Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He looks like he's clearly lacking confidence. You can tell from glimpses he's an intelligent defender with skill. That's why united sign him however he just can't get out of his own head lately.

Kopral Jono

Settled down a bit in the second half but overall it was still a garbage performance. The thing with Lindelof is that I just can't see what makes him so highly rated, because Tuanzebe tonight looked at least three times the player he is.

Simply not good enough for us. Cut our losses, get rid and move on.

Daniel Moore

Sometimes a player looks that bad you just know there no way he’s gonna turn it around and Normally you have see more of them to formulate that opinion but he looks horrifying...it’s been a calamitous start it’s the stuff of Titus bramble

surf

Had never seen him before he joined. Based on Lindelof's United career so far, I have to agree with those who prefer Tuanzebe.

Dante

Average bang
He shits the bed on high and long balls. The more time he has to think about his next action, the more nervous he gets. And the more nervous he gets, the more likely he is to make an elementary error. Very much like Silvestre, although probably a level or two worse.

The lad obviously has talent, but he's also totally lacking in the mental constitution to be a player at a top club. It's the coaches' job to help him develop it. If they manage to do so, I'll be impressed because he's very lacking at the moment. Either way, it's going to take time. At least a season or two. Lindelof's issues don't allow for a definitive assessment at this stage.

moodyred

Lindelof needs to show more aggression, regardless whether he is playing well or not. Right now, he doesn't seem to show that he wants to be out there on the pitch.

In the past, you can give some players time to develop while playing in the 1st team. The EPL is so competitive now that we cannot afford it. He will be more suited to develop while playing cup games.

Dante

Average bang
With Lindelof, it's not about the development of his footballing ability. It's about curing him of his anxiety. There's no roadmap for that. It could take days or, more likely, it could take years. Or it might never happen. Jose's man-management is going to be pivotal.

jem

With Lindelof, it's not about the development of his footballing ability. It's about curing him of his anxiety. There's no roadmap for that. It could take days or, more likely, it could take years. Or it might never happen. Jose's man-management is going to be pivotal.
Or it could take a bit of Ibra...

meamth

It's difficult, I know that feeling. I know he is a good defender, but he just look shaken and unsettled. It's like when a high ball comes towards him, he is haunted by all the mistakes he have done this year. I know you can do it Lindelof.

Mr Smith

His confidence is rock-bottom right now, needs to be taken right out of the firing line. Was a good idea to keep him in the team for a low-risk game, but he just looks so nervous. Needs to be taken out of the team for another few weeks at least I reckon.

marlowe78

I'm all for giving players time but this guy...how much time will he need?

The question I'm asking myself is if United, already having to deal with Shaw's injury problems at LB, want to take on another project that might not ever come to fruition anyway?

IMakeThingsUp

I was about to say....He's done alright at right back. I read somewhere that he's played most of his career at right back too. Not quite sure why we're trying to shoehorn him into centreback. We need a backup right back anyway.
It was a RB he got picked in the euro under 21 team of the tournament...

prtk0811

Needs time, Despite his showing i feel he should play league cup and few fa cup games. Even the Last 2 ucl games when the qualification and the top spot is secured.

IMakeThingsUp

Needs time, Despite his showing i feel he should play league cup and few fa cup games. Even the Last 2 ucl games when the qualification and the top spot is secured.
I agree. If he underperforms then as well, take him out of the team for a few months before giving another run. If he fails that one....Bye bye..

Hambley

He did 2 mistakes last match, but this is not the end of the world yet. He is trusted by Mourinho to give him confidence of himself. This worked well with Fellaini after he gave a penalty to Everton. This is a psychological method. Victor is said he will be given a time to adapt to England. I see this situation so.

Lentwood

You do realise he’s playing at far below his usual level?
Assuming your point then is that his actual level is good enough for United then I am yet to see anything, not one moment, in maybe 10 games to suggest that is the case.

I would have expected to see something, anything, to desperately cling too but all I've seen is a lad who looks like a bad midfield player filling in and making a terrible centre half

Edit: Why am I being so harsh on Viktor? Because I am sick of it Pogue - we give these players to much rope on this forum. "Give Player X time", "If only player X played in this position", "if only Moyes, LvG, Jose would do this or change that", "if only they had this kind of player in the team".

All nonsense. Good players are good players. Simple. We should have been harsher with Mata, Herrera, Shaw and the rest of this rabble and we wouldn't be losing at Huddersfield like that 4 seasons after SAF left

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
A lot has been said from the Rashford angle of that Rashford-Lindelof picture but I haven’t really seen anyone say much about it from the Lindelof angle.

That’s a guy absolutely rock bottom on confidence and morale when one of our players feels the need to put a supportive arm around him and have a chat after we’ve scored.

It really can’t be understated just how much of a factor confidence can be and how much it can effect decision making and even basic dexterity. His head’s currently filled with doubts which make him overthink certain decisions “but what if this happens?” and no doubt full of thoughts like “if I try a big tackle here it will impress and get me back on track” which leads to daft decisions.

He needs to get that confidence back so he can have a bit of mental clarity on the pitch and then he will find it a lot easier to start making the right decision with higher frequency.

Craig Ward

Settled down a bit in the second half but overall it was still a garbage performance. The thing with Lindelof is that I just can't see what makes him so highly rated, because Tuanzebe tonight looked at least three times the player he is.

Simply not good enough for us. Cut our losses, get rid and move on.
Good to see you support man utd players and give them a chance, he hasn't even hit double figures in games for us and you want to sell him.

He hasn't started well, but that's not new. We could list hundreds of players who do the same, he isn't 1st choice anyway so lets give Jose some time to develop him and see where we go from there. Glad Jose put him back in against Swansea after his mistakes against Huddersfield, shows the manager backs him

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Assuming your point then is that his actual level is good enough for United then I am yet to see anything, not one moment, in maybe 10 games to suggest that is the case.

I would have expected to see something, anything, to desperately cling too but all I've seen is a lad who looks like a bad midfield player filling in and making a terrible centre half

Edit: Why am I being so harsh on Viktor? Because I am sick of it Pogue - we give these players to much rope on this forum. "Give Player X time", "If only player X played in this position", "if only Moyes, LvG, Jose would do this or change that", "if only they had this kind of player in the team".

All nonsense. Good players are good players. Simple. We should have been harsher with Mata, Herrera, Shaw and the rest of this rabble and we wouldn't be losing at Huddersfield like that 4 seasons after SAF left
I’ve no idea why you’re comparing the patience shown to someone who’s featured in just two league games with players that have been here several seasons but whatever, our opinions are so far apart it’s obviously best to agree to disagree.

Litch

Sorry, that's one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here and that's saying something. I don't even know where to start.....

Litch

Good to see you support man utd players and give them a chance, he hasn't even hit double figures in games for us and you want to sell him.

He hasn't started well, but that's not new. We could list hundreds of players who do the same, he isn't 1st choice anyway so lets give Jose some time to develop him and see where we go from there. Glad Jose put him back in against Swansea after his mistakes against Huddersfield, shows the manager backs him
Amen to that. Not saying he's good enough, just saying it's too soon to make that judgement. What I've seen before he joined is the polar opposite of what I've seen here. He's a ball carrying CB who's technically very good. He also has great passing range. I think it's a confidence thing and something that might take time and games to resolve.

Timdbro

I’m willing to believe he’s still too nervous or not used to the league to get the defensive part of his game right, what worries me is that he doesn’t look very good on the ball either, supposedly his strength.

poacher

I’ve no idea why you’re comparing the patience shown to someone who’s featured in just two league games with players that have been here several seasons but whatever, our opinions are so far apart it’s obviously best to agree to disagree.
I would agree with you if someone had one or two bad games as that can happen to anyone but Lindelof has been a big let down since he started his first preseason game. For 31m and 120k per week, I would expect a starting centreback, not an error-prone positional mess that can neither tackle or header the ball. Davidson Sanchez is a young CB finding his way in a new team and new league but the quality is there for all to see. With Lindelof, I can't see any quality at all. I would not attempt to sell him as frankly, no one would buy him given his obvious limitations instead I would work with him in an attempt to salvage something from the bad situation. I would also investigate the possibility of using him as either a right back or midfielder again under the heading of making lemonade out of lemons.

Pogue Mahone

I would agree with you if someone had one or two bad games as that can happen to anyone but Lindelof has been a big let down since he started his first preseason game. For 31m and 120k per week, I would expect a starting centreback, not an error-prone positional mess that can neither tackle or header the ball. Davidson Sanchez is a young CB finding his way in a new team and new league but the quality is there for all to see. With Lindelof, I can't see any quality at all. I would not attempt to sell him as frankly, no one would buy him given his obvious limitations instead I would work with him in an attempt to salvage something from the bad situation. I would also investigate the possibility of using him as either a right back or midfielder again under the heading of making lemonade out of lemons.
He’s been shite. Everyone agrees on that. Where I disagree is with all the back seat scouting experts who can state with absolute certainty that he will always be shite.

Everyone that has posted on here who is familiar with his career before we signed him seems to be in agreement that he’s a shadow of his usual self. Which is all the evidence I need to give him some more time before deciding he won’t make it at United.

Andersons Dietician

He’s been shite. Everyone agrees on that. Where I disagree is with all the back seat scouting experts who can state with absolute certainty that he will always be shite.

Everyone that has posted on here who is familiar with his career before we signed him seems to be in agreement that he’s a shadow of his usual self. Which is all the evidence I need to give him some more time before deciding he won’t make it at United.
Wait until he gets the opportunity to take on a free kick. Then you’ll see a drastic swing in opinion. By no means is he a Beckham. He’s just got that CB Cannon free kick that hasn’t been seen at OT in god knows how many years.

Jacko21

This is what I'm uncomfortable with.

People on here have not only written him off but have labelled him as one of the worst PL CB's they can recall.

The evidence is there from his time at Benfica. He's capable. But his confidence is shot.

If it takes him a season to be the player he's proven he can be, then we wait a season.

Pogue Mahone

This is what I'm uncomfortable with.

People on here have not only written him off but have labelled him as one of the worst PL CB's they can recall.

The evidence is there from his time at Benfica. He's capable. But his confidence is shot.

If it takes him a season to be the player he's proven he can be, then we wait a season.
I actually don't have a problem with labelling his performances as being up there with the worst they've seen. They have been diabolical. As I said last night it was almost like we were watching a fan who had won a competition. It's this insistence that bad performances mean he will always be a bad player that I find frustrating. And it's a recurring theme on here. Every time a player has a bad game - or bad run of games - we get a tonne of posts from assorted expert redcafe scouts who say they have spotted fundamental flaws in his game that mean he will never amount to much. We even got it about Matic after a couple of mediocre performances against Liverpool and Huddersfield. As though all of his MOTM performances from earlier in the season no longer mattered. He played badly therefore he is a bad player. End of discussion.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I actually don't have a problem with labelling his performances as being up there with the worst they've seen. They have been diabolical. As I said last night it was almost like we were watching a fan who had won a competition. It's this insistence that bad performances mean he will always be a bad player that I find frustrating. And it's a recurring theme on here. Every time a player has a bad game - or bad run of games - we get a tonne of posts from assorted expert redcafe scouts who say they have spotted fundamental flaws in his game that mean he will never amount to much. We even got it about Matic after a couple of mediocre performances against Liverpool and Huddersfield. As though all of his MOTM performances from earlier in the season no longer mattered. He played badly therefore he is a bad player. End of discussion.
Think people saying his defending or reading of the game is worrying is fair enough. I’ve noticed his body shape is really poor and this is basics (so worrying as danger is not snuffed out when you give yourself blind spots like he’s doing). I’m in the school it’s way to early to judge him but so far he’s looked poor. Hopefully he kicks on but the kid Tunzabe looks a step up in this moment in time. I’m happy with either succeeding to be honest.

Pogue Mahone

Think people saying his defending or reading of the game is worrying is fair enough. I’ve noticed his body shape is really poor and this is basics (so worrying as danger is not snuffed out when you give yourself blind spots like he’s doing). I’m in the school it’s way to early to judge him but so far he’s looked poor. Hopefully he kicks on but the kid Tunzabe looks a step up in this moment in time. I’m happy with either succeeding to be honest.
He's been absolutely hopeless in almost every element of the defender's game. But this includes stuff we know for a fact that he is supposed to be good at. So I'm not going to read too much into anything we've seen so far.

Ultimately, it's possible that he really is as crap as he looks and he somehow fooled our scouts, our manager and the fans from Benfica/Sweden. Time will tell. I just think we should avoid saying he will never make it at United until he's had a lot more time to settle in.

Paul_Scholes18

He looked nervous already in pre season and that have not gone away I think. Although I do think he is on the right track. The big errors might be good in the long run to get him out from only trying to avoid mistakes. Mourinho might not help since I think he often press the risk minimization part of football. Lindelöf I think need to play a bit more free and open to be at his best, but hopefully he can find a good balance with time.

red4ever 79

Speechless. That first 20 mins was shocking. Looked like a headless chicken caught under the spotlight. Made basic errors, doesnt look physically ready. This transfer is even more shocking when you see on the opposite side a young english defender with more ability and composure

mancan92

Amen to that. Not saying he's good enough, just saying it's too soon to make that judgement. What I've seen before he joined is the polar opposite of what I've seen here. He's a ball carrying CB who's technically very good. He also has great passing range. I think it's a confidence thing and something that might take time and games to resolve.
See I would be willing to give him time if I even saw these qualities. But I haven't see any confidence on the ball to even begin to say he's a ball playing cb. And his passing has been terrible so far. So many hopeless long balls with no direction.

Pogue Mahone

I found a scout report on Lindelof. According to the report he is supposed to be a tough tackler, good in the air and composed on the ball. If you read the report he sounds like a decent player. I am not sure why he has displayed zero of the positive traits outlined in the report.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/06/02/scout-report-victor-lindelof-benfica/
He went on to win the UEFA European Under-21 Championship with his national team in 2015 and featured in the team of the tournament
You see it's stuff like this that gives me hope. Even if it is just one tournament I don't see how any defender could make the team of the tournament if the flaws we've seen from him so far at United were part of his game back then.

MadMike

I found a scout report on Lindelof. According to the report he is supposed to be a tough tackler, good in the air and composed on the ball. If you read the report he sounds like a decent player. I am not sure why he has displayed zero of the positive traits outlined in the report.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/06/02/scout-report-victor-lindelof-benfica/
I don't know how seriously I can take a report that says:

"Not to be deceived by his lanky frame, he has a good amount of pace too"
"He has the natural pace to track runners..."

I mean, it's obvious he's not pacy. And that can have nothing to do with his adaptation, form or confidence... he's just not fast. Like if you read a scout report describing Mertesacker as pacy, you'd start doubting the author's judgement or wondering if he's ever actually seen him play.

Kopral Jono

Give him all the time in the world to settle in but there's absolutely nothing in him to suggest he's good enough for us. I'd love to be proven wrong but I just can't see it happening.

My point is we shouldn't waste our time on dross like him. City got rid of Mangala fast, we should get rid of him pronto and move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.