g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Scott McTominay image 39

Scott McTominay Scotland flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ash_86

He's impressed me everytime i see him play. He is very mature, calm and composed on the ball which is very reassuring to see for a young player. Maybe it's too early for him , but his composure on the ball, passing reminds me of Carrick. I'm ready to go out on limb and say that him with Pogba and Matic is better balance than Herrera. Huddlesfield thugs gave him a torrid time last week. He brushed it aside like nothing happened and moved on with his game.

Andersons Dietician

I mean kinda feel that was more Sir Alex telling him to sort out the nationality issue and declare for Scotland. Propbably trying to get Jose involved on that as well other than telling Jose to play him more when he’s played quite often. Just a thought.

He was good last game and I thought awful the previous one but good on him.

fergieisold

He will suffer the same fate as Lingard and to some extent Carrick. Because he is not flashy people will ignore how good he has been in what he does. You can’t have a midfield full of Pogbas or an attack full of players like Sanchez. You need player like McTominay to do the simple and keep things flowing. He reminds a lot of carrick.
It was good seeing him live against Huddersfield - I remember thinking how far ahead of Pogba he is with his discipline. When Pogba came on he was as he is quite often, all over the place!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fergie (and Jose) would of definitely been impressed the way he got flattened twice and didn't make any fuss, just cracked on like it didn't happen. That takes guts and courage, especially at his age. He's definitely got the right mentality that's for sure.

Newcastle 1:0 Man Utd

Festive Sandvich

Our best academy midfielders are pretty young but the best are very technically gifted, the one most similar to McTominay in our academy at the moment is probably Hamilton but our best crop probably won't be anywhere near the first team for a few seasons.
Cheers. Best hope then maybe is to see McTominay find an extra gear or two with the opportunities he'll get over remainder of this season.

NinjaFletch

Not sure what he offers coming on when we're chasing a game?
Height to sling a ball to. Not the most elegant plan, but we had feck all attacking talent on the bench so not a lot of choice.

Hilarious to consider that only recently Mourinho said we didn't need to add another attacker and then we have a bench with only one attacking player on it.

engulfing

He was horrible today, doesn't have enough quality to be playing in the final third. Mourinho obviously wanted him to do a Fellaini but other than height he doesn't have any other similar attributes.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He was horrible today, doesn't have enough quality to be playing in the final third. Mourinho obviously wanted him to do a Fellaini but other than height he doesn't have any other similar attributes.
Because he wasn't able to play 3 yard passes under no pressure today. He had to impose himself on the game

RonaldoVII

Lingard had gone off already I thought? Mata came on for him.
Yes but Jose should've had the foresight to know what his 3rd sub was likely to be. McTominay for height wasn't likely to work. Would've stuck Lindelof up front before that or put Matic at CB and taken Jones off or something.

haram

Yes but Jose should've had the foresight to know what his 3rd sub was likely to be. McTominay for height wasn't likely to work. Would've stuck Lindelof up front before that or put Matic at CB and taken Jones off or something.
Perhaps. I don't think it makes much difference anyway.

Acole9

Outstanding
I thought he was alright, he's not particularly gifted but he works hard and does what he's told. Considering Carrick and Mata had already been used he was the next obvious one to bring on otherwise it would've been a defender.

JoaquinJoaquin

Done what he could considering the circumstances but not the guy you turn to when chasing the game, if in fact at all. Today this sub highlighted just how much we are in need of 2 CM players this summer

Loublaze

ATLien
Done what he could considering the circumstances but not the guy you turn to when chasing the game, if in fact at all. Today this sub highlighted just how much we are in need of 2 CM players this summer
I felt at that point that Mourinho had given up. We sorely need more depth in midfield.

SuperiorXI

I don't think this guy gets enough credit on here. He comes in and does his job well, I hope he starts today and has a good game. Always good to see an academy player doing well.

Highfather_24

Do you guys think he is ready to replace Carrick in the first team, or that we need to bring another guy in?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Will be to interesting to see what his role is today. Hoping he does well and earns more starts, he could give the midfield more balance overall.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Do you guys think he is ready to replace Carrick in the first team, or that we need to bring another guy in?
Not yet, a couple years away from that imo.

Carrick was 23 before he made any appearances for Spurs, he was out on loan before then. McTominay only turned 21 in December, so there shouldn’t be too much pressure and expectancy for him to fill carricks boots yet.

acnumber9

Not yet, a couple years away from that imo.

Carrick was 23 before he made any appearances for Spurs, he was out on loan before then. McTominay only turned 21 in December, so there shouldn’t be too much pressure and expectancy for him to fill carricks boots yet.
Carrick was 23 when he signed for Spurs. Before that he was in West Ham’s first team from the age of 19.

JoaquinJoaquin

Watch him score now, but nothing I've seen of this guy in the first team or in the reserves proves to me that he should be playing at this level. Technically not bad but just doesn't bring anything to the team. Complete average.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Well tbf when there's carrick and matic in the midfield, mctominay really isn't the midfielder to give it balance. Needs a much more attack minded player.
Oh come on, it's a classic case of RedCafe going completely overboard when it comes to judging a player. At the moment, McTominay is average at best. Pogba has had a bad period lately so the opinion is suddenly that McTominay should play more and that he's better than his performances indicate. He's at neither end of the scale, he's not shown anything to suggest he has the ability to make it at United, at best he might be a late bloomer that can be a decent squad option.

But from his performances against teams not sitting deep, it's pretty evident that he's far away from that.

Axkiko

Watch him score now, but nothing I've seen of this guy in the first team or in the reserves proves to me that he should be playing at this level. Technically not bad but just doesn't bring anything to the team. Complete average.
Agreed. I watched few games from him when he was on U23 team. I never thought he would be our first team player. But he got something Mourinho liked the most, his height.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Still don't see what is all the fuss about him. Not closely talented like pereira or gomes, not strong and quick like fosu mensah.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Oh come on, it's a classic case of RedCafe going completely overboard when it comes to judging a player. At the moment, McTominay is average at best. Pogba has had a bad period lately so the opinion is suddenly that McTominay should play more and that he's better than his performances indicate. He's at neither end of the scale, he's not shown anything to suggest he has the ability to make it at United, at best he might be a late bloomer that can be a decent squad option.

But from his performances against teams not sitting deep, it's pretty evident that he's far away from that.
Oh obviously he's never looked anything more then an average player, not saying that, but he can give the team some more balance at times by being that specific type of midfielder. Like he's more suited to playing in a 2 then Pogba, just because he sits in his position the whole time. Not sure what him (or Matic tbh) provide next to Carrick, since Carrick is pretty much just doing everything.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Oh obviously he's never looked anything more then an average player, not saying that, but he can give the team some more balance at times by being that specific type of midfielder. Like he's more suited to playing in a 2 then Pogba, just because he sits in his position the whole time. Not sure what him (or Matic tbh) provide next to Carrick, since Carrick is pretty much just doing everything.
At the moment they aren't doing much else than being dominated by Huddersfield

Status
Not open for further replies.