5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoaquinJoaquin

Like most players: the sort of performance that would be widely slated if we had lost. Now that we have won, and most people are not too angry, this thread will be largely positive.

I mean, it was a reasonable performance irrespective. He's not good enough to be starting for us, I doubt he ever will be and he shouldn't have been playing ahead of Pogba. But other than that (sorry), he has some good qualities that will serve him well going forward.
Good post, sums my feelings up exactly.

Art

Art the artist
Can be a useful squad player for us in the coming years unless he magically gains ability on the ball. The way he controls a pass and go is almost Smalling-esque.

criticalanalysis

For him a really good game. For Utd, a decent game.

You can't expect much more from a double pivot midfielder.

The issue isn't whether Matic or Scott played well though, it's how to get the best out of Pogba and our team i.e JUST PLAY FECKING 3 proper midfielders.

Devil may care

Clearly under instructions to pass it to Valencia every time he got it, showed resiliance when getting hit.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Pogba was dropped for not being disciplined enough. Of course McTominay was going to come in and stick to exactly what Mourinho had asked.

What do people expect? He's just seen one of the best players in the squad dropped for not sticking to instructions and people on here expect him to go out and start spraying the ball around and breaking forward.

SirAF

Ageist
I agree, can see him being a useful squad member for years to come.
Absolutely. I'm a great believer that United should try to use their youth players as squad players as much as possible - it would retain that local connection and at the same time let them spend more money on top players who are going to be starters.

How much for a McTominay in todays market?

engulfing

Very good performance today. Did everything mou wanted him to do. In time he can become our casimiro. Every team needs one.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
This was a TC23 performance all over really. Recycling possession and not much else.
Possession wise he looks very average. Physically though, he looks a unit and we could use him to pull off defensive roles I reckon. Clverley had nothing to offer, this lad might be able to offer something. Not guaranteed though but wouldn't write him off yet.

Dion

First time I've watched him play and thought he impacted the game in a meaningful way. Still not convinced at all, but he's certainly growing into the squad. Big advantage over Cleverley etc. is that he can compete physically.

AR87

I like that he's not shy about going in for challenges. That kind of attitude was sorely missing in the beatdown at Wembley. Solid performance for him. He should get more chances in time.

I think he's better in a 3 where he's more of a roaming all action type than when he plays deeper as a pure DM in a 4-2-3-1.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Took awhile to get going but played well in the end. Was clearly under instruction to sit in the double pivot, which maybe held him back early doors. As his confidence grew he got better though.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think him not being Perreira lies behind a lot of the hate.

Noticed that even the youth team watchers seem to want youth played, but usually when it's one of their favourites. Which is a bit silly.
No more so than him being a youngster from our youth set up is a reason for his praise. It seems like some are desperate to praise him. If any other player was so limited in a performance, they would be (rightly) criticised. As a previous poster has said, if he put in these kinds of performances at Stoke or West Ham, there wouldn't be a single person on here who would want us to sign him up. He doesn't excel at anything, and at this level, it's a requirement.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I see another cleverley in him. Nothing special, decent performance, lots of running. I hope i am wrong here

Festive Sandvich

How does he compare to the current crop of academy midfielders, and with the admission that he's probably not going to set the world on fire, would the minutes he's getting in rotation be better used on someone else? Don't get me wrong, don't think he's a bad player, but first team minutes are gold dust.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I see another cleverley in him. Nothing special, decent performance, lots of running. I hope i am wrong here
I don't. I see a sensible player learning very quickly. He'll have a future here. And he'll probably not trademark his persona.

worldinmotion66

I like him. He's already got more maturity and discipline than Pogba. He's also got a bit of bravery about him, his size will help, but also he seems to have a decent engine.

People expect far too much from inexperienced players, it takes time for most to develop but I think he has every chance of making it at this level

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Defensively he was good. Matic bombed forward and McTominay sat deep, he won few duels too.

Also he was fouled a lot, probably after Sanchez he was fouled more than any player.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Look, if him playing makes sure that Pogba plays in his best position then it's worth it. Plus he did well.

People have made a pre-conceived notion against him and are sticking to it.

poleglass red

Can be a useful squad player for us in the coming years unless he magically gains ability on the ball. The way he controls a pass and go is almost Smalling-esque.
He's exactly the type of player we need in the mid when we play top 4. Him in a 3 with pogba n matic. His passing is exactly what it needs to be, crisp and easy.not every player has to play Hollywood passes. A mid who puts himself about n covers matic was what we were crying out for v spurs.is he the long term answer, maybe not but he'll do for now.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Perfect player to play against side like Hudders.

Pogba got some rest and not too shabby when it comes to working with Nemanja.

diplomat

I really like McTominay, no-nonsense midfielder, good work-rate for 90 minutes and gets stuck in where most wouldn't.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So why would we have two mids doing the same thing?
That's manager's choice. Could be because Matic need fresher leg helping him, or Mou thought that with two DM, our fullbacks can be more attacking, etc. The main point is, McTom was doing what he supposed to do /instructed to do very well.

RedCurry

He started today for the right reasons. It sends a message that no player is undroppable. I was hoping that Mourinho does exactly that. SAF used to do the same thing. Youth players are important for exactly this reason.

FujiVice

Going to get better as the years go on. Got bags of potentially this lad.

Hoof the ball

I point out earlier that he's made more forward passes in CM than the others and I'm met with responses of "he only passes sideways", and "why isn't he passing forward?"

some statistician points out that he's made majority forward passes. Response? "Oh well, but, but but, everyone's behind the ball"

Agenda, agenda, agenda.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think he played well. Gave us balance, especially when Pogba came on.

Idxomer

Defensively he's as average as they come, he watches the ball way too much and doesn't use his physical attributes as much as he could. Today he didn't get tested, so that weakness wasn't exploited, he could easily improve in that regard though.

In possession he does the basics right albeit in a slightly slow tempo due to his technique, and really shines when the team moves the ball quickly, but we play static football most of the time and he's not someone who could spot a pass or get the team moving by dribbling like Pogba when he's in the mood.

Sylar

He did well. Not sure how he didnt end up with a concussion (or a penalty but then the ref had a bit of a stinker).
He keeps the ball moving and sometimes its needed against lower teams.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Played well and knows how to play that role better then most midfielders we have. Nothing special as a player, but he seems mature on the pitch, and most importantly, understands we need balance. Also looks forward often enough so it's not like he's just handing the ball off. The way forward for us is obviously a 4-3-3, and he can play that 2nd midfielder role to give Pogba more balanced, though obviously he shouldn't be starting all the time. Since we aren't blessed with options though, then he should get more minutes probably after showing today he can handle it.

Also Huddersfield were disgusting in how they targetted him

Status
Not open for further replies.