Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilev

Lindelöf isn't brought in as a cover. He will be a starter by next season the way he's developing.
God help us all then, surely.
He's done two matches as right back already and covered well.
He did a pretty shitty job, a modern full back must at least provide some sort of threat up front, he was a complete dud.
you look at the Everton game then Everton created zero shots at the right flank.
Right, a ig achievement that, esp since Everton create maybe like 2-3 good moments in the whole game. Not against United, but in general.
That's because you don't know anything about football.
I think it's has more to do with you being his personal fan or something.
Because for anybody who actually understand the football, it's obvious the guy in not an upgrade on Blind and a decent signing for say Leicester or Southampton, but a really top team should use much better players. As a RCB i'll take Bailly any day of a week.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
His passing ability way below Baillys and Rojo.
You mean the hoof up front, well that was a decent long pass. The problem is a player with actually good ball playing skills would pass the ball forward in like 30-40% of the cases. While Lindelof making like a 1-2 passes forward in the whole game.
And these long passes, i remember even Smalling (surely not a ball playing type) making them from time to time.
Please give me some examples. If you look at the ball it was clearly not a "hoof" and it created a dangerous chance. Fascinating how you failed to remember this pass since it happened only a few days ago.
God help us all then, surely.
He did a pretty shitty job, a modern full back must at least provide some sort of threat up front, he was a complete dud.
Right, a ig achievement that, esp since Everton create maybe like 2-3 good moments in the whole game. Not against United, but in general.
I think it's has more to do with you being his personal fan or something.
Because for anybody who actually understand the football, it's obvious the guy in not an upgrade on Blind and a decent signing for say Leicester or Southampton, but a really top team should use much better players. As a RCB i'll take Bailly any day of a week.
Everton did ok when it comes to creating chances. Their xG was 1.24 compared to Uniteds 1.26.

Like I said assuming he keeps developing I think he'll be a starter next season.

rampo

Seriously? Then name at least one moment in the game, any game at United, when he actually showed these so-called "ball playing" skills?
He is awful with the ball at his feet, i can't remember a single inventive pass from him at all. Even playing at RB, when you need your ball-skills he almost exclusively passed back, made safe passes. Then when he is in the tough situations he always hoofs it, always. Never once did i see him to actually play around the opponent.
Bailly for example does it in 50% of the cases. He is way more confident with the ball. Rojo too. And these people are not Pique or Boateng, they are just decent. But even they are miles ahead of Lindelof in terms of their ball skills.

Lindelof had a real stinker against Bristol. That was three games ago, including Everton's. So what you are on about, 8 games, what's that? Have you seen him at Bristol? Do you think that was a decent performance?
And as for other games, where is this progress exactly? I mean really. Name me a game where the swede was solid and had a good performance, deserving of a spot in United's team? For example Saints game, first of all zero of those ball-playing skills you talked about. Lindelof must have left them in the locker that day. Then was he solid at the back, well hi did not do any obvious blunders, like he had, thanks for that. But other than not making a mess i would not call his performance reassuring. For example, that moment, that great DDG save, it was Matic with Saints player, but where the hell was Lindelof, it was exactly his sport, RCB. And he was nowhere.
So his "better" performances are actually quite average ones, basically the ones where he did not screwed up. I expect better from a United's player.
First of all, there is no need to be so aggressive.

Secondly, if you can't see improvement in Lindelof over last 6 months, then there is no point arguing. Top of my head, I can immediately think of two good balls (one to Lukaku and another to Rashford) in his last 2-3 appearances. And before you shout again that it is not enough, he is a defender.

Third, you are slating a player using an example of him playing in RB, which is not in his natural position

Fourth, you keep on talking about match vs Bristol, but Rojo is at fault for the 2nd goal. So, not sure what you are on about

mancan92

It's ok to say that Lindelöf needs to work on say his aerial play, but to say that Lindelöf never have shown good passing abilities should be regarded as trolling. Look at the ball to Rashford against Southampton, that's just a few days ago. That ball opened up an attack that could've easily resulted in a goal.

Lindelöf was very good against Bristol City. The weak links in the defense that day was Darmian and Rojo.
Am I reading you correctly? He was good against Bristol? How is getting bullied all over the pitch by average championship players a good performance? They had a field day playing against him.

My problem like many here is that I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest that linderlof will be better than Axel or TFM. If they were given the chances he has I bet they would have performed to atleast the same level and in fact most likely better especially in Axel's case who has never looked at bad as Linderlof has in any game.

Last edited:

Bobski

He has improved, looked like a frightened rabbit in the first few months of his Utd career. Still not seeing the potential for him to make a leap to the top level of Cb's but at least he is playing at a competent level now.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Seriously reading some posts here Lindelof might have been involved with some girlfriends or wifes related with some posters :D

diplomat

I wonder what the plan was when Jose signed him - playing in a back 3, pairing with Bailly, being a deep CDM and basically a water-carrier or just add a squad option for the bargain price of 35 million pounds...

Home&Away

I wonder what the plan was when Jose signed him - playing in a back 3, pairing with Bailly, being a deep CDM and basically a water-carrier or just add a squad option for the bargain price of 35 million pounds...
Check my post on Blind's performance page. Jose talked about a special position that has to be a CB/CDM hybrid player basically replaced Blind like for like without improving nothing. Everyone protects Lindelof saying he isn't a RB when he was bought for his ability to play RB, CDM & CB; said by Jose himself. On the other hands Blind is compared to Shaw & young.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Check my post on Blind's performance page. Jose talked about a special position that has to be a CB/CDM hybrid player basically replaced Blind like for like without improving nothing. Everyone protects Lindelof saying he isn't a RB when he was bought for his ability to play RB, CDM & CB; said by Jose himself. On the other hands Blind is compared to Shaw & young.
He only played RB for Sweden under 21's and CDM for Benfica B, don't know what have you been watching, but certainly he is not a classic RB or CDM.

Home&Away

He only played RB for Sweden under 21's and CDM for Benfica B, don't know what have you been watching, but certainly he is not a classic RB or CDM.
Jose said he has the capability to play these positions & yet me and other fans don't compare him to other RB. Blind on the other hand is compared to young & shaw whilst being a good ball playing CB with the ability to play what I believe is this 'unique special position' that Jose talked about again when describing Lindelof. I'm all good with Lindelof but using him as an excuse to get rid of Blind is a tad worrying because I'm unsure if he is better than him in a lot of abilities. Both in the squad is good since we can have 2 players very versatile covering the right & the left if needed be..

poleglass red

he looks very uncertain when he is one on one defending. I think he's probably more suited to be playing centrally, which if we have everyone fit, he would only be used as cover. I hadn't seen him play in Portugal but there was big deal made about his ability with the ball, I have to say, to date I've been underwhelmed with what I've seen from him in that regard.

We need an rvn

Seriously reading some posts here Lindelof might have been involved with some girlfriends or wifes related with some posters :D
You're being modest. Probably their mum / aunt and sister too!!! This guy will come good. He's made some big improvements in his performance over the last 4 months. He's come from the portugese league to one of the biggest clubs in the world. Some of the stuff in this thread is laughable.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Jose said he has the capability to play these positions & yet me and other fans don't compare him to other RB.
Said when?

Not saying you aren't right but find it hard to see someone like Mou lying, so he probably sees him more as the type of polivalent player (don't know if these expression is used in English football), someone with the profile of O'Shea or Blind to compare with Man United players.

He must have watched that player dozens of times, so maybe he was thinking in introducing 3 at the back and signing other player with a different profile than the others he had.

Just trying to understand what was the rationality behind the signing, I guess the only player Mou wanted this season he didn't get was Perisic or maybe he would like to have signed Morata instead Lukaku, lets see how the rest of the season goes for you guys, I am a neutral on this one.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You're being modest. Probably their mum / aunt and sister too!!! This guy will come good. He's made some big improvements in his performance over the last 4 months. He's come from the portugese league to one of the biggest clubs in the world. Some of the stuff in this thread is laughable.
Rojo also came from the portuguese league and it was needed a portuguese manager to understand he wasn't a fullback, he just played as LB for Argentina because they don't have decent fullbacks since Zanetti retired, and he wasn't on the same level as Garay, Otamendi, Masherano or Demichelis in 2014.

If you go and read some of the stuff said about Rojo for 2 and a half seasons its something else.

And I am someone who doesn't like that much Lindelof compared with other centerbacks who played in Portugal, but I guess the problem here is lack of gym and pace...

eat_grass

Future captain. He's already being very vocal on the pitch and beginning to have a presence about him. Watch the way he interacts with the other players. And the passiveness that marked his start at United is completely gone.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
8/10 tonight. Decent going forward, very good in defence. Turning into a quality player as long as he keeps it up.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The guy has the most potential out of any of our defenders. He’s got an eye for a good long pass. Need to invest in him. He’s still young. Should have a mean set of centre backs in the years to come, if we can find the right midfield to shield them.

Devil may care

I like his attitude, not so keen on him at RB though, I know it's only a last ditch thing due to Tony and Young being out though.

Ace of Spades

He is improving from his early season rough patch, and I like the fact that he has done well at RB overall.

spiriticon

I like his attitude, not so keen on him at RB though, I know it's only a last ditch thing due to Tony and Young being out though.
I actually like him at right back. I think he can make it there since Valencia's getting on a bit and Darmian is shite.

Rajma

I think he needs to bulk up a bit over the summer, something our staff should look into imo.

ash_86

He is too defensive i feel. When he tries to attack the ball , gives away a foul. Needs to improve his timing big time

Stubble

Not a right back for me, good defensively but not got the proper physique/explosive pace needed to be up with the best in that position. Good as backup who will be defensively sound and pick the odd good pass in slower attacks but not a first choice. Ball playing centre back as far as i'm concerned..

Bobski

Have a feeling that he is a slightly upgraded Darmian. Capable but usually among the weakest of our starting line up. He needs to get a lot stronger for this league, too often we see him lose shoulder to shoulder confrontations.

However given where he started from he is clearly moving in the right direction.

Canagel

I wonder if he could do a job at DM. Mourinho has used Zouma and Luiz there before so it isn't unusual to see that with his CB's. I think Lindelof would slot there perfectly with his passing ability and composure.

Trizy

The guy has the most potential out of any of our defenders. He’s got an eye for a good long pass. Need to invest in him. He’s still young. Should have a mean set of centre backs in the years to come, if we can find the right midfield to shield them.
Not true. Bailey has world class potential.

There is a myth on here however that Bailey ''get's better the longer he's injured''. This is untrue, he was an absolute worrier and great on the ball when playing constantly. Came back from injury where he had one poor game then got injured so the previous myth has started on the Caf.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Not a right back for me, good defensively but not got the proper physique/explosive pace needed to be up with the best in that position. Good as backup who will be defensively sound and pick the odd good pass in slower attacks but not a first choice. Ball playing centre back as far as i'm concerned..
I agree with you, but I'd like to point out that one of the best wingbacks currently in the Premier League is a tall, slow lad named [Irrelevant point]. Football is constantly developing new styles and you can never stick to old clichés.

el3mel

I find it pretty harsh to analyze anything related to him as long as he plays as a RB. He clearly looks like an additional CB there rather than a fullback. It's not his position but he's doing the best he can in it.

MadMike

I agree with you, but I'd like to point out that one of the best wingbacks currently in the Premier League is a tall, slow lad named [Irrelevant point]. Football is constantly developing new styles and you can never stick to old clichés.
[Irrelevant point] is not slow at all

Walters_19_MuFc

I've been really impressed with him at right back. Didn't get tested much defensively, but looked pretty good going forward. Was always an outlet on the right, and threw in some nice crosses in.

RRCE

I’ve been critical of the kid in the past (justifiably so, based on his early performances), but he’s changing my mind. He still needs to improve significantly, but he’s definitely talented. He’s starting to play with much more composure. I trust Jose with defenders. It’ll be interesting to watch his development over the next couple of seasons. If he can stay healthy, he’ll have an advantage over virtually all of our other defenders!

Womp

idiot
I prefer him at CB. His ability on the ball and his passing is top notch, offers us another outlet from defence. Doesn't have the speed or the trickery to be a proper RB imo. We should be looking to sign a RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.