Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Unclear what he did wrong this game? Just stroked the ball back and forth, was under pretty much no pressure. Read the game well and nicked the ball once and twice, and we even saw a signature burst through the middle - he looks quite quick. Always looked to get the ball short from De Gea which I like. Looks like what we thought we were buying. We don't need a towering presence, Bailly is a beast, Matic is massive and Fellaini is the top 5 defensive header in the league from set plays, Pogba is huge etc. This guy is our play maker from the back and the foil to Bailly.
good post.

bucky

I would have signed Davinson Sanchez over Lindelof but not really a Mou prospect I suppose
The same player who was specifically targeted to press by Mourinho in the Europa League final, since he isn't as good on the ball as de Ligt or Lindelof? Glad, you aren't our manager. And D. Sanchez could be a Mourinho prospect, only we bought a similar player the summer before. We needed a defender who is a good passer, I reckon we got one.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Slightly disturbed to hear talk of how Lindelof "isn't that strong in the air". That's surely one of the key attributes for a centre back in the Premier league. Not for a lot of the games we'll have 90% of the ball for, but a lot of awkward aways..
I saw him for Benfica about 8 times and I was largely unimpressed with his defensive skills.
He makes some great last ditch challenges, but these were because he'd been caught out of position again, and had the pace to make amends.
Noticed at corners he sometimes didn't compete for the header, and this was often because he was out of position and not goal side of his attacker, which is a school boy error.

He is good on the ball though, distributes well, and is surprisingly quick.
Perhaps Mourinho's coaches can install some better defending skills into his game.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Can't remember the title of the video, but there was a very good YouTube video analyzing Lindelöf's strengths and weaknesses, rather than just showing highlights. He's got a lot of errors to iron out. We've paid a lot of money for potential (€35m rising to €45m). Gotta trust that Jose knows how to spot a defender though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Eh, that lad who was utter shite in the EL Final? Ok.
You are being unfair with him, he was good for a one man defense. As for Lindelof, it was the first preseason game, players aren't ready physically and mentally, they particularly lack the intensity and the first step which is the all point of those games.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
You all still think he's a dead certain starter for us in the beginning of the season? I told you so…

Robbie Boy

You are being unfair with him, he was good for a one man defense. As for Lindelof, it was the first preseason game, players aren't ready physically and mentally, they particularly lack the intensity and the first step which is the all point of those games.
Eh? He was terrible, he got away with a few blatant fouls and was targeted throughout. De Ligt was the far better of the two.

Anyhow, I haven't seen the game - plan to try get it somewhere - but the Lindelof bashing has been hilarious considering it was a pre-season game.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Thought Lindelof was having a really good debut until that first goal - was absolutely shocking defending.

There were things to be encouraged about and some things to work on. The guy is 23 and has only played 45 minutes for us. He will improve and Jose is the man to get him up to scratch.

Dazzmondo

Heading as a defender's attribute isn't as crucial as ability on the ball in today's football due to how football has evolved. High pressing is so common now, while strikers nowadays receive the ball on the ground much more than in the air. I think its still early days and with most of our players being over 6 footers, i wouldnt be too worried for now.
Tell that to John Stones

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Unclear what he did wrong this game? Just stroked the ball back and forth, was under pretty much no pressure. Read the game well and nicked the ball once and twice, and we even saw a signature burst through the middle - he looks quite quick. Always looked to get the ball short from De Gea which I like. Looks like what we thought we were buying. We don't need a towering presence, Bailly is a beast, Matic is massive and Fellaini is the top 5 defensive header in the league from set plays, Pogba is huge etc. This guy is our play maker from the back and the foil to Bailly.
I must have missed us signing Matic. Fellaini surely won't start that many games if we do buy another centre mid.
Long and short of it in the Premier league is you need 2 centre backs who can head it!

Infra-red

Bailly may be a physical beast, but his heading ability is actually his biggest weakness. Matic isn't ours yet and may not be (and if he is he might not play every game), Fellaini hopefully won't be playing all that often as a starter (I'm happy for him to be a squad player). It is a bit worrying how vulnerable we may be to any high balls this season.
Lindelof's weakness in the air is well-known, was talked about widely on here prior to his signing and Mourinho/United will certainly have been aware of it having scouted him for months. I assume that they either don't think it's crucial or believe he can improve significantly in that regard (ditto Bailly perhaps - they are both 1.87m tall).

Dazzmondo

Stones' problems with being a defender stems from having to actually defend and especially position himself to do so, not just heading.
Yes, it was moreso related to his statement about a cb's ability on the ball being so important. The most important thing about a cb is their defending including their heading, their ability on the ball should be a bonus not a necessity. Ferdinand was a brilliant ball playing cb but he was first and foremost a brilliant defender. For what it's worth not saying Lindelof is anywhere near as bad as Stones, I just object to the general idea of a cb's ability on the ball being more important than their heading, positioning, tackling, etc.

Gearbox Paddy

What we need is a CB partnership on par with Rio/Vidic, no doubt about it. This lad is going to be a regular for us for the next 10+years hopefully with Bailly as his partner. Who else do we have? Jones was shite tonight and I'd have Bailly over Smalling any day.

Really impressed with his balling skills, reads the game well, love to get forward and from what I gather he's good at free kicks.

Remember Jose doesnt mess around with defensive signings, he knows what he's doing.

el3mel

He didn't face many challenges I believe, Jones was the one at fault for the goal. He looks decent in the ball but still early to judge his defending abilities.

Next games will show his qualities.

Dazzmondo

Much better performance today. Looked more composed and positioning was a lot better. A couple of good clearances. It's good that both he and Bailly had good performances today after a poor 1st game. They will likely be our starting cbs going into the season so hoping to see them together again against City. Smalling also did well today. Jones was ok until the goal where he was just completely outmuscled.

Mr Smith

He didn't face many challenges I believe, Jones was the one at fault for the goal. He looks decent in the ball but still early to judge his defending abilities.

Next games will show his qualities.
Jones wasn't on the pitch for the goal :lol:

Edit: My apologies, thought you were talking about the LA Galaxy game.

Infra-red

I must have missed us signing Matic. Fellaini surely won't start that many games if we do buy another centre mid.
Long and short of it in the Premier league is you need 2 centre backs who can head it!
Well it would be nice to have at least one, anyway.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Blind being a better defender than most PL CBs proves otherwise.
I read enough comments about him making plenty of mistakes to think otherwise.
And if he's really "better than most", in the whole league (what an incredible statement), why have we basically just demoted him to 6th choice in our own squad?!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Really? That's an outdated view for me.
A lot of games we have most of the ball, granted, but there are still very physical teams who will look to dominate you physically.
Lindelof can't just not bother to jump like he did in the first friendly.

Nick.

How did Lindelöf get on against City? I didn't get to watch the game.

kundalini

City's best chance of the whole game came from Lingelof's pass being intercepted, requiring Smalling to save the day with a late block. Lindelof also appeared slow closing down a city midfielder for another shot that De Gea had to save. Generally, Lindelof seems far more comfortable on the ball than Smalling and Jones but his defending looks a level below them at the moment; that pattern has been apparent in at least 2 of the games, though possibly not the 2nd game.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Anyone a bit worried about the lad?
Considering it's the second game of preseason, no.

Let's wait until the season actually starts and how he performs in competitive matches once he's gelled a bit more with his teammates and the tactics.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Considering it's the second game of preseason, no.

Let's wait until the season actually starts and how he performs in competitive matches once he's gelled a bit more with his teammates and the tactics.
It's not the preseason though it's the fact that it's his first year in a new league totally different from the old one. I think it'll take him a lot of time to settle but i don't think we can afford that atm.

SaboTaj

City's best chance of the whole game came from Lingelof's pass being intercepted, requiring Smalling to save the day with a late block. Lindelof also appeared slow closing down a city midfielder for another shot that De Gea had to save. Generally, Lindelof seems far more comfortable on the ball than Smalling and Jones but his defending looks a level below them at the moment; that pattern has been apparent in at least 2 of the games, though possibly not the 2nd game.
It was Smalling actually who took his own sweet time to pass the ball to Lindelof in the first place. Smalling could clearly see that the City attackers were pressing and closing in and he still chose to pass it to Lindelof who was the closest to him and was being closed down. That was a pass Smalling could've made a few seconds earlier as well, when there was no one closing Lindelof down.

I don't blame Lindelof for his pass being intercepted since he was under pressure from the opposition player while receiving the ball from a slow AF Smalling.

Martial

Anyone a bit worried about the lad?
I was worried as soon as I saw bits of his first training session with us, he just looked slower and far more immobile than anyone else.

His subsequent games with us have done nothing to allay this. Especially after hearing from Benfica fans his heading isn't great, and that being proven right so early in our games.

Hopefully he settles soon, because his forward play for centre-back is one of the best I've seen.

Last edited:

ti vu

A CB who is strength lies with reading, then it's understandable for him to need more time to understand his teammates (what to expect from them, thus what needs to be done to help them). Playing the middle man role in 3 at the back is demanding & it's both new and tough given pre season nature with players ain't 100% fit. It's tough for new guy knowing little about other players. It's too early to judge.

AlexUTD

He will come good i think.

Still think we miss a leader in the back four and someone who you can depend on to win most aerial duels, still think we should have gone for van dijk for those attributes.

Status
Not open for further replies.