Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classical Mechanic

And what has Tuanzebe done at professional level to make you say he is better than Lindelof?

Mind you I am not the biggest fan of Lindelof, but as far I can remember last time he played as a fullback was when he played for Sweden under 21's Championship they won in 2015, unless you expected him to be Dani Alves or Cafú :lol:
I am not saying that Tuanzebe is better or will be better than Lindelof, only that he has great potential and that I would rather see him or TFM get a shot in the side than us buy an average defender from the Portuguese league for £30m. Especially when we have 4 CBs + Blind who can play there with two great prospects in the academy too.

Manchester United has a great history of bringing through our own players. A tradition a would rather see continue rather than padding out the squad with expensive but mediocre foreign imports.

As a professional Tuanzebe handled Alexis with ease last year, one of the best players in the league. In the league cup this season he really impressed too, prompting reviews such as

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/fans-everywhere-noticed-alexis-sanchez-10375416

It's a shame that the culture in the Premier League as a whole is not to give young players a chance.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I am not saying that Tuanzebe is better or will be better than Lindelof, only that he has great potential and that I would rather see him or TFM get a shot in the side than us buy an average defender from the Portuguese league for £30m. Especially when we have 4 CBs + Blind who can play there with two great prospects in the academy too.

Manchester United has a great history of bringing through our own players. A tradition a would rather see continue rather than padding out the squad with expensive but mediocre foreign imports.

As a professional Tuanzebe handled Alexis with ease last year, one of the best players in the league. In the league cup this season he really impressed too, prompting reviews such as

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/fans-everywhere-noticed-alexis-sanchez-10375416

It's a shame that the culture in the Premier League as a whole is not to give young players a chance.
If Tuanzebe is so good as you say why can't he take the place of an average defender from the Portuguese league?

Rojo also played in the portuguese league, and I don't think he is worse than Lindelof tbf, actually comparing with former Benfica players I guess David Luiz or prime Luisão were better than him.

Mind you I don't have nothing against academy players or traditions, but that option was taken by Mourinho, so he probably thinks Lindelof is better than Tuanzebe, at least for now?

Don't know nothing about Tuanzebe tbh, maybe he is a great hidden player I don't know, but guess what, Mourinho actually has improved a more experienced academy player, who a lot of people in this forum always call him average, Lingard the name.

Regarding Tuanzebe if he is good and better than Lindelof sooner or later he will prove that, but don't remember Mourinho playing with 20 year old CB during his carrer, even Ricardo Carvalho was something between 23 to 25, so Tuanzebe has a lot to run my friend, at least while Mou is there.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
And what bugs me most. We already had like 4 CBs, so what is the point of that transfer?
To be fair, all four of those centrebacks have a history of being somewhat injury plagued. As we've seen already this season.

Have you seen him at CB? He is even worse there. Just rewatch Bristol, Huddersfield and so on.
Obviously he was shocking earlier on in the season, but equally obviously he has improved quite a bit more recently. Who's to say that he won't continue improving?

Personally, I probably lean towards wishing we'd backed Tuanzebe to step into that role, but Jose must have seen something he liked in Lindelof so I'm going to hope he comes good.

Festive Sandvich

Honestly, he can be as good as he likes on the ball, but the basic physical attributes aren't really there for the positions he's looking to fill. He doesn't look either fast enough to be a full back (got pillaged by Bolasie today, and it will happen every week against quickish wingers), or strong enough to be a centre back (got pushed off the ball by Bolasie a couple of times, wouldn't fancy him against Andy Carroll or Rondon etc.). He's got a better chance at CB if he gets himself down the gym, but never again at full back, he's running through treacle.

R'hllor

When it comes to RB, Axel is Roberto Carlos compared with VL, to bad he wasnt bought by JM, otherwise he could stand a chance.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Irrespective of what this lad will do, he'll always have haters.
Doubt it.

Look at the last 2/3 pages of the Rojo thread. He went from to being a useless, good for nothing that shouldn't be let near the squad to more or less should be a starter again. He has heart, desire, he's composed and a great passer and all tonight.

If Lindelof puts in a few good 90 minute shifts it'll probably be the same story.

Classical Mechanic

If Tuanzebe is so good as you say why can't he take the place of an average defender from the Portuguese league?

Rojo also played in the portuguese league, and I don't think he is worse than Lindelof tbf, actually comparing with former Benfica players I guess David Luiz or prime Luisão were better than him.

Mind you I don't have nothing against academy players or traditions, but that option was taken by Mourinho, so he probably thinks Lindelof is better than Tuanzebe, at least for now?

Don't know nothing about Tuanzebe tbh, maybe he is a great hidden player I don't know, but guess what, Mourinho actually has improved a more experienced academy player, who a lot of people in this forum always call him average, Lingard the name.

Regarding Tuanzebe if he is good and better than Lindelof sooner or later he will prove that, but don't remember Mourinho playing with 20 year old CB during his carrer, even Ricardo Carvalho was something between 23 to 25, so Tuanzebe has a lot to run my friend, at least while Mou is there.
He has been one of the best young English defenders for a number of years. He was a regular in the u20 squad that won the World Cup but didn't go as Mourinho kept him at United to play in the PL in the late run when he gave up on the league to prepare for the EL final. He has only ever impressed in all his appearances for us but that counts for nothing with Mourinho as he just doesn't trust young players. It is one of the reasons a number of fans didn't want him at United.

Hopefully Tuanzebe can get a loan this window but Mou is the kind of manager who likes to keep players of his profile as back up to the back up, meaning realistically that they get no game time. He should start in the FA Cup next week mind.

Lets not forget that we also have TFM out on loan too, Lindelof can only dream of handling a player like Sane as TFM did yesterday.

Last edited:

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
Honestly, he can be as good as he likes on the ball, but the basic physical attributes aren't really there for the positions he's looking to fill. He doesn't look either fast enough to be a full back (got pillaged by Bolasie today, and it will happen every week against quickish wingers), or strong enough to be a centre back (got pushed off the ball by Bolasie a couple of times, wouldn't fancy him against Andy Carroll or Rondon etc.). He's got a better chance at CB if he gets himself down the gym, but never again at full back, he's running through treacle.

But his skill set is better at FB than it is at CB. I don't give a rats... if my CB is good at passing the ball. I want my CB to be a smart/physical defender (hopefully with pace that can also play the ball in the air)

imo he's a better right back...

unfortunately for him...Valencia AND Fosu are better right backs than Lindy. And there are better CB than him when they are all healthy.

I think Lindy's the 5th best CB (Smalling, Rojo, Jones, Bailly) and he'll be the 3rd best right back next season (Valencia, Fosu)

I like him better than Darmian though. :p

Festive Sandvich

But his skill set is better at FB than it is at CB. I don't give a rats... if my CB is good at passing the ball. I want my CB to be a smart/physical defender (hopefully with pace that can also play the ball in the air)

imo he's a better right back...

unfortunately for him...Valencia AND Fosu are better right backs than Lindy. And there are better CB than him when they are all healthy.

I think Lindy's the 5th best CB (Smalling, Rojo, Jones, Bailly) and he'll be the 3rd best right back next season (Valencia, Fosu)

I like him better than Darmian though. :p
Can't disagree with much of that. £30m is a lot for a 5th choice CB and 3rd choice RB though eh! Watching TFM pick up man of the match for Palace the other day has possibly made me a bit saltier and scrutinise Lindster a bit more today, but in terms of what I look for in a RB, it's not even close.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I feel lindelof is more hated because of Jose signing him. Lukaku also the same. The fans see Lukaku and Jose as one. Matic would also have fallen in that category but he has performed so well that fans realised he is good and I mean real good. Otherwise fans were ready with their knives to kill him.

You are right that many feel he is an unnecessary signing but still that should not be the reason for bashing someone. I feel he has improved very much and his ball playing ability (Lindelof) is really good when you compared that with Smalling or even Jones.
But not Manchester United supporters.

Home&Away

Blind is a better CB than Lindelof, a better ball player as well as a better LB than Lindelof at RB.

Mistake to sell blind to replace with this guy who isnt better.

Tincanalley

God, I am weary, bone weary of the ignorance in here about the basics of football. As if some set of stats supposedly regarding back passes were some reflection on the quality of a player or their performance!

Dr. StrangeHate

Are you serious?
He can atleast control the ball, take it a little forward and pass it backward. Lindlelof was struggling to do even that. It's not his fault, he seems a decent CB but Darmian is the superior RB.

el3mel

Not a RB but he's doing the best he can there. Find it harsh to analyze him in such a position tbh.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He has been one of the best young English defenders for a number of years.
Really? Didn't knew that because I follow with more detail portuguese youth football, normally the youth players from England I know are the ones who play at Under 21's or Under 20's tournaments, or some who shine more at Youth League matches and last seasons the ones I know more are from Chelsea tbh.
Hopefully Tuanzebe can get a loan this window but Mou is the kind of manager who likes to keep players of his profile as back up to the back up, meaning realistically that they get no game time.
Mou likes more matured and experienced players, guess Rashford only had his chance because he was introduced to the first team by LVG before.

But I am surprised with Lingard tbh, hey even Martial who is a import and more expensive than Lindelof has struggled with him, players like Mikhy too, but I have my own opinion about Mourinho and creative players over the last seasons, better don't ask me what I think about this :lol:

Reality is the problem with Mourinho goes beyond academy players, for them to shine under him they will need to be exceptional, if at Chelsea they didn't had a chance and I think they were better than the current ones he has.

The truth is United has a great tradition, but looking from the outside it looks to me Chelsea or City are recruiting and developing more talents, even if it is more difficult to reach the first team.

Anyway, this was about Lindelof and as always there is always a struggle between fans who want to see academy players in the first team, I also like to see that on my club, but there is a lot of money and interests involved in football today, so to a player from an academy to reach the first team he needs to be exceptional, particularly in rich leagues.

You guys want to have the richest league in the world, at the same time want academy players in the team and buy the best players in the world at the same time and then mock the Bundesliga because they don't spend the same money and give young players more chances?

You can't have all at the same time. Sorry about the dissertation :lol:, Happy New Year and good luck to United regardless of what I think about current Mourinho.

Classical Mechanic

You can't have all at the same time. Sorry about the dissertation :lol:, Happy New Year and good luck to United regardless of what I think about current Mourinho.
Lingard is 25! It seems to me that all managers like him, LVG started him in his first ever competitive game. Lingard has guts, he isn't a bottler, hence him scoring in two cup finals for us.

But yes - happy new year.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Lingard is 25
But that's the reason I mentioned him, he is a academy player but more matured, Rashford the exception, don't expect managers like Mourinho or Conte, even Guardiola now to start players with 18,19 or 20 from the academy, with the amount of money and media pressure to win, ain't gonna happen.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I thought he did well in a somewhat unfamiliar position. I'm happy to see that he's improving and have faith that he's got a good head on his shoulders and will be a very good player for us.

buckooo1978

was solid enough considering it's not his natural position

Bolasie got away from him a couple of times in the first half but he looked comfortable after that

ReallyUSA

Was by himself a good portion of the game with Mata roaming into the ten spot. They asked a lot of a CB in his firs year in the EPL. Good on him.

Tincanalley

Maybe you were not here when Matic was doubted by many caf people.
Caf people and Manchester United supporters. There is crossover between these groups, but there is a subtle difference

Tincanalley

Maybe you were not here when Matic was doubted by many caf people.
In fairness, I wasn’t one of those who were clamoring for Jose. But I thought that most people, like me, were thrilled by the arrival of Matic. I remember people questioning why Chelsea were allowing us to take one of their best players. I’m not disagreeing with you but I think those saying such stuff are pretty clueless

Pat Evra

He was okay today, more or less, but thing about him, for me, is that he just looks few levels below PL when it comes to physical part of the game.

He just isn't strong and quick enough in 1 vs 1 and rarely wins direct duels when there is not any advantage for him in those. Needs a lot of gym time, I think.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Playing at right back exposed his poor abilities, he has no pace, can’t jockey and can’t bring the ball out of defence. A complete waste of money.

I would love to see the report from the scouts when they were watching him. Complete and utter joke, IF they are still in a job, they shouldn’t be.

izec

Tuanzebe and Mensah are better right backs, without a doubt.

At CB, we still have to see them for United in the first team, but i imagine they wont be worse than Lindelöf, who wasnt great for us so far. Still dont understand spending 30m on him when we got 2 youngsters coming through being very good for that age and us needing recruitments at other positions.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Gus, it seems that you are a fully paid up member of the Lindelof fan club, or perhaps even related to him. I watch a different player to you clearly, one who is average at best at the top level. That said, I don't have the enthusiasm for as Lindelof argument today given that we won. We shall have to agree to disagree on this lad.
I guess Young is a shitty defender then. I mean he got dribbled past three times against Southampton. LOL.
Tuanzebe and Mensah are better right backs, without a doubt.

At CB, we still have to see them for United in the first team, but i imagine they wont be worse than Lindelöf, who wasnt great for us so far. Still dont understand spending 30m on him when we got 2 youngsters coming through being very good for that age and us needing recruitments at other positions.
I haven't watched Fosu-Mensah a lot. But I'm skeptical that he's a better right back.

Lindelöf got 6.72 as right defender (180 minutes) on WhoScored.com Fosu-Mensah have 6.63 as right defender (430 minutes).
Lindelöf got 7.02 as a center back (450 minutes). Fosu-Mensah got 6.57 as a center back (438 minutes).

Tuanzebe haven't played any Premier League matches so I have nothing to compare with.

I understand that you and many others have a blind hatred towards Lindelöf, which is kind of cute, but it's kind of retarded when you think that a player that doesn't even cut it in Crystal Palace and have low ratings should replace an internationally experienced center back with high ratings.

I feel really sorry for Lindelöf though that Young got suspended. He needs to play more as a center back as he's doing very well in that position.

Positively speaking I guess Lindelöf gets a good chance now to work on his tackles, interceptions and offensive duties when he play as a right back. That will probably benefit him onwards as a center back.

izec

I guess Young is a shitty defender then. I mean he got dribbled past three times against Southampton. LOL.

I haven't watched Fosu-Mensah a lot. But I'm skeptical that he's a better right back.

Lindelöf got 6.72 as right defender (180 minutes) on WhoScored.com Fosu-Mensah have 6.63 as right defender (430 minutes).
Lindelöf got 7.02 as a center back (450 minutes). Fosu-Mensah got 6.57 as a center back (438 minutes).

Tuanzebe haven't played any Premier League matches so I have nothing to compare with.

I understand that you and many others have a blind hatred towards Lindelöf, which is kind of cute, but it's kind of retarded when you think that a player that doesn't even cut it in Crystal Palace and have low ratings should replace an internationally experienced center back with high ratings.

I feel really sorry for Lindelöf though that Young got suspended. He needs to play more as a center back as he's doing very well in that position.

Positively speaking I guess Lindelöf gets a good chance now to work on his tackles, interceptions and offensive duties when he play as a right back. That will probably benefit him onwards as a center back.

Lindelöf hasnt got high ratings, thats bang average. Palace were a shambles at the beginning of the season, these ratings are downward biased due to one playing for United and the other for Palace.

The question is not who is better, the question is was Lindelöf worth it considering we got the other 2.

Classical Mechanic

@Gusjaros

Young is a winger, his qualities are in attack. He’s a decent defensive full back but he does get done too easily at times. Watch Shaw for a great one on one defender, when in form.

Also, whoscored is not in anyway a definitive rating system, you ignore the context of the teams that the players play in, which is significant, for a start.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Lindelöf hasnt got high ratings, thats bang average. Palace were a shambles at the beginning of the season, these ratings are downward biased due to one playing for United and the other for Palace.

The question is not who is better, the question is was Lindelöf worth it considering we got the other 2.
It's definitely above average. Maybe not high but better than average. Most defenders struggle to get above 7 in rating.

Davinson Sanchez for instance that a lot of people suggested is better than Lindelöf have a rating under 7, and he costed 40 million euros compared to Lindelöf's 35.

I think you're making up excuses. Tomkins in Crystal Palace for instance have a very high rating, 7.4. Team performance doesn't affect the individual scores the way you imply.

Fosu-Mensah might get better in time but right now he's light years away from Man Utd. Four players have a higher rating than him as center back in Crystal Palace. Two as right back. That's why he's not playing instead of Lindelöf.
@Gusjaros

Young is a winger, his qualities are in attack. He’s a decent defensive full back but he does get done too easily at times. Watch Shaw for a great one on one defender, when in form.

Also, whoscored is not in anyway a definitive rating system, you ignore the context of the teams that the players play in, which is significant, for a start.
Getting dribbled past twice is no disaster. But that stat is bs in this case anyway. According to WhoScored.com he got dribbled past at 23' but that's not a dribble. That's Rojo and Jones fecking up in the central defense and a ball getting through to Niasse (who was positioned between Jones and Lindelöf) who then got a shot away that got blocked by Rojo who raced back.

The first dribble past was in the beginning in the game and if you look at it it's not really a dribble from Bolasie. He doesn't get past Lindelöf. He's a couple of inches ahead but he's not past Lindelöf. He's still on "the right side" of Lindelöf, having Lindelöf between him and the goal. It's ridiculous that Opta counts that as a dribble.

izec

It's definitely above average. Maybe not high but better than average. Most defenders struggle to get above 7 in rating.

Davinson Sanchez for instance that a lot of people suggested is better than Lindelöf have a rating under 7, and he costed 40 million euros compared to Lindelöf's 35.

I think you're making up excuses. Tomkins in Crystal Palace for instance have a very high rating, 7.4. Team performance doesn't affect the individual scores the way you imply.

Fosu-Mensah might get better in time but right now he's light years away from Man Utd. Four players have a higher rating than him as center back in Crystal Palace. Two as right back. That's why he's not playing instead of Lindelöf.

Getting dribbled past twice is no disaster. But that stat is bs in this case anyway. According to WhoScored.com he got dribbled past at 23' but that's not a dribble. That's Rojo and Jones fecking up in the central defense and a ball getting through to Niasse (who was positioned between Jones and Lindelöf) who then got a shot away that got blocked by Rojo who raced back.

The first dribble past was in the beginning in the game and if you look at it it's not really a dribble from Bolasie. He doesn't get past Lindelöf. He's a couple of inches ahead but he's not past Lindelöf. He's still on "the right side" of Lindelöf, having Lindelöf between him and the goal. It's ridiculous that Opta counts that as a dribble.
So Tomkins is better than Lindelöf? Could have saved us a lot of money if we went for him instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.