Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AXVnee7

Has to be a confidence issue first and foremost. Some of his stuff has been comical.

Hoping he will settle soon but at the moment it’s more so based on hope than anything else.

Kag

Forget the individual mistakes. They happen.

Watch him closely and the finer details of his defending is especially concerning. His anticipation is poor and is unbelievably easy to take on the turn. He looks every bit a dud at present, and I'd be worried about him even if it were not for the eye catching mistakes. His general defending is really, really shit.

The Bloody-Nine

If Lindelof was an 18 year old who had come up through the ranks then I could understand these types of performances. The guy cost us £30 million, though. I imagine that is why so many are being so harsh. You expect a certain level of competency for that kind of money. We haven't seen it yet.

Here's hoping he can turn it around.

Morpheus 7

If your nervous playing against a rubbish Swansea side, with no atmosphere in the ground then it's worrying. At least we know why they call him the ice man now.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Fair play. This transfer looks like another Obertan or Bebe.

Given how Mou threw Mkhi down a wall for three months last season, I'm hoping Rojo etc coming back will see him appearing less.
Nah, I wouldn't say that. Lindelof was an established player for a biggish european team and national team at a very young age. There obviously is something there. There was nothing behind Obertan and Bebe's transfers. Just pure randomness.

He might still fail, mind you, but it'd be a case more similar to Zaha, for example.

Home&Away

He should be playing the furthest forward of defences - right bang in the centre protected by 2 stalwart defenders; that's if he is good on the ball which I have heard he is but yet to see.

Blind is nuts and crackers better at it though.

LoneStar

I get that he's adapting to a new league and all, but cmon, you have to do the basics right. And I'm yet to see his passing skills too. It's a good thing that we have good depth in the CB department, especially after Rojo is back. I really can't see him getting ahead of Baily,Jones, Rojo and Smalling. A bit of a strange transfer overall, given our glaring lack of good fullbacks.

izec

Sometimes you have to hold your hand up and admit you fecked up.
Sell him asap and everything is forgiven, an absolute lemon. Djiliobodji type of level this guy, and that is unfair to Djilobodji

Boycott

I was not really being serious about the Zlatan theory. Just doomsday humor to highlight how weird this signing is.:lol:

He has been woeful though.
Fair enough. Do think the boy's confidence is shot given every piece of play is analysed and dissected. CBs need a run of games to get sharp and given this player is new to England it's much harder. You can't turn intensity on and off like a switch.

Gythio

Watch him closely and the finer details of his defending is especially concerning. His anticipation is poor and is unbelievably easy to take on the turn. He looks every bit a dud at present, and I'd be worried about him even if it were not for the eye catching mistakes. His general defending is really, really shit.
Totally agree with this. Sadly, he’s just not that good of a player.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Very good analysis, has he even made a tackle in his career yet ?

Hansa

I hope he proves me wrong, but this could well be another Poborsky - someone with a decent career everywhere else who for some reason look clumsy and out of it in England.

Litch

No doubt he's struggling but it's too soon to judge and whilst transfers don't always come off, he needs to be given more of a chance than just a couple of games.

engulfing

You know you suck when number 62 from Swansea reserves is turning you for fun. Has he won a header yet? It's hilarious until you remember we paid 30 million pounds for the privilege.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The positive of 3 at the back is that when he makes his mistakes he's a bit wider, so there's usually still a man central to mop up :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If Lindelof was an 18 year old who had come up through the ranks then I could understand these types of performances. The guy cost us £30 million, though. I imagine that is why so many are being so harsh. You expect a certain level of competency for that kind of money. We haven't seen it yet.

Here's hoping he can turn it around.
It's a bit worrying that we obviously scoured Europe and decided he was the man to bring in. £30m!
Jose has a history of buying good centre backs though, so maybe it'll turn.

AndyJ1985

Indeed.

The thing for me is that he's probably 5th choice CB and were given the chance earlier than JM wanted in the Premier League. He will be back to bench/watching from stands soon again. This season is just to get to know his team etc. I don't see the problem.
You don't see a problem with spending £30m on a defender who is utter shit at defending?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Indeed.

The thing for me is that he's probably 5th choice CB and were given the chance earlier than JM wanted in the Premier League. He will be back to bench/watching from stands soon again. This season is just to get to know his team etc. I don't see the problem.
The problem i'd say is why on earth would you pay £30m for a guy to be a backup defender, when so far it's hard to argue we couldn't have done better from our own reserves.
Or gone the other way, paid a bit more and got one of the best defenders out there.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Poor logic. What did Fellaini do for Everton to demand 27.5 million for a player who, at his prime, still does not have a defined position? What did PSV do to prove depay is good enough? The selling club has no obligation nor do they care about how the player turns out.. Most of the purchases United have authorised recently have been overpriced and ineffective. Although it is early, it would be no surprise if Lindelof falls into that category
:confused:

Fellaini was great for Everton. You're using his versatility as an argument against him which is strange. His best position is quite clearly central midfielder in a box to box role. Not sure what you're on about there. He has grown to become a very important player for us, you can't deny that. He's starting ahead of Herrera who was one of our best players last season according to a poll here on the caf.

Memphis scored 22 in 30 games and was the standout player in the Eredivisie in his final season for PSV. Again, what exactly are you on about? I don't understand your arguments at all.

Lastly, you state that 'most of the purchases United have authorised recently have been overpriced and ineffective'. How can you make that statement? Our recent purchases have been Lindelöf, Matic, Lukaku, Zlatan, Mkhitaryan, Bailly and Pogba. Most will agree that Lindelöf was overpriced, that's about it. In hindsight it's quite clear that Pogba wasn't overpriced. Ousmane Dembele cost €105m, Neymar cost €222m, Morata cost £58m and Lukaku cost £75m + £15m. Comparing his price to the mentioned ones which are some of the recent big money transfer shows that he in fact wasn't overpriced. Lukaku too, that's the going rate for a top striker. Mkhitaryan cost around £27-30m which, after his final season where he delivered 15 assists and 11 goals in the Bundesliga, wasn't overpriced at all. Zlatan was free. Matic was clearly not overpriced either, he's been great and most people agree that Chelsea shouldn't have sold him.

You also say that the recent players we bought have been ineffective. I'm not going in depth as to why you're wrong here, it's a waste of time. Most of them have clearly not been ineffective and you're simply not making any sense here.

Last edited:

spiriticon

Looks very nervous. Pressure of playing for united could be getting to him.
Why on earth would you be nervous playing in the 4th round of the Carabao Cup at Swansea?

I hate to think how many underwear changes he'd have to make if he played Barcelona in the CL semi's.

IMakeThingsUp

Why on earth would you be nervous playing in the 4th round of the Carabao Cup at Swansea?

I hate to think how many underwear changes he'd have to make if he played Barcelona in the CL semi's.
Probably because he knows that if he makes another mistake or don't play well threads as this will continue to push the agenda that he is worthless.

poacher

Indeed.

This is complete garbage. This season is to get to know the other players my arse. The man cost 31m and 120k per week he should either be a starter or challenging for starts not hidden away because he is so bad. Davidson Sanchez is starting against Real Madrid and does a great job whereas this guy is terrible in most games he has played. Lindelof is not just a little rough around the edges he is terrible. I think we should try him out in the midfield because he simply doesn't look like a defender to me. How does this guy get the nickname the Iceman?

Jean claude van hire

I'm not defending the guy he's looked poor again but I don't buy into this theory though. If anything the weaker opposition may increase the nerves as it heaps extra pressure on the player in terms of expectations. The real pressure comes when united are expected to keep a clean sheet and he feels more under the spotlight.

Ekeke

That is untrue Mourinho handed Woodward a list of positions that needed filling and players to fill them all ranked from top to bottom. I presume he was one of the names on the list. Mourinho has also stated that he knows everything there's to know about Lindelof and players from the Portuguese league so Mourinho must take the blame unless Lindelof was option 3 and Woodward went with him because he was cheaper than the preferred options. Lindelof even being on the list of preferred options for CB is shocking! How can a defender not be able to header the ball or make a tackle?
Well he obviously can, when on form. Not to an amazing level, but a basic standard level sure. He's in poor form having not got settled so far. Not the first player to be that way. He will of course improve. That doesnt mean he'll ever be half as good as people hyped him to be in the summer though

spiriticon

I'm not defending the guy he's looked poor again but I don't buy into this theory though. If anything the weaker opposition may increase the nerves as it heaps extra pressure on the player in terms of expectations. The real pressure comes when united are expected to keep a clean sheet and he feels more under the spotlight.
I don't think anybody is that bothered about a clean sheet to be honest. All people want to see is what he's good at. Some flashes of talent and potential.

Jean claude van hire

The fans might not be that bothered about a clean sheet (in respect to Lindelofs performance) but I would guarantee that his team mates and Jose certainly do. Anyway his confidence seems to have grown in the game, so I hope for our sake he continues to improve.

spiriticon

I was about to say....He's done alright at right back. I read somewhere that he's played most of his career at right back too. Not quite sure why we're trying to shoehorn him into centreback. We need a backup right back anyway.

VanTastic_

Well, the only positive for the guy after the last couple of performances is that he can only improve. But for now I’d rather give tuanzebe more playing time as he has shown more promise as well as actual ability despite being a few years younger than him.

Kamprad

I have yet to see an argument from Lindelof defenders about why we should give him time. Saying Vidic and Evra came good is not an argument, at least they had some redeemable traits when they started badly. This guy has nothing, no strength, speed, heading ability, decent on the ball, nothing. I'd bet my mortgage on this guy getting loaned back to Benfica next year and being sold the year after for £10m.
Seems like you know nothing about football. A player with no confidence can be completely garbage and when he gains his confidence he can be a Top player.

Status
Not open for further replies.