5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AR87

Matic and Carrick being totally immobile and playing almost on top of each other for most of the 1st half is why we were getting overrun. Look at how much of their attacking play came down the right hand side where Sanchez and Matic did nothing defensively in the 1st half.

McTominay is the only midfielder who put in a challenge, made tackles and generally provided any level of physicality. He's nothing spectacular right now, but he's solid and at 21 he has ample chance to improve. He deserves more games in cup ties and home matches against lower table opp if nothing else.

Still would like to see him in a 3 with Matic and Pogba. Carrick and Matic was too static and lacked penetrative passing which McTominay isn't going to provide at this stage.

Bobski

He is very Fletcher like, not exactly in how he plays, but in how the fans respond to him. He is industrious but you do not really see anything exceptional in his game yet, and for the first 2-3 years of Fletch's first team career fans were baffled by what Fergie saw in him.

JoaquinJoaquin

Surely being steady is an influence? You can;t expect every midfielder young squad player to be a scholes or a Pogba
I don't, but I expect them to play well in most of the games they play in if they are Manchester United standard. McTominay isn't a bad footballer, but he isn't a very particularly good one either.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It's less than half a year since people on here were complaining constantly about him.
And your point? Lingard splits opinions on here. What does that have to do with Lingard always being highly rated at youth level at and by the club to breakthrough. McTominay has never been highly rated. So the constant comparison of what about Lingard should stop as it isn't even close.

R'hllor

He isnt not doing much wrong, so dont see why some would have a go at him. Good enough to take some minutes off starters so can they rest.

norm87cro

Honestly nothing that special but given the fact he's 20 and I really don't see how Fellaini or Herrera contributed more this season he is a realistic squad option in the next two seasons

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
composure (for his age), positionally and tactically sound. I know these aren't things that get people excited but invaluable asset as a midfielder.
He isn't good positionally at all. He has been caught all over the place in past games and he often looks clueless trying to figure where to be when we are in possession.

Steven7290

No offence to your post, but what is 'composure' and being 'tactically sound' going to get you when you come up against the top teams? Could argue Cleverley and Gibson had those traits aswell, but weren't good enough.
He's not going to come up against top teams week in week out is he? Tbh I couldn't see those traits in Cleverley and Gibson.

Steven7290

He isn't good positionally at all. He has been caught all over the place in past games and he often looks clueless trying to figure where to be when we are in possession.
To put things in perspective, the same thing can be said about the world's most expensive midfielder that we have. It's better to judge a young player in a more consistent basis than a rough patch the whole team is facing.

Devil may care

The midfield was a clusterfeck in the first half, not spaced out properly at all which is the fault of the two senior CM's that made all 3 look crap. He was better in the second half, very basic player but ok.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He is very Fletcher like, not exactly in how he plays, but in how the fans respond to him. He is industrious but you do not really see anything exceptional in his game yet, and for the first 2-3 years of Fletch's first team career fans were baffled by what Fergie saw in him.
Agreed. The thing is I don't particularly trust Mourinho's opinion on young players, particularly young midfielders. There's not much evidence he can pick a good one.

If it was Sir Alex I would just assume there's something I'm missing but with Mourinho it just feels like had to play some young players, and McTominay was chosen because he was one of the more physically and tactically mature ones. I'm not sure it's a genuine long term investment in the player.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But if you can't influence the game then what is the point?
He influenced the game today. I think he's just suited more to a deeper role to win possession and hustle the ball away from the opposition. He's confident and composed enough to carry it and pass it to the attacking players - that's about the influence you expect from a deeper midfielder regardless of the opposition.

kundalini

I thought he was fine. One poor cross-field pass and lost his man on a corner, rest of his performance was perfectly decent.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
It would be the same if Iniesta played for us.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Something about him I like. Not sure if he will ever have the class to be a first team player but could be a long term squad player. Seems like he has some grit to him.

Acquire Me

Well that is the thing that bugs me. In each of pereira, tuanzebe, gomez, tfm you can see something special . What talent did you notice in mctominay? Is he quick? Extra creative? Good in tackling ? Good in passing?
Don't get me wrong. I would be over the moon if he becomes new carrick or new scholes but i can't see what is special in that kid.
Not many could see Carricks talent either.

lsd

The Oracle
Another good performance from him looks better every game and is clearly going to be a great player for us

el3mel

Can't see him becoming a main player here but will definitely be a handful squad option coming next years. Composed, physically strong and does the simple thing. A no nonsense midfielder. These are always handy as squad options.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I've seen worse academy players play regular games for us

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
He is a squad player and for that he is ok considering his age and what he offered.

He is not very good passer but looked good defensively and makes some good runs. He has time on his side, he can be good squad player for us which itself is a success for player and team.

El-Manos

He was fantastic the last 20 min I thought. Distributed the ball very well, made no major mistakes in the second half that I can recall.

Walters_19_MuFc

Again, simple but effective. Pressed well, provided a much needed energy and was physically imposing.

Ideally, you wouldn't want play him a midfield three with Carrick and Matic, as it had no balance, but he did what he had to do.

El-Manos

He was OK, nothing more nothing less. I think he will turn up more a Cleverley than Fletcher.
Nah disagree, he has more potential. Is already showing more consistency in my opinion. Not standing out yet but he has time on his side. Was great the last 20 min today I thought. Was often praising Carrick but then I realised it was actually Scott.

ash_86

He needs to stop passing sideways. We are at a period where even Defenders who pass sideways are frowned upon. Hope Carrick can help him on this

Kostov

Nah disagree, he has more potential. Is already showing more consistency in my opinion. Not standing out yet but he has time on his side. Was great the last 20 min today I thought. Was often praising Carrick but then I realised it was actually Scott.
I sincerely hope so, and he goes on to have a great career at the club, we will see I guess. I don't want to write him off yet.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He's got a good engine and puts himself about but he doesn't seem to have much else.

nah_it_wont_happen

Nope, he's still some way behind Fletcher was at his age.

I remember Fletcher was MOTM against Arsenal at Highbury in 2003-04 season. MOTM against the best team in the league is some performance I'd say. He had an excellent cross in him and much better defensively than Mctominay is. Fletcher almost always produced 7/10 performances. Fans hated him because SAF used to play Fletcher instead of Ronaldo on the right, it's the love for Ronaldo that emanated the hatred for Fletcher, nothing else.

Last edited:

yo@Kirk

It's hard to say how good McTominay will be or what position is best for him considering his amazing growth in height and weight in his late teens. He might be most useful as a ball playing CB in a back 3 once his skill set and football IQ conform to his new body type.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's only 21 and we have posters deciding he'll be a Cleverly. Great.

Bwuk

It's hard to say how good McTominay will be or what position is best for him considering his amazing growth in height and weight in his late teens. He might be most useful as a ball playing CB in a back 3 once his skill set and football IQ conform to his new body type.
Absolutely won’t be.

McTominay is a box to box player. Full of energy and desire. Today wasn’t his best performance, but hes been good since he got promoted into the first team.

Oscie

Tonight is as good as I've seen him play for the first team so far.

PoTMS

I like this kid. The best compliment I can give him is that he’s not looked out of place in this United team - one consisting of Pogba, Lukaku, Martial, Sanchez and Matic.

Status
Not open for further replies.