Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike09

What makes you think that? Michael Keane was the alternative and he was cautious because he wasn't assured of first choice football. Heck, when we signed Bailly he wasn't intended to be first choice either but circumstances of injuries and him performing far better than expected seemed to switch it up. I think Lindelof will be on the bench for a little while; I see Bailly + Jones/Smalling starting the season, and Lindelof having to play his way into the team. Which is fine, he's only 23 after all.
I think we all know what we need to make it as priority right now is to improve our first choice XI not to improve our bench. We have plenty players who can play as a centre back options including Tuanzebe and Blind.
Let's say if Lindelof might need time to settle in PL I can understand why since he's very young and came from a lower league. But I thought we signed him for first choice this season? If we want to give a defender time I would rather give it to Tuanzebe than spent a lot of money on a Lindelof. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for him to settle in.
I don't need to reply yours with different stuff. Two of my posts have clear explanation to answer your question if you read them

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think we all know what we need to make it as priority right now is to improve our first choice XI not to improve our bench.
I disagree. I thought - and still do - think that improving the first choice CB's wasn't really necessary. Not a popular view it seems, but for me any of Bailly, Rojo, and Smalling/Jones are good enough to be starting to seriously mount a title offence.

In any case, I just don't think a realistic improvement on what we have was likely -- those who are comprehensively better are at clubs with no desire to sell/players with no desire to leave, there was no real veteran CB with buckets of top-tier experience (only Pepe but he and Mourinho despise each other and he wanted a 2 year deal which he got at Turkey). All that was left was those in that middle ground who were not assured to be better than what we have - i.e. £60-70m rated van Dijk.

I do/did think Lindelof was a bit superfluous/redundant as I just didn't want a CB point blank unless it was one in the mould above, but he's here now.

I'd guess Mourinho sees him as a talent who possesses a few characteristics that are unique to the rest of the back-line, and at 23 he has a long time to prove it. So he'll be a bit of a squad option for the early aspects of the season. I could be entirely wrong here, mind.

Re: Tuanzebe, he's great and all, but it's almost guaranteed a manager in the position of Mourinho is going to look for more proven prospects - Lindelof did win the double in Portugal and played in the CL last year.

Last edited:

Mike09

I disagree. I thought - and still do - think that improving the first choice CB's wasn't really necessary. Not a popular view it seems, but for me any of Bailly, Rojo, and Smalling/Jones are good enough to be starting to seriously mount a title offence.

In any case, I just don't think a realistic improvement on what we have was likely -- those who are comprehensively better are at clubs with no desire to sell/players with no desire to leave, there was no real veteran CB with buckets of top-tier experience (only Pepe but he and Mourinho despise each other and he wanted a 2 year deal which he got at Turkey). All that was left was those in that middle ground who were not assured to be better than what we have - i.e. £60-70m rated van Dijk.

I do/did think Lindelof was a bit superfluous/redundant as I just didn't want a CB point blank unless it was one in the mould above, but he's here now.

I'd guess Mourinho sees him as a talent who possesses a few characteristics that are unique to the rest of the back-line, and at 23 he has a long time to prove it. So he'll be a bit of a squad option for the early aspects of the season. I could be entirely wrong here, mind.

Re: Tuanzebe, he's great and all, but it's almost guaranteed a manager in the position of Mourinho is going to look for more proven prospects - Lindelof did win the double in Portugal and played in the CL last year.
Like I have already said before "if Lindelof might end up need more time to settle in" like what people have been saying in here, that will be disappointed money to spent this summer. We could have used the money to improve our XI instead of our bench and I'm not talking about centre back only. Left winger, holding midfield or may be a left back can be the options.

And we do have plenty centre back options for depth in our squad. And also player like Tuanzebe is an example of young talented from academy with confidence and cost 0 who deserves to be given chances more than a 31m pounds. Remember we are struggling to sign both winger and holding midfielder but we used the money to sign a centre back who might not be our first choice. If he does then that will be a good money, but if he needs to take it too long to settle in then I'm afraid we have make the wrong decision since we could have use the money on other things to improve our XI.

I can't believe I have to rewrite two of my posts in one. I admit I never good in explaining, but I don't think you are good with reading either and I can tell from the way how you reply it and quote my post. If this discussion is going circle again I'm out mate sorry.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I look forward to seeing him play for the first time.

Otherwise, reading on here, it seems we've just lashed £30m on a guy who is a nice passer and runner, but can't head it, isn't very aggressive, isn't that good at defending, and seems to just be a mate for Bailly to chat to in lulls of play.
The talk of him being "One for the future" is the stuff I find worrying.

DWelbz19

I can't believe I have to rewrite two of my posts in one. I admit I never good in explaining, but I don't think you are good with reading either and I can tell from the way how you reply it and quote my post. If this discussion is going circle again I'm out mate sorry.
You've rewrote them because they're not very good points, mate. I am perfectly literate.
Like I have already said before "if Lindelof might end up need more time to settle in" like what people have been saying in here, that will be disappointed money to spent this summer. We could have used the money to improve our XI instead of our bench and I'm not talking about centre back only. Left winger, holding midfield or may be a left back can be the options.
This assumes we need[ed] the money spent on Lindelof to fund those other positions. That is obviously not the case. We're struggling to sign a central midfielder because our two top targets are players from direct rivals. We're struggling to sign a winger because his club is holding out for more money than we want to pay - but money we can afford. Or, if rumours are to be believed, unrealistic transfer demands (Martial included in some sort of deal).
And also player like Tuanzebe is an example of young talented from academy with confidence and cost 0 who deserves to be given chances more than a 31m pounds.
Not according to Mourinho. I'm sure even you can see why a 23 year old full-blooded international with over 50 games for the best team in Portugal is a wee bit more enticing to a manager who craves results than a youth CB.
Remember we are struggling to sign both winger and holding midfielder but we used the money to sign a centre back who might not be our first choice. If he does then that will be a good money, but if he needs to take it too long to settle in then I'm afraid we have make the wrong decision since we could have use the money on other things to improve our XI.
See point one.

Martial

I just saw his first half versus City again, he really was shocking.

I think he might need a lot more time to settle than we expected, but we can just about afford that with Jones/Smalling to fill in I guess. Thank fook we bought him before pre-season so he isn't costing us points right now. Can't see him starting the season as first-choice right now.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

I think he might need a lot more time to settle than we expected, but we can just about afford that with Jones/Smalling to fill in I guess. Thank fook we bought him before pre-season so he isn't costing us points right now. Can't see him starting the season as first-choice right now.
Based on that?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
His signing reminds me of Darmian. A player most on here had seen very little of, but before he kicked a ball for us were concluding that he was going to go straight into the side as first choice right back and that Valencia (see Smalling/Jones) could be sold. He's been bought for potential.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

I don't know what you saw but this comment is plain wrong. I have seen this game twice, second time focusing on the defense. Viggo made one dubious decision when he miss calculated one pass against one of England's best high pressing teams. Apart from another misplaced ball to Mhiki (who did thumbs up) Lindelöf was more then ok in the rest of his 45 minutes.

If you watched the game carefully you will notice that most of the time he was up against Augero but didn't looked out of place once. Yes he was probabaly nervous but I see this as a good sign, better be nervous then over confident.

If you're patient and willing to give him another couple of weeks you will hopefully see a more confident player. Better make a few mistakes in pre season and learn from this then the opposite.

Victor will get his chances, together with Bailly or Smalling, or in a three man defense. The player you should be worried about is Phil Jones. Wait and see, I think if the right offer arrives maybe he's sold before end of August.

Martial

Based on that?
I just can't remember the last time I saw a player struggle so much in pre-season. Maybe De Gea? Thankfully he eventually got over his issues despite it costing us possibly a league title in the meantime.

I also have never seen a player look poor in a public training session before, but it stood out to me when they showed us clips from it before he even played his first game. Sadly that feeling was proven right in his subsequent games.

Hopefully he settles eventually, because his attacking quality is fantastic and he have seen glimpses of that, and it can really help us break down teams who sit-back against us.

Martial

I don't know what you saw but this comment is plain wrong. I have seen this game twice, second time focusing on the defense. Viggo made one dubious decision when he miss calculated one pass against one of England's best high pressing teams. Apart from another misplaced ball to Mhiki (who did thumbs up) Lindelöf was more then ok in the rest of his 45 minutes
There was also the time he had acres of time and space in the middle of our half and just headed a weak header straight to a City player, and also when he stood off a City player and just let him have a strong shot on goal from edge of the Pen area at around 40 mins. From a player who cost 35m pounds and whose passing is meant to be his biggest strength, together with all the misplaced passes, and never passing the ball more than 10 yards, was disappointing.

People need to understand just because a player signed for us doesn't mean he can't play badly, and it also doesn't mean I don't have full confidence in him getting over these nerves and showing off his obvious attacking quality eventually, just that it will take a bit longer for him to settle than a lot of people expected.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I just can't remember the last time I saw a player struggle so much in pre-season. Maybe De Gea? Thankfully he eventually got over his issues despite it costing us possibly a league title in the meantime.

I also have never seen a player look poor in a public training session before, but it stood out to me when they showed us clips from it before he even played his first game. Sadly that feeling was proven right in his subsequent games.

Hopefully he settles eventually, because his attacking quality is fantastic and he have seen glimpses of that, and it can really help us break down teams who sit-back against us.
I would hope his time spent in Portugal is a better indicator than what we've seen in pre season, playing for a new team in various formations. It will of course take him a few games to climatise to his new environment and how his team mates work - especially as a centreback - but nothing suggests to me it'll take him any longer than it would for any other player.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

There was also the time he had acres of time and space in the middle of our half and just headed a weak header straight to a City player, and also when he stood off a City player and just let him have a strong shot on goal from edge of the Pen area at around 40 mins. From a player who cost 35m pounds and whose passing is meant to be his biggest strength, together with all the misplaced passes, and never passing the ball more than 10 yards, was disappointing.

People need to understand just because a player signed for us doesn't mean he can't play badly, and it also doesn't mean I don't have full confidence in him getting over these nerves and showing off his obvious attacking quality eventually, just that it will take a bit longer for him to settle than a lot of people expected.
Without disrespect but your comments seems to me as you have an agenda against him or you just having a bad day.

The bolded parts is just ridiculous and without any legs to stand on. Where and when did you see this? Show me clips of his shocking moments otherwise you better back track a few steps and just say you are a little bit worried. That's more then ok and a fair comment.

In general we must stop slaughter our player based on a few bad moment in our first two weeks in pre season. I saw Bayern M today and based on that game I can point out world class players who was shockingly bad. I'm sure Ancelotti and the Bayern hierarchy is quit relaxed about 0-4 against Milan without losing their common sense.

United have several weaknesses in our squad but CB isn't one of them. IMO we have four very good players if we include Rojo. Axel is a huge talent and maybe if we send him on loan he can develop to be a serious contender.

Victor Lindelöf will hopefully surprise many of our pessimistic supporters. He's a guy who raise to the occasion. I'm more then confident in his ability. Time will prove if he's good enough to be a fan favorite.

Paul_Scholes18

It is only pre season so don't think we should read too much into poor performances. I think we have many defensive options though. Valencia is certain to start and the rest we could change without it making much difference.

Nicklas

People need to relax and trust Mourinho on this one, the talent is obviously there. Not all players will slot in directly like Bailly, some players take time like Vidic and Evra.

redsunited

Mourinho told that he watches Portuguese league every week. In that case, it is a pure Mourinho signing, not any scout suggestion. So I have full faith in his judgement.

Mike09

You've rewrote them because they're not very good points, mate. I am perfectly literate.
This assumes we need[ed] the money spent on Lindelof to fund those other positions. That is obviously not the case. We're struggling to sign a central midfielder because our two top targets are players from direct rivals. We're struggling to sign a winger because his club is holding out for more money than we want to pay - but money we can afford. Or, if rumours are to be believed, unrealistic transfer demands (Martial included in some sort of deal).
Not according to Mourinho. I'm sure even you can see why a 23 year old full-blooded international with over 50 games for the best team in Portugal is a wee bit more enticing to a manager who craves results than a youth CB.
See point one.
You aren't very good reader that's why I need to rewrote it. And you have got no clue what I'm trying to tell you.

I find it funny how we need to strengthened our bench when our XI needs to be strengthened first. It's not about who's a better bench warmer between Lindelof and Tuanzebe.

If Lindelof is indeed might need to take time to settle in while Rojo is still injured then we spent 31m pounds for a player to sit on the bench in majority of our season (could have spent the money next summer instead of this summer). And it's not about Tuanzebe!! We still have Bailly, Smalling, Jones, Blind to cover two spots.

It's funny because we have 7 centre backs and the latest one that we bought is possible might need time to settle in. And we don't have a natural winger and also beside Carrick we don't actually have a natural holding midfielder. With the situation I have explained, it makes sense why people thought we spent the money on Lindelof and overload our centre back option as an upgrade of Jones, Smalling or Rojo.

pghcc

Your link seems a bit iffy.

pghcc

It's funny because we have 7 centre backs and the latest one that we bought is possible might need time to settle in. And we don't have a natural winger and also beside Carrick we don't actually have a natural holding midfielder. With the situation I have explained, it makes sense why people thought we spent the money on Lindelof and overload our centre back option as an upgrade of Jones, Smalling or Rojo.
Keep the faith. A DM will be bought.

Lawman

Bloody hell he's only played a couple of bounce games and some are writing him off.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Not writing him off but He is a completely pointless buy when you think about it and I Still don't see why we signed him,

I know smalling and jones get a fair bit of hate but at the end of the day we had a good defensive record last season, defence should be the least of our priorities it's our attack and midfield that need a boost.

we only conceded 29 which is second best behind spurs. We've also got blind, tuanzabe and TFM that could drop into centre back if needed so Spending £35+ million on lindalof wasn't necessary at all tbh especially when there's other positions needing upgrades much more.

I'd rather we just saved the 35 million and put it in a pot for somebody else in another position.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
My first time opening this thread.
Jesus Christ :lol:
This place is a disgrace at times.

And the worst thing is that it's usually agenda driven posting. People having digs at Lindelof because he threatens their favourite player.

It was the same nonsense we saw with the Rooney fanboys. Whenever he did poorly, it was always 'But xyz is doing poorly though'

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Not writing him off but He is a completely pointless buy when you think about it and I Still don't see why we signed him,

I know smalling and jones get a fair bit of hate but at the end of the day we had a good defensive record last season, defence should be the least of our priorities it's our attack and midfield that need a boost.

we only conceded 29 which is second best behind spurs. We've also got blind, tuanzabe and TFM that could drop into centre back if needed so Spending £35+ million on lindalof wasn't necessary at all tbh especially when there's other positions needing upgrades much more.

I'd rather we just saved the 35 million and put it in a pot for somebody else in another position.
We don't need to save money elsewhere to sign players in another position.

It's already been mentioned why we have struggled to complete the rest of our signings. And it has nothing to do with this deal.

RonaldoVII

Another mistake :nervous: at least it's only pre-season. For all the supposed talk of him and Bailly starting the season as first choice, we've yet to see anything at all to suggest he should be doing.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think that's the worst tackle I've ever seen

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Error strewn preseason. Maybe he'll get better? Struggle to believe he's playing that much better than Tuanzebe would be though.

PoTMS

As someone that's never seen him play until the MU tour, he's still as of yet to convince me. That challenge from him there was so bad, I don't think even Jones or Smalling would do that.

luke511

At least we didn't really need a centre back in the first place :nervous:

TehRed

I know it's pre-season and all, but there's zero excuse for ever going into a challenge like that in your own penalty area. Only ever going to be one result and that's a penalty. Why he decided to make the attempt I do not know.

Wayne's World

Pitch-forks will be out for him I'd imagine.

Give him time, three games won't make or break him. He'll take time to adjust

Status
Not open for further replies.