Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Well he will play tonight - we have no choice

If he was as bad as some of you are saying then Mourihho would pick that up in training and not play him - surely.

He needs to get a performance or 2 under his belt and relax then see where he goes. Dont write him off yet he might turn into a decent player.
Give him a chance.

littlepeasoup

Usually I'd say let him try and play his way into some form, but the margins are so tight, especially in the Premier League that one brainfart can cost you 3 points.

That being said, we're so light defensively at the moment that I think he'll get games. It's his job to try and keep the likes of Jones and Rojo out of the team with his performances.

SteveTheRed

I'm not writing him off yet purely because Benfica fans genuinely seem surprised that he is not doing well. If they were laughing and saying how they had sold us a lemon, it would a different story but they seem to think he is class and so did/does Mourinho

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm not writing him off yet purely because Benfica fans genuinely seem surprised that he is not doing well. If they were laughing and saying how they had sold us a lemon, it would a different story but they seem to think he is class and so did/does Mourinho
Yeah there seems to be a good player in him, he's just had a rough start.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
The problem is also everybody, including Mourinho, apparently, were expecting a Bailly kind of start, that Lindelöf would be an immediate starter. I took the time, in the beginning of the season, to warn against it. The expectations shouldn't have been so high, he's wasn't physically ready for the Premier League.

Lindelöf is a decent youngster, proven in a minor league, but I can't see how he's to become a fundamental center-back for us; and if he's not coming to our first team directly, why not wait for Tuanzebe's developpement? Or we go for experience, like Marquinhos or something like that, or better not splash the money on hope.
None until January, unless Mourinho finally sees Blind as more than a chance center-back. Rojo won't be available anytime soon. I very much doubt Lindelöf will impose himself as Bailly did. Even so, if I had to choose, I would keep Jones and let go of Smalling, but his height might protect him.
Two inexperienced center-backs, really? Bailly is great, I'll grant you that, but he's a bit on the crazy side and also irregular. Lindelöf might be out of his depth here. Don't think Mourinho will risk it, honestly. And there's no rush, is there? Jones or Blind can perfectly stand for Rojo while he's injured, at least in harder games.
Does Jones have to play every match so that Lindelöf's not first choice? Were people expecting Bailly, when he was bought, to be first choice? Now we know… I think the opposite might happen with Lindelöf, people expecting him to start ahead of Jones or Blind and then… Besides being two right center-backs, the pairing Bailly-Lindelöf looks raw to start the Premier League, I would say. Unless Lindelöf shows himself from the start head and shoulders above the rest, I doubt Mourinho will risk it so soon, he might just ease him up in home games with lots of possession or the League Cup, first.

Paul_Scholes18

Just trawl through this place back then, both Valencia and Rojo were crucified, especially the latter. And Valencia was a bang average FB till 2015/16.
Nope he did well that first LVG season. Pretty much all our decent games with him included Valencia. Yes he struggled with crosses like now and with our attack being slow and not doing much Valencia certainly didn't help speed things up.
Still though in the Liverpool games, against Man City, Tottenham, Arsenal he played really well if I remember. Solid in general just like Young on the left.
Rojo struggled a lot as a fullback, but did alright defensively when played with Smalling as a central defender that season in many games.

Many people seem to blame the endless passes sideways and not attacking much on the players when it was very clear that it was instructions from LVG. Herrera who did attack direct got benched for it.

jungledrums

The problem is also everybody, including Mourinho, apparently, were expecting a Bailly kind of start, that Lindelöf would be an immediate starter. I took the time, in the beginning of the season, to warn against it. The expectations shouldn't have been so high, he's wasn't physically ready for the Premier League.
Love posts like these :lol:

Charles Miller

The problem for players to develop these days is that they are under a severe scrutiny and cant put a foot wrong. Especially when at a new club.
In the past without social media, internet, the coaches would have more time and less pressure to work with the players and make them better.

I remember Rivaldo playing so bad for Corinthians in the State League...i think he was 22, and they refused to buy him in the end of the loan..if it was today the fans would write him off for sure.

Lindelof suddenly is inferior to his best version. Why? I dont think is the league. He was excellent for Sweden nt and now he's bad there too.
This is all in his mind. Confidence. After some months out of the spotlights, people will forget his errors and he will be able to show his real level.
I think he can become a very good passing CB.

Watch the Argentinian nt these days, even the best players will become pathetic when they lose confidence.

Trizy

I'd rather not see him play for us again if I'm being honest. I may sound harsh but he is a disaster waiting to happen again.

Sure we could stick with him through the tough part of his early United career like we did to De Gea but De Gea actually showed great ability and massive potential. As for this guy, I've not seen anything that warrants holding on to him any longer.

Pogbasky

I personally think he's talented. His ball distribution is actually really good, and his reading of the game is not bad. It's his man marking that's a problem. Which is why he reminds me of David Luiz, a player that is halfway between a central defender and defensive midfielder without really being neither one. It's also the reason why Luiz looks really good in a 3-4-3 formation, while he looks horendous with 4 at the back especially when he's not partnered with a commanding partner (remember his perfomance against Germany at the world cup when Thiago Silva was suspended?). I also fully expect Mourinho to groom Lindeloff into a top notch player because there's no better manager in the world when it comes to working with defensive talent.

The Bloody-Nine

Hopefully he can build some confidence this evening with a good performance. I am a little anxious, though.

Skeezix

Lindelof might be the worst CB I've seen play for a top flight English side ever
Lovren says Hi! Though it seems they are having a 'who has more mistakes per game' competition between the two of them at the moment

Swansea 0:2 Man Utd

renatosanches85

I have yet to see an argument from Lindelof defenders about why we should give him time. Saying Vidic and Evra came good is not an argument, at least they had some redeemable traits when they started badly. This guy has nothing, no strength, speed, heading ability, decent on the ball, nothing. I'd bet my mortgage on this guy getting loaned back to Benfica next year and being sold the year after for £10m.

Gee Male

I have yet to see an argument from Lindelof defenders about why we should give him time. Saying Vidic and Evra came good is not an argument, at least they had some redeemable traits when they started badly. This guy has nothing, no strength, speed, heading ability, decent on the ball, nothing. I'd bet my mortgage on this guy getting loaned back to Benfica next year and being sold the year after for £10m.
That's a ridiculously specific bet to put your whole mortgage on.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Ignoring his defensive mistakes, but isn't he supposed to be good with the ball? Where are all those Benfice experts who watched every game?

Macern

Pee pee pants
I think he was good with the ball for Benfica, and apparently good in reading the game. Give him time. He must have done something right for Benfica to make us buy him for ~£30m

jungledrums

Ignoring his defensive mistakes, but isn't he supposed to be good with the ball? Where are all those Benfice experts who watched every game?
Well yes... he is... so maybe that tells you he's simply not playing to his level at all? It's as though his benfica career didn't exist, fecking hell.

twopenceofreality

I think he was good with the ball for Benfica, and apparently good in reading the game. Give him time. He must have done something right for Benfica to make us buy him for ~£30m
Poor logic. What did Fellaini do for Everton to demand 27.5 million for a player who, at his prime, still does not have a defined position? What did PSV do to prove depay is good enough? The selling club has no obligation nor do they care about how the player turns out.. Most of the purchases United have authorised recently have been overpriced and ineffective. Although it is early, it would be no surprise if Lindelof falls into that category

Jetrooooo

Afraid to concede everytime he is near the ball. Havnt seen a good pass from him neither. Even Tuanzebe seems like a better passer already.

AndyJ1985

Doesn't matter what level of opposition we play, Lindelof is consistently atrocious.

Kapardin

Starting to think Jose bought him on Zlatan's recommendation. Yeah, it sounds stupid, but the alternative is that our manager, who is usually good with defenders, actually scouted and paid 30 mil for a guy who's competing with Lovren for the title of worst defender.

And I think he's pretty close to beating Lovren too.

Status
Not open for further replies.