Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I would start with Bailly and Jones against West Ham. Did think Lidelöf had a decent game today. Although Smalling was slightly better. We defended fairly well although Reals attack is just the best in the world so not easy to keep them out.
I believe Jones still has one more match until his suspension is up.

ZDwyr

First time I have seen him play and I'm undecided on him - maybe slightly negative. I thought he looked a bit rattled and nervous, with a few little mistakes. Hopefully he can get some confidence ASAP though - a bad start in the PL and I can see the media going after him a bit.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
First time I have seen him play and I'm undecided on him - maybe slightly negative. I thought he looked a bit rattled and nervous, with a few little mistakes. Hopefully he can get some confidence ASAP though - a bad start in the PL and I can see the media going after him a bit.
Need to give him a while before we judge. Vida and Evra were both awful in their first few games. Hopefully he is a fantastic long-term stalwart.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
I'll keep saying it. A centerbacks main job is to DEFEND. He's not good at it. Definitely not 30 million good.

He'll learn, but I don't start him over a healthy Bailly, Rojo, Smalling OR Jones. Good thing we have an abundance of CB depth.

Still...RM are a good team. I'd definitely keep starting him against lower tier opponents.

Baxter

I'll keep saying it. A centerbacks main job is to DEFEND. He's not good at it. Definitely not 30 million good.

He'll learn, but I don't start him over a healthy Bailly, Rojo, Smalling OR Jones. Good thing we have an abundance of CB depth.

Still...RM are a good team. I'd definitely keep starting him against lower tier opponents.
Seriously, basing that on a pre-season and 1 competitive game?

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Still doesn't look offside to me, Smalling's leg is playing him on. It is a gamble because in any case it is so tight that the Lino doesn't call it. What more proof do you need?
Alright, lets just agree to disagree. I'm off for a burger anyway and that feels more important right now. :D

AshRK

Why doesn't he suffer from the same level of opprobrium as Fellaini?

He is a lesser player. He messes up the balance at the back.
Because he has just played 1 official game for us ffs. Fellaini has been bang average for us since his debut. Few good games here and there doesn't make fellaini a good player.

NoPace

Good on the ball but he backs off attackers way too much.

On the 2nd goal, he has to make it at least a little tougher for Bale to slip through that pass to Isco. I think Lindelof's lack of athleticism means he likes to stand off attackers rather than give them space and at times, against quality players, that will see a great shot or pass picked while he's giving them time and focusing on not getting beat 1 on 1.

Tarrou

Are you basing this off of just preseason or from watching him beforehand?

Frank Grimes

Patience will be needed, hopefully he will come good. Certainly ridiculous to judge him before he has played a PL game. How quick he can adapt to his defensive partners will be key to his settling in period.

Mike09

Casemiro was offside. How is it shit defending if he did his job and Casemiro had an illegal advantage?
If I remember it correctly, it was very tight. In that situation, I don't expect linesman to be able to see it clearly and I do believe we should have done better to prevent it.

Lindelof also didn't think it was offside as well.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
If he hasn't looked terrible - I wonder what your definition of terrible is. I know he needs time, but usually you see something good with a player - VNL simply looks awful!
Don't be silly. While he obviously hasn't inspired any confidence I don't think he's looked terrible at all.

He was much better today. He has a long way to go but he was not our worst defender this time.

barmyarmy

Kostov

I've seen the preseason games and i think he did better last night. We must keep in mind he played against Benzema and Bale two of the best attackers in the game. I think he was solid and will improve. Lets give him some time.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned

He's played less than half a dozen games!

Maybe, just maybe give him a chance to settle in yeah?

BULB

It was his best game, but you would have to say pretty disappointing so far, he doesn't seem to have any elite qualities for a defender.

Jose said before the game that he wished the others weren't suspended so he could give Lindelof more time, he knows it is a big problem.

He was slow to react to the ball going over the top, however having said that, the best defender in the world couldn't have stopped that goal with how the pass came in.

PeteManic

Very poor last night. Constantly beaten in 1 on 1s and out muscled. Not a great start.

izec

It was his best game, but you would have to say pretty disappointing so far, he doesn't seem to have any elite qualities for a defender.

Jose said before the game that he wished the others weren't suspended so he could give Lindelof more time, he knows it is a big problem.

He was slow to react to the ball going over the top, however having said that, the best defender in the world couldn't have stopped that goal with how the pass came in.
Most good defenders would have at least stopped/blocked Casemiro from getting a shot on target. The pass was good, but Lindelöf made it look like impossible to stop, which it wasnt. He just didnt realise the runner to stop it getting to Casemiro and then was even slower to react or couldnt be arsed to get back.

BULB

Most good defenders would have at least stopped/blocked Casemiro from getting a shot on target. The pass was good, but Lindelöf made it look like impossible to stop, which it wasnt. He just didnt realise the runner to stop it getting to Casemiro and then was even slower to react or couldnt be arsed to get back.
The pass was cm perfect, Casemiro had to even stretch for it, yet you are expecting it to be blocked.

izec

The pass was cm perfect, Casemiro had to even stretch for it, yet you are expecting it to be blocked.
Well once you fall asleep, there is obviously no blocking. A better defender wouldnt have lost Casemiro so amateurish in the first place. Casemiro isnt Messi, there was plenty of time to close him down, but not if you look like a u18 CB. Bailly and Jones would have been slaughtered for that, but they wouldnt have conceded that goal, since they would have tracked the run of Casemiro in the first place and got tight to him after receiving the pass

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I thought he and Smalling did alright considering the opposition. I think José will go with Bailly and Smalling against WHU though.

Tribec

I dread to think what the first pre-season and half a dozen games of Stam's United career would have looked like in a performance thread. I'm not saying he's that good, but he hasn't been Mal Donkey, Graeme Hogg standard either. He looks like he'll be fine to me, once he's settled into the club and into the area, his performances will improve and we'll see a decent player emerge.

Obiorahking_

If I remember it correctly, it was very tight. In that situation, I don't expect linesman to be able to see it clearly and I do believe we should have done better to prevent it.

Lindelof also didn't think it was offside as well.
What? He flashed his hand to the referee after the ball touched Case

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He looks a bit passive. While that's not necessarily always bad he does have to impose himself more. Yesterday there were some moments where he just backed off.

Castia

People are too harsh on him he was ok yesterday. He was playing against one of the best teams in the world for a new club it will take him a little while to get settled in.

A couple of pre season games and one glorified friendly and people think he's shit...nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.