Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s a good footballer but he has absolutely no physical attributes at all, and as a result, I will be very surprised if he becomes a top player.

The way he got bullied by Mason Bennett, or the situation in the first half against Southampton when he got in a race with Shane Long and couldn’t outrun or muscle him, with him having to foul him - just examples. If he’s isolated he’s fecked. He knows what to do, but he’s just too weak or slow to execute one-on-one.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He’s a good footballer but he has absolutely no physical attributes at all, and as a result, I will be very surprised if he becomes a top player.

The way he got bullied by Mason Bennett, or the situation in the first half against Southampton when he got in a race with Shane Long and couldn’t outrun or muscle him, with him having to foul him - just examples. If he’s isolated he’s fecked. He knows what to do, but he’s just too weak or slow to execute one-on-one.
I was critical of Lingard and now he is turning into a great player, so i am a little more hesitant of criticising players now. Lindelof was good today and won a couple of physical battles. Remember everyone was saying De Gea wasn’t physical enough but he bulked up and now look at him. Lindelof will be working on it in the gym, and he will come good, just be patient.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I was critical of Lingard and now he is turning into a great player, so i am a little nore hesitant of criticising players now. Lindelof was good today and won a couple of physical battles. Remember everyone was saying De Gea wasn’t physical enough but he bulked up and now look at him. Lindelof will be working on it in the gym, and he will come good, just be patient.
I’m not criticising him per se. He’s a good footballer. Him being weak and slow are not so much his fault, but they are likely to be obstacles. If he only had one, he’d be fine, as he has strengths in his head too. But he has neither, so unless he’s the most intelligent defender ever, and even then tbh, I think he’ll struggle.

Daley Blind isn’t a powerhouse or a sprinter I guess, so maybe Lindelof can sort this, as I don’t see Blind get pushed about the way Lindelof does.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I’m not criticising him per se. He’s a good footballer. Him being weak and slow are not so much his fault, but they are likely to be obstacles. If he only had one, he’d be fine, as he has strengths in his head too. But he has neither, so unless he’s the most intelligent defender ever, and even then tbh, I think he’ll struggle.

Daley Blind isn’t a powerhouse or a sprinter I guess, so maybe Lindelof can sort this, as I don’t see Blind get pushed about the way Lindelof does.
I am sure Lindelof was rapid for Benfica though?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Haha, well I always thought one of his qualities was his pace, I watched him a few times for Benfica, and also remember people on here saying he is a pacey player.
People on the caf probably like to sound more informed than they are tbh.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's not fast but he's certainly not slow
Well he isn’t as slow as my nan, but he’s comfortably our slowest centre half, and I’d imagine likely in our slowest 5 outfield players. Two geriatrics make up two slots in that list.

cyberman

@Rozay
Again I would have to disagree with that as well.
Even if you make the argument about being the slowest of our CBs that would be a valid point if we had slow CBs.
I have never seen a post on here questioning the pace of our centrebacks, it just seems like a point plucked from thin air just to criticise him with.

Jidaraku

RB is not his preferred position but he is still better suited than Darmian.

TypeR

Did well at RB, but looks a player filling in than a natural fit.

I think Lindelof's passing is excellent and quite underrated here. I think he has attributes that may potentially allow him to turn into a top class CB, but he needs to catch up on the physical front. He's getting pushed around a little too much for a CB. Smalling isn't that much bigger physically but holds his ground much better compared to Lindelof.

Micky Targaryen

After today's game, I have a feeling Jose intends to use Lindelof as a CB/RB like how he used Ivanovic at Chelsea. I wouldn't mind that at all :drool:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Haha, well I always thought one of his qualities was his pace, I watched him a few times for Benfica, and also remember people on here saying he is a pacey player.
No way, his relative lack of pace was always highlighted as one of his weaknesses.

JoaquinJoaquin

Not the long term answer at RB, but a more than adequate replacement for when we need someone to fill in. Not sure where that will leave Fosu Mensah though, who is better at that position

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Not the long term answer at RB, but a more than adequate replacement for when we need someone to fill in. Not sure where that will leave Fosu Mensah though, who is better at that position
Why is Fosu Mensah a better right back than Lindelöf in your opinion? I have a hard time understand this.

JoaquinJoaquin

Why is Fosu Mensah a better right back than Lindelöf in your opinion? I have a hard time understand this.
Fosu Mensah is quicker, stronger, better in the air and a stronger passer IMO. I prefer Lindelof at CB as I think teams would make Lindelof a target at RB if he played there consistently.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
@Rozay
Again I would have to disagree with that as well.
Even if you make the argument about being the slowest of our CBs that would be a valid point if we had slow CBs.
I have never seen a post on here questioning the pace of our centrebacks, it just seems like a point plucked from thin air just to criticise him with.
You think I plucked Lindelöf lack of pace from ‘thin air’?

Fair enough.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's a solid player now which is nice to see. Time will tell if he's worth the fee etc but for now, I feel like we can trust him out there on the pitch which is alot more than can be said about likes of Darmian.

spiriticon

While pace is useful, it doesn't really matter if he can ping a good cross in from just past the halfway line. He won't need to outsprint a defender too often.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Fosu Mensah is quicker, stronger, better in the air and a stronger passer IMO. I prefer Lindelof at CB as I think teams would make Lindelof a target at RB if he played there consistently.
I guess I just have to watch Fosu-Mensah play since so many of you think he's a good right back.

Handré1990

You got three out of four at least. Fosu Mensah a stronger passer? That’s great! I love to have a laugh!

Handré1990

Lindelof fanboy I presume
Nope, I agree with three out of four. Just that having watched Fosu-Mensah, calling him a stronger passer than Lindelöf is ridiculous. Lindelöf’s strong side thus far seems to be in the passing department.

So, Fosu-Mensah fanboy I presume? (Am I doing this correctly?)

Rossa

Being outpaced by Shane Long is the same as being slow? Long may be a very average player, but he is very fast, and Lindelof was not much slower. I am more concerned with him and Jones losing headers against the likes of Long.

Rossa

Well he isn’t as slow as my nan, but he’s comfortably our slowest centre half, and I’d imagine likely in our slowest 5 outfield players. Two geriatrics make up two slots in that list.
His pace looks comparable to Rojo. Far from slow, but not rapid. Smalling and Bailly are two of the fastest CBs around. Jones is also very fast once he gets going.

togg

I think his progression just proves what pretty much all the premier league managers say about buying in from abroad. It really takes time for them to adjust to the pace and physical nature of the Premier League. It's happened time and time again with the foreign players we have bought. Very few players hit the ground running, some never adjust as we have discovered. So, it's great to see that in this case we could indeed have a great player emerging in our league.

JoaquinJoaquin

Nope, I agree with three out of four. Just that having watched Fosu-Mensah, calling him a stronger passer than Lindelöf is ridiculous. Lindelöf’s strong side thus far seems to be in the passing department.

So, Fosu-Mensah fanboy I presume? (Am I doing this correctly?)
I wouldn't say it was ridiculous at all. There probably isn't much in it, but to say one is a lot better then the other in that department I wouldn't really agree with.

Haha and no not at all. I think he is an excellent prospect though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Being outpaced by Shane Long is the same as being slow? Long may be a very average player, but he is very fast, and Lindelof was not much slower. I am more concerned with him and Jones losing headers against the likes of Long.
It’s an example. It also highlighted how weak he is. He will face bigger tests than Shane fecking Long, both in terms of speed and strength.

King.of.Red

Happy with his improvement till now, especially his confidence. His passing is really good. Although he indeed needs to be stronger again. Jose and his staff certainly have plan to increase Lindelof physical strength.

Handré1990

I wouldn't say it was ridiculous at all. There probably isn't much in it, but to say one is a lot better then the other in that department I wouldn't really agree with.

Haha and no not at all. I think he is an excellent prospect though.
I agree. He’s a very good prospect, but one of his detractors is inconsistent and unadventurous passing. It really didn’t show yesterday, but Lindelöf has had passes every game since he started filling in after a bad start, where it takes creativity, vision and skill that most CBs simply don’t have.

spiriticon

I agree. He’s a very good prospect, but one of his detractors is inconsistent and unadventurous passing. It really didn’t show yesterday, but Lindelöf has had passes every game since he started filling in after a bad start, where it takes creativity, vision and skill that most CBs simply don’t have.
Creativity, vision and skill are not key attributes for a centre back though. A centre back in the english game needs positioning and aerial strength as their number one attributes, neither of which Lindelof possesses in great abundance. He's currently alright at right back because his defensive feckups aren't as obvious, whilst he still manages to ping some great crosses in.

Status
Not open for further replies.