Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentP

What I expected Lindelöf to be like is a taller, more physical version of Blind. One thing I'm a bit worried about is that he doesn't look like the aggressive kind of defender who you can depend on to win the 50-50s. He is always on the back foot when defending. I guess it will take some time for him to adapt to his teammates and the epl.

I loved Bailly from the minute I saw him play but I just don't get the same feel from him. Hopefully he'll grow as the season progresses and Jose will mold him into a better defender.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
I think its just a confidence thing atm. He'll come good later but he looks like the shadow of the player that played against France.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I've only seen highlights of pre-season so far, but I'm not concerned. It's pre-season. Fitness and cohesion over performance.

Like fitness, cohesion won't come instantly, and even harder to forge when lineups are constantly rotated throughout these games. We play a lot more pre-season games than normal this summer, and then the super cup all before the West Ham. Lots of time to keep building on that.

Still, I don't think it's fair to judge any player until we start seeing them in the Premier League. We've had nothing players have storming pre-seasons, and our best players have poor ones. It's all about getting up to speed.

podurban2

What I expected Lindelöf to be like is a taller, more physical version of Blind. One thing I'm a bit worried about is that he doesn't look like the aggressive kind of defender who you can depend on to win the 50-50s. He is always on the back foot when defending. I guess it will take some time for him to adapt to his teammates and the epl.

I loved Bailly from the minute I saw him play but I just don't get the same feel from him. Hopefully he'll grow as the season progresses and Jose will mold him into a better defender.
Out of curiosity, you base this on two games or do you mean he was always on his back foot at Benfica and Swedish national team?

CG1010

Why did you think he was the aggressive kind of defender? By all accounts he has been brought to complement Bailly and not copy his style.

AgentP

Out of curiosity, you base this on two games or do you mean he was always on his back foot at Benfica and Swedish national team?
No, just based on the two games I've seen here and the Sweden vs France game. Maybe he needs a bit of time to get going.

AgentP

Why did you think he was the aggressive kind of defender? By all accounts he has been brought to complement Bailly and not copy his style.
Yes of course. But Benfica fans say he is weak at headers and from what I have seen he is not aggressive enough when the situation demands. So wondering if he is any better than Blind. But all this is just based on a few games I've seen of him. Will need more time to judge him objectively.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Haven't been impressed by him so far, I can't remember him doing anything that really stands out, plus he's not actually been that good on the ball.
Hopefully it's just the nerves and him settling into a new side.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
There is no pressure though. Bailly was good for most parts while Rojo will be first choice if he plays like he did last season. So he will have to fight against Jones and Smalling for game time which can only be a good thing

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Haven't been impressed by him so far, I can't remember him doing anything that really stands out, plus he's not actually been that good on the ball.
Hopefully it's just the nerves and him settling into a new side.
He made one great run forward, so you can see he's decent on the ball. He's definitely not hit the ground running, though. Looks like it will take him a little while to get up to speed.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He made one great run forward, so you can see he's decent on the ball. He's definitely not hit the ground running, though. Looks like it will take him a little while to get up to speed.
Yeah I anticipate him settling in, it just looks like it will take longer than most expected.
I think Jose will rotate Bailly & Smalling as first choice pairing for the time being, and probably pair Lindelof with Smalling as opposed to Bailly just because he's the most experienced. When Lindelof settles in, him and Bailly should be first choice I imagine.

daveoliver91

It's gonna be a long season TBF and it's good to have several players to cover our defensive line.
Of course he won't be ahead of Baily or Rojo but he'll be able to play some cup games.
Nevertheless, I think he'll get better. He just needs some confidence and get sharper.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's come from a weaker league and he doesn't start for one of the premier national teams, so it is understandable if this is a big step up for him and he will take time to adapt.

Of course there is no guarantee he will, but Jose is usually pretty spot on with defenders and lets judge him after a year or two. Ideally Rojo comes back asap and we can slowly integrate him into the side throughout the season.

Lentwood

Lindelof will be a project for Jose. I thought it was bizarre that so many expected him to go straight into the team. Rojo and Bailly were outstanding last year and tbf to Jones we were all singing his praises until he got injured again toward the end of the season. Even Smalling had his good games and was widely considered our best CB a couple of years ago

Point is, we have the luxury of being able to ease him in gently

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He needs time. I don't think he will be a regular first choice centre back this season.

It will probably be a couple of seasons before we see the very best of him.

Players need time to adapt. Vidic looked pretty poor when he joined and look how that turned out.

Not all young centre backs can have a hit the ground running start like Rio Ferdinand.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For me, it will take a fair amount of improvement for me to not see him as a pointless alternative to Blind.

In my opinion, Blind has rarely let us down and is a very good centre half, despite all the pundits trying to create a narrative that he is not suited for the PL. This has been completely unfounded so far, and there has been a more than big enough sample of games. Blind is great on the ball, reads the game well, but is not rapid or aerially commanding. What is Lindelof supposed to offer that he can't? And this isn't an attack on Lindelof. Just that even if he turns out to be great at what he's supposed to be great at, he will still have the same strengths and weaknesses as Blind, who himself is very good.

izec

Could have gone for Keane for less money and save a lot of adapting.

Not impressed so far, and as someone said, i doubt we will see a lot of him this season, unless injuries happen.

pghcc

He looks nervous. Look at his behaviour during the start of this video, both when exiting the tunnel and during the initial line up on the pitch.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Looks like he has the shits, hardly playing the ball out to midfield like he did at Benfica.

pascell

I was worried as soon as I saw bits of his first training session with us, he just looked slower and far more immobile than anyone else.

His subsequent games with us have done nothing to allay this. Especially after hearing from Benfica fans his heading isn't great, and that being proven right so early in our games.

Hopefully he settles soon, because his forward play for centre-back is one of the best I've seen.
Worried after the first training session? Of course he's going to be off the pace, think of the travelling and the intensity of the new training sessions he's being put through. Soon as he's up to speed he'll be fine, look at Mkhi he was a bit slow but then soon adapted to the intensity of the league.

I'd rather see him making the mistakes in pre season than big games in the league or CL. It'll give Jose and the coaches time to show him how to handle the situations better and I bet he's been nervous to impress also.

His heading will improve I'm confident of That, even if it doesn't Smalling, Jones and Bailly weren't very convincing with their heads last season, sometimes taking 2/3 times to get it clear.

Mike09

Let's say if Lindelof might need time to settle in PL I can understand why since he's very young and came from a lower league. But I thought we signed him for first choice this season? If we want to give a defender time I would rather give it to Tuanzebe than spent a lot of money on a Lindelof. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for him to settle in.

Litch

Im all for people having an opinion but please.....some of these comments are ridiculous. Fair enough if we are in October but 3 games into pre-season? Did I read someone said he was nervous? No shit Sherlock. I give up.....

SouthPredators4

The reason for this purchase is his ability on the ball and to bring it out of defence. He will play against teams that park the bus against us and opposition teams will have to face an additional outfield player with ability to contribute to the attacks.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Let's say if Lindelof might need time to settle in PL I can understand why since he's very young and came from a lower league. But I thought we signed him for first choice this season? If we want to give a defender time I would rather give it to Tuanzebe than spent a lot of money on a Lindelof. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for him to settle in.
I'm not sure what made people assume he would walk in as first choice straight away. Mourinho himself said he was bought to give options and depth to the squad.

Not worried about him as I'm happy enough with our other CB options at the moment. Hopefully he proves to be better than them but I've seen plenty of big signings fail here in recent years.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Worth remembering the period Vidic needed to settle. Let's give him it, we're stocked in his position.

Crashoutcassius

I must have missed us signing Matic. Fellaini surely won't start that many games if we do buy another centre mid.
Long and short of it in the Premier league is you need 2 centre backs who can head it!
I guess we will see - people have seen saying fellaini won't play for a few years now and are just consistently wrong

Mike09

I'm not sure what made people assume he would walk in as first choice straight away. Mourinho himself said he was bought to give options and depth to the squad.

Not worried about him as I'm happy enough with our other CB options at the moment. Hopefully he proves to be better than them but I've seen plenty of big signings fail here in recent years.
I think we all know what we need to make it as priority right now is to improve our first choice XI not to improve our bench. We have plenty players who can play as a centre back options including Tuanzebe and Blind.

FromTheBench

What i don't get is why both him and Bailly only are playing on the right side of defence ?

Jones and Smalling aren't natural at left side either and get wrong footed, so his signing seems less effective if he cannot play left side.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Of all the signings we've made or been linked with he's probably the one we can most afford take time to settle.

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
His defensive qualities isnt anything special really, and they have never been, but he will definitely develop them further on, like all young defenders. Defending has, in difference to more offensive qualities, a lot to do with experience. There are few young defenders who is great at defending, a lot of them though, turn out to be in their late twenties.

Lindelofs best qualities is his pace and passing. Therefore it surprise me that he hasent dared to hit those amazing long passes he did so great in Benfica. Probably a bit nervous to take that kind of decisions so early, but it makes me worry a bit. His defensive qualities isnt better than any of the other defenders really. Him not daring to use his best, is not good at all.

IMakeThingsUp

His defensive qualities isnt anything special really, and they have never been, but he will definitely develop them further on, like all young defenders. Defending has, in difference to more offensive qualities, a lot to do with experience. There are few young defenders who is great at defending, a lot of them though, turn out to be in their late twenties.

Lindelofs best qualities is his pace and passing. Therefore it surprise me that he hasent dared to hit those amazing long passes he did so great in Benfica. Probably a bit nervous to take that kind of decisions so early, but it makes me worry a bit. His defensive qualities isnt better than any of the other defenders really. Him not daring to use his best, is not good at all.
Pace? Really?

Kag

I've seen enough to know that both Smalling and Jones are better inherent defenders. Not as good on the ball, granted, but it depends what tickles your fancy.

If Bailly and Lindelof are our starting partnership this season then we'll concede more league goals than we did last season. I'm fairly certain of that.

This isn't knee jerk either. I just happen to rate Smalling and Jones a lot higher than many of our fans do. Their ability to actually defend is taken for granted and they're under appreciated as a result. As it stands, Lindelof would be nowhere near my starting line up.

haram

After some of the posts about our transfer targets im not surprised by the shite posted about Lindelof.

I've seen enough to know that both Smalling and Jones are better inherent defenders. Not as good on the ball, granted, but it depends what tickles your fancy.

If Bailly and Lindelof are our starting partnership this season then we'll concede more league goals than we did last season. I'm fairly certain of that.

This isn't knee jerk either. I just happen to rate Smalling and Jones a lot higher than many of our fans do. Their ability to actually defend is taken for granted and they're under appreciated as a result. As it stands, Lindelof would be nowhere near my starting line up.
Are you basing this off the pre season games?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
But I thought we signed him for first choice this season?
What makes you think that? Michael Keane was the alternative and he was cautious because he wasn't assured of first choice football. Heck, when we signed Bailly he wasn't intended to be first choice either but circumstances of injuries and him performing far better than expected seemed to switch it up. I think Lindelof will be on the bench for a little while; I see Bailly + Jones/Smalling starting the season, and Lindelof having to play his way into the team. Which is fine, he's only 23 after all.

haram

He's played something like 140 minutes in pre-season and some are already ready to write him off. Incredible.
People on here write players off without even seeing them play, what do you expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.