Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loublaze

ATLien
Well I don't particularly 'rate' either of these players; so I wouldnt want either of these as they are not at the right level for me. Periera is better on the ball, while McTominay is better off the ball. Both players are physically good. Both players have inconsistent decision making.

If given the choice, I'd play Pogba and Herrera over both of them :)
You're dodging the question sir! You have to pick one :devil:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Even though I don't see it yet, I'm going to trust Mourinho and the team on this. Hope he makes it. I really think the lack of good homegrown talent is hurting us

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
This. I haven't see anything that makes you go "wow, now I understand why Jose picks him!". Steady but nothing special. I'm not sure exactly what Jose sees in him but he must be amazing in training because I'm not seeing it on the field. It was the same with Fellaini and LVG. People couldn't understand why he was in the team at times but he follows instructions and that's why 3 managers have deemed him very important. McTominay is exactly the same. He isn't the most talented player but he follows instructions and that's why he's in the team. It's something I don't understand at this club. The so called talented stars start well ( Di Maria, Pogba, even Martial etc) but end up getting benched by players of lesser quality ( Young, McTominay)
The interest of club is bigger than any one sole players. ADM mind was set away from the first day. Martial is expected to be hot and cold. Pogbas inconsistencies and all that media spot lights and dibdabs hasnt helped either.. You always need steady players who keeps their head down and work managers instruction to the letter. The rookie done well in a big stage of european football againt a decent side away from home. Perhaps you prefer a felliani there?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Calm down.There is nothing funny in what I wrote. Usually when a kid comes through he tries to impressive, to prove his quality on the ball, but Mctominay only passes the ball sideways and backward..just like Cleverley used to do. So my point was that instead of blaming him we should look at the manager as he is clearly happy with his performances !
I see. I guess i missed the connection with Cleverley and sideways-passes. I agree we should not be blaming such a young player for anything other than lackluster performances but the kid does exactly as he's told, and lackluster he is not. You can keep it simple without becoming a fullblown Cleverley-copy, this experience will be invaluable for McTominay come his peak years, especially as a midfielder.

Giggs86

Does anyone see him starting against the likes of Bayern or Real if we progress further in the CL?
We started fecking Darron Gibson against Bayern (who also scored in that game by the way), so why not.

Loublaze

ATLien
We started fecking Darron Gibson against Bayern (who also scored in that game by the way), so why not.
You're right, but IIRC Scholes wasn't 100% for that game neither was Rooney. Fergie really rated Gibson for some strange reason but eventually he realized he wasn't good enough and he got his move. He did have a hell of a shot! Thats another thing, Gibson had one strong attribute in his favor, his shooting ability. What does McTominay have?

Giggs86

You're right, but IIRC Scholes wasn't 100% for that game neither was Rooney. Fergie really rated Gibson for some strange reason but eventually he realized he wasn't good enough and he got his move. He did have a hell of a shot! Thats another thing, Gibson had one strong attribute in his favor, his shooting ability. What does McTominay have?
Yes he did rate him for some reason and I remember some were calling him the next Roy Keane :lol:

Regarding McTominay I think it's too early to point at one strong ability that he has in his favor. I'd say right now he's just an extra body in midfield who adds energy and keeps it simple. Time will tell I suppose.

kundalini

Superb performance.

I'm surprised Mourinho trusted him in such a big game. Huge leap from playing a few domestic cup matches, home PL games against Huddersfield and Bournemouth and the one CL start against Benfica.

Safe to say he'll be here next season rather than going out on loan.

Delighted for him.

Last edited:

FromTheBench

Rather than Gibson, i see more Cleverley in Mctominay.

And we did somehow win the leaguelby a distance with him as a starter. And he started many important games not just one.

Hasnt pulled up. Many trees after leaving us either but somehow worked for. Us.

Ashley R1+O

Absolutely stoked for him. What a performance from the lad away in Seville. He's coming along very nicely and could be an important low-rotation fringe squad player next season for us as we look for further solutions to the midfield problems.

Sterling Archer

Some people really seem to not have an idea. Rashford was a bang average player in the youth system, and Wilson was by far the better striker. But one is getting double figure goals from the wing for United and the other is always on loan.
So so true. So much goes into these kids' ability to move into the professional sphere at any club let alone United. Bit of luck helps too. Never easy to predict.

Loublaze

ATLien
Rather than Gibson, i see more Cleverley in Mctominay.

And we did somehow win the leaguelby a distance with him as a starter. And he started many important games not just one.

Hasnt pulled up. Many trees after leaving us either but somehow worked for. Us.
You have a point there, but Cleverly was poor that season despite getting every chance to prove himself. He just proved he wasn't good enough IMO and I had high hopes for him.

Much rather see this kid get game time over fellaini anyways
Thought he did a solid job today
I agree with this.

Cliche Guevara

I’ve not been entirely convinced thus far, but thought he played quite well tonight.

If we are going to continue playing 4-3-3, for the remainder of the season, then I think there’s a place in the team for him given our injuries.

It will be interesting to see if he starts to take more responsibility as he gains experience and confidence.

Keeping it simple, following instructions, and staying out of trouble makes absolute sense as he’s being introduced to the team. This is one where it will take a bit of time to establish whether he has anywhere what we need for the long-term. These could be the performances of someone destined to have a long and reasonable career at a mid-table club. Alternatively, in time they could be looked upon as someone showing maturity beyond their years and beginning to learn their trade.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
People over the moon that Mourinho is giving a guy, who's not even close to being the top player in the youth system, opportunities to demonstrate his low ceiling. The standards are so low. He's over 6 feet, follows banal instructions...he mirrors the mold of a Mourinho soldier that will sit there carrying out the orders from a tactically inept general right till the end.
My eyes :wenger:

BenjaminP

He was our best player against Sevilla. Of course apart from God de Gea.

I see a Darren Fletcher type impact when I see McTominay. A Quality Team Player.

Rossa

@Rossa
It was tongue in cheek buddy. He is a DM that covers ground very well but posters ask what does he do that's so special.
He could be our Casemiro but posters seem fixated on some ball playing, deep laying playmaker type.
There doesn't seem to be many better 20 year old Dm out there, I can't see why everybody is in a rush to judge him.
Sorry mate. Seems I was too fed up with the negativity. Completely agree with your post.

Ibi Dreams

He was our best player against Sevilla. Of course apart from God de Gea.

I see a Darren Fletcher type impact when I see McTominay. A Quality Team Player.
Is he really like Fletcher though? He's got the energy and he can tackle and keep it tidy, but he hasn't shown any of the offensive nous that Fletcher had yet. Fletcher was a proper box to box player in the sense that he actually had some quality in the final third, he had decent playmaking skills as well as being a tough and smart midfielder. Haven't seen that yet from McTominay. I'm not saying he doesn't have it, I don't know enough about him, but so far he's mostly just been a midfield tackler and runner

Ekeke

He's a young player but he was completely outclassed and dominated along with the rest of our midfield against Sevilla. He won the ball a single time, giving away 2 freekicks. He kept the ball with no-danger passes but was mostly a spectator.

Reminds me of Fletcher at his peak with us.
Fletcher at his peak made a bunch of tackles, a couple of creative passes and crosses, marked another midfielder almost out of the game as well as making a bunch of safe sideways passes helping to keep the ball.

On his Sevilla performance he's actually nothing like him.

BenjaminP

Is he really like Fletcher though? He's got the energy and he can tackle and keep it tidy, but he hasn't shown any of the offensive nous that Fletcher had yet. Fletcher was a proper box to box player in the sense that he actually had some quality in the final third, he had decent playmaking skills as well as being a tough and smart midfielder. Haven't seen that yet from McTominay. I'm not saying he doesn't have it, I don't know enough about him, but so far he's mostly just been a midfield tackler and runner
True. It was only his second Champions League start, so we would have to wait and see.
But I see some positivism with his attitude and mindset. Fletcher was doubted by many, but he was mentally strong enough to overcome that and improve to be a good player for us.

Web of Bissaka

Our second best player by far, after our god keeper.

:eek: Could it be.. Scott McTominay is not really that bad? and there are good reasons Mourinho insist on playing him often?!

Funny, he's performing while our other higher class players fail in a CL away game.

Another solid performance, all his game so far this season, bar one, have been solid.

JoaquinJoaquin

Our second best player by far, after our god keeper.

:eek: Could it be.. Scott McTominay is not really that bad? and there are good reasons Mourinho insist on playing him often?!

Funny, he's performing while our other higher class players fail in a CL away game.

Another solid performance, all his game so far this season, bar one, have been solid.
Woah. He was very good last night but let's not re-write history here. Hopefully last night really pushes him on because if he can play to that standard most games then we might have a player on our hands.

Web of Bissaka

Fair point :D Gibson is a specialized player ~ good shooter on high form at that time, so SAF just make use of him since why not, then get drop and sold to oblivion. He's very limited, for a midfielder. I don't rate him that high or even at normal level - insane shooting ability though for a short time.

McTominay doesn't have any somewhat flashy special skills. Instead, it's more to do with his functionality by simple yet effective all-around plays in his performance (analogy for that is how in FIFA, AI controlling weak team play simple predictable pass-and-move football yet can still beat you I guess) and "something about his mentality", which what makes him impressive. Obviously doubt he'll become top level elite class player, but more of a functional one.

Woah. He was very good last night but let's not re-write history here. Hopefully last night really pushes him on because if he can play to that standard most games then we might have a player on our hands.
You don't find his previous performances solid/good/fair? Except that one game (in League Cup?) where he was horrible, he exceed my minimum expectations in the rest - did what was required, didn't played bad and at least give something useful. Better performance last night.

JoaquinJoaquin

You don't find his previous performances solid/good/fair? Except that one game (in League Cup?) where he was horrible, he exceed my minimum expectations in the rest - did what was required, didn't played bad and at least give something useful. Better performance last night.
If i'm honest then no I never. He had good moments but overall I felt he looked very average and wasn't sure what his ceiling was, as I watched alot of him in the reserves aswell and he didn't stand out there either. Thought it might of been a case of Jose picking him because of his height, but last night he played with self confidence and Jose's loyalty to him paid off. Like I say, if he can play like that most games then I would be very, very happy. My one nitpick is i'd like to see him push the ball forward more (as he does have the range), Hopefully that will come in the next few games.

devips

I am actually amused by these McTominay criticisms. Reminded of De Gea's first season here and Redcafe. David is now a Redcafe God!

Trizy

Another youth player in our squad who just isn't good enough. I said it in the match day squad, he's only here because of our youth policy.

Loan him to the championship and he doesn't start for any team. We need to rid ourselves from youth who are not good enough. Just because he's an United fan, youth product and nice guy who tries doesn't and shouldn't cut it. Nothing against him as a person but he shouldn't even be near the first team training ground nevermind the first team in the biggest competition in the world!

The fact some are saying he was one of our better players just shows how shit we were.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
the state of the modern fan. if you're not flashy enough, you're shit.
Yeah, his performance veers from shit to superb as well. Both are quite the extreme opinions. When the answer is somewhere in the middle. He did well enough, IMO.

Maybe with confidence and game time, he'll grow into the team and show what he's capable of because at this point, I struggle to see what he really excels at to make it at a club trying to compete with the best. But he's still young. Most midfielders don't mature until their mid 20's.

He played one lovely long pass out wide to our left wing in the second half, which showed he actually has a much better passing range than what he's showed thus far - understandably keeping it safe and simple.

Trizy

He played one lovely long pass out wide to our left wing in the second half, which showed he actually has a much better passing range than what he's showed thus far - understandably keeping it safe and simple.
What? One good pass in 10 performances hardly warrants you to be judged as a good passer.

I'd a Sunday League game at the weekend, playing CB I took the ball off the keeper, moved forward and played an inch perfect cross field 50 yard pass to our winger. I try that 10 times and it doesn't go so well and ends up just being a hoof up field. But I did it once, am I Xavi now? :lol:

tonnas

I really really like him, he wont be a worldie but he is already a very solid player. He can be a new darren fletcher for us and we need players like that in the squad! Well done mctominay

Last edited by a moderator:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
What? One good pass in 10 performances hardly warrants you to be judged as a good passer.

I'd a Sunday League game at the weekend, playing CB I took the ball off the keeper, moved forward and played an inch perfect cross field 50 yard pass to our winger. I try that 10 times and it doesn't go so well and ends up just being a hoof up field. But I did it once, am I Xavi now? :lol:
You could be Xavi if you wanna be. Go to the home affairs and get your name changed. Simple.

Way to take something out of context there, bud.

I never said "1 pass makes him an excellent passer"...i said that 1 pass showed me he has a better passing range than he's showed thus far. Seems a fair comment.

Robbie Boy

You could be Xavi if you wanna be. Go to the home affairs and get your name changed. Simple.

Way to take something out of context there, bud.

I never said "1 pass makes him an excellent passer"...i said that 1 pass showed me he has a better passing range than he's showed thus far. Seems a fair comment.
Yeah, I feel the same, to be honest.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, I feel the same, to be honest.
Aye, Robbie. The amount of "extreme" opinions and agendas going around (pro Mourinho, anti Mourinho etc.) these boards at the moment, makes it next to impossible to try and post your opinion, which you hope is pretty objective. Posters jump on, and misinterpret the slightest things.

Robbie Boy

Aye, Robbie. The amount of "extreme" opinions and agendas going around (pro Mourinho, anti Mourinho etc.) these boards at the moment, makes it next to impossible to try and post your opinion, which you hope is pretty objective. Posters jump on, and misinterpret the slightest things.
Yeah it's all getting a-bit tetchy around here which is why I haven't been posting that much lately. The Smalling thread is an absolute farce and probably the worst I've went into.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
McTominay looks decent and not even close to the finished article yet - intriguing talent

Status
Not open for further replies.