5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highfather_24

So do we see him as a box to box #8 or a sitting #6? Personally I see him as the former, atleast for the next few years.

Also considering we only had one place for McTominay or Pereirra in the team next year, who would you pick?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think a few fans are underrating how calm and mature he is. Never seems to panic, even when losses the ball or gets into a bad position. It's quite rare to see that in a young player

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't think he's done badly. The problem is I'm still not sure what it is he does that makes him stand out.

You don't see him playing defence splitting passes, or raking balls across the pitch, or making late runs into the box, or taking up intelligent positions, or breaking up the opposition play, harrassing players, threatening or stifling the opposition in some way. He's just kind of, on the pitch, not fecking it up.

It's easy as a midfielder to do easy things, relatively speaking. In the longer term he needs to show he can have an impact on games and make a difference in them, or offer the team something more.

Not saying he can't do it, just that he'll need to add something to his game as he develops, to define himself as a player if nothing else.

Nikelesh Reddy

I don't think he's done badly. The problem is I'm still not sure what it is he does that makes him stand out.

You don't see him playing defence splitting passes, or raking balls across the pitch, or making late runs into the box, or taking up intelligent positions, or breaking up the opposition play, harrassing players, threatening or stifling the opposition in some way. He's just kind of, on the pitch, not fecking it up.

It's easy as a midfielder to do easy things, relatively speaking. In the longer term he needs to show he can have an impact on games and make a difference in them, or offer the team something more.

Not saying he can't do it, just that he'll need to add something to his game as he develops, to define himself as a player if nothing else.
This.I"m honestly not sure what all the fuss is about...He doesn't really stand out in any particular way,and that isn't necessarily a bad thing,some players tend to grow into their own over time.And who knows,he may very well evolve into a good player for this club,but until now,I haven't really noticed anything that sets him apart....

Web of Bissaka

There is a category of players that the world does not rave about early because they don't do flicks and tricks. They keep things simple and the beauty of their game is often well hidden in that simplicity. They don't give you goals, they don't assist much, they are just like the gear box in a car - committed, hidden. For a long time, some people wonder of what use they are or if they are as good as a few others think. Then one day, someone will suddenly realize their incredible value and then others will gradually catch on.

Players like Carrick, Busquet, Mikel and Khedira.

One day, Scott is going to be a great in that group. I can see it clearly in the kid.
Good post.

Yeap, McTominay is joining (if not already) that list of our players whom vocal supporters have to take many seasons to finally able to see their worth.

Nikelesh Reddy

Good post.

Yeap, McTominay is joining (if not already) that list of our players whom vocal supporters have to take many seasons to finally able to see their worth.
Honestly,you may very well be true and I hope your right about this,but I haven't really seen anything so far that makes him stand out.And I"m not really looking for "tricks and flicks",obviously we don't expect our midfielders to do that.But at least we expect a good eye for a pass,good long range and short range passing,good spatial awareness and the strength and the power to keep hold off the ball,and I haven't seen any of this so far.

So I think it's very very premature to compare him to a young Carrick or a Busquets.Carrick really stood out when he was at West Ham,his passing and his composure on the ball were there for all to see.Scott may very well grow into a good CM,but he hasn't done enough so far in my view....

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
If his name was McTominho I bet people 'would see it'.
Nah he'd still be shit.

He does the basics reasonably well and is getting massive praise for it. We are looking to compete with the very best in Europe. Putting faith into a player that isn't creative, isn't dynamic, doesn't read the game well enough to be a DM, and doesn't score goals doesn't sit well with me.

haram

Nah he'd still be shit.

He does the basics reasonably well and is getting massive praise for it. We are looking to compete with the very best in Europe. Putting faith into a player that isn't creative, isn't dynamic, doesn't read the game well enough to be a DM, and doesn't score goals doesn't sit well with me.
He is hardly going to be first choice.

el3mel

With some more improvement in his positioning and tackling, he'll be a very good squad option in number 6 position. Should try to learn as much as possible from Matic now.

haram

With some more improvement in his positioning and tackling, he'll be a very good squad option in number 6 position. Should try to learn as much as possible from Matic now.
Carrick will be a coach next year as well which should help him.

el3mel

Carrick will be a coach next year as well which should help him.
Yep. He's lucky in having 2 great number 6s around him at this age. Both Carrick and Matic have different attributes so he should learn as much as possible from them.

I think he's much closer to Matic in style than Carrick though, since Matic depends on his physicality a lot to get the ball and Scott has good enough strength.

haram

Yep. He's lucky in having 2 great number 6s around him at this age. Both Carrick and Matic have different attributes so he should learn as much as possible from them.

I think he's much closer to Matic in style than Carrick though, since Matic depends on his physicality a lot to get the ball and Scott has good enough strength.
Yeah, will be interesting to see him develop.

diplomat

I think the lad has a lot to learn and will develop a lot until next season. People need to remember the incredible growth spur he's had and I'd guess something like that takes a lot of time to get used to, in the sense of using your body in a different way, having a different centre of gravity etc.

ZenMaster Coltrane

Mourinho vastly overrates players who follow his instructions. If you're over 6 feet with little on the ball ability you can get starts. Nice simple 4 yards passes isn't winning you anything. It is also Mourinho's fault that he finds himself having to play Mctominay. Almost 2 years here, has not cleared out anywhere close to the deadwood he's needed to. Has not concentrated on building up the MF into a cohesive, high tempo dangerous attack nor has he formed a solid CB partnership that would make MUN competitive for top trophies. If the midfield is that bad sans Pogba vs HUD, the prospects are bleak.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Couple of wayward passes here and there aside I thought his only actual mistake was in the 2nd half, when he got caught in possession in our half running at Romero. He definitely is very composed and shows maturity to his game, I don't know what he was like for the reserves in attack but he looks like he's following instructions down to the letter (in a very similar way that Fellaini does and Herrera did last season.

Something else, I like the way he conducts himself in interviews, seems like a good kid. During the match it is easy to get frustrated with sideways passing in the spur of the moment (I'm guilty as anyone with that) but it's easy to forget he's probably being asked by the manager to conserve and recycle possession. Generally, I've noticed he does look to get it forward when he gets the chance.

He got promoted at a difficult time with our midfield being torn apart with injuries and he's taken his chances well, so for that he must be given every credit. I think next season will be a better indicator of where he's at and if he has a long term future here, the more he gains Mourinho's trust he'll be given more creative license and he'll hopefully be able to slot into a stronger and more settled midfield than we've been able to field for most of the season.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Couple of wayward passes here and there aside I thought his only actual mistake was in the 2nd half, when he got caught in possession in our half running at Romero. He definitely is very composed and shows maturity to his game, I don't know what he was like for the reserves in attack but he looks like he's following instructions down to the letter (in a very similar way that Fellaini does and Herrera did last season.

Something else, I like the way he conducts himself in interviews, seems like a good kid. During the match it is easy to get frustrated with sideways passing in the spur of the moment (I'm guilty as anyone with that) but it's easy to forget he's probably being asked by the manager to conserve and recycle possession. Generally, I've noticed he does look to get it forward when he gets the chance.

He got promoted at a difficult time with our midfield being torn apart with injuries and he's taken his chances well, so for that he must be given every credit. I think next season will be a better indicator of where he's at and if he has a long term future here, the more he gains Mourinho's trust he'll be given more creative license and he'll hopefully be able to slot into a stronger and more settled midfield than we've been able to field for most of the season.
This point cant be stressed enough. Most of us sometimes get frustrated with sideways passing. But probably he isnt showing lack of creativity, its just him showing discipline.

ivaldo

Well he is likely to grow with experience and coaching, we shall see.
He probably will. But wouldn't it make more sense to invest that time into a player who has a bit more talent? At this stage we are just hoping that he'll suddenly develop abilities he has shown absolutely no promise in.

haram

He probably will. But wouldn't it make more sense to invest that time into a player who has a bit more talent? At this stage we are just hoping that he'll suddenly develop abilities he has shown absolutely no promise in.
Like who? We dont have that many options atm. Also, I dont think there is no promise. He is a simple player but if he can work on his positional play we can develop him into a good backup player.

diplomat

Has he done enough to play against Sevilla or Chelsea?
Do we have anyone else to play instead of him in a midfield 3? Maybe Carrick against Chelsea, but he definitely won't have the stamina to play against Sevilla, considering the short amount of time for recovery.

Classnordic

I see him as a really good squad player maybe even first XI in 2-3 years. If he could improve his already good strength to a level of Dembele, i think he will be a hell of a player down the line.

manunited1919

Do we have anyone else to play instead of him in a midfield 3? Maybe Carrick against Chelsea, but he definitely won't have the stamina to play against Sevilla, considering the short amount of time for recovery.
Yeah, Carrick doesn’t have the stamina or the legs. There are other solutions, such as bringing Jones or Blind into midfield, but I don’t see JM trying that. The only other realistic alternative I see is to play Lingard in midfield. But from what I have seen, a mid 3 of Matic, Lingard & Pogba lacks balance, specially with Alexis in the team, and we would get overrun again. I would much rather have McTom play in that position.

RedStarUnited

Nope, I dont see it. The kid just can not pass and we are already a shit passing team so its not like his lack of passing can be hidden.

The next midfielder we buy needs to love the ball and be a passing machine.

ivaldo

Like who? We dont have that many options atm. Also, I dont think there is no promise. He is a simple player but if he can work on his positional play we can develop him into a good backup player.
We don't, that doesn't mean we should pretend McTominay is good enough though, does it?

So we are going to invest time, appearances and money to train a player in the hope he can become a backup player?

When we've asked what his outstanding qualities are that makes him a promising player all we hear is he's got good positional awareness and he takes his knocks well. They aren't outstanding qualities, they are bare essentials. If he was playing for Brighton right now no one here would bat an eyelid.

haram

We don't, that doesn't mean we should pretend McTominay is good enough though, does it?

So we are going to invest time, appearances and money to train a player in the hope he can become a backup player?

When we've asked what his outstanding qualities are that makes him a promising player all we hear is he's got good positional awareness and he takes his knocks well. They aren't outstanding qualities, they are bare essentials. If he was playing for Brighton right now no one here would bat an eyelid.
The idea is that he has simple qualities, a good attitude and is willing to learn and will grow as a player. Im not sure what you want from a player who wont be playing much? If everyone is fit he is 5th or 6th choice.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout

Yes because we have to pay millions to sign him, so no one wants him. As of now he costs us nothing, he is on wages probably on par with kit man and playing as squad player.
We won't be spending money to train in specially, he will be part of the team training with them

Worst case, if he can't make it as squad player he will be sold for few millions.

ash_86

There is a category of players that the world does not rave about early because they don't do flicks and tricks. They keep things simple and the beauty of their game is often well hidden in that simplicity. They don't give you goals, they don't assist much, they are just like the gear box in a car - committed, hidden. For a long time, some people wonder of what use they are or if they are as good as a few others think. Then one day, someone will suddenly realize their incredible value and then others will gradually catch on.

Players like Carrick, Busquet, Mikel and Khedira.

One day, Scott is going to be a great in that group. I can see it clearly in the kid.
Totally agree with this. Not every player needs to stand out in the team. We have plenty of personnels within the team for that. Scott's role would be to enable those players to express themselves while providing the game with high energy in attack as well as defense. The player i could see similarities with Scott is Rabiot (PSG). Both are of similar age , bring high energy to the team and keeps it simple. Ofcouse Scott needs to prove himself more to acknowledge the comparison, but he has everything in his locker to play a similar role for us.

ivaldo

The idea is that he has simple qualities, a good attitude and is willing to learn and will grow as a player. Im not sure what you want from a player who wont be playing much? If everyone is fit he is 5th or 6th choice.
Simple qualities is another way of saying he isn't capable of anything other than the basics. We don't have 6 midfielders for him to be 6th choice.

ivaldo

Yes because we have to pay millions to sign him, so no one wants him. As of now he costs us nothing, he is on wages probably on par with kit man and playing as squad player.
We won't be spending money to train in specially, he will be part of the team training with them

Worst case, if he can't make it as squad player he will be sold for few millions.
No, it's because he isnt good enough.

He will be part of the team in place of another player, who could actually have the quality needed to become more than a player clutching at the edge of our squad.

At the moment he plays because we have no other options. Those of you who think he's actually doing s good job for us need to pay a little more attention.

haram

Simple qualities is another way of saying he isn't capable of anything other than the basics. We don't have 6 midfielders for him to be 6th choice.
Pogba, Matic, Fellaini, Herrera, Carrick, McTominay.

Are you saying we should sign someone to be 6th, 5th choice?

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
No, it's because he isnt good enough.

He will be part of the team in place of another player, who could actually have the quality needed to become more than a player clutching at the edge of our squad.

At the moment he plays because we have no other options. Those of you who think he's actually doing s good job for us need to pay a little more attention.
Nice to see youngsters getting support and not judged instantly.

It's like asking whether Barca would have signed Sergi Roberto if he played for other team? No as they had option to sign anyone, but since he came from academy everything changes.

Context is key, this "whether we would have signed if he played for other team" thing should stop. Maybe we wouldn't have signed Fletcher too but didn't stop him becoming very good player for us.

Right now he is option for us in midfield and Jose likes him and he used him some games. That's the only thing that matters, not whether we would have signed him or whether he will be class player for us in the future.

If player isn't good enough when he is 20-21, he will never be good enough. That logic, players should even stop training as there is no chance they will improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.