5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jig1234

I think he's better than Herrea now. Herrera just shot the ball out of nowhere and crying to ground as if he was hurting after fouled. SMH
I wish we had kept Pereira but Mourinho would never have given him any minutes anyway. But I think Scott is good and we need to try new things. Matic-Herrera are allergic to each other.

deafepl

I wish we had kept Pereira but Mourinho would never have given him any minutes anyway. But I think Scott is good and we need to try new things. Matic-Herrera are allergic to each other.
That what I was thinking, if they didn't work so well together then replace with new midfielders we haven't explored their talent yet and if they turn out to be a very promising player, it could buy us some time until Pogba is back, it can't be bad. Scott played 3 games this season, he didn't disappoint me at all, he's clearly underrated.

red_devil83

He couldn't be any worse than what we're seeing now. Play him in a 3 though, not this stupid 2.

Harry Winks is a kid doing it for Spurs. No reason Scott can't.

Ludens the Red

Herrera out Scott in. Can't be any worse.
Yeah think it's time to properly give him a chance. He has seemed calm on the ball, keeps it short and simple and takes up good positions, basically everything Herrera is not doing at the moment.

Zoo

In 90 minutes against Benfica he probably showed more signs of a working partnership with Matic then Herrera has all season.

Bwuk

Would happily have him in the side instead of Mkhi.

JoaquinJoaquin

Still not convinced whether he will be good enough long term here, but i'd certainly be giving him a few chances at the moment until Pogba gets back. Can't do any worse then Herrera.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Of course final judgement is to be reserved, but I’m still not convinced he’s a special talent at all. I’m all for giving youngsters a chance, but especially as I don’t think it will happen too often under Mourinho, I have a fear that we’ve ‘wasted’ our ‘one youngster to get a chance’ spot on a kid who is by no means our most talented.

I’m all for playing youngsters, and while the debate rages on about whether the likes of Foden, Gomes, Brewster and even Loftus-Cheek will get a proper chance - McTominay doesn’t belong with that sort of group. Tuanzebe does, and I’d like to see him play as much as possible, including in midfield instead of McTominay, where he impressed me last season.

Bwuk

Of course final judgement is to be reserved, but I’m still not convinced he’s a special talent at all. I’m all for giving youngsters a chance, but especially as I don’t think it will happen too often under Mourinho, I have a fear that we’ve ‘wasted’ our ‘one youngster to get a chance’ spot on a kid who is by no means our most talented.

I’m all for playing youngsters, and while the debate rages on about whether the likes of Foden, Gomes, Brewster and even Loftus-Cheek will get a proper chance - McTominay doesn’t belong with that sort of group. Tuanzebe does, and I’d like to see him play as much as possible, including in midfield instead of McTominay, where he impressed me last season.
Maybe your not convinced, but McTominay has started a Champions League game in midfield for United and didn't look out of place at all.

I hope he starts tonight. I'd play him with Pogba and sub Pogba off for Herrera later on in the game.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Maybe your not convinced, but McTominay has started a Champions League game in midfield for United and didn't look out of place at all.

I hope he starts tonight. I'd play him with Pogba and sub Pogba off for Herrera later on in the game.
I think the number of professional footballers who could have featured in that same game, and performed to the same level, all while not being good enough to play for United, is huge.

I expect a young, British midfielder to play with heart under the circumstances, and he did that, chased around and tackled, and kept it tidy when he got it, with a few sloppy moments early on. Certainly not enough for me to say he’s a United player. Tom Cleverley, for example, was better than him.

Bwuk

I think the number of professional footballers who could have featured in that same game, and performed to the same level, all while not being good enough to play for United, is huge.

I expect a young, British midfielder to play with heart under the circumstances, and he did that, chased around and tackled, and kept it tidy when he got it, with a few sloppy moments early on. Certainly not enough for me to say he’s a United player. Tom Cleverley, for example, was better than him.
He done exactly what he needed to do, and we've won in every game he's played for us this season. He's only 20, give him a chance.

Jose clearly sees something in him that he's given him a contract until 2021.

haram

Tuanzebe will get chances as a defender eventually.

Yagami

Good post resistant

I've never rated him highly (saw him a lot for the U23s), and he'll do well to make a career for himself in the top flight because I see him as Championship standard, but credit where it's due - he's not let anyone down in any of his performances yet. I agree in that I'd have preferred a better youngster to be given the game time he's been getting (Tuanzebe, as you said, looked fine as a CM and should be getting more game time than he's currently getting) but you can see why José's sticking with him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He done exactly what he needed to do, and we've won in every game he's played for us this season. He's only 20, give him a chance.

Jose clearly sees something in him that he's given him a contract until 2021.
We’ve won pretty much every game anyone has played for us this season.

He hasn’t let us down, no. If that’s simply what the barometer is, then fair enough.

Smores

"Jose has to play the youth......no not that youth the one I'm hyped about"

It's not rocket science that for most top teams when youth gets a chance its usually based on there being a gap in the first team squad. Its hardly surprising therefore that McTominay is the one who has found minutes.

Bwuk

We’ve won pretty much every game anyone has played for us this season.

He hasn’t let us down, no. If that’s simply what the barometer is, then fair enough.
I'm really not sure what your expecting a 20 year old playing in holding midfield to do then?

haram

'One youngster to get a chance' spot :lol:

Yeah a manager of Mourinho's level really thinks about it like that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
'One youngster to get a chance' spot :lol:

Yeah a manager of Mourinho's level really thinks about it like that.
Given he said something to that effect the other day I would think before I started laughing at others.

haram

Given he said something to that effect the other day I would think before I started laughing at others.
So he isn't playing Tuanzebe because he is giving McTominay games. Right.

Man Utd 2:1 Moscow

kundalini

I thought he had a decent 27 mins despite the booking.

Surprised he's been on the bench so much recently in the PL yet not come on. If he isn't trusted to play then why is he on the bench ? If he is trusted then numerous opportunities (Basel away, Watford at 3-0, CSKA away) to give him 15 - 20 mins have been missed.

Personally, having him on the bench for matches against top 6 teams seems a bit of a leap at this stage. I think it would be unrealistic to expect him to cope with the pressing involved.

Hope he starts against Bristol City in the League Cup and Derby in the FA Cup.

Last edited:

dogwithabone

Few signs tonight that he might be a very useful player in seasons to come. Moved the ball a bit quicker tonight and seemed more confident.

Bwuk

Few signs tonight that he might be a very useful player in seasons to come. Moved the ball a bit quicker tonight and seemed more confident.
Agreed. Think McTominay will be a very good player in a few years.

KetilOwren88

Love the way he outmuscled one of the CSKA-players. Seems confident and moves the ball quickly at least. Darren Fletcher wasn’t exactly shining when he broke trough either. Might get a decent career here.

Reactions: KM

bdecuc

McTominay's a lesson that there's no one road to the first team. You would never have thought he'd would turn into a first team midfielder. Looks decent now any chance he gets.

dogwithabone

Love the way he outmuscled one of the CSKA-players. Seems confident and moves the ball quickly at least. Darren Fletcher wasn’t exactly shining when he broke trough either. Might get a decent career here.

It’s Fletcher who springs to mind when I see McTominay play. As you say Fletcher was mediocre, to say the least, when he first started getting games but once he knew he had the trust of the manager his confidence and performances soared.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
It’s Fletcher who springs to mind when I see McTominay play. As you say Fletcher was mediocre, to say the least, when he first started getting games but once he knew he had the trust of the manager his confidence and performances soared.
Nah Fletcher was a late bloomer, he always had Safs confidence. He just didnt click on till late in his career where he adapted his game to be more of a box to box tough tackler in the middle, rather than beckham-lite.

criticalanalysis

Surprised he's been on the bench so much recently in the PL yet not come on. If he isn't trusted to play then why is he on the bench ? If he is trusted then numerous opportunities (Basel away, Watford at 3-0, CSKA away) to give him 15 - 20 mins have been missed.

Personally, having him on the bench for matches against top 6 teams seems a bit of a leap at this stage. I think it would be unrealistic to expect him to cope with the pressing involved.
He's probably the one youth player on the bench to continue the record. He's tall but got light feet, I'd think he'd love the hustle and bustle of a high press box to box game. Does he possess the technical ability? Who knows as we haven't seen his game enough yet but that doesn't he can't be an effective player. Look at Pogba, brilliant at times tonight but so so poor too. If he keeps to what he knows and forges a role the manager can trust him on, he's got a future.

I think everyone would be pretty happy if he develops just like Fletcher. The kid is a handful athletically yet seems he wants to play on the ground too.

Status
Not open for further replies.