Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

automaticflare

I think he will be a decent player
Maybe a top player for a mid table side or remain with us as a squad option for number of years
No issues with youth players being squaddies at all if they can do a job. He hasn't looked inept in any outing yet so good on the lad

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He's probably the one youth player on the bench to continue the record.
That doesn't make sense. For that record to continue, we need to have either one of Lingard, Rashford or Pogba on the pitch or on the subs bench.

I think this place needs to stop finding new ways to discredit a young player(only in the team because of height or record or because he's a youth player). He's on the bench because Mourinho rates him, it's as simple as that.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I can't understand the low ratings for his performance last night. I thought it was an excellent little cameo, his passing was crisp and incisive and he really got around the pitch. I gave him an 8, he was much better than Pogba last night.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Much better than Pogba last night? Ridiculous! He did fine overall but he was booked for a silly foul and gave the ball away at least once.

vangagal

He's still in learning curve. Not much to do in last game but he keeps midfield tidy albeit his tackle a little to late at time. This season still long, he will get his minutes here and there but i prefer him to go out on loan in 2nd phase this season. It will help him much to gain experience. He seems rusty butunderstandably because Mou just use him if the game was sealed.

He has future here. Like Lingard he's not that full talent but god knows how his future will unfold.

Ashley R1+O

Nice cameo! I think he'll be a solid player when he develops a bit more!

Craig Ward

Much better than Pogba last night? Ridiculous! He did fine overall but he was booked for a silly foul and gave the ball away at least once.
At least once? Heaven forbid! Every single player is guilty of giving the ball away cheaply, more so with a CM.

He wasn't on the pitch long enough to be considered better than pogba last night, but he done well. Good forward passes, good composure on the ball.

I'd pick him against city, Herrera has been off this year, and this lad looks hungry

meamth

Our own Eric Dier, why not? He can be a player of that level, at the very least.

Toad

I just can't see anything 'special' about him, but I think he can make it to be a good reliable squad player.

Bwuk

I just can't see anything 'special' about him, but I think he can make it to be a good reliable squad player.
Did you see anything special about Fletcher?

Because thats the sort of player McTominay will develop into imo.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
At least once? Heaven forbid! Every single player is guilty of giving the ball away cheaply, more so with a CM.

He wasn't on the pitch long enough to be considered better than pogba last night, but he done well. Good forward passes, good composure on the ball.

I'd pick him against city, Herrera has been off this year, and this lad looks hungry
Herrera has been mostly out of the team, I think he just looks a little ring rusty - some signs last night and in other recent games that his form is returning (see also Mata). I would pick him over McTominay for City, but maybe only if Fellaini can't make it. Herrera could also man mark De Bruyne if we choose to use that tactic.

I like McTominay and he has definitely done ok in his outings so far, but it is too soon to judge if he really has what it takes.

Dobbs

Always interesting to see which youth players get a shot and those that don't.

Anybody whose watched the U23's over the last few years will tell you Sean Goss(has he done anything since moving?) has more ability than McTominay but it's the latter who gets a chance. An example of football favouring physicality over technique? I can't really think why in this instance one has left and one is getting 1st team opportunities.

This isn't a criticism of McTominay by the way. Really glad he's getting a chance.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Always interesting to see which youth players get a shot and those that don't.

Anybody whose watched the U23's over the last few years will tell you Sean Goss(has he done anything since moving?) has more ability than McTominay but it's the latter who gets a chance. An example of football favouring physicality over technique? I can't really think why in this instance one has left and one is getting 1st team opportunities.

This isn't a criticism of McTominay by the way. Really glad he's getting a chance.
Tbf Goss never really did anything at u23s level either. He was injured most of the time. Pearson and Rothwell are the last CMs in the u21s to really impress for me.

Dobbs

Tbf Goss never really did anything at u23s level either. He was injured most of the time. Pearson and Rothwell are the last CMs in the u21s to really impress for me.
Yeah I'm not arguing Goss would have made it here or that is he amazing or anything. But he's a better player than McTominay.

Agree on Pearson and Rothwell. They probably wouldn't have made it here either but again they don't get a chance while other lesser players do. Our U23 to first team route has been an odd thing for a while.

You never get this insight but I'd like to hear from Mourinho or staff at the club as to why the lesser talented player gets the opportunity.

el3mel

He'll be a decent and reliable squad player here. Has good composure on the ball and a good physical presence in the middle of the park as well. He's not some kind of special player that creates things out of nothing but he's capable of holding the ball well in the midfield, calming down the game and doing good defensive work due to his physicality.

JoaquinJoaquin

Personally I can't see him being at the club in 3 years time. We will have Pereira and a new CM most likely sign in Summer (if Fellaini leaves), so I can't see how he progresses here.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I can't understand the low ratings for his performance last night. I thought it was an excellent little cameo, his passing was crisp and incisive and he really got around the pitch. I gave him an 8, he was much better than Pogba last night.
Just not true.

Swift Football

He has done fairly okay so far, but I have not seen anything special from him to suggest he can make it here. I think he should remain with us and develop his game little more and then switch to mid table club where he would be right fit. I would be happy to see a United academy graduate playing successfully in any PL club.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah I'm not arguing Goss would have made it here or that is he amazing or anything. But he's a better player than McTominay.

Agree on Pearson and Rothwell. They probably wouldn't have made it here either but again they don't get a chance while other lesser players do. Our U23 to first team route has been an odd thing for a while.

You never get this insight but I'd like to hear from Mourinho or staff at the club as to why the lesser talented player gets the opportunity.
Don't you think the most likely explanation is that they have a better eye than us fans for spotting who is really the less talented players?

I'm sure it's mainly to do with this "ceiling" stuff that wannabe scouts shit on about on here all the time. I know for a fact I would be fairly clueless when it comes to accurately predicting how good a youngster could potentially become but I'm willing to bet the club staff have a reasonable idea. So they might fast-track kids who they see as having the most potential, even though other kids might look like a more complete player at the time.

Dante

Average bang
His awareness of what's going on on the pitch is excellent. For a midfielder to have that so young is fairly rare.

But then I think a large swathe of this forum struggles to identify football intelligence, despite loving to bring it up every two minutes.

Dobbs

Don't you think the most likely explanation is that they have a better eye than us fans for spotting who is really the less talented players?

I'm sure it's mainly to do with this "ceiling" stuff that wannabe scouts shit on about on here all the time. I know for a fact I would be fairly clueless when it comes to accurately predicting how good a youngster could potentially become but I'm willing to bet the club staff have a reasonable idea. So they might fast-track kids who they see as having the most potential, even though other kids might look like a more complete player at the time.
Yeah possibly. Hadn't thought of the ceiling stuff. Though I'm not sure I fully buy into it.

I always think the beauty of football is it's simplicity. Spotting talent or being able to see who is better than who is pretty straightforward most of the time.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
There are no comparisons to be made with Fletcher if you look at the same points of their careers. At age 20 Fletcher was a completely different player to what he became and a completely different player to Mctominay. Not to mention rated higher.

Just let him do what hes doing and avoid baseless comparisons.

criticalanalysis

Umm, think you're forgetting about a few players.
That doesn't make sense. For that record to continue, we need to have either one of Lingard, Rashford or Pogba on the pitch or on the subs bench.

I think this place needs to stop finding new ways to discredit a young player(only in the team because of height or record or because he's a youth player). He's on the bench because Mourinho rates him, it's as simple as that.
Not really, we have plenty of first team academy players.
We had 4 on the pitch yesterday.

I like McTominay, always nice to see academy players doing well.
Fecking hell, I had a major brain fart last night :lol:

But yeah wouldn't mind seeing more of him in the Cup competitions, after Fletch left, we miss some Scottish blood in the team.

NotQuiteManc

Decent player, nothing special but at least playing in the UCL didn't faze him too much. Could be a really useful squad player, which is not a bad thing considering Miki is totally out of the picture (as of today).

AkaAkuma

Fecking hell, I had a major brain fart last night :lol:

But yeah wouldn't mind seeing more of him in the Cup competitions, after Fletch left, we miss some Scottish blood in the team.
Born in Lancaster and seems to be backing out of his previous commitment to Scotland by saying he wants to focus on his united career before an international career.

EliBar

Potential to be at least backup DM for us.

His defense awareness and his ability to spot and track player that try to move to danger position between the defense line to midfielder line, it is the best we have after Matić.

Combine that with his physical attribute and his decent passing and it is easy to see what Mourinho seeing in him.

criticalanalysis

Born in Lancaster and seems to be backing out of his previous commitment to Scotland by saying he wants to focus on his united career before an international career.
If he gets consistent minutes the whole year, I wouldn't be surprised if Fletcher gives him a ring and talk. Probably wouldn't mind playing with him in midfield.

yo@Kirk

I think McTominay could move back one more line and be a good ball playing CB in a back 3. Seems pretty smart and composed. Not lacking in physical abilities. Accurate passer. I don't think he would look out of place in a back 3.

Growing from 5'6" to 6'4" between the start of the 2015 season and now means Scott's development as a Man Utd player is basically starting over. Mourinho seems to like him, so Scott's got that going for him.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Did he play as a DM against Moscow?

Would be great to have homegrown rotation for Matic.

IAmAWinner

Deservedly starting ahead of Herrera. I hope he does well, I really like him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Putting the "Jose neglects youth players to bed". He's getting game time.

Bwuk

Think he'll play well again tonight but you'll get people on he questioning what he does.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Putting the "Jose neglects youth players to bed". He's getting game time.
Its more necessity than a genuine need to play youth. If Fellaini was fit and Herrera wasn't sucking balls he wouldn't be getting game time. Jose is still riding Matic like a rented mule.

Status
Not open for further replies.