Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

hmchan

Yep he certainly isn't any good and against city, I'm glad the guy who looked Malacia but wasn't, handled Mahrez really well.
Like I said in #1755 he's good at marking the opponents tight and preventing them to turn, and this was how he kept Mahrez in his pocket.

criticalanalysis

I think something that's overlooked is that Shaw and Malacia play completely differently when we have the ball (and I'm fairly sure due to different instructions given by Ten Hag). Shaw tends to stay wide and overlaps when given the chance, while Malacia tucks into central midfield then underlaps (though less often - again I think due to being instructed to guard against counter attacks).
It was 100% a tactic and I'm sure ETH confirmed it in one the post match interviews too. In fact, he also said something to the effect Malacia was pretty much our only player who did well holding onto the ball.

I agree Malacia is a safe passer and press resistant himself, but only to sacrifice the team's progression as a tradeoff. For 60 minutes against Leeds, we totally relied on the Dalot/Sancho combination and Maguire's hopeful long balls to move the ball forward, while the left channel was non-existent. If you carefully look at the stats, Malacia's progressive passes and carries are significantly lower than his peers.

In terms of defending, he's good at marking the opponents tight and preventing them to turn, but nothing else. He's weak in dealing with long balls over the top and obviously, he struggles against opponents with physical presence.

I know my criticism may look a bit over for a youngster just landing in the PL, but so as the positivity here. I have actually revisited this thread a few times and every time I'm surprised the notion hasn't changed.
See above for the point about positioning.

Again, I don't disagree that there are many things he can improve on but you're being perhaps overly harsh imo. His defending is a bit chaotic but he closes his man and space fast. He doesn't lock down players but he is a player that is generally safe where it comes to defensive duels, in transition or tight areas. That along with his press resistant ability and ball retention has so far made him a solid squad option, which for all intents and purposes is something that should be cherished, especially if he has potential to grow. Hence the positivity.

McT is an 'average' squad option. Malacia is above that for me.

hmchan

It was 100% a tactic and I'm sure ETH confirmed it in one the post match interviews too. In fact, he also said something to the effect Malacia was pretty much our only player who did well holding onto the ball.

See above for the point about positioning.

Again, I don't disagree that there are many things he can improve on but you're being perhaps overly harsh imo. His defending is a bit chaotic but he closes his man and space fast. He doesn't lock down players but he is a player that is generally safe where it comes to defensive duels, in transition or tight areas. That along with his press resistant ability and ball retention has so far made him a solid squad option, which for all intents and purposes is something that should be cherished, especially if he has potential to grow. Hence the positivity.

McT is an 'average' squad option. Malacia is above that for me.
It was 100% a tactic and the tactic applied to both Malacia and Shaw. Shaw came on and tucked in to midfield the same way Malacia did during buildup. It's just that he delivered a brilliant cross and gave the impression that he was instructed to play a different way. Nah, Malacia was also given the license to stay wide and break forward occassionally. He just offered nothing and people felt he wasn't there.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Played really well, some vital tackles and barely gave Raphinha a sniff.

slored1

He was very good but I thought Raphinha had the better of him as the game went on. I really like his spirit though, he's very aggressive and strong in his challenges.

acnumber9

Thought he was awful on the build up to their first goal. Just ran away from Raphina and Raphina went past him with ease a few times. He’s tenacious though.

twitter thread suggester
Tenacious but very little quality. You almost just expect him to do something stupid when he has the ball.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I like how he can put someone in the ground from time to time. Like ramming over Lewandowski.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Having a good first season here.

Also helps when the guy you've replaced is Alex Telles.

BerryBerryShrew

I feel like his tenacity masks a lot of his weaknesses. Which is admirable in a way. Like a superior version of Buttner rather than an Evra regen.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Don't see him crossing at all. One area where he can contribute more.

Abraxas

Fought really well. Just wish we could unlock more going forward. Feels like it should be possible, it's not as if he looks shite on the ball. Just seems to play very safe and uninspiring in the final areas.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Tenacious but very little quality. You almost just expect him to do something stupid when he has the ball.
Pretty harsh comment considering our senior players like Varane, Casemiro, de Gea, and even Shaw did far more stupid stuff with the ball tonight than him.

Irwin99

Fought really well. Just wish we could unlock more going forward. Feels like it should be possible, it's not as if he looks shite on the ball. Just seems to play very safe and uninspiring in the final areas.
I didn't see the Barca game but that feels very deliberate since his early few games for United (vs Liverpool for instance) where you could see he had a good attitude and a willingness but he was really rough in some areas of his game. Since then it looks more like he's been focusing on getting the basics right. Hopefully the attacking side will develop in time.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
He's ignored almost every time he overlaps for some reason. You'd think we'd try him every now and then to mix things up.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not sure what I'll make of him long term but decent value for money so far.

mu4c_20le

I think this is his ceiling. Not necessarily in a bad way, but I'd be surprised if he could still improve dramatically.

Witchking

Very happy with how he is coming along. Played a very good game against a tricky winner in rafinha. He is going to be the future left back for United. He is still young and has lots to learn.

Cloud7

I like him a lot. He’s defensively solid and more importantly he plays with a lot of fire. It cannot be stressed enough how important that is after almost a decade of lifeless performances.

Djemba-Djemba

He's an ideal backup player.

You need players like this in a squad that can come into the side and not let you down. That was the hallmark of the Fergie era.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Would be a great question if I understood what you were getting at
These days the more fire a player has the more likely they'll get cards because of incompetent refs...
Antony, Casemiro, Bruno are all players with fire but sometimes I'm afraid they'll get sent off at any stage of the game
No doubt in my mind Malacia will be a long term United player though

Status
Not open for further replies.