , I have been waiting for over 6 months for an appointment with vascular dept for a clot in my leg , just been put on aspirin and told to wait even though my leg seizes up when walking up hills , meanwhile people are ignoring all regulations and just doing what they want . My neighbours family travel here from Preston every feckin weekend and did so during England last lockdown cos they could go out in Wales. I also look after in laws in their 80s who haven`t been out since March so got used to it now, just keep ourselves to ourselves .

Brwned

Another study, this time in England, suggesting schools don't play a big role in transmission.

Covid cases in schools reflect virus levels in the local community, a study of 100 schools across England suggests.

In tests on nearly 10,000 staff and pupils in November, 1.24% of pupils and 1.29% of staff tested positive for coronavirus in schools.

This is a combined analysis from Public Health England, Office for National Statistics and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

The researchers suggest school closures have only a temporary effect on cases.

And they add driving down infections in wider society is the best way to keep schools open and safe.

The Schools Infection Survey will continue to track cases and transmission in schools over the coming months.

The first round of results are based on tests of more than 6,000 pupils and nearly 5,000 staff from 105 schools - 63 secondary and 42 primary - in areas of England where the virus was spreading quickly at the start of the school year.

Children and staff had to be in school to be given a nasal swab test, and so are unlikely to have had symptoms.

The survey found a higher percentage of staff and pupils testing positive for the virus in secondary schools than primary schools - around 1.47% compared to around 0.8%.

Roughly 1.2% of the general population is estimated to have had the coronavirus during the same period, according to the ONS.

Dr Shamez Ladhani, the study's chief investigator and a consultant at Public Health England, said: "While there is still more research to be done, these results appear to show that the rate of infection among students and staff attending school closely mirrors what's happening outside the school gates.

"That's why we all need to take responsibility for driving infections down if we want to keep schools open and safe for our children."

The researchers are trying to find out more about the role of schools in the spread of the virus - something that has been a challenge so far.

The key is to discover whether infections are more likely to be brought into school from outside, or are starting in school and moving into households in the community.

Data from PHE so far suggests infections in school year groups are being introduced from different sources rather than being spread between pupils in schools, but genetic analysis of virus strains is needed to confirm this, Dr Ladhani says.

hurstafus

Wales is no better than England , my grandson had to wait 2 weeks for a scan as the whole department were isolating because of covid , I have been waiting for over 6 months for an appointment with vascular dept for a clot in my leg , just been put on aspirin and told to wait even though my leg seizes up when walking up hills , meanwhile people are ignoring all regulations and just doing what they want . My neighbours family travel here from Preston every feckin weekend and did so during England last lockdown cos they could go out in Wales. I also look after in laws in their 80s who haven`t been out since March so got used to it now, just keep ourselves to ourselves .
That must be incredibly frustrating for you. I hope that you can get your appointment soon :)

acnumber9

Another study, this time in England, suggesting schools don't play a big role in transmission.
I don’t really want to get back into the long back and forths about this again but I don’t see how you can come to that conclusion when it explicitly says the rate is higher in secondary schools than it is in the general population.

hurstafus

Couldn't this also be taken as an argument that rates in schools and in the wider community are intrinsically linked given the similarity? The conclusions appear to be that there is transmission in an educational setting, but it largely mirrors the transmission in the community at the same time, whilst being non-committal on whether schools or the general community is driving that.

Brwned

I don’t really want to get back into the long back and forths about this again but I don’t see how you can come to that conclusion when it explicitly says the rate is higher in secondary schools than it is in the general population.
It is not my claim but their interpretation. There are more cases among that age group but the evidence suggests it is coming from outside schools as much, if not more than, from within schools. The fact that teenagers are infected a little more often might have more to do with how they live their lives outside the classrooms than within it, and they haven't found evidence suggesting classrooms accelerate it, which is why they don't think school closures would have a significant long-term effect on the spread.
"Data from PHE so far suggests infections in school year groups are being introduced from different sources rather than being spread between pupils in schools, but genetic analysis of virus strains is needed to confirm this, Dr Ladhani says.

The researchers suggest school closures have only a temporary effect on cases.

And they add driving down infections in wider society is the best way to keep schools open and safe.
Couldn't this also be taken as an argument that rates in schools and in the wider community are intrinsically linked given the similarity? The conclusions appear to be that there is transmission in an educational setting, but it largely mirrors the transmission in the community at the same time, whilst being non-committal on whether schools or the general community is driving that.
I would say they're a bit more than non-commital on it. They say the data so far suggests that it is being introduced from different sources, but they don't have the genetic evidence to confirm that, and the data from PHE on contact tracing is very patchy. They definitely lean one way. Although it's fair to question whether that leaning is influenced more by bias than the noisy signals they're getting from the data.

djembatheking

That must be incredibly frustrating for you. I hope that you can get your appointment soon :)
It is frustrating but you have to just go with it , our hospital in North Wales has very limited services and the only way to get my grandson sorted was through the specialist that he is under in Alder Hey , he ended up getting involved and he has since had his EEG scan and been prescribed medicine but North Wales hospitals take very little to be over run . It is annoying watching everyone taking no notice of the rules because covid won`t do them any harm , it is just selfish and they genuinely don`t care about spreading as they don`t know anyone it affects. Have to just get on with it in the end cos you can`t start arguing with everyone.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
My sister has been getting this for years. It is nothing new.
Yeah I wondering if that had been the case. It's such a small increase that its laughable to called it a bonus.

Also of course the poster who complained about how the tories are treating the north, thinks an extra £10 at Christmas(Along with free school meals)is keeping the ''working man'' down.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah I wondering if that had been the case. It's such a small increase that its laughable to called it a bonus.

Also of course the poster who complained about how the tories are treating the north, thinks an extra £10 at Christmas(Along with free school meals)is keeping the ''working man'' down.
It isn't an increase as such, just that she receives £10 every Christmas. A one off payment.

F-Red

That's not what it suggests though. It says that schools reflect virus levels in the local community, and that they've found it a challenge to find out the role of schools in the spread of the virus.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
It isn't an increase as such, just that she receives £10 every Christmas. A one off payment.
I could be wrong as it's been a long since I've gone home but I'm pretty sure the one off christmas bonus in Ireland is 100% of your normal weekly long-term benefit payment. The welfare system in England is has been totally destroyed.

Brwned

That's not what it suggests though. It says that schools reflect virus levels in the local community, and that they've found it a challenge to find out the role of schools in the spread of the virus.
That isn't what they've said. Saying they need genetic testing to confirm their initial findings is not the same as saying they don't have any findings. Their findings suggest - which is what I said, not confirm - schools don't play a big role in transmission.
"Data from PHE so far suggests infections in school year groups are being introduced from different sources rather than being spread between pupils in schools, but genetic analysis of virus strains is needed to confirm this, Dr Ladhani says.
Which leads them to say closing schools would only have a temporary effect on cases; in other words, these kids would pick it up from somewhere else, as already do, or the behaviour displacement would lead to more cases elsewhere or later. If schools did play a big role in transmission, above and beyond normal routes of transmission, then closing them would have a long-term effect. Their analysis suggests it wouldn't.

Last edited: