Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Will look excellent in a three man defense IMO. I really liked the balance of our team yesterday.

AgentP

His best performance in a United shirt. A 3-man defence suits him perfectly. Carried the ball so well when he had space. This is more like it. Now he has to replicate this performance in a 2-man defense.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
As I said before, this guy can be the key against deep sitting oponents. His ball skills and forward runs will bring panic to those teams. It will be a matter of time before he starts against those teams on a regular basis.

hn4manunited

He played well against CSKA. Definitely much more sure about every move he makes.

I wonder if it’s because there’s another in the back (3 in the back) other than Smalling who he has been pairing with exclusively. The reason I say that is, I’ve noticed over the years that Smalling is a CB who requires a senior CB who takes charge right next to him to perform. Smalling is generally not the one that provides the stability and cover for the other CB. I would like to see how Lindelof would look when paired with just Bailly or Jones. I think it could just be a bad pairing with Smalling.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The comments about him being better on the ball than the other defenders and breaking down teams are such bullshit. I know we're biased as United supporters, but come the heck on, his passes are mostly sideways and he delegates responsibility to senior players. He's no Hummels nor United player ( as Roy Keane told Ferdinand on the training pitch the first time they met ) yet.

Deep sitting teams play on the counter and it's no use having a defender who is not aggressive nor brave.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He played well against CSKA. Definitely much more sure about every move he makes.

I wonder if it’s because there’s another in the back (3 in the back) other than Smalling who he has been pairing with exclusively. The reason I say that is, I’ve noticed over the years that Smalling is a CB who requires a senior CB who takes charge right next to him to perform. Smalling is generally not the one that provides the stability and cover for the other CB. I would like to see how Lindelof would look when paired with just Bailly or Jones. I think it could just be a bad pairing with Smalling.
Really? Because that's what he did in the 2nd season with Van Gaal and was superb. Covering for the defences mistakes and pretty much being a one man defence at some points, because Blind can be suspect defensively.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Really? Because that's what he did in the 2nd season with Van Gaal and was superb. Covering for the defences mistakes and pretty much being a one man defence at some points, because Blind can be suspect defensively.
Smalling was mainly poor for the latter half of van Gaal's second season, from Wolfsburg away onwards.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Smalling was mainly poor for the latter half of van Gaal's second season, from Wolfsburg away onwards.
He wasn't mainly poor, but certainly not as good as the first part. He was still better than all our centrebacks that season. At certain points he did reach those heights again. But the idea he needs a senior figure is really not true, as he performed very well as that senior figure. And even last season he managed to displace Bailley and Blind in the team at various stages of the season, and tbh, I thought he was unfairly dropped after the Real Madrid game as he was actually pretty good.

poacher

Yes his passing skills are an asset however he is suspect defensively which is the main job as a defender. Until he becomes a solid defender he will remain an expensive benchwarmer. There are defenders available that have the passing ability and combine that with solid one on one defending. Not sure why Mourinho decided to buy a project player rather than a first-team defender.

dogwithabone

Thought he looked very good against Moscow but then again I think I'd have looked half decent out there.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Really? How would Smalling be covering for the mistakes of Blind (who was our best centreback that season) when Smalling played the aggressor and Blind swept up?

-

Jose knows his centrebacks and I'm sure with time Lindelof will start to put these performances in regularly.

Kapardin

I'll just say it, he's our worst signing since Depay and Schneiderlin. Dunno what Jose or the scouts were thinking. He won't be at the club for very long.

He's actually at the level of Lovren or even worse ffs.

Hopefully Rojo comes back soon. We have 4 functional defenders already, this seems to be an unnecessary buy.

AgentP

I'll just say it, he's our worst signing since Depay and Schneiderlin. Dunno what Jose or the scouts were thinking. He won't be at the club for very long.

Hopefully Rojo comes back soon. We have 4 functional defenders already, this seems to be an unnecessary buy.
Didn't see the game. Was he really that bad against Holland?

Halftrack

Christ, his hand goes up to maintain balance. Looks clumsy as feck, but you'd think he murdered someone going by the reactions on here.

The complete lack of patience from people on here with regards to new young players is embarrassing. It's like a bunch of angry 12-year-olds in here at times.

podurban2

Didn't see the game. Was he really that bad against Holland?
Do you think that poster has a clue? of course not.

I didn’t pay much attention to the game but I saw him make a couple of very good interceptions.

Sweden as a whole just sat back and tried to avoid an 8-0 score sheet. It was not a bad defensive performance by the team. They were under immense pressure.

poacher

31m transfer and 120k per week. Lindelof looks like a poor defender. We could have got a good left back or right back for that money. Manchester United fans were saying this guy is a bargain when we signed him but it didn't take long for peoples opinions to change as they realized that the guy is a disaster waiting to happen. Lindelof looks really poor in the air and is positionally poor. We could and should have got either Manolas, Laporte, Jonathan Tah or any other CB and they would be better than this guy. Something doesn't add up, I am not sure why we brought this guy when there are tons of better CBs around.

meamth

31m transfer and 120k per week. Lindelof looks like a poor defender. We could have got a good left back or right back for that money. Manchester United fans were saying this guy is a bargain when we signed him but it didn't take long for peoples opinions to change as they realized that the guy is a disaster waiting to happen. Lindelof looks really poor in the air and is positionally poor. We could and should have got either Manolas, Laporte, Jonathan Tah or any other CB and they would be better than this guy. Something doesn't add up, I am not sure why we brought this guy when there are tons of better CBs around.
This is a guy, who just got his big transfer to the biggest club in the world. Gone are the days of "It's okay to do mistakes" to "Every mistakes is an evaluation of his shitness".
Poor guy, he is in massive pressure right now and he deserves better from us. I will wait to that day when he becomes one of the best in the world.

Wythenshawe

Ehm. Well, the penalty is just clumsy and unlucky. Unlike most here (I suppose) I watched the whole game and Lindelof was pretty solid tho. Even won a couple of headers against Bas Dost. Against Luxembourg he didn't have much to do.

Morpheus 7

Ehm. Well, the penalty is just clumsy and unlucky. Unlike most here (I suppose) I watched the whole game and Lindelof was pretty solid tho. Even won a couple of headers against Bas Dost. Against Luxembourg he didn't have much to do.
I watched the game and thought he was just ok, that's being generous. Sweden were ultra negative and barely had any of the ball, maybe they were to prevent the goal difference. Victor was anonymous as a whole, ball distribution poor. The penalty was dreadful, bad as you will see from a professional footballer. You wouldn't even see that at astro turf. It's early days with him but he needs to improve, he seems to almost have brain freeze at times, poor concentration. Let's hope he gets more confident and sharp in the coming games.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The problem I have/had with the Lindelof transfer was that it was pretty unnecessary. I’ve always said our current crop of CBs is more than good enough. Bailly, Jones, Smalling, Rojo and even Blind have all proven themselves to be quality for sustained periods on at least one occasion. And even then you have two excellent prospects like Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah who are some of the best CB prospects in the league!

Irrespective of Lindelöf’s potential, the transfer just seemed totally superfluous.

Corey

As bad a mistake as it was, am I the only one who thinks that technically it shouldn't have been a penalty?

FIFA's Laws of the Game say "Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm." Lindelof's handball did not look deliberate at all.

His arm was high and away from his body, but it looks like he was doing that to keep his balance rather than to intentionally touch the ball. Indeed, the Laws of the Game say that "the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence."

I'm not surprised the referee gave a penalty as they often do in these situations (when the handball is unintentional but clumsy). However, it seems there's a clear disconnect between what's written in the rules and what's enforced in practice when it comes to handballs.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He'll suddenly eclipse Bailly, Alderweirekd, Azpilicueta?
2 years isn’t exactly sudden, tbf. Hazard went from best in the league to player who went 365 days without scoring in that timeframe.

Status
Not open for further replies.