Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
A few of his stats:

- Second highest passes in the game - 60. (Tuanzebe first).
- 85% pass success (Only Darmian had worse).
- 3 times fouled (only Martial fouled more, 4 times).
- 5 aerial duels won (by far the best, Smalling 2nd highest on 3).
- Joint 3rd highest amount of touches - 71 (Tuanzebe, Lingard 1st/2nd).
- 2 tackles won (Smalling, Herrera joint 1st on 3, Tuanzebe, Darmian, Blind on 2).

You can see why Jose likes him. Imposing presence in the middle of the pitch, winning aerials and being fouled. Doesn't shy away from the ball, having a high touch count and 2nd highest passing. But he needs to improve his passing which by the numbers let him down. If he could improve his passing then he'd be a useful asset in the squad imo. Someone who can come into a game when we're getting over run and stabilise the midfield.
Didn't see the match but that's very decent stats for a youngster.

How good was Tuanzebe btw? Highest passing as a CB is impressive.

BeckhamtoScholes

It was a faultless performance except he passed it back to Romera too many times. I think he could have a future. I think he has goals in him too, made some good runs into the box.

Reactions: KM

red4ever 79

Grew in stature as the game went on. Probably physically needs to get a bit stronger but he looks a talent. Keeps the ball moving and is a good dribbler.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I really like his confidence and drive. I thought he became better and better as the match went on and grew into the game. Good game from him IMO and showed a lot maturity.

Robindinho

Thought he hid a bit in the first half, literally stood still and sat too deep. Much more involved and confident in the second half. Decent debut

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Did you see the "he will do well to get to cleverly level" comments?

To judge a lad on his debut which no one can argue that it was bad on any level just shows no matter what goes on they will come out with the same tiresome asinine garbage.
At the same age Cleverley was Watford's player of the year in the Championship. He will do well to get to Cleverley's level who has had a very good career so far making 70+ appearances for United, 13 caps, and been a PL regular. Especially considering McTominay has been a nothing player for the youth and reserves.

Yagami

Good post resistant
At the same age Cleverley was Watford's player of the year in the Championship. He will do well to get to Cleverley's level who has had a very good career so far making 70+ appearances for United, 13 caps, and been a PL regular. Especially considering McTominay has been a nothing player for the youth and reserves.
My thoughts as well. It's not just about his odd first team appearance - he's looked less than average with the U23s, too. Cleverley showed much more promise.

DanClancy

He's clearly got a chance given his physical attributes and he's technically sound. Its just whether he's going to get enough games, if everyone was fit he wouldn't have started last night so he's going to rely on injuries to get games. Hopefully if all goes to plan he'll get another 2 games before xmas in a league cup quarter final and the last CL game should we have guaranteed finishing top.

EyeInTheSky

Every player matures at different times and what your talking about is not my argument. No one can predict how good or bad he will be at this stage. To make pointless generic and forgettable comments like that is pointless. Why not say "if he makes it to player x levels he'll be doing well".

If he was such a "nothing" player why did the coaches and Manager feel him good enough to start and be in the squad?

Hoboman

Has a mentality and physical attributes to make it here. Hope he will get more game time, especially in cup games

KM

The kids are always the kids," said the manager on MUTV. "When they play, it's nice and it's good. When they perform well, it's even better. I think they both had good performances.

"I would say especially Scott, as he had a big influence in the game in a crucial area. He was very comfortable and strong in midfield. I tried to give Axel good protection. I think Axel started a little bit shaky but he got stability and had a good performance.
Interesting that Jose thought McTominay played better of the two.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Interesting that Jose thought McTominay played better of the two.
Regardless of how I rate him he did have a very good game. Especially as we had two CMs and Swansea had 3. When Herrera went to press he covered the ground very well and also tracked their runners perfectly.

NotQuiteManc

Defensively pretty good, not so much offensively but I guess that's more due to how the team was setup. He is still very young and have rooms for improvement. I mean, if Fellaini improved under Mourinho, for sure players like Scott would improve as well. Based on that performance, he tracked runners well, won defensive headers during open play and corners and make himself available for pass even though it is more for sideways, defensive passes rather than forward, attacking ones.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
A few of his stats:

- 2 tackles won (Smalling, Herrera joint 1st on 3, Tuanzebe, Darmian, Blind on 2).

You can see why Jose likes him. Imposing presence in the middle of the pitch, winning aerials and being fouled. Doesn't shy away from the ball, having a high touch count and 2nd highest passing. But he needs to improve his passing which by the numbers let him down. If he could improve his passing then he'd be a useful asset in the squad imo. Someone who can come into a game when we're getting over run and stabilise the midfield.
Whoscored has it at 86.4 and right in the middle of the pack. 5 better, 6 worse.

Walters_19_MuFc

Really good performance yesterday. Did everything a box to box midfielder is asked to do. Pleased to see him playing the whole game too. Good on him.

Loublaze

ATLien
Player I'd liken him to most out of those everyone is familiar with is Khedira. Nothing special, but is a presence in midfield and makes others jobs easier.
Khedira is more skillful than all our CMs bar Pogba. More than just a presence. McTominay is bang average

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A few of his stats:

Whoscored has it at 86.4 and right in the middle of the pack. 5 better, 6 worse.
The fact he won so many headers will harm his passing stats, as they're inevitably harder to direct towards a team-mate.

dasty

At the same age Drogba had not even signed a professional contract yet and was an apprentice for a Ligue 2 club. Different players develop at different age, not exactly rocket science.

KM

Yup. Out of those 6 better ones, there's Matic and Shaw who only played 30 mins combined so obviously their passing percentage which would be much better. Out of the starters, McTominay had the fourth best passing.

limerickcitykid

At the same age Drogba had not even signed a professional contract yet and was an apprentice for a Ligue 2 club. Different players develop at different age, not exactly rocket science.
Which has very little to do with my point. Cleverley has had quite a good career so far and its 'not exactly rocket science' that an average youth player will be doing well to have a similar career when the majority aren't anywhere near as successful as Cleverley.

RedCurry

I am almost certain that he'll play some part against Spurs. Unless Fellaini or Pogba make surprise come back.

lysglimt

Scout
He’s right about Axel’s ropey start. Couldn’t believe my eyes when Wayne fecking Routledge comfortably beat him in the air at the edge of our 6 yard box.
Tuanzebe really wasn't that good - he was lucky not to create a freekick inches just outside the box which could have ended up being a penalty if the ref wasn't in a perfect position. McTominay had a much better game

Pogue Mahone

Tuanzebe really wasn't that good - he was lucky not to create a freekick inches just outside the box which could have ended up being a penalty if the ref wasn't in a perfect position. McTominay had a much better game
Axel was good on the ball but yeah, I didn’t think his defending was up to his usual standards at all.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You never know. He or other players might read it.

But that's not really the point, is it?
What's the point then? That random internet posters should just say nice things about him on football forum? How about other players or managers or teams?

Being called "average" on your debut, playing for Manchester United, is still good thing to say. Go read some other players thread, and you'll see worse.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

Can hardly blame him for that or say the ref was in a perfect position because if was he'd have seen the guy was man-handling Axel the whole time and had a fishtful of his shirt.

Charlie Foley

Surely a player looking 'alright' compared to more accomplished teammates this early on is a good sign for such an inexperienced player?

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
I am inclined to agree that he's nothing special. He doesn't look any better than Cleverley or Gibson did. He had a perfectly decent game though so some of the posts in this thread are rather harsh.

Ibi Dreams

I am inclined to agree that he's nothing special. He doesn't look any better than Cleverley or Gibson did. He had a perfectly decent game though so some of the posts in this thread are rather harsh.
Is he not more of a defensive player than either of those? Don't know a lot about him but I think he's done decently so far

sunama

Baghdad Bob
How good was Tuanzebe btw? Highest passing as a CB is impressive.
Highest passing accuracy as a CB is actually easy, if you pass side ways, most of the time.
The most difficult place to make accurate passes is in attack, where the attacker is under a lot of pressure from defenders closing him down and attempting to tackle him.

Being called "average" on your debut, playing for Manchester United, is still good thing to say. Go read some other players thread, and you'll see worse.
This is true.

Beej

Always a lot of unknowns when it comes to young players making the step up (particularly from amateurs chatting on a football forum).

Me and my mates used to moan when we'd see Darren Fletcher's name in the starting lineup when he was first coming through and he turned in to a superb player.

On the otherhand I thought Tom Cleverly showed a lot of promise, but he never kicked on.

People in the club obviously rate McTominay though and, as others have said, being average on full debut is a good starting point. I'm pretty interested to see what type of player he develops in to.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
The one with Routledge? If anything it was Routledge who was holding his shirt and Tuanzebe won the ball cleanly.

KM

Highest passing accuracy as a CB is actually easy, if you pass side ways, most of the time.
The most difficult place to make accurate passes is in attack, where the attacker is under a lot of pressure from defenders closing him down and attempting to tackle him.
True but it was his passing and bravery which led to the second goal, plus when you factor in the fact that he was making his first team appearance this season, then it's something praiseworthy.

Loublaze

ATLien
Always a lot of unknowns when it comes to young players making the step up (particularly from amateurs chatting on a football forum).

Me and my mates used to moan when we'd see Darren Fletcher's name in the starting lineup when he was first coming through and he turned in to a superb player.

On the otherhand I thought Tom Cleverly showed a lot of promise, but he never kicked on.

People in the club obviously rate McTominay though and, as others have said, being average on full debut is a good starting point. I'm pretty interested to see what type of player he develops in to.
He's in the first team for his height and nothing else. Not even the reserve/youth team experts think he's anything special. Its a similar situation to Blackett under LVG when he was picked simply because he was left footed. McTominay's here now so he should take his chance. Seems a nothing player IMO though, as in doesn't appear to be particularly good at anything

Pogue Mahone

He's in the first team for his height and nothing else. Not even the reserve/youth team experts think he's anything special. Its a similar situation to Blackett under LVG when he was picked simply because he was left footed. McTominay's here now so he should take his chance. Seems a nothing player IMO though, as in doesn't appear to be particularly good at anything
Yeah that’s it :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.